• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Singing Woman

A

Anonymous

A little story from me that seems to have affected all of my family at one point or another...

In 1979 we moved to a brand new house in Wolverhampton built on the site of an older terraced house known locally as "the wicky house". As soon as we moved in i knew i didnt feel very comfortable in there, it didnt seem "friendly" or comfortable. After a few months in the house we were awoken by someone singing on the landing in a high pitched voice and with no discernable words just a rising and falling in pitch. The voice was loud enough to wake my Dad who oddly enough was peering into the plug hole of the sink when i opened my bed room door. He seemed to think it was wind coming through the waste pipe, i didnt like to point out the plug was firmly entrenched in the hole. We exchanged bemused looks and went back to bed. However we were awoken every night for about three weeks by the singing and the entire family had "landing" meetings directly after to discuss it. The singing stopped after a while but new "odd" goings on started such as bed shaking, net curtain twitching, and door slamming started.

The "shows" as we termed them have continued for twenty odd years (my mum still lives in the house) and have been witnessed by various friends on sleep overs. Incidents have been dancing or moving furniture, inability to open doors, voices conversing in empty rooms, loud bangs, a disembodied hand stroking my sons head (report via my wife who stopped over during the live aid concert) and independent reports of a man in a grey suit looking out of the windows (children and adults see him).

Mom seems to think the incidents are not "unfriendly" and will beseech the "spirit" as she calls it to "please let me open the door" when again she finds herself unable to move from room to room. An odd house definitely and one of quite a few "dodgy" houses in the area.

...a disembodied hand stroking my sons head (report via my wife who stopped over during the live aid concert)
She actually saw this or did your son tell her?

She actually saw "it" stroke his head (he was asleep in the living room at the time) and then later on he confirmed to her the "man in the grey clothes" was watching the TV with him. My son who's now fifteen identifies the clothes as seventies clothes with flared trousers, a waistcoat and a big wide tie which is strange as we moved into the house in 1971 and were the only occupants.

The grey suited dude has been seen by almost everybody who has stopped at the house from children to adults but i've never seen it. I was always under the impression the incidents were always female based.

Any idea why the older terrace was known as "the wicky house"?

The "singing" and doors jamming etc is most likely due to subsidence - houses are big things and take some time to settle and if the house was only built in 1971 (or 1979) then it's probably still snuggling into the earth.

Um, when you say "disembodied hand" do you mean your wife/your son saw an actual flesh and blood hand with no supporting body or was just the effect seen?

I can't comment on the grey man, or why you think this was a female thing :confused:

Jane.

I think i know what you mean about the subsidence affecting properties but when they subside a sticky door needs to be planed for a refit and doors dont stick then unstick with such rapidity. According to an old chimney sweep back in the late seventies the wicky house was so called because it had quite a few fires, as far as he knew no one had ever died through a fire incident. A wicky house was a colloquial description of a residence which had numerous fire incidents.

A had a word with my wife and she said "it was a pale male hand and i didnt want to open my eyes further to see what it was attached to as the position of the hand would have meant the owner of it would have to be floating above the mattress"

I've only ever been aware of the female component of the incidents ie the singing as it made me acutely afraid of the house, words cant describe the utter terror i felt that night and seeing my father as scared as i was. I have a "feeling" the main protagonist is female.

I haven't got anything of any consequence to add to this thread except to say that this has really freaked me out!

I can't believe that your mother still lives there! What a brave woman to stay!

That bit about the hand is horrid. How awful to see something like that actually touching your child. I bet your wife was terrified.:eek!!!!: :eek!!!!:

The missus wasn't disturbed by it but just a bit scared and likewise mom who has a healthy outlook on all things spiritual....me on the other hand screaming fits of fear tearing hair out running away very fast describes my take on the house, in fact i left when i was 17 just old enough to scrape together the money for rent etc on a flat.

Wolverhampton has a very good local history unit in the Central Library, it might be worth looking up the history of the house. Best to ring the library first, as the local history unit has different opening hours to the rest of the library.

Longboardbuddha said:
I think i know what you mean about the subsidence affecting properties but when they subside a sticky door needs to be planed for a refit and doors dont stick then unstick with such rapidity. According to an old chimney sweep back in the late seventies the wicky house was so called because it had quite a few fires, as far as he knew no one had ever died through a fire incident. A wicky house was a colloquial description of a residence which had numerous fire incidents.

So it's nothing to do with Wicca, witches or wicker men then?

daftbugger said:
Wolverhampton has a very good local history unit in the Central Library, it might be worth looking up the history of the house. Best to ring the library first, as the local history unit has different opening hours to the rest of the library.

We've got pictures of the house that used to stand there before and it was just an end terrace nothing really special or anything that stood out. There were a number of other houses however in the same area that also had strange goings on with odd plaster reliefs over doorways and quasi masonic scripture over the doors. I'm sure there was a book written about some swords being found by students after a seance, i'll have a research around and have a look.

It's the living that you need to be scared of, the dead can't hurt you.

What really caught my eye whilst reading your story was the "disembodied hand". I myself have seen two of these hands on seperate occasions. I have a friend who's house I was at when I saw the first. It gripped the top of the door and threw it against the wall. Pretty weird, because at the time we where joking about ghost sightings and ghostly activities! Needless to say, it shut us up! Second time was at my house, with the same friend. Again, we where joking about paranormal... er... stuff. Heh. Anyway, the ghostly hand appeared quite high up her body, to her side, and traced the shape of her body down to her thigh, then drew back and faded. Weird, no?

As an update, this weekend "saw" the pool balls on a pool table roll and click madly together for about 15 minutes while my mom listened downstairs (the pool table is in the spare bedroom and my old room). The following is an email i got from my brother in law Steve on what happened when he slept on the settee one night.

"You know i didnt like sleeping there and it was due to a number of things one of them was the chair thing. I woke up about 5.30 in the morning and the main light was on even though i'd turned it off. I thought somebody had left it on looking for something and went to turn it back off when the chair in the corner moved. I thought it was one of the dogs trapped behind it so walked over to see when it tipped onto one corner (the front left) then each corner in turn. I froze for a minute and thought maybe stupidly that the dog was underneath it but the chair started doing a mad jig and shuddering i suppose you'd call it. It then stopped and a few coins fell out and rolled on the carpet. The tea cup on the coffee table started to revolve slowly and then everything when back to normal i suppose. I spent the rest of the early morning watching the telly and that was the last night i spent at your moms"

The disembodied hand thing was only seen by the missus and it seems that everybody who has witnessed an incident has something different to report. As a sidenote while chatting with the next door neighbours they reported that when the house is empty ie moms on holiday they regulary hear doors slam and footsteps on the stairs in the house (its a terrace house with thin walls)

Sorry, I'm a little confused (doesn't take much), can you clarify when you actually moved into the house because in your original post you say:

Originally posted by Longboardbuddha
In 1979 we moved to a brand new house in Wolverhampton built on the site of an older terraced house known locally as "the wicky house"

But then in our next post you state:

...which is strange as we moved into the house in 1971 and were the only occupants.

Sorry thats me being a nerk and not being clear....the house that stood there pre 71 was called the wicky house and was a terraced, (i think) victorian thing. The council demolished the row in 69-70 i think and built a brand new row in exactly the same position as the old one. We were the first family in the "new" house and maybe i presumed that to have a haunting there should be a previous occupant...does that clear it up?

Originally posted by ian1973uk
It's the living that you need to be scared of, the dead can't hurt you.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't be so certain about that.

I can definitely attribute all of the misfortune, crises and various other problems throughout my life so far to current inhabitants of this material plane.

Back