• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Ninth Gate

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
One of my favourite fillums. :D

Not particularly a Depp fan, I just like the constant :shock: ness of it. ;)

A couple of years ago I read a lovely analysis of it online, but don't seem to have bookmarked it. It was all about how actual legends and the invented mythology of the nine engravings intertwined.

Can't find it now. Has anyone else seen it?
There are several but this one was very long and detailed.

Thank you, but it's not one of those. Read both already, a few times!

This other one had no pictures at all, just small dense text. It was so hard to read on screen that I considered printing it out but, y'know, other stuff happened instead...

Don't bother with the book 'The Dumas Club', I read it hoping to get an idea of what the the ending of the film meant and the whole nine gates is a subplot of the book which is actually about lost chapters of an Alex Dumas book. Polanski really did polish a turd there.

escargot1 said:
A couple of years ago I read a lovely analysis of it online, but don't seem to have bookmarked it. It was all about how actual legends and the invented mythology of the nine engravings intertwined.

Can't find it now. Has anyone else seen it?
There are several but this one was very long and detailed.

It's not this post off of a discussion on imdb, is it?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142688/boa ... #128996663

I watched the film again a couple of nights ago and give it a Twin_Star rating of 7.5, some very nice touches, stylish, non-Hollywood-feel, good direction, well worth a watch if you have a yen for religious thrillers.

Back