The Shag Harbour Incident: UFO Crashes In Canada [1967]

A

Anonymous

Info from research by Don Ledger. A book called "The Shag Harbour Incident" is available... out there. ;)

Roswell, HARUMPF! Around the night of October 4th, 1967, Shag Harbour Nova Scotia experienced a series of UFO sightings, and then the famous UFO on that date. The towns people of Shag Harbour, a small fishing community some miles from the city of Halifax, thought a plane had crashed into the harbour. A car load of folk as well as at least one man and one family saw "lights from a craft" that fell into the harbour, a glow from the "aeroplane" lights seen on the water. Did they exclaim "aliens!"? Nope, they called the RCMP and reported a plane crash (first question from Mountie who answered the phone" Were you drinking?"). The Mounties (both of them) called the Coast Guard, as fishermen in the area were called upon to take their vessels out to look for survivors. They found only a "yellow foam" on the water, which gave a "sulfur" stink. The experienced fishermen insist is isn't "sea foam" in any way. They had never seen anything like it before. With the arrival of the Coast Guard cutter, the total number of vessels in the search was seven that very same night.

Frantic calls up and down the coast to the RCAF, Military bases, American bases, etc. reveled no missing planes that night.

The "Air Desk" in Ottawa received a report from the RCC (Royal Coast Guard) and the RCMP from Shag Harbour. The report stated they had found no nothing after five hours of searching. Since the harbour and Sound were well known and not unusually deep or mysterious, everyone was satisfied there was no crashed plane. The Squadron Leader at the Air Desk scribbled "UFO" on the report with a pen.

Navy and RCMP Divers were brought out. Nothing. But lots of activity when they arrived on the morning of Oct. 5th. Nothing found.

The Chronicle Herald in Halifax ran this headline on Saturday the 6th. "Could be Something Concrete in Shag Harbour UFO-RCAF Continue to Search Today".

Still, the search (diving) continued until late Monday 8th until Maritime Command called off the search.

After that, there are all sort of strange stories, many impossible to confirm in any way. Russian sub spotted "lurking". Diving off Halifax Harbour miles away, and getting something (?). Divers stating "that ain't no sub down there!", etc. But the core "plane crash" story is veeery interesting. Lots of witnesses, official involvement, real people who are around today who are completely honest when they say; "God knows what it was... not a plane apparently!".

Roswell? HA! Try this one Fox Mulder!

naitaka

Ephemeral Spectre
While a lot of 'classic' cases dissolve under closer investigation, the Shag Harbour incident has stood up well to scrutiny. It's unusual because of the amount of official documentation from the RCMP, RCAF, etc.

Of course, like at Roswell, memories blur, stories are embellished, and people who weren't even there claim to have seen the whole thing. Still, it seems pretty clear that something odd happened.

But what? My bet is that a spacecraft was indeed involved, but that it came from Baikonour or Plesetsk, not Mars or the Pleiades.

Soviet satellites had a bad habit of falling on Canada - a nuclear powered one crashed in the Arctic, costing the Canadian government millions to clean up the radioactive debris. (The Russians promised to repay. The check is in the mail.)

Mystery objects - Soviet subs - there's enough intrigue in this story to make a Tom Clancy novel. I think we'll hear much more about Shag Harbour in the coming years.

A

Anonymous

A few good links to related stuff here.
I found this site regarding the new book. Apparently, the CBC is doing the advertizing. lol
Click here................................... :blah:

Dark Object
Sept. 30, 2001.
The Incident

mejane

Justified & Ancient
Shag habour?

Apologies in advance, but if I was an sex-starved alien I would definitely here!

J.

Mighty_Emperor

Beloved of Ra
Wild tale draws UFO buffs to Nova Scotia outpost

By Bram Eisenthal

Thursday, April 29, 2004SHAG HARBOUR, Nova Scotia - When it comes to UFOs, people tend to think of Roswell, Betty and Barney Hill, Project Blue Book - even that cute ragamuffin, E.T. But few people are aware that Canada experienced an incident last century that is perhaps one of the strangest, and best documented, in the history of unidentified flying objects.

You may be tempted to pass this off as the ruminations of madmen, but, as I discovered, this would probably be a mistake.

With magnificent scenery and warm people, I'd be the last one to recommend you come here just to visit an off-the-beaten-path spot like Shag Harbour. But if you're stalking the streets of Halifax, or traipsing through smaller gems like Lunenburg or Annapolis Royal, it's worth driving an extra couple of hours to stand at this spot. If you're a flying saucer buff, the stories don't come any crazier than this.

It happened on Oct.4, 1967. If you were here at the old moss processing plant, you could not have missed the strange object, wobbling in the sky and then slamming into the water at a 45-degree angle.

Chris Styles was 12 when he saw the object over Dartmouth, about two hours from Shag Harbour, during what has become known as ``The Night of the UFOs.''

