• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Philosophy Of Parapsychology & The Occult

Steveash5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm currently devising a course on this topic, does anyone know of good affordable reference guides on Parapsychology? I've got most of the espensive tomes but want something to recommend to students.

Course will be 10 weeks in a private venue, relating contemporary philosophy (analytic mostly) to weird shit from a open minded sceptical position, probably in a couple of months time and may cost around fifty quid or something, will post in announcements when I have more solid plans.

A good point at the ontological level is that the very term 'parapsychology' makes a tacit assumption as to the nature of the phenomena to be examined.

That's why I prefer the label 'psychical research'.

Can't help on the reference guides I'm afraid.

Check out this thread:

forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19341
Link is obsolete. The current link is:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/parapsychology-class-have-you-taken-one.19341/

where I discuss a class I once had (which was called Philosophy of Parapsychology IIRC) and there is a link to my old professor.

Our text was The Roots of Consciousness: The Classic Encyclopedia of Consciousness Studies by Jeffrey Mishlove & Saul Paul Sirag, as well as some photocopied readings.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/103-3402187-2623064?v=glance&s=books

Last edited by a moderator:
The Trickster and the Paranormal by George P Hansen.
This is probably the best book around for that sort of thing.
Check it out at

http://www.tricksterbook.com

(and Harpur's Daimonic Reality is also quite good.)

The Yithian said:
A good point at the ontological level is that the very term 'parapsychology' makes a tacit assumption as to the nature of the phenomena to be examined.

That's why I prefer the label 'psychical research'.

Can't help on the reference guides I'm afraid.

Hmm maybe, but I thought it would be more like the other way round :)

Parapsychology sounds more scientifically respectable than psychic I would have thought. And the lectures will be hardcore scientific materialism plus cutting edge philosophy of mind and consciousness / philosophy of physics and very sceptical about the possibility of any 'psychic' effects even existing :) Despite this though there is some light at the end of the sceptical tunnel...

Steve Ash said:
...And the lectures will be hardcore scientific materialism plus cutting edge philosophy of mind and consciousness / philosophy of physics and very sceptical about the possibility of any 'psychic' effects even existing :)

The term 'Parapsychology' makes the tacit assumption that the subject matter lies 'beside' or 'beyond' the traditional domain of psychology: an unjustified axiomatic stance.

In contrast, 'Psychical' doesn't refer to putative 'psychic' abilities but rather to anything relating to, affecting, or influenced by the human mind [or 'psyche']. That covers pretty much all such subject matter without prejudice.

Also, if hardcore scientific materialists don't credit the influence of the mind over matter then I'd be interesting to know what they make of particle/wave duality and a great many other things besides.

Also from what ive noticed a Psychical Scientist is taken more seriously than a paranormal investigator (in general)

Back