• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Top Ten Best GHOST PHOTOGRAPHS Ever Taken

OldTimeRadio said:
Was the Lord Combermere who died in 1891, and his ghost supposedly then photographed, the son or the grandson of the Lord Combermere who was the most prominent witness to the "Creeping Coffins" of Barbadoes episodes of the 1820s?
OTR is working his database hard!

Gives rise to speculation, though.... :shock:

rynner said:
OTR is working his database hard!

Actually, my friend, I didn't need the database for THAT one. Unless, of course, you are referring to the one between my ears. <g>

Someone in this thread mentioned a book called "PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE UNKNOWN".

I bought this book about 25 years ago when I was a kid and some photo's are very eerie.

It had a poor B&W photo of the cumberland spaceman where you couldn't make it out.

Still a good book though.

I don't believe I've mentioned this here before, but the 10 ghost photographs are also currently available on the PRAVDA website (the first place I saw them), and in some cases the images seem larger and even a little sharper.

Someone in this thread mentioned a book called "PHOTOGRAPHS OF THE UNKNOWN".

I bought this book about 25 years ago when I was a kid and some photo's are very eerie.

I remember having this book also, the creepiest photos for me was the one call 'monk in death throes' or something like that.

I found a pic of the cover which shows one of the photos,

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3963747

Hans Holzer

Can some member of the congregation please supply me with the title of the collection of ghost and psychic photographs published some 30 years ago by the pop "ghost hunter" Hans Holzer?

Re: Hans Holzer

OldTimeRadio said:
Can some member of the congregation please supply me with the title of the collection of ghost and psychic photographs published some 30 years ago by the pop "ghost hunter" Hans Holzer?
Is it "Psychic Photography: Threshold of a New Science"?

Re: Hans Holzer

kishin1 said:
Is it "Psychic Photography: Threshold of a New Science"?

That sounds right and thanks for the lead. I'll check it out.

The most interesting chapter of the book featured psychic photographs in which the paranormal entities showed up as old-fashioned woodcuts and engraving - exactly the same as have turned up on supposedly-"fake" seance photographs.

I remember thinking that if these photos (produced for the book) were genuine, we really DO have New Ball Game.

But i wasn't entirely convinced.

OldTimeRadio said:
I don't believe I've mentioned this here before, but the 10 ghost photographs are also currently available on the PRAVDA website (the first place I saw them), and in some cases the images seem larger and even a little sharper.
Hi Ive been looking for this page, can you provide a link...

HenryFort said:
OldTimeRadio said:
Hi Ive been looking for this page, can you provide a link...

Here it is.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Hampton Court one had been proved to be a fake..can't give any kind of source document for that other than a vague memory.

The picture that shows a ghost sitting in it's favorite chair...either the chair is massive or he was a tiny tiny man, his feet would not even have reached the floor.

What I would like to challenge anyone to do it try and recreate any of the ghost pictures without the use of photoshop or any modern photography equipment just to see how robust the double exposure theory actually is.

One of these :_pished:
followed by one fo these :likee:
then one of these :kissers:

yes, you get a series of emoticons

Delores_de_Syn said:
What I would like to challenge anyone to do it try and recreate any of the ghost pictures without the use of photoshop or any modern photography equipment just to see how robust the double exposure theory actually is.

Surely the burden of proof is with those who state that a photograph shows a ghost, rather than with those who fail to be convinced..?

Yes but I think it would be interesting as a project simply because as soon as a photo showing a ghostly image appears it is immediately debunked as a double image, reflection, camera strap and so on and I for one would like to see just how easy is is to recreate any of the images in question using contemporary equipment

just for the record I not believe in ghosts

Delores_de_Syn said:
Yes but I think it would be interesting as a project simply because as soon as a photo showing a ghostly image appears it is immediately debunked as a double image, reflection, camera strap and so on and I for one would like to see just how easy is is to recreate any of the images in question using contemporary equipment

just for the record I not believe in ghosts

Very easy is the answer. A number of old cameras had a shutter which opened whenever you pressed it - no need to wind the film on in between each shot so double exposures very easy. Reflections - just shoot at an angle to a piece of glass - very easy. Because of the different position of flash gun to camera (generally speaking) a number of old cameras would give a dark image of a strap whereas a large number of maodern cameras would give a light image - a pillar of light kind of arrangement.

Camera types are incredibly varied so you need to be very specific if you are issuing a challenge of this nature - for example give a particular time frame - photography has a nearly 200 year history and spirit / ghost photography just a little less. Idealy give an example of a photograph that was taken with a known camera and then ask the question. For example (I know it's nnot ghosts but it's the best example I can think of from the top of my head). We know when the Cottingley Fairy photos were taken and we know the type of equipment that was used - can that type of equipment take the photographs that were claimed and can they be taken in the manner that was claimed. The short answer is no - some of the pictures allegedly show fairies flying about relatively fast yet their motnion is completley frozen - not possible with the equipment used. Either different equipment was used or the photos were not taken in the manner claimed. The film was marked before being placed in the (second) camera (unbeknownst to the girls) and the same marked film came back so it seems the claimed equipment was used thererfore the photos were not taken as described.

So before I wander too far from the valid point - the parameters of the challenge need to be carefully defined. Not a criticsim in any way by the way just calrifying it to try to make it a valid test.

Gordon

Er, does that mean you're in or out?

A simple YES or NO answer will do! :D

When I had an old box brownie (10p from a car boot sale!)when I was a youngster I tried to fake a double exposure ghost photo. I'll see if I can dig it out. It could be anywhere though so don't hold your breath.

You can breathe again. I found the photo but it's so poor that I'm too embarrassed to post it.

Ah, you're just building it up too much now.

Don't make me humiliate myself. :(

Delores_de_Syn said:
I'm sure that I read somewhere that the Hampton Court one had been proved to be a fake..can't give any kind of source document for that other than a vague memory.

A few years back it was discovered that the famous Hamptom Court "cold spot" is due to the wall being thinner in that location. There's a "buried" door there, which was centuries ago plastered over, hidden and forgotten

One of my all time favourite ghost photos doesn't appear in the rundown.

Not that ones shown aren't good. Although...
The Mother In Law in the back seat...wasn't that debunked...the photo in the rundown looks different from the one I remember, in that one, a millimetre or two of the white collar Mother In Law was wearing seemed to overlap the window frame to the left of the driver. Anyone else recall that?

The photo I've been looking for, for the last three days, was called The Purple Lady. Can't remember it's exact location other than an abandoned mansion in the States. Two investigators took photos, developed them and an image of a woman in a ethereal purple outfit appeared in the windows looking out in one of them, another showed the figure coalescing. Curse not being able to find it! Has it been posted here before? Anyone know the photo to which I refer? It was quite recent, last ten years.

Yeah I believe the [sarcasm]glorious Ghoststudy[/sarcasm] had that on their site at one time. Wasn't it featured on some TV show as well? I can't recall.

And yeah, I saw the mother-in-law one debunked on a show one time. I'm tired of seeing that one crop up as being worthwhile.

Moooksta said:
Not that ones shown aren't good. Although...
The Mother In Law in the back seat...wasn't that debunked...the photo in the rundown looks different from the one I remember, in that one, a millimetre or two of the white collar Mother In Law was wearing seemed to overlap the window frame to the left of the driver. Anyone else recall that?

Yeah thats pretty much what i said some time ago... :roll:

Back