• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Tinfoil Hat / Helmet

A

Anonymous

To all:

In depicting the field of considerations so far beyond the pale as to be termed "Fortean", there are few symbols as evocative as the metal hat. Whether it's someone wearing a colander, a bucket, or a tin foil lined derby, this evidently almost archetypal image of the lengths someone will go to "to keep their brain from being manipulated by UFO rays" at once imparts the seriousness that Forteans apply to these type of subjects, as well as, in disrespectful films, allowing comic relief subject matter.

It can be asked, then, if anyone does know of anyone who seriously and systematically utilized some kind of metal headgear, for the expressed purpose of "keeping them from becoming a mind slave". It might also be instructive to know what effects, if any, it had, either subjective or objective.

In terms of "traditional" science, it should be mentioned, there is the temptation to include, in this subject, the apparent initiative of the American military, to design ever more enveloping metal headgear. Originally, helmets for U.S. soldiers resembled those used by the British army. During World War II, the U.S. developed its own distinctive look. There is at least a slight disturbing aspect, though, to the fact that modern U.S. Army helmets, in fact, resemble Nazi soldier helmets! But, in fact, could preventing "mind control rays" be an unspoken purpose of modern American military headgear?

Along the same lines, in a world as supposedly filled with electromagnetic rays as ours is, it is questionable how soon it will be before an "expert" declares that solid - and expensive - metal helmets actually do protect certain people from harmful effects! And takes the complete credit for having discovered that fact!

Julian Penrod

julianpenrod said:
There is at least a slight disturbing aspect, though, to the fact that modern U.S. Army helmets, in fact, resemble Nazi soldier helmets! But, in fact, could preventing "mind control rays" be an unspoken purpose of modern American military headgear?
I think it more likely that the German army helmets of the latter part of World War I (based on the earlier 'picklehaube'), as well those of World War II, and the similiar US Army variant offered better protection to the temples and ears of the wearer, from stray bullets, explosions and shrapnel.

One of the perps in an episode of 'Starsky and Hutch' used to wear aluminum foil hats and underwear against intrusive rays (may even have been proof against microwaves).

julianpenrod said:
....It can be asked, then, if anyone does know of anyone who seriously and systematically utilized some kind of metal headgear, for the expressed purpose of "keeping them from becoming a mind slave". It might also be instructive to know what effects, if any, it had, either subjective or objective...

This bod who's been mentioned in the 'Aliens and Children' thread seems to take the metal/conductive hat seriously, and has testimonials:

http://stopabductions.com/

By coincidence he's also mentioned in this weeks New Scientist, but not entirely seriously, as I hardly need to say.

BTW: I agree with Androman, metal army helmets are more likely to be designed to stop fast moving bits of metal than mind control rays...and aren't a lot of modern helmets made from Kelvar, rather than metal?

IJ we need your advice.

Re: Re: the "metal hat"

...and aren't a lot of modern helmets made from Kelvar, rather than metal?

Yeah, the new US helmets are Kevlar. SWAT teams and riot police use them too.

CTaylor8 wrote:

As have the men and women in our British armed forces
(for fifteen years or more).

Hang on. Wait 'til I get home from work and get to my big bookshelf. Then I can spout off some anecdotal reference from Frank Zappa's autobiography about a fella Zappa once knew who wore the patented 'collander-on-head'-style Metal Hat, for mind protection purposes. IIRC, this was the least of this character's eccentricities. More after 4.00pm, when I escape the ravening sprogs...

101 said:
Hang on. Wait 'til I get home from work and get to my big bookshelf. Then I can spout off some anecdotal reference from Frank Zappa's autobiography about a fella Zappa once knew who wore the patented 'collander-on-head'-style Metal Hat, for mind protection purposes. IIRC, this was the least of this character's eccentricities. More after 4.00pm, when I escape the ravening sprogs...

Right. Suitably refreshed with sausgaae casserole and Czech beer, I'm in the mood for anecdote-retelling. As it turns out, Zappa's 'metal hat' guy was even more odd than I'd remembered. I've fished out 'The Real Frank Zappa Book' (Picador. ISBN 0-330-31625-7) from a part of my library currently obscured beneath a divan bed (dont ask...), and in it we find...

"Crazy Jerry"

"Jerry was about thirty-five or fourty, and had been in and out of mental institutions for years. He was addicted to speed . When he was a young boy, his mother (who worked for the Probation Department) presented him with a copy of Gray's Anatomy . He read it dutifully, and noted that in some of the illustrations it said "such and such a muscle, when present-," and so it was that Jerry set out to develop the "when present" muscles of the human body. He invented 'exercise devices' for those 'special areas' that had not been inhabited by muscle tissue since the book was written.
He didn't look like a bodybuilder, but he was very strong. he could bend re-bars (the steel rods used to reinforce concrete) by placing them on the back of his neck and pulling forward with his arms. As a result of this personal; experimentation, he had sprouted wierd lumps all over his body - but that was just the beginning.
Somewhere along the line, Jerry discovered that he loved - maybe even was addicted to - electricity . He loved getting shocked, and had been arrested a number of times when unsuspecting suburbanites had discovered him in their yards, with is head pressed against their electric meter - because he just wanted to be near it...
... Jerry wanted to be a musician, so he taught himself to play the piano by using a mirror. He told me that by watching his hands in a mirror, placed "just so" it made the distance between the keys look smaller, and it was a lot easier to learn that way. He also wore a metal hat (an inverted colander) because he was afraid that people were trying to read his mind."

