• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Small People

A

Anonymous

J Pallowe
This strange experience happened to me 11 years ago and I have not bothered to tell anyone else I know because I know they will only think of me as a spooky crackpot but I here it is as follows. As I live in Cornwall my grandmother always asked me if I believed in "small people", which I always presumed she meant fairy-folk and the like but she always referred to them as "small people".

http://217.206.205.129/happened/smallpeople.shtml

Link is dead. Not archived at the Wayback Machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that this story sounds particularly far-fetched, but unfortunately there was no visual encounter.

I've heard some pretty strange noises late at night from the back garden, noises which have sent the dog running barking to the back door.

After letting the dog out, and following it, I've always found it barking at hedgehogs, or cornered cats.

I did like the concept of being " more or less completely alone", tho' !

It sounded like a high-pitched laugh and I almost jumped at of my skin, I looked around, searching through the dark surroundings but I could see nothing. I was shaking with fear then I could gradually hear a very faint babbling sound very close to a human voices
It could have been a fox, you know. They have a high pitched yelp that can sound a bit like a small child, crying. Our senses do strange things at night.

I remember walking back from a friends one night and heading under a dark railway bridge. The road was on the edge of the country and only partially lit. As I walked towards the bridge I could hear footsteps coming towards me. With the hair rising on the back of my neck I walked under the bridge and the footsteps passed me on the other side of the narrow road. But, there was no one attached to them.

With my heart beating like a techno-hardcore drum machine, I walked away as the footsteps receded behind me. Then I stopped and decided to go back. The footsteps headed towards me again. Under the bridge they kept going, but stopped moving.

With unbelievable relief, I discovered water dripping from the underside of the bridge. Magnified by the echo, and my imagination, they'd been enough to put the wind up me proper!

Your grannie's, innocent, little bit of suggestion was more than enought to intensify the sound of some small, nocturnal creature, perhaps.

It's funny (peculiar, not ha ha) that you use the term 'small people'. A friend of mine was in Cornwall one Summer about 6 or 7 years ago when he had strange experience, claiming not only to have seen a group of small people, but also to have experienced an intense buzzing sound beforehand. The buzzing noise came on suddenly and made him stop (AFAIK, he was out for a walk at the time). He then saw a group of small people standing nearby, who were looking at him intensely. They were naked and looked rather dishevelled, and their skin was covered with what looked like some sort of paint, in various shades. When I asked him if he meant that they were like children or dwarves or something similar, he insisted that he meant that they looked like adults, but 'scaled down'. They weren't dwarf-like in any way. They were also surrounded by a sort of heat haze. I can't remember how this event ended, whether the people disappeared, faded from view, or whatever.
This buzzing sound also ties in with a similar experience that two other friends had near Alfred's Tower in Somerset. They heard this intense sound, which blocked out all others, and thought at first that it was a huge swarm of bees nearby. Just as they were trying to figure out what it was, the noise faded.

When I was about four years old my family stayed in a caravan in Cornwall. I had a small room to myself, and remember waking early one morning with pink sunlight streaming through the little window. A tiny bearded man was standing on the window sill looking in at me. Of course I was only four, and probably still half asleep, makes you think though.

Now, remind me what prevents the giggling from coming from a small child, amused to see a grown adult peeing in the wood?
And why do all these whale tales occur after a trip to the pub... :hmph:
Thanks,

merridew said:
Now, remind me what prevents the giggling from coming from a small child, amused to see a grown adult peeing in the wood?
And why do all these whale tales occur after a trip to the pub... :hmph:
Thanks,

cos small children go to bed at such times. ;)

in 1997 i was with my sister and her friend in north cornwall, i dont remember the name but the place was just a big sand pit!

it was like being on tatooine in star wars! there was a half buried old church that we wanted to see.

anyhoo on the way back we heard what sounded like bells ringing, rather faint and their was knowone for miles around. my sisters friend described this as fairy bells.

JerryB said:
They were also surrounded by a sort of heat haze.
Jerry, do you recall if your friend mentioned anything about the heat haze stinging his eyes when he looked at it?

Just a sentence on 'little people'

Just before my Mother died last September we had a talk about the family and she said:

"Well, you know your Grandmother saw the 'little people' on the Isle of Sky, when she was an adult".

No amount of coaxing would get my Mum to expand on this amazing revelation. She said her mother had only told her about it, and not the rest of the family, for fear of being mocked. My mother did not want me to mock either.

My grandmother was a God-fearing, Church attending, unsentimental, mother of four, and very down-to-earth.

Anyone else heard of fairies on the Isle of Sky?

Faldor said:
cos small children go to bed at such times. ;)

Not all of them do. There are plenty of children about with parents who don't care and don't control the little blighters.
When I lived in Peterborough, I was often disturbed by the noise of little horrors outside past midnight.

Back