• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Others

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Has anyone else seen The Others with Nicole Kidman? Forgive me if you've already discussed this, I ran a search and nothing turned up, so I hope you haven't.
This has to be one of the scariest films I've ever seen. It ranks right up there with the original version of The Haunting of Hill House with Julie Harris. Scary stuff. I won't say too much about it in case someone hasn't seen it, but that bit where the little girl was dressed in the veil really scared the hell out of me! :eek:

I enjoyed it, too. Though I must say, the first hour was, as the Europeans say, "deliberately paced."

It's more atmosphere than plot, but it works very well.

I watched it on video. I was told there was a 'surprise ending' which I'd guessed before the film was very old . . .

I must admit I watched it partly because it was set in Jersey (the UK Channel Islands, not the Californian Channel Isles or Noo Joisey), but unfortunately the place was not really relevant to the story - it could have been set in any isolated location. Not a bad film, though, even though I'm not keen on Kidman. Nice to see Eric Sykes is still in circulation.

Carole

carole said:
I must admit I watched it partly because it was set in Jersey (the UK Channel Islands, not the Californian Channel Isles or Noo Joisey), but unfortunately the place was not really relevant to the story - it could have been set in any isolated location. Not a bad film, though, even though I'm not keen on Kidman. Nice to see Eric Sykes is still in circulation.

Carole

Especially since he's registered partially sighted and deaf.
Regarding where it was filmed, I guess that film could have been made completely on a studio lot and no one would have known... you couldn't see the location through the fog!

It was made on location in Spain . . . which is a bit of a waste since, as you say, it could have been made entirely in the studio!

Carole

It's funny, I didn't find this film in the least frightening (except for the wardrobe scene, that made us all jump). Nicole Kidman's character was so unlikeable I didn't feel any sympathy for her. And like Carole, I guessed the ending way too soon. All the people I was with loved it though, must be me, cynical jaded old Beak. ;) If your told theres a twist at the end and you think about it, it's nearly always possible to predict it.

I guessed a part of the ending, but not all of it.
I suppose I'm just too easily scared when it comes to ghost stories!

beakboo said:
It's funny, I didn't find this film in the least frightening (except for the wardrobe scene, that made us all jump). Nicole Kidman's character was so unlikeable I didn't feel any sympathy for her. And like Carole, I guessed the ending way too soon. All the people I was with loved it though, must be me, cynical jaded old Beak. ;) If your told theres a twist at the end and you think about it, it's nearly always possible to predict it.

Nah, I didn't find it particularly frightening either, Beak! But, being a mother of twin boys, my fear threshhold has lowered dramatically!

Carole

I have to admit that I didn't find it that scary, but I still enjoyed it. I must have guessed the ending about half an hour into the film.

I agree that the Nicole Kidman character left me feeling no sympathy at all, also I really disliked the little girl, she made me want to slap her. ;) Still well worth seeing.

Spooky angel said:
I suppose I'm just too easily scared when it comes to ghost stories!
I was scared beakless by the Blair Witch thing. :eek!!!!: I suspect it may have been just me.

beakboo said:
I was scared beakless by the Blair Witch thing. :eek!!!!: I suspect it may have been just me.

I have to be honest, I thought Blair Witch was a real load of old pony. Resented laying out money to watch it.

i loved the blair witch project. scary, dealing with the good old Great God Pan issue, after all...

Forgive me for going off thread briefly here, but the fact that Ginoide has replied has reminded me of the "Which Blair Question". This is a way to neatly divide Italian restaurants in Britain into two types, Tony Blair (all chrome and modern) or Lionel Blair (unreconstructed 70s, with huge peppermills and pictures of the owner with the likes of Lionel Blair on the walls).
Invented by the great Matthew Norman, the only reason I buy the Sunday Telegraph.
Sorry, back to The Others.....

No-one had told me anything about this film so when the ending did happen I was surprised but then afterwards thought a little predictable. Still quite a good film though.

I saw The Others at the cinema and loved it. I spent most of the fillum trying to work out who was dead and who wasn't!

There's been another thread on here about the photos of the dead which feature in the fillum. I've seen such photos in an exhibition devoted to them so they do exist.

Those photos gave me the creeps too... I'm such a wimp! Haha
As for The Blair Witch, I'm still not brave enough to watch, I get too involved too easily! :eek:

I enjoyed 'The Others' which I watched on DVD after a three day clubbing binge and no sleep.

I didn't see the end coming at all but it didn't frighten me whatsoever.

But Blair Witch gave me nightmares for weeks and weeks and weeks.
I shook when I came out of the cinema and even now if I see kids handprints on anything at all it sets me off.

It's the only cinematic thing to date that has *really* frightened me.

