• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Scariest Place In Britain

A

Anonymous

Has anyone ever heard of the Goblin Ha' at Yester Castle, 1.5 miles south East of Gifford in East Lothian?
The Castle was built in 1297 by Hugo de Gifford, the self - proclaimed "Wizard of Yester" and said by many to have been the Prince of Darkness himself.
Through magic or collusion with the devil he created an army of otherworldly (and most definitely underworldly) creatures to be used on his command.
They were kept in tunnels and chambers under Yester castle.
These underground passageways and the surrounding forest is by the far the most gut-churningly terrifyingly place in Britain.
I dare any sceptic to go down there at night and listen....and watch..Your torch will suddenly go out...you will feel something grab your arm...
This place makes Blair Witch look like Paul Daniels.

Wot about Borley Rectory? I thought it was still the mack daddy of British haunted houses.

I's been a long day - and I think that I somehow bruised my long-term memory retrieval system during final exams last week- so I apologize in advance for my forthcoming idiotic question.

Does anyone know the name, and preferably details about, that flat in London which contains that room that has supposedly killed (of fright) or driven mad all who have dared spend the night in it?

It was in most of my childhood "True Ghost Stories" type books.
Utterly terrifying, one of the scariest stories I've ever heard.

C'mon, you know what I'm talking about.

That has got to be the scariest place in Britain. Although I recall it's a bookstore now.

50 Berkeley Square

http://www.mysterymag.com/html/50_berkeley_square.html

This one always gets me! :D

A bit from the page:

“"The house in Berkeley Square contains at least one room in which the atmosphere is supernaturally charged, fatal to mind and body. A girl saw, heard and felt such horror in it that she went mad, and never recovered sanity enough to tell how or why. A gentleman, a disbeliever in ghosts, dared to sleep in it, and was found a corpse in the middle of the floor, after frantically ringing for help in vain. Rumour suggests other cases of the same kind, all ending in death" Mayfair Magazine, 10 May 1879.

Thanks, Mr. R.I.N.G.!

Although not currently too scary as naught has happened by way of the paranormal there in 30 years time.

Like the detail on that link about the gentleman owning the building locking away the elderly caretakers when he perused that room, "conducting his business".

Last night I dreamt that I looked out the bedroom window and saw a light moving through the back garden, going on and off in the darkness.

For the next 24 hours, I think the scariest place in Britain is my garden.:rolleyes:

Coo... Never heard of this Goblin Ha. Sounds interesting.
Borley Rectory is certainly supposed to be incredibly haunted (although am I right in thinking there was a serious debunking of the biggest paranormal investigation of the place - claims that it was all pish?) but whether it's any more scary (in terms of atmosphere) than any other haunted house, I wouldn't know.
50 Berkley Square is an interesting one. It's certainly the ghost story which captivated my imagination most as a child. However, as the stories around it sound ever so slightly different in every retelling I see, I'd be interested to know how much 'truth' there is in it - that is, how many of the tales can be backed up with real names, dates, etc.
As I recall, as well as the room where people were scared to death, there was also a phenomenon where people next door in 48, who came into contact with the party wall between 50 and 48, would get electric shocks or pick up static charges.
On a more flippant note, evil still lives in Berkley Square. Number 48 is now the headquarters of Reader's Digest.

Yes, I think Borley Rectory has been debunked, and the locals all hate the reputation it has. This website is fab:

http://www.borleyrectory.com/

I think it's the case that one of the inhabitants was mentally ill, and the levitating brick photo isn't really a levitating brick at all. My grandad used to terrify me when I was little with stories about Borley.

(yeah, yeah, I found it in the links, but it's a marvellous site).

I propose Danebury, Iron age hill fort In hampshire..

Like many hillforts in this country, it's not much at first sight, banks ditches and all the usual but this paticular hillfort also has a fair bit of tree cover with lots of dense bushes and the like. Oh and a huge number of resident crows.
I cant off the mark say what it is,but every time I have been there it has affected me in different ways, from a deep sense of worry the first time to a real "looking-over-the-shoulder-what-was-that bloody-noise!!" on another occasion.
The last time I was there I made an effort to keep a check on what I was thinking and just generally be level headed about things, and what I noticed was how over the course of say fifteen minutes of being there my self and my partner felt a the same sense of nagging anxiety (A sort of "My god I've forgotten to do something really important.but I cant remember what"...feeling)
growing to a real sense of "somethings about to happen lets leave" NOW.

