• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Uncommunicative Editor

A year ago today I emailed David Sutton an essay I had written on lucid dreams and the nature of reality, the fruit of several weeks' sweat and toil and my first ever submission to Fortean Times. My place in philosophical thought was, I believed, assured. Immortal renown lay ahead of me. One day my name would be on every schoolboy's lips. But from Dr Sutton - a deafening silence! And despite repeated reminders and three resubmissions - as a printout, a file on CD and another email attachment - that deafening silence has continued. Over the years I have contributed to various periodicals, but never before have I known an editor to be so uncommunicative. Is this how he treats all would-be contributors or an indication that he does not like my essay? Should I wait another year - or two or three - or begin submitting my essay to other publications?

Incidentally, the day I first submitted my essay I also archived it on my Wikipedia user page. Anybody who is interested may find that archived version here.

In the overworked, underpaid world of the modern editor, prolonged silence means "no."

Three resubmissions is three too many. Rework it and send it elsewhere. Although I would point out that the fact that a version of it is available online makes it much, much less marketable.

As a self-published author I've found a LOT of people in the publishing world are extremely rude or at the very least hard to get a reply from. I'd imagine if you're not getting a reply then it means "no thanks". One retry is enough.

It's not just the publishing world.
A lot of techies routinely ignore emails. It's a bugbear of mine - I regularly email people to request information for my documentation, and I am regularly stonewalled.
Usually, it's because they get swamped with so many emails and tasks, that they can't cope.

Prime examples you quote there, Garrick. Awful!
The worst I've ever heard of is Harlan Ellison and the third volume of 'Dangerous Visions' (given the title of 'The Last Dangerous Visions') which is a collection of short stories. The writers who submitted stories have all been waiting about 40 years, and quite a few have died.
I sometimes think that Ellison may be going for the record.

I think as a good rule of thumb it's better not to send any editor the finished piece. Magazines are very constrained by things that have nothing to do with word counts and more to do with layout, designs and advertising. For example, Forum pieces are 800-1600 words long. They have to be because of where they're placed.

There's also the risk of spending time writing something that is already been covered. Or that is about to be featured. A quick pitch to an editor is easiest for everyone, and because it's how most freelancers pitch, it looks professional. And one nudge is enough. People are busy and silence isn't necessarily rude. A "thanks, but no thanks" or feedback is lovely but not always possible.

I'd go ahead and pitch it around to other people. There's no rule that says you can't use the same research in multiple publications. But you need to rewrite for each market. Another reason why it's safest not to write and submit full length pieces!

There are unfilled vacancies at the FT mag and thats been the case for a long time.

I'm sure the good Dr Sutton has to deal with a lot of crazy communications and due to that some of the worthy ones also remain unanswered.

People could create a profile by submitting letters to the magazine via [email protected]

If you could point to a series of published letters the editor woukd have a better idea of your form.

Why are the vacancies unfilled? Lack of funds or lack of applicants?

I'll 'ave one!

Dearie me, I hadn't heard of that one before. The worst instance that I'm aware of with regard to books is the (horribly ironically-titled, as it turned out) A Confederacy of Dunces, whose struggling author (John Kennedy Toole) killed himself in despair at his lack of success. His faithful mother finally succeeded in badgering a professional into reading it eleven years later and the author eventually got a posthumous Pulitzer for his first (and only) novel. This story ought to be read, re-read, howled down a megaphone and accompanied by a slap round the face on each syllable to anyone who has just been made editor of anything.

And the mother ought to have a statue erected to her memory.

CoD wasn't his only novel, he wrote The Neon Bible too. And if you think CoD's publishing history is bad, read up on the story behind making the (still unmade) film version. Fantastic book, though.

He might not have liked it, but he did write it, so after CoD was a hit you can forgive the family having it published, Toole's whole life story was very poignant.

Anyway, I'm going off topic!

Why are the vacancies unfilled? Lack of funds or lack of applicants?

I'll 'ave one!

Probably because they never tell anybody?
Where are they advertised? Not on the FT website.

Pitching to an editor is like communicating a symphony by humming the theme of the finale. Unless you've got a knock-em-flat idea that can be conveyed in all its dimensions in one sentence, it simply doesn't work 99 per cent of the time. Also, while I agree with you on the "write-to-length" issue, isn't it an editor's job to, you know, at least think about how to make pieces fit the page? So, if they don't read and/or respond to >80 per cent of submissions, and they don't play any part in page layout or lengthening/shortening articles, can someone tell me what it is that editors actually do then?

I've been on both sides of the fence as an editor and submitter.