I wasnt scared by The Others, I just at the places where most people did, but with films even if you know there coming its hard not to react. The Blair Witch Project, is IMHO not scary but very unsettling, the level of unease generated by the actors, who by all accounts didnt know what to expect themselves, ( unless thats an urban myth!) is, for me what sets the film apart.
I actually thought the the ending was the worst part!
I not sure its really possible for a scary film to be made anymore, everything seems to have been done in one way or another, gore doesnt work, monsters dont work etc. I think if you want to be scared try some of the older movies, The Shining (Kubrick version, not the TVM), Alien and Caravan of Courage are right up there for me (I know its not a horror movie, but the sheer fact it was made is scary enough!)

I don't know if I mentioned it already, but the B & W version of The Haunting Of Hill House is very scary. The Kubrick version of The Shining was too, I agree with that one.

The Haunting of Hill House is definitely the scariest movie I have ever seen. It still frightens me no matter how many times I see it.

carole said:
It was made on location in Spain . . . which is a bit of a waste since, as you say, it could have been made entirely in the studio!

Carole

Finally watched it and enjoyed it.

As to why it was made in Spain - it was mainly a Spanish production (judging by the credits).

I would have enjoyed this film more perhaps if I hadn't happen to have seen it with one of my more cynical friends, who kept pointing out how crappy and poorly rendered it was - I think it was a pretty decent, though not really scary, story. Maybe I'll rent it tonight to see it again.

Now a movie that I will never (if I can help it) watch again is The Ring , scared the living daylights out of me, I couldn't sleep for days, trying to figure what it was all about. Now, being a woman in my mid-twenties, I should be well beyond this silliness, I know; especially since I'm a nurse and have seen so much true, tangible horror, but horror movies never get to me. I've watched The Exorcist in the middle of the night when I had insomnia and went right back to bed and sweet dreams after.

I have never in my life been so completely freaked as I was after seeing The Ring . I love scary movies but this was too much, a literal mind f*ck.

But apparently it's just me, everyone I talk to thought it was really dumb or just mildly creepy. :sceptic:

"I have never in my life been so completely freaked as I was after seeing The Ring . I love scary movies but this was too much, a literal mind f*ck."

I know the general consenses on this board of "The Ring" was that it didn't hold a candle to the original Japanese movie, which I have not seen.
However I agree with 4youblue, in that this movie disturbed me with the imagery and the story line. Couldn't get it out of my head, so I won't be watching the original.

I saw 'The Blair Witch Project' in the theater and thought it was a mildly entertaining movie, then went home to an empty house alone. Spent all night jumping at small noises that I wasn't certain were actually there. It left enough of a sliver of freakyness in my subconscious to put me 'off' that night. I've never been affected like that before. I wasn't afraid of the 'thing' in the movie, it was the mental effect the 'thing' had on the people that made me edgy.

Didn't think it was that scary apart from the photo albums and the bit with the kid wearing the dress/veil.
It is an excellent film though, a real gem.

Asd for the Ring, haven't seen the new one but the originla is absolute brilliance. The first however many minutes are great as a detective tyope film, the final 5 minutes. Sweet Mother of Jesus! Scariest scene in a movie ever...you know which bit Im talking bout. Sadako still give me nightmares :D

4youblue said:
Now a movie that I will never (if I can help it) watch again is The Ring , scared the living daylights out of me, I couldn't sleep for days, trying to figure what it was all about. Now, being a woman in my mid-twenties, I should be well beyond this silliness, I know; especially since I'm a nurse and have seen so much true, tangible horror, but horror movies never get to me. I've watched The Exorcist in the middle of the night when I had insomnia and went right back to bed and sweet dreams after.

I have never in my life been so completely freaked as I was after seeing The Ring . I love scary movies but this was too much, a literal mind f*ck.

But apparently it's just me, everyone I talk to thought it was really dumb or just mildly creepy. :sceptic:

No, it's not just you, I felt exactly the same! :eek!!!!:
Scared the heebie jeebies out of me. I couldn't sleep think about the girl coming out of the TV, and really wished there was someone to cuddle me when I went to bed. I felt silly for being so affected by a film.
No other film had bothered me like that, apart from maybe Legend of Hell House when I was younger. (The one with Roddy Macdowell, esp the bit where the girl goes to bed and the ghost has his wicked way with her :eek: ).

I think Midnight nailed it when she spoke of the imagery; I think that lots of it was intended to target the subconscious and rattle around in your head.

Also, I do tend to be rather analytical, and as this film leaves parts of plot that isn't clearly explained, I sort of obsessed about it.

I complained for years of the fact that, in my opinion, there were no movies out there that would give me a good, psychological scare.

I should have been careful for what I wished for!

Sorry to sabatoge the thread. Back to The Others. :)

Back