• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Theory of Reproduction is Wrong!

littleblackduck

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
This sort of thing infuriates me. Banning the teaching of Evolution in scientific biology is like banning the mention of God in Sunday School. You still have a lot to talk about but none of it makes any sense. But rather than rant, I will apply the Fortean touch. See below.

Source: http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040428/04/

April 28, 2004

No evolution for Italian teens

Scientists, teachers shocked by plan to cut evolutionary teaching in secondary school

By Rossella Lorenzi

No evolution for Italian teensScientists, teachers shocked by plan to cut evolutionary teaching in secondary school | By Rossella Lorenzi

Tens of thousands of Italians have expressed their disagreement with a plan by the minister of education, universities, and research, Letizia Moratti, to ban the teaching of evolutionary theory to young teenagers.

Fearing the measure will pave the way for creationist teaching, more than 40,000 citizens—and the number is still increasing—have subscribed a petition launched last week by some of the country's top scientists through the daily La Repubblica.

The document, signed by Nobel laureates Rita Levi Montalcini and Renato Dulbecco, together with scientists including Luca Cavalli Sforza, Bruno Dallapiccola, and Alberto Piazza, urges Moratti to “review the secondary schools programs and to rectify an oversight which is detrimental to the scientific culture of future generations.”

“Ignoring the theory of evolution is a cultural limitation sacrificing the scientific curiosity of youth. It's unquestionably fair to point out that Darwinism and the theories that derived from it show gaps and unsolved problems, but the link between the past and the present of mankind shouldn't be completely ignored,” write the scientists.

The Italian school system, which Moratti aims to reform shortly, is divided into three levels: primary school (“scuola elementare”), which lasts 5 years, from 6 to 11 years of age, secondary school (“scuola media”), which lasts 3 years, and high school (“scuola superiore”), which lasts 5 years.

Established by legislative decree on February 19, the new teaching programs for secondary schools make no mention of the history of human evolution, nor of the relationship between mankind and other species.

As a result, boys and girls aged 12 to 14 will have no idea of subjects such as “Structure, Function, and Evolution of Living Organisms” and “The Biological and Cultural Evolution of Mankind,” said the scientists who launched the petition.

The National Association of Natural Science Teachers (ANISN) believes the ban will affect deeply the teaching of science. “This is the structure on which the entire teaching of natural sciences is based. We cannot talk of plants and animals without talking of evolution as well,” Vincenzo Boccardi, vice president of ANISN, told The Scientist.

Italian children, argues Moratti, would not understand such a complex subject at that age. She added that evolutionary biology will be taught in high schools, according to “gradual teaching criteria.”

Carlo Alberto Redi, a developmental biologist at the University of Pavia and one of the petition's subscribers, said that waiting until high school to teach the concepts of evolutionary theory could be too late.

“Darwin's conceptual paradigm is fundamental in the education of young students,” Redi told The Scientist. “This is an unbelievable step backwards.”

Links for this article
Letizia Moratti
http://www.palazzochigi.it/Governo/Biografie/moratti_letizia.ht ml

Appeal: New School Programme Detrimental to Scientific Culture
http://www.repubblica.it/speciale/2004/appelli/scuola2/index_en g.html

National Association of Natural Science Teachers
http://www.anisn.it/

Anti-Reproductionist Rant

Come to think about it, aren't these the same people who think the Theory of Reproduction SHOULD be banned from Sex Education?

Any hoo.

The Theory of Reproduction, taught in our schools to innocent children, is wrong! It is a tool of the Devil to corrupt and destroy our children, our religion and our way of life!

It should be banned from Sex Ed classes, and children should be taught to hold their knees together until they are 35, married, and have made a down payment on a house.

But don't take my word for it: here are the reasons why the Theory of Reproduction is wrong.

1. Not all authorities on human procreationism agree on the facts. The Theory of Reproduction is just that, a theory!

2. There are gaps in the genealogical record.

3. Look around you: do you see any humans reproducing? Perhaps you have caught somebody having sex, but sex has absolutely nothing to do with reproduction. I've had sex, oh, dozens of times, and I have never yet seen a human baby make an appearance during the act of coitus. There is no evidence that human beings reproduce! Sex doesn't make babies! Only God can make babies!

4. If the Theory of Reproduction is taught, the Stork Theory should get equal time in the schools.

5. The Virgin Mary never had sex and she became the Mother of God. How to the Reproductionists explain that little fact? A miracle? Reproductionists don't believe in miracles. No, it was just plain old-fashioned parthenogenesis, the only genesis human beings need!

6. Can you imagine your grand-parents making babies? I rest my case. It is impossible to conceive such an abomination.

7. Teaching the Theory of Reproduction is just the first step in the implementation of the reproductionist hidden agenda. Next thing you know they will be teaching evolution in biology, the atomic theory of matter in chemistry and physics, the germ theory in medicine and heliocentric views in astronomy classes. The Bible doesn't mention atoms, germs, diurnal rotation, or human eggs. The Reproductionist agenda is anti-Christian.

8. Reproductionism leads to abortion, sexual intercourse and Lamaze classes! None of these evils are necessary because intercourse is not necessary to make babies.

9. Where do all those unwed mothers come from if a man is necessary for reproduction? Let reproductionists explain that!

10. Next thing you know they'll be forcing people to teach reproductionism in Sunday Schools.

littleblackduck :

That is one of the greatest things I've read in a long, long time. :D

I've never heard such a load of codswallop in my life. It is a scientifically proven fact that babies are found in cabbage patches. Refusal to accept the evidence is a denial of common sense.

Sorry if I'm missing the point, but isn't the article talking about the theory of evolution. I can't understand where the term "theory of reproduction" is coming from.

The "theory of reproduction" is NO theory. After many years of diligent experimentation, my wife and I have two children and two grandchildren that prove, beyond doubt, that reproduction does in fact occur. ;)

Now you know why I dont allow cabbages or gooseberry bushes in my garden.

Back