• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

the Serial Killer is here

couldn't do it...

I went back to the FBI's website to check out how much personal info I would have to put in, as I just noticed Itaglio's post. I thought I would have to enter all of that info, so I of course had balked, but when I went back and realized that I could write it anonymously, I wrote a huge ratty letter to them about my friend.
It took me about twenty minutes to perfectly balance it out, and not sound like a raving loon, and end the end, I couldn't send it. I just couldn't.
All I could picture was my e-mail address flashing across a dozen government computer display screens at once, alarms going off, teams being scrambled, etc, etc.
Of course, I would never rate a response like that, as I am relatively legal and all, but who in their right mind would send any branch of the US government an e-mail with the return address of Escobar-anything?!
I don't even LIKE cocaine!!!!!!!

Maybe I'll change my name to "ICYcoldBLINGbling@aol* or something first!

Trace Mann

* thanks to some unknown wag on the ComedyCentral.com bulletin board for this one!

Changing MO isn't as unusual as crime fiction writers would have us believe. That's why most profilers distinguish between MO and signature. MO is what is necessary to get in a position to do what you WANT to do, which is signature. So if you're a necrophiliac who wants a dead body, how you get that dead body would be the most efficient way possible to you, which would be MO. Which could change depending on circumstances, what you found worked last time, what didn't work, how the victim reacts, etc. Signature would be what happened afterwards.

He may simply be trying out different techniques until he finds one that is comfortable to him. Which is, of course, a thoroughly disturbing thought.

suspect named/on the lam

Serial killer suspect identified

By Melinda Deslatte, Associated Press Writer

Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Baton Rouge, La. — After examining DNA from more than 1,000 people, police issued a murder warrant Monday for a man described as the prime suspect in the killings of five women in south Louisiana, saying his DNA linked him to one of the deaths.

Derrick Todd Lee, 34, was charged in the warrant with murder and aggravated rape in the killing of Carrie Yoder, 26, a Louisiana State University graduate student who became the serial killer's fifth victim in March.

The FBI also issued a fugitive warrant Monday, and police released a photo of Lee and asked the public to help locate him.

"He is to be considered armed and dangerous," said Police Chief Pat Englade, head of the task force investigating the killings.

While the warrant accuses Lee only of Yoder's murder, it says the DNA evidence removed from Yoder's body matched that taken from the other four victims.

Lee's home in St. Francisville, a small town north of Baton Rouge, sat open and empty on Monday. Records show Lee and his wife filed for bankruptcy in November 2002, and a court order to allow foreclosure on his house was signed May 16.

Bankruptcy records listed Lee's occupation as a truck driver.

Jane Lee, who identified herself as Lee's grandmother when contacted by phone in St. Francisville, said her grandson and his wife have two children. She said she was concerned about the warrant but wouldn't answer further questions.

The naming of a suspect came nearly a year after police linked the murders of three Baton Rouge women to a single DNA profile, creating a frenzy in the area as women flocked to self-defense classes and bought pepper spray and handguns.

Police conducted a massive 10-month DNA dragnet for the suspect, taking cheek scrapings and swabbings from more than 1,000 men.

The warrant says a DNA sample was taken from Lee on May 5 but did not say why or under what circumstances. Police refused to answer questions about the DNA testing.

WHEW! I guess....

He looks nothing like my pal in Louisiana! That is some small token of comfort for me, at least.

It doesn't help any of the victims though......

Hope they catch him, and catch him soon!

Trace Mann

I'm glad it's put your mind at rest Pumpkin. I did wonder if it was good or bad news for you. Glad to see it was good.

I do hope they find this man so further tests can be done. It could still be possible that he isn't the man who has committed these murders, he could be related to the murderer or shares a set of genetic markers which are found in his ethnic grouping.

He was caught in Atlanta - here is a local news story:

A tip from the FBI helped Atlanta authorities catch suspected serial killer Derrick Todd Lee, 34, Tuesday night.

