• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Society For Psychical Research

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Hi,

'tis I, asking more questions, I'm afraid.

I've just been looking at the (British) Society for Psychical Research website with half an eye to joining. Is anyone here a member and can they recommend the group?

My main motivation was that my MA was based on nineteenth century spiritualism and psychical research, and I may well find their library useful for future work. That said, i'm more interested in knowing what their lectures and members are 'like': i'm not a mystical loony by a long stretch, but nor am i endeared to sitting in dry lectures with boring old chaps who adore the sound of their own voices.

Any opinions/recomendations?

Cheers

go for it

Bourne: It's a miracle.
Chard: If it's a miracle Colour
Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle. And thats my favorite movie "ZULU"..(also Horatio hornblower) I PM'ed U..

Erm...:confused: Ruff, were you channelling there or something? :D

Yitthian - a colleague of mine was involved with the SPR a while back: I'll ask her and report back :).

Re: go for it

ruffready said:
Bourne: It's a miracle.
Chard: If it's a miracle Colour
Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle. And thats my favorite movie "ZULU"..(also Horatio hornblower) I PM'ed U..
I'm beginning to think that Ruff' occasionally sells comics to Freewheelin' Franklin, or Phineas Freakears, on the barter system. ;)

stu neville said:
Erm...:confused: Ruff, were you channelling there or something? :D

Yitthian - a colleague of mine was involved with the SPR a while back: I'll ask her and report back :).

Bump!

Any feedback, Mr Neville?

Or anyone else for that matter?

sure !! I'll have some!!

what kind cha got?....I'm thinking about that time I tryed to pick up that chick ..ended up at a nam me yoh ho ren gay kwo ..chanting party ..jeezzee..I was a naieve teenager though and had to many twinkees and boonsfarm..

Hi Yithian

If you're still thinking of joining I would recommend it. As an overseas member, East of Suez, attending events will be difficult but you will get the Journal and Magazine as well as access to all online meetings. You will also have free access to all Journals since the SPR began in 1882. Many past lectures were recorded on audio and copies are available for members.

Hi Yithian

If you're still thinking of joining I would recommend it. As an overseas member, East of Suez, attending events will be difficult but you will get the Journal and Magazine as well as access to all online meetings. You will also have free access to all Journals since the SPR began in 1882. Many past lectures were recorded on audio and copies are available for members.

I haven't given it any thought for a long time, but I have continued reading bits and pieces about the founders and their circle: Myers, Gurney, Podmore, Sidgwick et als.

It would be fascination to delve into the vintage Proceedings; I only skimmed the surface when I was writing about them.

Back