• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"The Unexplained" Magazine

Kondoru

Beloved of Ra
Got bound copy from car boot for £4.50

Should it have 12 volumes?

I havent checked it as yet.

Kondoru said:
Got bound copy from car boot for £4.50

Should it have 12 volumes?

I havent checked it as yet.

Should be 13. There was a re-release which had fewer pages but I'm not sure how many volumes that was. What is your last page number and what is on it and I'll compare it with my set.

Gordon

Ahem.

12 volumes, 12 issues in each volume except volume 12 which has 13 issues, including the last one which was the index.

Yup, as Stormkhan said.

Looks like somebody really wanted that Index! Actually it is a bit crap. Time after time it proves useless when I'm trying to locate something I know is in there.

Without the Index, it is even more of a brantub. It was my bedside reading for weeks after I found a complete set. Thought I'd done quite well getting mine for ten or fifteen quid, forget which. I guess, like all part-works the early volumes are common and the print-runs reduce as the series nears the end. Still one of the main sources for lots of stories we keep revisiting on here. :)

1983 date of printing

2880 pages

no index

Im not missing anything but the index, eh?

As I said earlier it came out in at least 2 versions - one may have been a twelve volume set but I have a 13 volume set with 3120 pages. And each volume has 12 issues, and that page count excludes the index which was a separate issue and has 31 pages, I also have a separate index whihc appears to be for an 8 volume version., so it seems there may be three versions around.

page 2880 is the end of my volume 12 and it ends with "The Ghost with wet boots". Volume 13 then starts with an article on the ubiquity of the labyrinth, hypnotic regression, men in black, Angels of Mons, Croglin Grange, animal intelligence, the Schneiders, Raymond Lodge, and lots more. The final article in the final volume is on alternative medicine which is then followed by the index. The index has a copyright date of 1983.

Gordon

It was published in 1983?

Wowser. The Unexplained was the magazine that got me into all this Fortean malarkey in the first place.

So I would have been about 9 years old when I first started reading about ghosties, ghouls, UFOs and Bigfoot.

Which, some would say, probably explains a lot.

:) :D

It was first published in the early 70s. My dad collected it. I read it from cover to cover, over and over again. 8)

Must have been one of the reprints then.

I wasn't that early a developer, as far as I know!

escargot1 said:
It was first published in the early 70s. My dad collected it. I read it from cover to cover, over and over again. 8)

The Unexplained first came out in the early '80's - the 1983 edition is the first.

From Lynn Picknett's home page

Lynn, originally from the city of York, was a journalist, editor of books and several major partworks (she was deputy editor of the seminal 1980s publication The Unexplained), broadcaster and television presenter.
http://www.picknettprince.com/about.htm

Gordon

A time travelling magazine? It's another mystery...

No, its a great find, and one that will supply a great read, and lots of things to discuss here

I got a load of these on Black Cat when they were released in themed collections of articles...

IIRC, as a kid I had The Alien World, Creatures From elsewhere, The UFO Casebook, The Alien World, When The Impossible Happens and Appearances and disappearances... probably my first introduction to the Fortean!

Must dig them out at my parent's place at Christmas!

I got a load of these on Black Cat when they were released in themed collections of articles...

IIRC, as a kid I had [...] Creatures From elsewhere [...] probably my first introduction to the Fortean!

Has anybody got a copy of this one?

The format looks very much like those 'Mysteries' publications of the 70s and 80s that I enjoyed.

Just curious.

Creatures From Elsewhere: Weird Animals That No-one Can Explain: Various Authors (Orbis Publishing, 1984), 95pp.

Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 00.16.50.png Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 00.17.04.png Screen Shot 2018-09-19 at 00.17.20.png

Has anybody got a copy of this one?

The format looks very much like those 'Mysteries' publications of the 70s and 80s that I enjoyed.

Just curious.

Creatures From Elsewhere: Weird Animals That No-one Can Explain: Various Authors (Orbis Publishing, 1984), 95pp.
Yes, I have a copy. I thought it looked familiar and must be a book I owned years ago but I've just spotted it on a shelf upstairs. Slightly different cover -

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.40.51jpg.jpg

Reprinted stories from Unexplained magazine, contents -
Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.42.22jpg.jpg

And some truly laughable illustrations

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.54.44jpg.jpg

But interesting enough to dip into if you have a spare twenty minutes or so.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.41.06jpg.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.41.20jpg.jpg Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 13.41.35jpg.jpg

Very interesting, thank you.

Anything by Janet and Colin Bord is worth a read, but the surprise there is an article by Paul Begg on Mermaids?! He's an eminent ripperologist and I had no idea that he had also published on folkloric subjects.

Anything by Janet and Colin Bord is worth a read, but the surprise there is an article by Paul Begg on Mermaids?! He's an eminent ripperologist and I had no idea that he had also published on folkloric subjects.

Begg also wrote the classic Fortean work Into Thin Air, which fascinated me as a kid. All about mysterious disappearances.

Begg also wrote the classic Fortean work Into Thin Air, which fascinated me as a kid. All about mysterious disappearances.

Book or article?

Book or article?

Book, I got a second hand copy a few years ago to see if it held up. It does, it's a great read, though some of the cases have been solved since publication, of course.

As I now have a copy, I'll share the article.

Attachments

• Paul Begg On Merfolk.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
I had these as a teenager, amazing stuff.

If you would particularly like to read an article from this book, consult the Contents Page that Dave Plankton posted and let me know which; I can easily upload it.

If you would particularly like to read an article from this book, consult the Contents Page that Dave Plankton posted and let me know which; I can easily upload it.
Sure, that's kind of you and I'll bear it in mind. I'm now wondering where those copies have got to, I must have them somewhere...

Back