• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Victorian Railway Disaster

corpsechaser

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was reading this story a few nights ago does anyone know if this story is true and what did The Norwood Historical society and The London underground railway society uncover ?

The Victorian railway disaster

Nineteen year old Pamela Goodsell’s eyes nearly left their sockets when she saw what the light of a match revealed.
An old train with the remains of passengers now skeletal lying in some disarray on the mouldering floor of the carriage. The train had been sealed up in an underground tunnel, but why?
Other remains of humans were lying all over the train the unfortunate passengers were noticed to be wearing Victorian style clothing , some men sported top hats. The teenager had fallen down a 20ft shaft while walking through the park near the site of old Crystal Palace in south east London.
Pamela was horrified by her discovery yet of course very puzzled that the local authorities hadn’t exhumed the remains and thus brought to light the fact of the mystery. Yet the mystery there was because she made enquiries about her find no one wanted to know. ”Completely preposterous “said London transport .And they went on to say “there’s no record of a subway train crash in the area.” However that statement is certainly open to question.
The London transport spokesman went on to say “we just don’t lose trains and passengers like that, not even in Victorian times”.
Miss Godsell , who said she had found the remains in 1978 could not find the shaft , however , when she went back to the park . But she remains quite unshakeable in her account of the horrific experience and it seems that nearly all sydenham knows that there is an abandoned underground train under the park somewhere, possibly the result of an experiment that went badly wrong, so it would appear that the story isn’t all moonshine!
Legend has it that the train was shunted into a tunnel around 1870 and was never seen again or perhaps it was conveniently forgotten by the authorities who got the experiment badly wrong preferring to bury their mistake for ever. One excuse put forward is that the relevant documents appertaining to the mystery were lost during the last war.
However experts have been successful in tracing the mystery back to an experimental train design by an engineer named T.W Rammell which once ran for 600yards on a line between Sydenham gate and Penge. Compressed air was pumped into the tunnel which had air tight doors and the train careered along at about 35mph no record of any accident had been recorded the experiment was soon discarded and no other prototype constructed the train was evidently sealed up in its tunnel and forgotten about by the outside world.
Now members of the London underground railway society I’m told are showing a healthy interest and I understand that they feel that they are near break though to crack this mystery for once and for all.
The Norwood Historical society also are interested and have combined with the former society to effect a solution . Then the two societies have obtained permission to sink boreholes in the park to identify the site of the tunnel special electronic tests have been made and are now being evaluated.
The chairman of the Norwood Historical society has gone on record saying that they are about to use more sophisticated electronic equipment and dig along the line of the old underground track.
The searchers are hoping to uncover the whole train intact and the outside world will be very interested to see what finds are evident .The people around the area cannot explain the occasional rumblings that are heard at different times of the year are they connected with this dreadful accident.

The first, and most obvious question would be: was there actually a sudden and mysterious disappearance of a number of people, simultaneously, in London, sometime in the mid 19th Century?

Is there a train wreck of that kind on record?

Secondly, how soon after falling into the shaft did Ms Godsell try to find it again? The next day? A month or two later? Who did she tell?

IIRC, there was a prototype compressed-air-powered subway train, but they couldn't get the seals right, nor sustain the kind of pressure required over a long distance to make it viable. I doubt they'd have let a 600 yard tunnel go to waste though - that would have cost a lot of cash to construct. Mor elikely it would have been incorporated into the network.

I must say, all this has overtones of Quatermass and the Pit, Death Line... also the UL that a blitzed Underground station was sealed up with all the bodies within. Think there's a thread on that somewhere.

The whole thing sounds more than a little fishy, TBH. Good luck to them though :).

theyithian said:
stuneville said:
Death Line...

Remind me?
Death Line, with Donald Pleasance.

At the turn of the century, a group of diggers were lost during a cave-in of part of the London Underground tube-train network. They managed to live for a lifetime trapped in a crevice, but now there is only one family left. The half-human father heads to the Underground station to pick off lone passengers for food, while a London police detective investigates the mysterious disappearances.

Hmm, name rang bells but i've not seen that film.

Apologies for derailling the thread...

Oh :D!

corpsechaser, have you got a link for the piece you quoted, or is it copied long-hand?

There's a bit here about the Crystal Palace Atomospheric Railway.

What's left of the tunnel is probably derelict as there aren't any underground lines in Syndenham,and the thing only ran from one side of the park to the other anyway.

I think the first and most obvious question is 'how did she get back out of tunnel'? She could hardly climb back up a 20ft shaft.

What's the source for the original story?

Cheers,
d1n0

Belshazzar said:
"I think the first and most obvious question is 'how did she get back out of tunnel'? She could hardly climb back up a 20ft shaft."

While I am not especially impressed with the veracity of this tale, getting back up the shaft strikes me as perhaps the least of the story's problems. If this was a smooth-bore shaft without any hand- holds there would indeed be a problem. But if not, I would assume that the girl simply climbed out. Getting away from all those corpses would likely have been impetus enough for a healthy teenager.

It reminds me of the old Kentucky story of the drunk who staggers through the cemetery at night on the way home from the saloon and falls into a newly-dug grave. After time and again unsuccessfully attempting to climb out he decides to sit down in the excavation and wait until help arrives in the morning.

Along comes a second drunk and falls in the other end of the grave. He also struggles and struggles to get out.

"It's no use," he hears a voice speak from the darkness, "You'll never get out of here."

BUT THAT SECOND DRUNK DID!

I've done a bit of digging (pardon the pun), and even the Norwood Historical Society doesn't seem to exist (not in the UK and not on the web anyway). There is however a Norwood Society and they claim in their list of recent achievement to have enabled the:

Re-opening of the subway to the Crystal Palace Grounds
No news of dead victorians though.

http://www.norwoodsociety.co.uk/

I suspect, like everyone else it seems, that the tale is simply a spooky ghost story.

Jane.

Question

This thread gives me the opportunity to pose a question I've wanted an answer to for decades, without being terribly off-topic:

Why was the Crystal Palace never rebuilt after World War Two?

It was such a well-known tourist spot that many Americans of the 1940s and 1950s assumed that it would be rebuilt.

It burnt down in 1936 - IIRC, there were plans to rebuild it but then WWII intervened, and it was thought that no-one could justify public investment in such a building when so many homes and workplaces had been destroyed in the mean-time.

Back