So, Zappa's recollections of 'Crazy Jerry' were even wierder than I remembered (and I left out a whole bunch of stuff about Jerry's one-time housemate, 'Wild Bill, the Mannequin-F***er'!), but what struck me was that Zappa uses the exact term "Metal Hat" to describe Jerry's anti-telepathy equipment.

In a slight aside, I've been invited to a party this weekend, where the fancy-dress theme is 'Unusual Hats'. Until I read this thread, I was going to wear my leather porkpie, but now I think I'm going to dust off my colander....

There was the chap on one of the 'Neighbours from Hell' tv programmes, whose neighbour from hell was a cell phone mast. He had a nice metal hat to protect himself with and even had his bed surrounded by a Faraday cage.

The movie "Signs" has a couple great foil hat scenes that had me laughing really hard.

Re: Re: Re: the "metal hat"

ctaylor8 said:

Interestingly, many US SWAT teams use British Army Mk.8 helmets while SO19 wear US pattern helmets...:confused:

Re: Re: Re: Re: the "metal hat"

Inverurie Jones said:
Interestingly, many US SWAT teams use British Army Mk.8 helmets while SO19 wear US pattern helmets...:confused:
Bizarre. Any idea why, pros and cons?

I think you have got all wrong, the metal hats as used by the armed forces are in fact an aerial for inducing mind control, why else would a person need to be told which foot to put down on the ground and in what order, how else would you get someone, when given the order to charge, to climb out of a trench scramble over tons of barbed wire and run at someone shooting at them with a machine gun.
Plus, you don’t see the one giving the orders wearing a tin hat.

All officers where the same helmets as the troops, which aren't metal...
I bet you can't march in time with other people, either.

There are plenty of designs still out there see also:

http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

You can even buy this:

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie: Practical Mind Control for Paranoids
Lyle Zapato

Synopsis

Many people are unaware that their actions and thoughts are being directed to suit the agendas of shadowy agencies, despite incontrovertible evidence that this is happening every day to ordinary people just like you! Fortunately, you hold in your hands a ticket to board the bus to mental freedom -- with an Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (AFDB). The AFDB is the most effective, inexpensive and stylish way to combat psychotronic mind control. This definitive guide to aluminium foil brain shielding offers everything the budding paranoid needs to fight the nefarious forces of mind control, including easy-to-follow instructions for custom-made AFDBs for adults, children, pregnant women, pets, and plants; tips and tricks from experienced paranoids; the history and underlying theory of the AFDB; and an eye-opening guide to potential enemies (trust no one - they are everywhere!). Make your Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie now before it's too late!

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/15816 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1581603 ... enantmc-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to find out about tinfoil hats, as used to protect the wearer from mind control, for an article I'm writing for the magazine. I've looked in books we've got here, and asked around, but I can't find anything on how the idea first originated. Can anyone remember having seen anything in a book or online anywhere? Your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks loads

Jen

Staff Writer / Picture Researcher
Fortean Times

I've tried the Millenium edition of Brewer's dictionary of phrase and fable (I thought it may have had something in it) but sadly there's no reference to tin foil hats.

I did find these discussions on the net:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bi ... D=1&P=1121

http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/2003/10 ... tion.shtml

http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/15510

and from what I've looked at above, most sources say they think it originates from the 70s but no one is sure who may have started the phrase. The wikipedia article here has a list of the usage of tin foil hats in popular culture, with a reference to Frank Zappa as knowing someone who would wear various headgear as well as tin foil to "stop people reading his mind".

Coincidentally I've just written something along these lines (although a little more tongue in cheek).

Although it may originate in the fifities it seems to be the Sixties when it filtered into mainstream culture. Frank Zappa met and recorded the life of a man addicted to electricity called "Crazy Jerry" (I can't think it helped that he was mad and lived with a guy who made drugs called "Wild Bill the Mannequin-Fucker" - both nicknames seem appropriate):

http://wiki.killuglyradio.com/index.php/Crazy_Jerry

and Wikipedia claim they used to wear stuff on their heads:

In his autobiography, Frank Zappa refers to Echo Park residents "Crazy Jerry," an electricity addict and speed user who had been institutionalized a number of times, and his roommate known only as "Wild Bill the Mannequin Fucker," a chemist and methamphetamine cook who modified department store mannequines for sexual uses. Both are reputed to have employed metallic hats (vegetable steamers, aluminium pots, tin-foil etc.,) to "keep people from reading their minds."

