• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The True Victorian Architectural Style?

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
(Mods, feel free to move if inappropriate place).

Had my Covid jab yesterday which meant I had to wait.

And admire the Victorian architecture. This lot was Neoclassical.

The Victorians revived a lot of old styles, but did they have one of their own?

The only thing I can think of, (off the top of my head) is the Forth Rail Bridge.

What do you think?

This issue was once explained to me like this ... A century or more ago architectural "styles" were mainly categorized with respect to the place and period in which they arose and flourished. In other words, labeling a "style" had more to do with its history (and historical specimens) than any specific features the specimens attributed to the category were considered to share.

Based on this, the person who was explaining the concept said that as of the Victorian era the concept of a Victorian "style" more or less referred to the range of stylistic revivals that occurred during Victoria's reign rather than a single "style" that originated during the period or represented all the diverse revivals' products.

Early Victorian London housing is a tweak on Georgian....you can see the many small residential squares around Islington as examples.

Gibson Square

gs.jpeg

Mid to later Victorian residential houses in nearby Avenell Road.
A clear Victorian style, slightly influenced by the Gothic revival.

avenell.jpeg

Interiors had their own style - crowded!
Perhaps showing their interest in art and science.
And the house as a family home.

Here is a photo from Sambourne House in Kensington, London.

sambourne.jpeg

I bet the Architect of old are turning in there graves looking at the modern spew we have now in most cities.
Passed a billboard today advertising the Sky season 2 of Gangs of London and just looking at the high rises buildings look Dystopia cum Blade Runner...awful.
https://images.app.goo.gl/VcEqYdpG

Last edited:
(Mods, feel free to move if inappropriate place).

Had my Covid jab yesterday which meant I had to wait.

And admire the Victorian architecture. This lot was Neoclassical.

The Victorians revived a lot of old styles, but did they have one of their own?

The only thing I can think of, (off the top of my head) is the Forth Rail Bridge.

What do you think?
The Forth Rail Bridge is pure engineering, and its form comes from it' role, not really a style. I'd suggest 'High Victorian Gothic' which was a sort of Pick'n'Mix of earlier Gothic architectural styles.

St Pancreas,.jpg
University of Manchester.jpg

Back