• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The odd world of Crispin Glover

GNC

King-Sized Canary
What Is It?

Appropriate title, by all accounts. It's Crispin Glover's long time in the making film about, erm, well who knows? It's being compared to Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, if anyone recalls that.

Here's the official site:
http://www.crispinglover.com/WhatIsIt.html

But whenever I try to see the trailer, it says it's not working and to come back later, frustratingly. And it seems the only way to see the whole film is to attend one of Crispin's slide shows. Come on Crispin, let's have a DVD!

I was under the impression this thing came out years ago. There's stills from the movie in the book Apocalypse Culture II, which came out in 2000. But the IMDB says it's a 2005 release.

It also features Feral House prez and Apocalypse Culture author Adam Parfrey in blackface.

Crispin has quite a caustic anti-Spielberg rant in ACII. Some quotes:

Do our cultural mouthpieces confidently inform us that the wish to anally rape Steven Spielberg is a bad thought? Could anal rape of Steven Spielberg simply be the manifestation of a cultural mandate?
Is it possible that the Columbine shootings would never have occurred of Steven Spielberg had never wafted his putrid stench upon our culture?
Would the culture benefit from Steven Spielberg's murder, or would it be lessened by making him a martyr?
Because I think it is possible a beautiful piece of non-lingual music could well be written by an angry victim once Steven Spielberg is a corpse. It could be that this angry victim of banal and ruinous propaganda will have written an anthem signaling a new era, a new thought process, a new music and a new culture that is deperately needed in the coming days and forever more.

Uh, Crispin? Didn't you appear in BOTH Charlie's Angels movies? Does wonders for your credibility, fucknut.

We discssued him in passing here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 473#645473

Check out the video links posted further down.

Now there is a new film out called Simon Says in which he stars:

Acclaimed actor Crispin Glover stars as Simon and Stanley, a pair of evil twins who grew up in a family divided and ultimately destroyed by jealousy, brutality, and a seething hatred between the brothers. Violence is the ultimate outcome and becomes the solution to all situations that invade their morbid world. Good and evil irrationally change places as the twins meet and greet the unwitting victims who happen by the derelict shop that once was the family business. On a glorious summer day, a group of college students on a "party-down" camping trip lose their way and find themselves not just players, but victims in the twins' favorite pastime... a life or death version of Simon and Stanley's favorite game... Simon Says.

With never-ending twists and turns, Simon Says traces Simon and Stanley's relentless, bloody rampage through the woods of their youth, obliterating the unwitting game players in terrifyingly original and horrific situations. One by one the trapped and panicked young souls encounter the diabolical mechanics of the twins' perverse game. The dysfunctional duo proves that ingenuity and a twisted evolution of childhood toys turned into crude but efficient killing machines can only lead to one inevitable and very bloody conclusion.

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/008024.html

Watching the trailer you are thinking so far so slasher movie and then...

Not enough Crispin Glover in the trailer though.

Give Crispin his own talk show, I say.

sherbetbizarre said:
It was only a matter of time before Crispin played a "friggin' 'tard" in a Friday the 13th-style slasher movie.

Well, if I recall, his character in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. ;)

The remake of Willard was fun, aah how many times have I wanted to shove a small, annoying dog into a bag of rats... ;)

ogopogo3 said:
Well, if I recall, his character in Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. ;)

Ah, good catch! I've only seen up to 3D then from about Part 7 onwards... ;)

HOLY CRAP!!

I just showed that clip to my wee sister. I prepared her by telling that Marty McFly's dad appears to be a bit of a nutter (she is a 13 year old BTTF fan). She reckoned that he was just acting in the Letterman clip. I replied that if that were so, his chosen way to act/behave on national TV was not really indicative of a stable mind.

(actually I said: if he is acting, he's making a bloody mad mess of it and just comes off looking like a complete nüt.)

While I generally can't stand Spielberg's last two decades worth of movies, the venom that Crispin displays goes back further. He refused for some reason to star as George McFly in the Back to the Future 2 & 3. Spielberg and Zemekis apparently refused to pay the exorbitant fee which Glover demanded. The success of the trilogy (as opposed to the unique success of the first film) must have made Glover incredibly bitter. It should be said that the 1997 Letterman clip was made two or three years after the first movie and two or three years before the second and third.

He was already behaving strangely. Letterman called him a dork and the crowd started to boo. It IS dangerous to call people names on national television.

...and they have started to crack down on Forum members and bloggers who hurl insults and repeat dangerous 'facts' about folk.

In this case though, Crispin Glover 'appears' to be completely unhinged. :shock:

It wasn't just the Letterman appearance that made people think he was a nutball. Around the same time, he was on Johnny Carson's show and he came off like a weirdo there, too. It wasn't as memorable as the Letterman appearance but this guy was definitely giving off some bizarre vibes.

Tonight I've been listening to Crispin's album, "The Big Problem?", and if you like incredibly strange music, then this is for you. A lot of it is spoken word and seems to be telling a story about some chap called Aderey, but what it's actually about is a mystery to me. Then there's the odd interlude, like an aggressive rap about the joys of masturbation, or a cover of "These Boots Were Made for Walking" which is delivered in a semi-hysterical crying fit.

He's one of a kind.

Anyone hear Crispin on Mayo and Kermode's review show this week? It's on the podcast if you're interested. He sounded like a really nice guy and a genuine oddball, and he's in the UK to do his shows, including one of his films. Sounds like a great night out if you like being baffled.

In between answering questions about his wax eyes collection, he also explained why he does the blockbusters now as well as the cult stuff he's more artistically fulfilled by - because he needs the money from the blockbusters to fund the cult stuff basically. Long may he continue, it's just as much fun seeing him in Wild at Heart as it is seeing him in Hot Tub Time Machine.

I think he'll be answering that question from now to the end of his life, and even after he passes over to the other side people will still be asking.

Re: What Is It?

gncxx said:
Appropriate title, by all accounts. It's Crispin Glover's long time in the making film about, erm, well who knows? It's being compared to Jodorowsky's Holy Mountain, if anyone recalls that.

Here's the official site:
http://www.crispinglover.com/WhatIsIt.html

But whenever I try to see the trailer, it says it's not working and to come back later, frustratingly. And it seems the only way to see the whole film is to attend one of Crispin's slide shows. Come on Crispin, let's have a DVD!

I watched a pirated copy of What is it? It was terrible! The holy mountain in my favorite movie and Glover says his influences are Buenel, Herzog and Fassbinder and I like all them. I think this hasn't been released on DVD because its terrible. Hated isn't even the word.

Back