• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Peers Wood 'Thing'...

barfing_pumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This was all a long time ago, so forgive me if the details are hazy.

It was about the early 80s. I was off from school for some reason, and found one of mum's wimmin magazines lying about. I casually flick through, and find an interesting 'True-Life Unexplained' story that such mags are wont to run every so often. Being interested in these 'True-Life Unexplained' sorts of thing, I have a read. And the gist of it is this:

Three guys are out driving (in the same car, I guess) one night. From what I can remember, they then see a figure 'in a raincoat', so they decide to pull over for some reason. They trail figure into some woods (the 'Peers Wood' of the title) until they lose sight of it. And then they are assailed...by another figure.

Now, this bit I have never forgotten, because it is just about the scariest 'entity' encounter I have ever read. The thing that then proceeded to chase them through the woods that night was described as thus: A glowing, nebulous head whose eyes were like pulsing, luminescent jellyfish. The torso was translucent, and within it organs could be seen. I do not recall any mention of what its arms were like, but I do distinctly remember that the creature was described as having "no legs. It just kind of floated. And it was wearing a huge black cape, dracula style."

Naturally, the fellas ran for their lives.

Spooky as this case is, I haven't heard anything of it since. Could very well be a tall story, of course - or just some old toot inserted by the copy editor to fill space. Even so, the description of the 'thing' is so weird and remarkable...can't help wondering if there might've been something to it. Can anyone shed some light on the story?[/i]

I can't find a thing on the Net. Maybe you got the name wrong?

It sounds vaguely like the Flatwoods Monster but probably isn't.

It strikes me as the sort of thing John Keel would write about. If you're really obsessed by this creature, you could try hunting down Our Haunted Planet or Strange Creatures from Time and Space and see if it's in there.

You know, this sounds like an experiment in invisibility gone wrong, leaving parts of the body transparent and not entyrely ethereal. Of course, this commentary comes for a guy who has read a lot of comics, so don't take me very seriously, okay? Anyway, I am still wondering about where did this information originated from.

Yeah, I know it sounds like the Flatwoods monster - and it is possible that I've got the name of the wood wrong (as I said, it was a long time ago).

My theory - that either:

a) a bunch of guys read about the Flatwoods thing, and adapted it for the mag to get some money - on the presumption that the editor would be too bored/indifferent/ignorant/whatever the check out the authenticity of the story.

b) that the ed needed some space to fill, so just adapted Flatwoods story - bringing it closer to home in order to get more of a frission out of the readers.

Well, whatever.

:?
Where is this "Peers Wood", anyway? If it was someplace near a town there might have been mention of this thing in a local newpaper, or something like that.

Where is this "Peers Wood", anyway?

That's what I'm wondering - I've checked plenty of maps - OS, AA etc - but can't find it. Doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist, though - it could be just some local wood which has been nicknamed by the locals.

Peer's Wood...

Might be Pier's Wood (Pierswood, etc). Even Piercewood.

Never heard of it, meself.

Hmmm...Peer's Wood, Wirral - rings a faint bell.

Did a quick google on it, but found nothing. Same as with Peerswood Road in Essex.

Maybe a more in-depth search later will turn up something. Will keep you posted.

I live in Wirral but frustratingly don't know of a Peer's Wood. I will see if I have got any maps or an A-Z when I get home. A spooky evil wood creature right on my doorstep - brilliant! :D

Those biodiversity people who run the website I mentioned before, they must know where Peers Wood is, maybe they even know something about the monster, I mean surely a monster would be considered "biodiversity", wouldn't it?

Annoyingly couldn't find my A-Z to look up the wood. Mrs Molten hadn't heard of it either and nobody in the pub could shed any light. Will have another look when I get home. I want to go spooky creature hunting!

:idea:

It turns out that funny code after "Peer's Wood" is an Ordnance Survey Map Grid Reference !

If you go to

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

and enter the grid reference

SJ305742

a map will appear with the location of Peer's Wood.

You can zoom out and zoom in, apparently this wood is just a tiny bit above a place called "Burton Point Farm". It must be a very small forest, indeed.
But if anyone is going there, don't go alone!
And take plenty of cameras, and also whatever flashlights, shotguns etc you have, maybe go in daylight.

:vampire: :vampire: :eek!!!!:

Good show, Dreeness!

Maybe a google for 'Burton Point creature' rather than 'Peers wood creature' might turn in some results. Will go look...

Hmmm. Nowt so far. Apart from the fact that the area attracts birdwatchers, and that there is an Iron Age hillfort nearby.

barfing_pumpkin said:
The torso was translucent, and within it organs could be seen.
It's not from Peers Wood but that description of the creature reminds me of the Nuckelavee:

Invisible in the water, the Nuckelavee's true form was only revealed when it emerged onto land. This form is always described as being skinless, with bulging yellow veins and pulsating red muscles clearly visible beneath a thin film of slime.

The creature that follows it in that gallery - the Penanggalan - is also rather gutsy. Never heard of her before!

Back