Hearing nothing back is most frustrating, a simple 'No thanks' will suffice and I am always half suspecting to see an idea I have suggested appearing a few months later under a staff writers byline.

On the editor's side, and I am not suggesting this of anyone here, sometimes the writer's opinion of their own merits does not match the reality. While they may think they are sending delightful prose that will surely blow the mind of any mortal who may have the fortune to read it, quite often what you receive is poorly constructed, not spell-checked and either so long it would need about an eight-page spread to fit or so brief that it would only be of use as a sidebar to a bigger piece.

As a rule of thumb, I'd only ever submit a one paragraph overview of an article to an editor. If that catches his/her eye they will give you a word count and a deadline. It would be an extreme example where I would receive a fully-written piece that can go straight into a magazine.

Timing is also important. A good magazine typically has its contents planned out at least two issues in advance. If you were to send an article today about an issue or topic that was relevant now it might well be that the magazine has no space to fit the piece in until several months later, by which time it is out of date. Unless it is an amazing piece few editors would be likely to rearrange their plans to cater for an unsolicited freelance piece.

I can only speak for myself for what an editor does, I read some well-known publications with myriad staff and wonder myself what exactly the editor does. I was particularly delighted to see the back of one editor recently whose 'Editorial' each month basically seemed to be 'blah blah blah, I met this celebrity, blah blah blah, guess where I have been jetting off to, blah blah, blah, ME, ME, ME, blah, blah, blah, oh by the way we have an article about this'.

For me though, we had the magazine owner above me and I had two assistants and a designer and that was it. So in a typical month I'd have to brainstorm ideas, plan the contents and layout of the magazine, have this plan approved by the owner, contact all the freelancers, arrange deadlines with them, source all the pictures for the magazine, write my own articles, write articles for and maintain the magazine website, chase up competition winners for their addresses and arrange delivery of their prizes, chase freelancers up for their copy after they had missed their deadlines, sub and edit down freelancers copy - particularly hard with the ones who you would send a style-guide to every month and who would consistently refuse to adhere to it but were on a retainer so you couldn't not use them, send subbed copy and images to the designer, liaise with the advertisers to get their new artwork, sub down the copy in the designed pages to make it fit, chase the advertisers again, validate the finished pages with the editor, argue back and forth with the owner and designer over the cover layout, send all finished pages to the publishers, react to the publishers demands to change everything on the cover at the last minute, sub the copy that has finally come in at the last minute way after deadline, proof read all the final PDFs again, send the final PDFs to the printers, add in the time sensitive copy that absolutely cannot go in until the Monday morning we went to print, call the advertisers again for artwork to fill the blank advertising page that has to print in literally two hours time, call the advertisers again, call the advertising contact every name under the sun, discover that some breaking news completely changes the context of your cover story so frantically rework it, finally get your last advert page, send the final PDF to the printers, sit around for a few hours until the printer confirms all pages are OK, have a five minute break and then return to the start of the cycle...

So, I can quite well understand why some editors will prefer to just use the same tried and trusted freelancers rather than follow up speculative submissions. You just want whatever will make your month the easiest!

So, I can quite well understand why some editors will prefer to just use the same tried and trusted freelancers rather than follow up speculative submissions. You just want whatever will make your month the easiest!

For me the frustration has always been getting to "trusted freelancer stage", I've managed it a few times though. Use me and I'm reliable, prompt, can spell and grammar check, know my stuff. But, the market is saturated with freelancers at the moment. I'm practically on my knees in gratitude when a normally closed shop opens up for me!

There's another trend starting it seems. Only using academics where possible. History Today always had that policy and BBC History is now doing the same. The stated reason is wanting it to be only recognised experts in their field. I'm sure that's true. But I think it may also be because academics will often take a lower fee than NUJ rates. They have "proper" jobs and it's nice for them to raise their profile for their research.

Not really a vacancy is it? More an ex-post.

I fear that is the case unless there is a major upturn in FTs fortunes.

As a recovering Trotskyist I suggest you go and sell FT every morning outside local train stations. We all have a role to playing in bringing about the paradigm shift necessary to create a New, more Fortean friendly Earth.

Last edited:
Glad to see the FTMB is back and apparently running well - thanks to everyone who helped achieve that!

Now I'm finally back on the FTMB (thanks Stu) I will pop back in to respond to some of the queries here and clarify the situation; not tonight though as I'm absolutely knackered after putting FT323 to bed.

What do editors do? Work 13-hour days and still fail to answer all their emails!

That's some debate my posting sparked off! Many thanks for the suggestions, by the way.

I ought to mention that David Sutton and Paul Sieveking have agreed that my submission would be a better fit for the correspondence pages, where it should appear in due course.

Last edited:
Back