In his book, ``Dark Object: The World's Only Government-Documented UFO Crash'' (Dell paperback, .50), co-authored with Don Ledger, Styles vividly recounts seeing ``an opaque featureless ball that glowed a dull orange.'' Following the object with his binoculars, ``I hadn't realized how big it was - it was easily 50 or60 feet in diameter,'' he said.

An adrenaline-pumped Styles rushed home. The next morning, when he picked up the newspapers he delivered daily, he was thrilled to see the story as that day's headline.

There's not much to see here the day of my visit but water and a few boats, heading out into the Atlantic. It's not cold, but Styles tale is enough to raise goosebumps.

Stiles said his grandfather, Gilbert Sampson, was here in Shag Harbour on vacation at the time. ``He witnessed something that came down and hit the water's surface.''

I try to picture this craft slamming into the blackness and continuing to glow, as it moved underwater through the harbor and made straight for open water.Fishermen took their boats out to investigate, but all they found was an unusual, fast-dissipating orange foam floating on the water.

One could suspect the many witnesses were part of an elaborate hoax, but Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constable Ian Andrew, in the company of three game wardens, also saw the orange object. The men watched as it moved, without a sound, above the tree line. ``What the hell is that?'' they asked one another.

That so many trained RCMP officers and other reliable sources saw it and filed reports, which Styles and Ledger obtained through Canada's Access to Information Act, make the story even creepier. But even Styles said, ``I am generally a skeptic regarding most theories, preferring to simply do the research and see where it takes me.''

Styles takes my wife and me to another place integral to the tale. About 30 minutes away, we arrive at what is now the Shelburne Film Production Centre. In 1967, during the Cold War, this was apparently a top-secret submarine listening post, CFB Shelburne. It was ``Harry,'' a retired Navy diver, who stunned the usually unflappable Styles and Ledger during a taped interview when he spoke of a UFO incident off the waters of Shelburne Harbour.

``You do know about the one off Shelburne, don't you?'' Styles said Harry asked them. ``You know, there was no doubt about that one.''

It was confirmed by Harry and other sources that Canadian and American naval divers were dispatched to both Shag Harbour and Shelburne Harbour, and they brought debris up from the shallow waters. ``We got big chunks of this stuff from the bottom,'' Harry told them.``Maybe foam is the wrong word. Some of it was decomposing as we brought it up.''

Today, the former CFB Shelburne is much as it was in 1967, and it isn't hard to imagine a frenzy of military activity here, though as with Shag Harbour, you do need an imagination. The only action is in the buildings' film sets, where such movies as ``The Scarlet Letter'' and ``Virginia's Run'' were made.

But Stanton J. Friedman thinks it's worth a visit for UFO buffs. The American-born nuclear physicist and renowned UFO theorist, who lives in Fredericton, New Brunswick, is considered the ``father of Roswell'' by legions of fans.I ask about the significance of Shag Harbour.

First, Friedman explained, it happened in the recent past and ``a whole lot of people involved are still alive to confirm the details.'' Next, he said, ``you can safely say that some kind of object came down there and was seen by lots of people.''

Friedman said visitors experience ``a sense of wonderment'' here.

``It's a great place to jumpstart your imagination, that's for sure.''
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/travelNews/view.bg?articleid=264

I was just watching "The New Roswell" on the Discovery Channel (I'm sure it'll be repeated again if you keep an eye out for it) and they certainly paint a fascinating picture of...... something. I do think they got over excited whenever they saw the word UFO in official documents.

One thing I thought was interesting was the use of the comic to tell the story.

Also did no one think to take a samples of the mysterious yellow foam at the crash site??

The details of the book I mentioned above:

Dark Object: The World's Only Government-documented UFO Crash (2001)
by Don Ledger and Chris Styles
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440236479/
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0440236479/

Cavynaut

Justified & Ancient
I saw that as well Emps.

Unfortunately I was cooking tea at the time and therefore running in and out of the kitchen to make sure that the chip pan didn't burst into flame.

What I saw of it looked interesting though, especially the bit about the bloke who detected an object flying overhead as a large magnetic anomaly. But on a cloudy day. :(

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Over 50 years ago, on the night of 4 October, strange lights appeared over the sky of a small Canadian fishing village.
Witnesses watched as the lights flashed and then dived towards the dark waters off the coast of Nova Scotia.
Now, what some believe to have been a UFO sighting has been commemorated by the Royal Canadian Mint.
The mint has released a collector's coin that tells the story of a "unique and mysterious event".
The scene on the glow-in-the-dark coin depicts a specific moment described by various eyewitnesses.

Mint spokesman Alex Reeves said the coin is "definitely one of the top performers" and has sold out on their website. It had a limited run of 4,000 and retailed for C$129.95 ($98; £79).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49901449