Someone would need to dig out a copy of Zappa's "The Real Frank Zappa Book" to confirm this.

The next cultural reference seems to be in 1983's Lovesick:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0085873/

So it may not have been that widespread except amongst a few paranoid schizophrenics (its just an extension of earlier ideas like the Air Loom Gang with a touch of scientific mumbo jumbo about Faraday Cages thrown in to help create a kind of placebo counter to alleged external influences so in some ways it is continuous just morphing over time).

[Edit: Seems Q got there ahead of me - damn the browser crashing ;)

I think the Scientific American quote is interesting:

The origin of the tinfoil hat

Many people are familiar with the notion of the tinfoil hat, an idea linked with wild conspiracy theories. I think I've figured out where the tinfoil hat idea comes from. From 100-year old junk science, as a matter of fact.

The February issue of Scientific American contains this item on its "50, 100 & 150 Years Ago" page:

FEBRUARY 1904
CHIMERICAL RAYS--"M. Aug Charpentier brings out the interesting point that the rays given out by living organisms differ from the N-rays discovered by M. Rene Prosper Blondlot, and the thinks they are formed of N-rays and another new form of radiation. This is especially true of the rays from the nerve centers or nerves, whose striking characteristic is that they are partially cut off by an aluminum screen. A sheet of 1/50th of an inch is sufficient to cut down considerably the rays emitted by a point of the brain... [Editors' note: Both these forms of radiation were eventually disproved.]" (Emphasis mine.)

So there you have it--the origin of the tinfoil hat.

http://nothing-to-see-here.blogspot.com ... chive.html

Didn't some members of the Aum Shinrikyo cult wear them...?

I'm sure it goes a lot earlier, but this episode of Starsky & Hutch, from 1975, is a good contender for an early appearance in Popular Culture:

"Lady Blue" Original Air Date: 12 November 1975 (Season 1, Episode 10) .
http://www.dejazebra.tigersbreath.com/char-guide/3uz01.htm

Wrightwood, James March S-1 10 Keach, James
Crazy person who is killing Go-go dancers, including Helen Davisson, and
undercover cop. He is called 'Commander Jim' on the streets. Believes sonic, and radio waves from Andromida invade him and take him over. He lines his room with aluminum foil and wears it under his clothing to reflect the bad waves. Believes radio station KLOW at 97.5 is telling him to kill the women, and he sets all the car radio's to that station. He was institutionalized at the San Lioni Institute under the care of Dr. Melford. He was released by Dr. Melford three weeks before Ep., because he passed a written test. Was given medication to take and got a job as a welder. He is traced to KLOW's radio tower after abducting Karen, another Go-go dancer, and is chased up the tower, but falls to his death.

One wonders about the reference to him becoming a welder. Perhaps a cultural reference to Richard Shaver?

From some time in 1973: Richard Shaver's "Think Hats":

http://www.softcom.net/users/vtown/thinkhat.html

Here is Richard Shaver's ad copy for

The Think Hat!

Want to out-think the smartest ones? You can!!!! THE THINK HAT decreases resistance in neuron conductors! A Harmless magnetic field decreases resistance, lets you think quicker -- better -- more! THE THINK HAT is a tiny battery powered field generator that attaches to the inside of your hat (clip is in the lining). NOW... does someone want to dicker with you about the price of a horse?

OR -- does the new lawn-mower need fixing and you can't think what the mechanic told you? ANY problem gets easier -- finds a solution quickly -- when you put on THE THINK HAT.

thinkhat5.gif

© the Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie site

Only $8.95 plus tax. Deluxe model $52.50. money back guarantee if not elated, circumcised and generally bemused with its total effectiveness in increasing the amount of thought going on in your mind.

Considering Shaver first started his spiel in the mid-40's and was obsessed with counteracting the harmful mental rays emitted by the Deros, I wonder if he could possibly be the inventor of the original tin-foil hat?

Thanks loads everybody - you've been fantastic!

My favourite tin foil hat article: On the Effectiveness of Tin Foil Hats; http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/, which is the write up of a not entirely serious investigation of the tin foil helmet and its effectiveness at preventing the penetration of the wearer's skull with waves of various types. The findings were that the helmets generally enhanced the penetration of the skull, rather than acting as a protective agent, and positing the possibility that the promotion of tin foil helmets could be disinformation designed to make the influencing of the population more easy.

On the Effectiveness of Aluminium Foil Helmets:
An Empirical Study
Ali Rahimi1, Ben Recht 2, Jason Taylor 2, Noah Vawter 2
17 Feb 2005
1: Electrical Engineering and Computer Science department, MIT.
2: Media Laboratory, MIT.
Abstract
Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

The link is dead. A PDF copy of the publication can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110210123946/http://berkeley.intel-research.net/arahimi/helmet/

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back