• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Victorians Lit Farts To See At Night?

I'm thinking about registering the Mrs as a PLC .. her farts could save the third world. And she agrees with this post.

I'm thinking about registering the Mrs as a PLC .. her farts could save the third world. And she agrees with this post.
So your Mrs is single-handedly responsible for global climate change?

So your Mrs is single-handedly responsible for global climate change?
She's a hero of mine fart wise .. even our ex cat (R.I.P.) used to bound up the stairs, only cued in to the fact she was now awake because of her waking fart.

R.I.P. Beetlejuice ..

.. even more impressive, they never smell .. how do women do that?

There are I think still 1 or 2 in Sheffield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewer_gas_destructor_lamp

The streets round Bury sewage works were at one time lit by gas generated by the heating of sewage,
the gas also ran two massive engines that powered the works, last time I saw them was about
40 years back but they could still be there, never saw them run though.

She's a hero of mine fart wise .. even our ex cat (R.I.P.) used to bound up the stairs, only cued in to the fact she was now awake because of her waking fart.

R.I.P. Beetlejuice ..

.. even more impressive, they never smell .. how do women do that?
Charcoal-impregnated underwear.

From the always-wonderful Atlas Obscura...

Carting Lane Sewer Lamp
The pretty iron lamp is a reminder of the architecture underneath London's streets.

Just off one of London’s bustling streets, there’s a special streetlight that signposts the warren of waste pipes winding beneath the city.

By the end of the 19th century, London was trying to shed its reputation as a stinky cesspool. For years, locals had slogged through streets strewn with human waste. Now, it had an expansive sewer network that shuttled these excretions around. Trouble was, that matrix was smelly, too—and full of gas. Engineers proposed various ideas for ventilating the sewers, and one of those schemes included lamps that would burn off the gases from the underground world while illuminating the streets above....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/carting-lane-sewer-gas-lamp

From the always-wonderful Atlas Obscura...

Carting Lane Sewer Lamp
The pretty iron lamp is a reminder of the architecture underneath London's streets.

Just off one of London’s bustling streets, there’s a special streetlight that signposts the warren of waste pipes winding beneath the city.

By the end of the 19th century, London was trying to shed its reputation as a stinky cesspool. For years, locals had slogged through streets strewn with human waste. Now, it had an expansive sewer network that shuttled these excretions around. Trouble was, that matrix was smelly, too—and full of gas. Engineers proposed various ideas for ventilating the sewers, and one of those schemes included lamps that would burn off the gases from the underground world while illuminating the streets above....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/carting-lane-sewer-gas-lamp

I saw a display about this at a college of art, possibly in Wrexham. We were supposed to be examining students' degree work but I was distracted!

Back