Atlanta Police Chief Richard Pennington said the Metropolitan Atlanta Task Force received information from the FBI about Lee’s location. Authorities went to northwest Atlanta where they spotted and approached Lee, who was "wandering" outside Green’s Tire Shop, according to Pennington.

Police asked Lee for identification. Lee showed identification and the task force arrested him.

"He was arrested without incident and he was transported without any incident to the Atlanta Police Department headquarters," Chief Pennington said. "We have taken a very dangerous person that is a serial murder suspect off the streets."

Lee was transferred to the Fulton County Jail at 1 a.m. Wednesday.

Lee's Journey
An intense manhunt for Lee shifted from Louisiana to Atlanta after the suspect was spotted at an Atlanta Motor Lodge.

Investigators believe Lee had traveled by bus from Louisiana to Chicago and then to Atlanta. He fled Louisiana after voluntarily giving police a DNA sample back on May 5.

"Mr. Lee became very nervous and he left the area. We've tracked him to several different places, into Chicago and then down to Atlanta. He's been in Atlanta a couple of times. This is his second trip here," said U.S. Marshal Richard Vaughn Mecum.

Atlanta authorities narrowly missed catching Lee twice; first at local homeless shelter and again when witnesses spotted Lee on Memorial Day at the Lakewood Motor Lodge in southwest Atlanta.

While living at the motor lodge, Lee made friends with residents, even grilling ribs on the motor lodge owner's grill. He also started a Bible study.

"Once his picture appeared on the news media, throughout the news media, he knew he was a wanted person in this area," Pennington said.

The DNA results linked Lee to the murders of five women in southern Louisiana where he lived. He is suspected in a sixth death more than a decade ago and the disappearance of yet another woman.

'A Very Gentle Man'
Authorities traced him to the hotel when he made a phone call to his girlfriend using the hotel manager’s cell phone. By the time FBI agents arrived at the hotel, Lee had already fled.

“His girlfriend notified him or asked him [the] question if he was the one [and said], ‘I think they know that you are the one who has killed the women here in Louisiana,’ at which point he abruptly ended the conversation, hung up the phone, and left,” Mecum said.

Hotel manger Bob Idicalla said Lee checked out of the hotel around 11:45 a.m. and that authorities arrived at around 2 p.m.

Workers, however, recognized the suspect from photographs. A woman who lived next door to Lee said her husband gave him a ride to the Ashby MARTA station.

“My husband says that he still can’t believe it,” she said.

Idicalla said Lee, as police had characterized him, was a very congenial man. “He is a very gentle man and a very nice guy,” he said.

Lee also had a job in Atlanta for the past week, officials said. He poured cement for a contractor and even cashed a pay check.

Suspect in Five Killings
Lee was charged in a warrant issued Monday with murder and aggravated rape in the killing of Carrie Yoder, 26, a Louisiana State University graduate student who became the serial killer's fifth known victim in March.

Authorities in Zachary, a Baton Rouge suburb, said police obtained a DNA sample from him -- which linked him to the five slayings -- because they were investigating him for an unconnected disappearance in their town.

Zachary Police Chief Joey Watson said a detective in neighboring East Feliciana Parish was given a tip from one of Lee's relatives that Lee was discussing the disappearance of Randi Mebruer, 28, who vanished from her home in April 1998.

The tip, combined with a review of Lee's criminal history led police to seek a DNA sample from Lee, and a court order was obtained, Watson said Tuesday. The sample was obtained May 5, authorities said.

Zachary police also suspect Lee is connected to the murder of Connie Warner, 41, who was found killed in September 1992, also in Zachary, Watson said.

The Warner and Mebruer cases have not been linked to the serial killer, but Watson said he believes they were all connected. Watson said DNA evidence found in the Mebruer case is still being tested. He had no details on whether DNA tests were also pending in the 1992 case.

"There wasn't enough to say with all certainty, but there's enough to suspect that they're all related," he said.

The warrant Monday accuses Lee only of Yoder's murder, though it says DNA evidence removed from Yoder's body matched that taken from the other four victims.

link to the article:

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.asp?storyid=32199

Back