• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Pentyrch Incident

It's a UFO event that happened a few miles from where my nephew lives, near Cardiff. I haven't actually had the opportunity to talk to him about it yet, because of the lockdown, but it is entirely likely that he knows nothing about this non-event. My impression is that this was a fairly ordinary military exercise, misinterpreted by certain locals for various reasons. The various coloured lights seen in the incident are consistent with illumination used by night paratroop exercises.

Thread here:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...016-ufo-incident-book-release-imminent.68718/

Some credible evidence that the witnesses were indeed watching a planned military exercise involving paratroops. There was a no-fly zone for civilian aircraft in operation above this area on the night in question for this very reason

See also:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/the-pentyrch-ufo-encounter.11738/

Some treatments of paranormal phenomenon by metabunk are a bit straw-clutching and involve quite unlikely earthly scenarios (although maybe not as unlikely as alien spacecraft), however this explanaction seems pretty spot on.

Last edited:
Re Metabunk and the quality of the explanations found there; Mick West's suggestions are usually quite good, and some of the other contributors are even better; but since the forum has a fairly wide range of membership, some of the proposed solutions are unworkable or over-complicated.

Re Metabunk and the quality of the explanations found there; Mick West's suggestions are usually quite good, and some of the other contributors are even better; but since the forum has a fairly wide range of membership, some of the proposed solutions are unworkable or over-complicated.
Im also a member of metabunk and helped to solve some mysteries. There was even a case me and the co-owner of the Dutch UFO sightnings site had one case of a triangular object captured in night.
We went so far by contacting our contacts in the Royal Dutch Airforce Radar Stations who helped us with some maps showing what was seen on their radars.
A lot of metabunkers are very ..very.. good in finding an explenation.. but in the end.. the triangular dots where... Ducks.

Last edited:
Not a case I am familiar with, however, I have incidentally come across the following and wondered if possibly of interest?

The Pentyrch UFO Incident | Documentary Special

Not a case I am familiar with, however, I have incidentally come across the following and wondered if possibly of interest?

The Pentyrch UFO Incident | Documentary Special

It must have been a fascinating sight out there on that cold, dark night in rural Wales. But it was a military operation that was widely known about and no-fly notices were in place for that very location:

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/the-pentyrch-ufo-encounter.11738/

I'm pining for a new UK UFO case along the lines of Rendlesham, Bonnybridge or the Welsh Triangle, but sadly this isn't it.

*bump*

Mysteries and Monsters is one of my favourite Fortean podcasts, however I cannot bring myself to listen to the Pentyrch witness and promoter Caz Clarke as I fear for my blood pressure:

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/hn3bb-1ff342/Mysteries-and-Monsters-Podcast

Has anyone listened to this...? Is she still maintaining the nasty humans of the RAF shot down her 'friendly aliens' in cold blood despite all the evidence to the contrary that this was simply a military exercise...?

*bump*

Mysteries and Monsters is one of my favourite Fortean podcasts, however I cannot bring myself to listen to the Pentyrch witness and promoter Caz Clarke as I fear for my blood pressure:

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/hn3bb-1ff342/Mysteries-and-Monsters-Podcast

Has anyone listened to this...? Is she still maintaining the nasty humans of the RAF shot down her 'friendly aliens' in cold blood despite all the evidence to the contrary that this was simply a military exercise...?
Yes, I'm afraid I listened to half an hour or so yesterday, that was all I could stomach. I found it extremely self indulgent and childish. I'll be sticking to 'Talking Till Dawn' from now on.

Yes, I'm afraid I listened to half an hour or so yesterday, that was all I could stomach. I found it extremely self indulgent and childish. I'll be sticking to 'Talking Till Dawn' from now on.
Thanks, as I feared. Unfortunately she has a rather simplistic viewpoint: RAF planes + strange lights in sky + distant explosion = horrible humans waging war on friendly spacefaring aliens.

*bump*

Caz Clarke talks to Paul Sinclair:

I know what I think but make your own minds up...

Last edited:
Reactions: BS3
*bump*

Caz Clarke talks to Paul Sinclair:

I know what I think but make your own minds up...

I think the fact it's obviously related to a (quite normal) military exercise is actually quite instructive when looking at other cases, particularly cases in Wales where the military tends to get up to a lot more (Pembrokeshire Triangle, I'm looking at you).

I think the fact it's obviously related to a (quite normal) military exercise is actually quite instructive when looking at other cases, particularly cases in Wales where the military tends to get up to a lot more (Pembrokeshire Triangle, I'm looking at you).
True. It also demonstrates how someone can keep evolving the narrative in spite of the overwhelming evidence they were clearly mistaken: its folklore in the making

I found this all most interesting:

"Caz’s fantasies against SUFON have subsequently been matched with her embellishment and dubious suppositions in the Pentyrch Incident account to such an extent that, in SUFON’s opinion, she cannot now be thought of as a credible witness. Her book contains many of these embellishments, now stated as facts that were not in her original statement. Also the book is interspersed with personal attacks against Emlyn."

https://swanseaufonetwork1.blogspot.com/2022/04/mythbusting-pentyrch-saga-home-truths.html

It would be interesting to hear her side of the story.

You see embellishment quite a lot with witnesses: it's not necessarily malicious, more an artefact of the way someone naturally responds when faced with disbelief and / or ridicule, as witnesses often are. They try and strengthen their story, perhaps even subconsciously.

Just as typical is the way these small UFO groups often dissolve in infighting and wild accusations; very strange.

You see embellishment quite a lot with witnesses: it's not necessarily malicious, more an artefact of the way someone naturally responds when faced with disbelief and / or ridicule, as witnesses often are. They try and strengthen their story, perhaps even subconsciously.

Just as typical is the way these small UFO groups often dissolve in infighting and wild accusations; very strange.
I found this when I worked in hospitality. I was lucky to work in some decent places and so complaints weren't commonplace but when something did go wrong, it was interesting to note that the customer would almost always exaggerate to justify their complaint, e.g. "we have been sat her for 50 minutes" when we had only opened the doors 25 minutes beforehand...

One might argue that - with notable exceptions - those people who join UFO groups didn't have the greatest social skills to begin with...

I think it's an artefact of being human. Telling a story of whatever, a ghostly sighting, a UFO, any kind of encounter, means that we try to form it into a narrative almost automatically. So there's always a certain amount of build up ('why I was in the area/looking at the sky etc') and then the climax - the ghostly appearance, the lights in the sky. Embellishment is necessary to keep the narrative going.

I found this when I worked in hospitality. I was lucky to work in some decent places and so complaints weren't commonplace but when something did go wrong, it was interesting to note that the customer would almost always exaggerate to justify their complaint, e.g. "we have been sat her for 50 minutes" when we had only opened the doors 25 minutes beforehand...

One might argue that - with notable exceptions - those people who join UFO groups didn't have the greatest social skills to begin with...

That's a good comparison actually - I assume in some cases the customer probably wasn't aware they were exaggerating but did so without much consciousness of what they were doing.

I'm sure the social skills of the average ufologist probably have a bearing as does the feeling that some secret of earth-shattering importance is at stake.

Listening to this right now, Caz seems quite a story teller, i don't believe a word she says, but she tells a good story.

I got halfway through the book and thought nah, I can't really believe all this, its filed away in my things that never happened file never to be seen again

Back