At one point the crows who had been sat relatively quiet in the tree's suddenly kicked off in the most spectacular fashion. Something I've seen with crows do loads of times before in other places but here they seemed totally mad they screamed at each other and would just launch themselves at each other and empty spaces in the trees and the overall effect after about two mintues just about knocked the sense out of your head and you just couldnt think straight.

My job means that I often work in and around historic sites/monuments and big old empty houses with lots of hanging cobwebs/dust sheets/widowless rooms, with no ill effects and in contrast one of my favourite places in the world is the stretch of the ridgeway by and including uffington castle (Iron age hillfort) so go figure..

there you have it. I propose Danebury, a fantastic example of British Iron age site that can scare your pants off into the bargin.

Oxney Bottom in Kent sounds somewhat scary:

http://www.yourcounty.co.uk/Kent51/oxney.html

So does Chillingham Castle:

http://www.mysterymag.com/html/chillingham_castle_ghosts.html

Here are some haunted roads where I wouldn’t want to walk alone at night (link courtesy of Hermes):

http://www.tudor34.freeserve.co.uk/CasesUKaccounts2.htm

Personally experienced Chanctonbury Ring as a rather scary place: :eek:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3152&highlight=Chanctonbury

But by far the scariest place for me is my hometown of East Grinstead, the British home to the Church of Scientology and the Mormon Temple and various other kooky cults.

It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't lived here just why somewhere that appears so wholesome and nice could be so sinister. It’s like something out of The Stepford Wives or Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, with its odd (and sometimes sinister) aberration of inhabitants sauntering about with surgically created smiles. All physically dissimilar but with speech patterns and mindsets that could have been drawn from a single template. All practised in the art of waylaying isolated individuals to inject their cult philosophy – naive strays picked off with ease, procured for the hive. :eek!!!!:

There is a chilling indefinable alienness to the place. You just know that something lurks hidden in its darkest recesses.

Anyway, this is just my own perception of the place and some of its unsettling inhabitants. I’m just glad to be out of there! :D

(Breakfast - your avatar is The Unwanted Guest. An old friend of mine )
I'm not sure about a friend, what with the fits of bewildering wrath during which it hides all the towels from the bath, but I've grown quite attached to it.

Scary Place Nomination

Hello all,
It seems that the British Isles has more than it's fair share of spooky places. East Lothian has many locations, not forgetting Edinburgh itself - and the much publicised Edinburgh Vaults. As far as the infamous Borely Rectory, publicised by Harry Price as The Most Haunted House in England - two things ; The Rectory was destroyed by fire in 1939, and I would wager that another house saw a similar variety of phenomena but had a far better quality & quantity of witnesses - where ? Ballechin House, near Perth in Scotland.
Sadly, Ballechin House is in private hands and the current owners are not keen on curious Forteans peering through their windows..
However, if you're interested in turning up somewhere and being guaranteed a disturbing experience, then why not try Sandwood Bay ? The bay is extremely remote and exposed to the elements, so please bring a good tent and be prepared to hike over moorland to get there. There is a ruined cottage above the beach
which is rumoured to be haunted by the ghost of a shipwrecked Dutch Mariner.
I have not been myself ( I prefer to investigate haunted hotels with fluffy towels & a good breakfast ), but four friends have been, and surprisingly, experienced something - the sound of footsteps walking on a non-existant sold floor ( the cottage is reduced to four walls and a grass floor ).
It's meant to be a bit awe-inspiring.
Anybody know any nice B&B's or comfy inns with a guaranteed "unpleasant stay"...??
Happy Hunting,

Innes Smith

Re: 50 Berkeley Square

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
http://www.mysterymag.com/html/50_berkeley_square.html

This one always gets me! :D

A bit from the page:

“"The house in Berkeley Square contains at least one room in which the atmosphere is supernaturally charged, fatal to mind and body. A girl saw, heard and felt such horror in it that she went mad, and never recovered sanity enough to tell how or why. A gentleman, a disbeliever in ghosts, dared to sleep in it, and was found a corpse in the middle of the floor, after frantically ringing for help in vain. Rumour suggests other cases of the same kind, all ending in death" Mayfair Magazine, 10 May 1879.

That guy was found in the corner with a look of terror frozen on his face :eek: and a broken neck. :monster:

From one of curzon's links:

Chew Valley

Location: B3114, Chew Valley Lake, off A368, 6 miles ENE of Cheddar (Somerset)

Date/Time: 5 June 1999 (Pugh/Gunning). MAP

A number of sightings of a ghostly lady near Chew Valley Lake prompted an appeal by a local history society for people who had seen her to get in touch. As a result, several people contacted Jacqui Salter of the Compton Martin History Society, who set up a meeting with West Harptree History Society - a group who had recently run a workshop about Moreton, the village that was flooded when the lake was created.

