• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Psychosocial Hypothesis (PSH)

But zebras as a category do exist, so they would be somwhere on the list of possibilities after horses. Sometimes there are hoax zebras, too.
image-segodnyaua.si.jpg

As a species we travel constantly to see and enjoy places - or for the pleasure of the drive - why wouldn't they? I wouldn't take the example too literally - but the point I make is that we put ourselves centre stage every time we consider their purpose. That's possible sometimes but I suspect more often it's arrogant and flawed.

I think many visits are to mine certain minerals and sadly also to collect specimens (in exactly the way we still do).
I've heard these explanations many times before...they simply don't work for me. As I said to another poster..we are ascribing human traits then to the 'aliens'....yet those that support alien visits keep wanting to differentiate them from us ....we can't have it both ways.
IMO any sufficiently advanced race that can travel between the stars wouldn't need minerals or whatever on earth...they probably have many sources out there in the galaxy at large. They might not even use the same energy or supply techniques we use...so all bets are off on that aspect.

It's a clever point - but actually I think the mining and use of resources does occur. The prevailing attitude being that the rich resources of the Universe are available to all.

Light beings are apparently very different and progressed beyond these needs.

I guess our attitude to new species will be interesting - if we visit Mars and find them - will we collect samples and bring them back?

In a Universe so huge and varied, there will be some with our own attitudes - let's just hope we don't meet them.
As I said in the other post...either thy are so advanced they don';t need what we have or they are simply a little more advanced than us...which is it?

If I can put my UFO Believer hat on for a moment;

it is mathematically very unlikely that an alien civilisation near us will be at a similar stage of development. Aliens are likely to be extremely advanced, complex and, well, alien. So they could presumably take any form they like, and change their own psychological outlook as easily as we change our socks. If and when we meet them they will probably be so complex and esoteric that we will struggle to make any sense of their behaviours, languages, and appearances.

If I can put my UFO Believer hat on for a moment;

it is mathematically very unlikely that an alien civilisation near us will be at a similar stage of development. Aliens are likely to be extremely advanced, complex and, well, alien. So they could presumably take any form they like, and change their own psychological outlook as easily as we change our socks. If and when we meet them they will probably be so complex and esoteric that we will struggle to make any sense of their behaviours, languages, and appearances.
Quite true -- which is why Aime Michel regarded the weird and antiphysical characteristics of UFOs and humanoids as entirely consistent with the ETH, rather than as evidence for more exotic theories. The truth is, we know so little (despite all the knowledge that we have accumulated) that we can't really appreciate just how little.

Back