• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Sky is Falling !

A

Anonymous

This happened to me approximately two summers ago:

My son, my daughter and I were all outside in the yard. My son was in the front yard. My daughter was in the backyard. I was walking down the driveway along the side of the house.

As I was walking down the driveway, a bird fell from the sky, landed on the hood of my car and rolled onto the ground. I walked over to the bird for further inspection. It was a full grown wren, about 5 inches in length and dead as could be.

Just as I was inspecting the dead wren, I heard my daughter yelling "Mom! Mom! Come here!" As I came closer to her, she said "This bird just fell out of the sky and I picked it up and put it in my shirt" Further investigation revealed a smaller wren than the first. It had a broken wing. It remained as still as could be in the cradle of her shirt.

About that time, my son came around the corner of the house holding a bird in his upturned baseball cap... and saying "uhhhmmm... mom... this bird just fell out of the sky. What should I do with it?" Once again, a small wren, broken leg.

Any ideas on what would cause three birds to drop from the sky at the same time, all with-in the same vinicinty and yet 300 to 500 feet apart from each other?

I have a few ideas why this happened, but I'll reserve my thoughts until hearing what others might have to say. There has to be a logical explanation, right?

There has to be a logical explanation, right?

The only one I can't think of is you're so close to the military base - perhaps a mid-air collision :? What are your own ideas, Whidbey?

Reminds me of the story Fort told about British planes being 'shot down' over Germany by some invisible ray in 1923.

It's a strange and beautiful world.

-Fitz

Two birds, I'd conjecture mid-air collision.

I guess if you had a whole flock swirling around or two parts crossing paths, you could get several avian concussions, and subsequent injury upon hitting the ground.

But did they have little birdies circling their heads, or just plain stars?

Philo T said:
Two birds, I'd conjecture mid-air collision.
Hi Philo,

I hadn't thought of that idea... But it was three birds.
What are the chances of three birdies having a mid-air collision?

Flying Penguin said:
The only one I can't think of is you're so close to the military base - perhaps a mid-air collision What are your own ideas, Whidbey?
Hi FP!

You are correcto-mundo. I am extremely close to a military base, with-in a ¼ mile of the US Navy's private runway.

My own ideas concerning this mysterious event are purely conjecture.

At first I thought that perhaps some strange sonar/radio frequency interupted the poor birdies while they were in flight. With the US Navy so close to my house, flying their jets overhead all day & night, I suppose that is a possibility.

I've also considered the notion that a larger bird of prey (eagle or hawk) plucked the birdie nest from a tree, flew over my house shortly after nabbing the nest and the lost control of what he was carrying. Maybe the birds fell from their nest in mid air, while in shock?

It's a real head-scratcher, that's for sure.

There are many reports of bird falls.... mostly dead. Did you try Googling it? They suspect whirlwinds, or whatever picks up all the weird things that fall from the sky, rocks, algae, fish, hay, leaves (in huge clusters, not local) etc. I have been fascinated with this for years. I notice that they happened more in the past, than now.... hmmmmm.

It's true that Washington State has had a few verified cases of West Nile Virus. No reported cases near me though. The local health department collects dead birds each year and tests them for WNV.

But if it was WNV, would three birds suddenly drop from the sky, at the same time, in the same location, from the infection? Also... two of the birds were still alive after they hit the ground.

The only thing I know for certain is that it was strange.

The sky is falling

Could it be something they all ate? I'm assuming the metabolism of any given Wren is pretty much the same as any other, so if they all ate something recently poisoned, by pesticide or whatever, they could all die at approximately the same time afterwards.

We don't know for certain that they all died at the same instant, only that they were found in a close time frame in a local area.

Something similar happened where I live a while back, which we put down to the local Farmers spraying the fields; dead Starlings were found all along the roads near the farms.

The idea that a larger bird picked them up and flew over your house makes sense to me, although I don't know how you could know for sure.

Just curious, did you get help for the poor little birds who were hurt? It's such a sad story. It's weird to read it while looking at a smiley face. :lol:

Back