Attending the meeting were Chris Pugh, his daughter, and partner Wendy Gunning, who were heading for home at Blagdon from the direction of Chew Stoke, when they narrowly missed hitting a woman who was crossing the road at Heron's Green.

"I had my main beam on but had no reaction from her, even though I flashed the lights at her," said Mr Pugh. The woman, whom they missed 'by about four feet', had long wavy hair and was dressed in a three-quarter-length gown and a linen cape-style dress with a hood.

A party of five people (who were also coming from the direction of Chew Stoke) - two adults, a Mr and Mrs Court, their daughter Nicola, and two of her friends, Maria and Louise Stuckey, whom they were driving home from a party - saw her at walking along the left verge by the old council yard at Kingshill Lane. The girl, estimated to be around 14 years of age, was "solid but greyish and misty", and was wearing a mid-calf Victorian-style dress and hob-nailed boots. Her hair was long and she was walking along with her hands behind her back.

Yet another witness that night was hairdresser Carol Gillen, who was travelling home in the same direction, had to slow down to let her cross the road. "She had on a long, heavily embroidered Victorian style dress with leg-of-mutton sleeves. They were billowing back with the breeze and the whiteness of her dress was very bright, as if electric.

"Her hair was loose, very thick, longish to the top of her shoulders and blowing off her neck." She walked across the road with a "confident stride", taking no notice of the approaching car - prompting the realization afterward that she must have been a ghost.

Local legend has it that the ghost is that of a young girl named Catherine Brown who drowned at Stratford Mill at the turn of the Twentieth Century, and whose former home and grave lie beneath the surface of the reservoir that flooded the valley in 1956.

Source(s): 'New sightings of 'Lady of the Lake', by Ros Anstey, Standard & Guardian, 9 September 1999; 'Ghostly Goings-on Down by the Lake', by Andrew Jefferson, Bristol Evening Post, 9 September 1999 - both sourced from News Search West via Televisual's on-line news archive.

Update: Chew Valley's ghost girl was featured on London Weekend Television's Britain’s Most Terrifying Ghost Stories (broadcast 23 November 2001, and narrated by Ian McShane).

On 5 June 1999, Chris Pugh, with his girlfriend Wendy Gunning and his daughter Sam, were returning home from Bristol past the lake on the B3114.

"Just as I got to the brow of a small hill," said Chris, "I could see a triangular light at the end of the cats’ eyes. And just as I approached it, Wendy looked up and she said: "Pughie, Pughie. Look out!"

"And I said, 'I know. I’ve seen it.'"

As they drew closer to the object, a lady just appeared from the middle of the road, and drifted very slowly in front of the car.

"I can remember distinctly that she had long wavy hair that looked sort of greasy, or even wet. I was convinced that it wasn’t a human being - it was something supernatural."

"What is it? What could it be? And then, the next thing you think ‘crikey’, that is is a ghost - and I just knew it," commented Wendy.

Mr Pugh pulled into a pub car-park just adjacent to the lake, and phoned the police, who responded by searching the area, but found nothing. It was a week later that Chris replied to an ad in a local paper asking for people who had seen strange things at the lake, and arranged to attend a meeting at local historical society to discuss the ghostly girl.

"There were about 12 people in total - which was amazing because all of them recorded almost the same information when asked a series of questions. Yet there was no collaboration because no-one knew each other before that night," said Chris.

One of those witnesses was Carol Gillen, who watched the girl proceed slowly up the lane, attired in only a dress despite the miserable weather conditions.

"I was thinking ‘Stupid cow - what’s she doing out at this time of night? Just with a dress on. And that was when I realized that she was a ghost.

"I started asking around the local village where I lived if there was anybody that knew anything about a girl out on the lake road. Then I found a lady that had a book [Old North Somerset, by Alan Holt] of stories about neighbouring villages. came across a passage in the book about a girl called Catherine Brown that lived at Stratford Mill - which now is Chew Valley Lake - and the story goes that she’d actually drowned in the moat. And she was only a young girl. So I just surmised that this was who it could have been."

According to legend, Catherine Brown disappeared one day at the turn of the century. She was found drowned the next morning. Yet her mother claimed to have seen her the previous night climbing the stairs soaking wet [but apparently didn't check on her welfare, or attempt to question her about her condition].

