• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Real Blair Witch

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Did you see it? Do you think she was in on it? If you have know idea what I am talking about then look here.

Saw it - don't reckon she was in on it.

Very disturbing programme - it does make you wonder what depths disillusioned teenagers will reach for their kicks. They probably didn't see much wrong in what they were doing (hey, it was a joke - we weren't really going to kill her).

Isn't Flint the hometown of Michael Moore - where he filmed Roger and Me (or something like that)?

She was in on it, but didn't know the details of what was going to happen. Whether that constitutes assault is for a jury to decide.

BB - yep.

Hmm, it doesn't say when it'll be shown - I wouldn't mind a looksie :)

Dark Detective said:
She was in on it, but didn't know the details of what was going to happen. Whether that constitutes assault is for a jury to decide.

BB - yep.

Don't know how it works in America, but over here you can't consent to assault. So, even if she was in on it, it would still constitute assault.

Assault doesn't require physical contact or injury, only that the victim be put in real fear that the contact and/or injury were imminent.

Do you mean like the case with consenting adults indulging in some serious sexual masochistic activities?

Even though they were consenting - they were still found guilty of assualt/abh/gbh etc.?

That's the most commonly quoted, and controversial, case, yep

Another disturbing element of the programme (although it was not any great surprise) was watching two lawyers comment on exactly the same footage and give totally opposite conclusions - backing up their own version of their client's culpability.

The subjectivity and self-delusion (or, indeed, perhaps more likely, cyncism) involved beggars belief.

I thought that consentual assualt wasn't illegal untill a complaint was made by either party. If i won't press charges against him and he doesn't against me, who assaulted who?

If not then my whole "Fight Club" idea's on a sticky wicket.... :)

kiel said:
I thought that consentual assualt wasn't illegal untill a complaint was made by either party. If i won't press charges against him and he doesn't against me, who assaulted who?

If not then my whole "Fight Club" idea's on a sticky wicket.... :)

I know that here, in the States, if the Cops see it, then THEY can make a complaint, so can any witness to the assault and/or battery. That's how I've seen it dealt out on the TV anyway. Usually on the show "Cops" and usually involving domestic violence.

To answer an earlier question about whether or not the Flint in the story is the same one Micheal Moore was from, I believe just about every state in the US has a Flint, or Flynt. Moore was from Michagan, I think the Blair Witch "took place" in Maryland*

*yes I know it's fictional!

Trace Mann

I didn't watch the whole thing but I did see one of the accused claiming that they had told her a couple of days before the event. That may be true but that doesn't mean she took them seriously or even remembered it when the 'attack' took place.

Besides one of the cast of The Blair Witch Project experienced real fear and she'd been formaly hired for the job. When the others diapeared she bagan to fear that the producers had gone mad and that she might be in real danger.

Cujo

did seem to me from the video that she was in at the start rather than set up, but got scared towards the end when she thought it might go too far. She seemed to have a crush on the 'director' and knew what the plan for the shoot was but then they improvised. Damn crap silly idea anyway! My son produced a better vid in which his mates got " murdered, blown up , beaten up, and shot", they all had a lot of fun, and he was only 12 at the time. Seems the lawyers are the ones to make the best deal out of this.

Going by the end of the video footage I would say she knew about it in advance - there was no surprise, anger, doubt in her face, only relief, and maybe even a triumphant glint in her eye. However, I believe she really did become scared as she would have been in a lot of doubt of the idea, paranoia would have set in and then she has to deal with her mate playing around with a large knife in the back of the car on a bumpy road. As to what constitutes assault, I believe that will be the main discussion in the case?

ahhhhh.. ok so the new rules of fight club go:-

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

4th RULE: Only two guys to a fight.

5th RULE: One fight at a time.

6th RULE: No shirts, no shoes.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8th RULE: If this is your first night at FIGHT CLUB, you HAVE to fight.

9th RULE: No undercover cops in FIGHT CLUB

I suppose this all comes down to whether the girl actually believed that she was in mortal peril, and as she had only known these people for a short time, i think she might have a point. However she knew that she would be taking part in something, i'm sure she must have had some idea what was going to happen, even if it was vague... if she had been told so much as "You'll be in a movie about a kidnap" then i think her case is on shaky ground......

It's be interesting to know what the laws involving consent are in Maryland. I know that in Nevada and I think also in other states, the law is: you cannot give informed consent to have any physical or emotional violence inflicted on your own person. People who enage in consensual violence like fight club or S&M activities risk being locked up as mentally incapacitated. According to the law in Nevada (and possibly elsewhere), you cannot legally and/or sanely consent to have harm inflicted on yourself. If you say you agreed to the violent activity, the cops are required to take you to the local looney bin for observation as "you are a danger to yourself and possibly others". Interesting, no?

Back