"Somewhere there’s got to be a grave," said Carol. "And I would love to think that she’s here. And I think until I’ve actually gone right to the end of the story, I won’t be satisfied. But I will find out. And hopefully, it is Catherine Brown."

Interesting stories. I drive over this lake every morning and every evening, to and from work but haven't yet seen anything (although it does look amazing in the mist and fog). Think I may stop there tonight to check out the 'atmosphere' as I'll be going back in the dark.

I may also, hopefully, be going diving to see the village in a few months time which is surprisingly uncommon to do. Would be a fantastic experience I imagine! I wonder if you can still see the gravestones? :eek!:

Surely it has to be "Chingle Hall" I have neve seen a case with so much documented evidence. Here is a link to a brief history of the infamous Hall now a Travel lodge type place.

http://www.btinternet.com/~loonboy/para_chingle.html

It has everything possible to make it Britain's most haunted location, spectral nuns in the grounds, poltergeist activity in abundance, ghostly footsteps and rappings, plenty of manisfestions of the ledgendary white lady I believe,
and the famous spectral carrage. And best of all the current owners actually welcome people to stay and experience al this first hand!

I have seen various programs such Ghosthunters investigate the Hall and most have reported activity within minutes of entering the building. What stick's in my mind are the various ghostly screams that have been recorded and proven genuine human shrills :eek!!!!:
Also if I can remember correctly the guest who was awoken on the first night of his stay by a loud banging of a heavy object against his bedroom door only to find when he opened it, the stool which had been sitting at the other end of the landing which he remembers passing on his way to bed that night shaking sporadically, as if by a human prescence.
Ouch!! soiled pants time for me!

Speaking from the personal experience of having lived there for 9 months, I nominate Walsall as the scariest place in Britain - the accent, the inbreeding, it has it all :blah:

Re: Scary Place Nomination

Innes Smith said:
However, if you're interested in turning up somewhere and being guaranteed a disturbing experience, then why not try Sandwood Bay ? The bay is extremely remote and exposed to the elements, so please bring a good tent and be prepared to hike over moorland to get there. There is a ruined cottage above the beach
which is rumoured to be haunted by the ghost of a shipwrecked Dutch Mariner.
I have not been myself ( I prefer to investigate haunted hotels with fluffy towels & a good breakfast ), but four friends have been, and surprisingly, experienced something - the sound of footsteps walking on a non-existant sold floor ( the cottage is reduced to four walls and a grass floor ).
It's meant to be a bit awe-inspiring.

I've always fancied a night in the 'bothy' there. I read about it in a book years ago (nope, can't remember which book!).
Can't seem to find any mention of it elsewhere. In fact, this thread is the only other place I've seen it!

Anyway, the report I read told of a walker taking shelter there. He was woken in the middle of the night by a very loud rumbling, sort of 'pulsating', and getting louder all the time! Even the walls were trembling!
Needless to say, he legged it!:p

More info anyone?

(IIRC, there was an article in the IoS in the last year or so about a woman writer who died somewhere round there. She wasn't found for ages because of the remoteness of the place. I did wonder if she was in the bothy, but as Innes Smith just pointed out, it doesn't sound habitable anymore. Of course, my imagination may have made the circumstances of her death more interesting and mysterious!:rolleyes: :D )

Re: Scary Place Nomination

Innes Smith said:
Anybody know any nice B&B's or comfy inns with a guaranteed "unpleasant stay"...??
Happy Hunting,

Innes Smith

What about Jamaica Inn? :)

http://www.jamaicainn.co.uk/ghosts.htm

Bit late I know, but hey, better late than never for responding to a thread. If this gets merged, no one will know the difference. ;)

The Berkley Square legend has long-ago been debunked ... but it's reputation lives on (like Borley).

I've suffered two visits to Chanctonbury Ring (and I use the word "suffered" correctly). I must be a glutton for punishment! What happened to me is a very personal experience and not one I'm willing to put on the "It Happened To Me" threads. I would say, however, that although not the most scary place, it is a hazardous place!

Call it bravado, call it bull but I've found nowhere so scary I'll not try it. I get the creeps like anyone. But I refuse to let irrational fear tell me where to go!

Now, where's me Valium and incontinence pants?

Borley Rectory

I agree with teh previous post - the Borley Rectory website is fab. While a lot of hte goings on there have been discredited its still very interesting. The website is run by a chap who is Marianne Foysters (the wife of the clergyman and to whom the phenonemon seemed to focus around) adopted son. I have emailed him afew times in teh past and he is very happy to answer any questions about the Rectory. his mother never mentinoed it and he only found out about the whole cult of Borley Rectory after her death (she moved to America, married again I believe and adopted in America) and he was going through her papers.

excuse the typing and spelling - its late for me and i have had a long day!

Oh go on Stormkhan, spill the beans regarding Chanctonbury. I’m dying to know what happened to you... PM me if you wish.

Was it similar to my experience?

Mr Poultice said:
I propose Danebury, Iron age hill fort In hampshire..

Like many hillforts in this country, it's not much at first sight, banks ditches and all the usual but this paticular hillfort also has a fair bit of tree cover with lots of dense bushes and the like. Oh and a huge number of resident crows.
I cant off the mark say what it is,but every time I have been there it has affected me in different ways, from a deep sense of worry the first time to a real "looking-over-the-shoulder-what-was-that bloody-noise!!" on another occasion.
The last time I was there I made an effort to keep a check on what I was thinking and just generally be level headed about things, and what I noticed was how over the course of say fifteen minutes of being there my self and my partner felt a the same sense of nagging anxiety (A sort of "My god I've forgotten to do something really important.but I cant remember what"...feeling)
growing to a real sense of "somethings about to happen lets leave" NOW.

At one point the crows who had been sat relatively quiet in the tree's suddenly kicked off in the most spectacular fashion. Something I've seen with crows do loads of times before in other places but here they seemed totally mad they screamed at each other and would just launch themselves at each other and empty spaces in the trees and the overall effect after about two mintues just about knocked the sense out of your head and you just couldnt think straight.

My job means that I often work in and around historic sites/monuments and big old empty houses with lots of hanging cobwebs/dust sheets/widowless rooms, with no ill effects and in contrast one of my favourite places in the world is the stretch of the ridgeway by and including uffington castle (Iron age hillfort) so go figure..

there you have it. I propose Danebury, a fantastic example of British Iron age site that can scare your pants off into the bargin.

Just read this after visiting Danebury last Sunday. I felt a really heavy feeling of melancholy come over me at the place and commented on this to my cousin, who was with me at the time. We'd just been to Old Sarum and Figsbury Ring and I had a similar feeling in those places as well.

Maybe (seeing the comments on Chanctonbury as well), it's something to do with the evocation of memories of our long-dead and little-known prehistoric forbears, that brings out strong feelings of our own mortality at these iron age hillforts.

The effect seems particularly strong when you visit these places later in the day, when few other visitors are around.

Hey Jobbo, if you want a even odder atmosphere in the same area you should definatly take a walk up on Broughton Down. I posted a Multimap link on Fairy Paths a while back. There are ancient earthworks there, but no fort. A sacred site perhaps? When you feel the genus loci that lurks about there, it wouldn't be a surprising conclusion. Danebury has never seemed that creepy to me, but then I'm so familiar with the place that maybe I'm immune (or accepted?). Bury ring just down the road is a bit odder, as no-one ever lived in it, and it's overgrown smallness can make it strangely 'close' and almost claustraphobic in places.
Then there's haunted Red Rice inbetween the two! I've found that place to feel rather 'unfriendly' as well.
I nominate the whole Hants/Wilts border area. It's wierdsville UK.
:D

How about the village of Pluckley in Kent? Isn't that super-super-haunted?

StellaBoulton said:
Hey Jobbo, if you want a even odder atmosphere in the same area you should definatly take a walk up on Broughton Down. I posted a Multimap link on Fairy Paths a while back. There are ancient earthworks there, but no fort. A sacred site perhaps? When you feel the genus loci that lurks about there, it wouldn't be a surprising conclusion. Danebury has never seemed that creepy to me, but then I'm so familiar with the place that maybe I'm immune (or accepted?). Bury ring just down the road is a bit odder, as no-one ever lived in it, and it's overgrown smallness can make it strangely 'close' and almost claustraphobic in places.
Then there's haunted Red Rice inbetween the two! I've found that place to feel rather 'unfriendly' as well.
I nominate the whole Hants/Wilts border area. It's wierdsville UK.
:D

You have several tumuli there, so it looks like a pretty cool and overgrown ancient round barrow burial site. I'll have to go and explore it one evening. I must check out Bury Ring then too but can't find any refs - maybe you could post multimap links to these other sites too. Would be good fun checking them all out around dusk or dawn.

Isn't it great that we have so many mysterious, ghostly remnants of pre-Roman Britain, lying around all over the place in our beautiful countryside, for us to explore? It's one of the things which prevents me from ever wanting to leave this island.

Back