• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Village and King Arthur Trailers

I'm looking forward to King Arthur. It was filmed in Ireland and a lot of guys I know got jobs as extras in it.

The true story behind the legend, eh? I guess we'll see about that...

The Village trailer looks great. Is the King Arthur movie the one that Jerry Bruckheimer's producing?

:cool:

Not exactly spoilers, but could lead to them - be warned

I just got back from seeing M. Night Shyamalin's *The Village,* and I haven't been this scared and off-balance at a mere movie since *The Blair Witch.* This is in spite of my getting a notion, fairly early on, that the plot was going to parallel a YA novel, Margaret Haddix's *Running Out of Time.* Every time I had a handle on what was happening I got faked out. Haddix and Shyamalin should collaborate - they'd kick ass.

You can tell Shyamalin's never lived on a farm, or even near the woods, but nothing's perfect.

For the record, I guessed the surprise ending of *The Sixth Sense* ten minutes into it. *Unbreakable* blindsided me - I realized what was going on about five seconds before it was revealed. I didn't go see *Signs* because I couldn't get excited from the previews.

I've read every one of Haddix's books. She's good. Paranoid, but good. Reading one of her books is exactly like having one of those fantasies you used to have when you were about 14 and started thinking about what you'd do if Everything You Knew Was Wrong and the Grownups Were All Lying, or if THEY took over, or whatever your personal adolescent paranoid fantasy was about.

Emoire gave Arthur 2 stars, which isn't very promising, but I'm going to see it because the bloke that played Hornblower is Lancelot, and of course the lovely Keira. Th Village is supposed to be very good, seeing them both at some point this week hopefully.

The Village got horrendous reviews here but I still want to see it. I actually enjoyed Signs (most people I know seem to have hated it).

Sertile said:
The true story behind the legend, eh? I guess we'll see about that...

If it did, and more importantly expanded on the article in Fortean Times, I'd go and see it ;)

Regarding The Village my friend in California went to see it the other day, he said it was good (and scary). So I got him to tell me what happened, which will take away much of the mystery if I go and see it ;) We saw Signs before he moved over there in the cinema, and both thought it was pretty silly. I quite liked The Sixth Sense, but I didn't really like Unbreakable much.

'The Village'

I went in not knowing 'the twist' and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this film. Great performances all around, especially by Bryce Dallas Howard(Ron's(Opie!) daughter), who I expect big things from. The cinematography was excellent in this film and the night time scenes were so gorgeous they looked like paintings. Recommended.

Re: 'The Village'

lennynero said:
The cinematography was excellent in this film and the night time scenes were so gorgeous they looked like paintings.

That's one of the reasons I love Sleepy Hollow by Tim Burton, the sets all look like intricate models/paintings and I like the general atmosphere of the whole film :)

"Horrendous" reviews strike me as odd thing for The Village to get anywhere, as a trend, though I can predict the sort of negative review it will garner most of the time. A certain class of viewer, which I believe is over-represented among newspaper reviewers, will feel cheated by the pay-off and/or be unable/unwilling to extract the deeper subtext. Members of gated communities may feel personally criticized. Shymalin's pacing is always glacial, and one of the things that keeps you off-balance is that there isn't a protagonist per se, in the sense of a single person who is the primary viewpoint character.

But the bottom line is, when you're watching it, you're likely to be scared witless much of the time, and what more can you ask of a suspense movie? I spent all last night (insomnia, probably more based on the weather than anything else) afraid to roll over because I needed my back against the bed. Monsters can't get you if your back's against the bed. And this in spite of the twists, which the kind of viewer who felt cheated would probably think deprived "those we don't speak of" of their threat.

What you get out of a movie depends partly on what you bring to it. I think Sixth Sense is Shymalin's most popular movie, the one everyone thinks works, because it is the least original. Its twists are ones we can all accept, its premises are based on traditions we're all comfortable with. *Unbreakable* worked for my husband and me, but doesn't for a lot of people, because we are comic book readers and because we could accept cetain aspects of the plot that other people reject. I didn't go to see Signs because it didn't interest me, and it didn't interest me (I think) because I think that extraterrestrial contact, in the real world, would be a paradigm-busting epic-making event that changed every aspect of everyday life, and any movie involving extraterrestrial contact had better make that assumption, too, or I probably will feel cheated by the ending. (This was the problem with Contact. The set-up was so good, it couldn't possibly be paid off.)

*The Village* works for me as a scary movie and also as part of a literary/film/real life tradition of the isolationist "utopian" community. Other examples (real life and media) include the aforementioned *Running Out of Time,* Brook Farm, 1960s communes, contemporary gated and planned communities, Brigadoon, Shangri-La, Pleasantville, and Lois Lowry's *The Giver* and *Gathering Blue.* The literary examples often contain deeply disturbing comments on the concept with uncomfortable implications for attempts to realize this ideal. In most of these cases - including *The Village* - the community exists in a metaphorical space reflecting an idealized imagery that is easy to pick apart if your preferred literary mode is realism and/or if the metaphorical depths make you so uncomfortable you don't want to peer into them. It's easier to nitpick about where they got the kerosene for their lamps and where their fields were located than it is to ask yourself about the cost of isolation or the fear that we take with us when we run away.

Seeing the trailer for The Village, I can´t help thinking of the Bone comics. I wonder if those creatures in the woods turn out to be rat creatures.

Peni, would you consider "the Wicker Man" as part of this class?

Peni, this is a typical review (from canada.com):

The Village: No magic in this trick film
Adam Sternbergh
National Post

Friday, July 30, 2004

Like martinis and Chubby Checkers, M. Night Shyamalan films are known for coming with twists. But unlike martinis (I can't speak for Mr. Checkers), Shyamalan's films don't come in any other variety. His movies don't just deliver surprise endings, they are delivered by them. Every element of the film's first 117 minutes or so is recast, and justified, by the surprises in the final three.

After four such movies -- the latest being The Village, the story of a 19th-century town terrified by beasties in the woods -- Shyamalan has built a brand around this signature technique. He should think about rebranding. The Village delivers a twist, all right -- it just fails to deliver a movie.

rest of the review

wow

I hate to piss on everyone's parade but I went to see The Village on Saturday night, and hated it! Absolutely hated it. I haven't disliked a movie as much in a while, and really like movies like this.

I admit that Ron Howard's daughter acted very well, as did Phoenix, but Adrian Brodey was abominable . . . I didn't know people still played retarded people like this.

I will admit that the first time the "Creatures" entered the town I was a bit creeped out, but that was it, in a really really long movie. And they reveal the secret of the creatures much too early, and then follow it with a scene that is supposed to still scare you. That's just bad storytelling. And - I had guessed the "secret" of the creatures before even seeing the movie (but still went in hoping that the real secret couldn't be so obvious - it was) which doesn't say much for it.

And I'll just say that the ending (which I almost didn't stay for, and I never walk out on movies in the theatre) didn't make it any better.

Didn't find any subtext, hidden or otherwise (and isn't ALL subtext hidden?) just a movie maker who had an interesting idea for an episode of the Twilight Zone, and padded it out by about another hour and a half, making all the actors whisper so it seems important.

I feel like asking Shyamalan for my money back.

-Fitz

C'mon! I can't be the only one who wasted my 14 bucks this weekend on this movie . . . didn't anyone else see it?

the village

I saw The Village on opening day and thought it was the best movie I had seen in a very long time. It was far from the Hollywood formula and beautiful to look at. I liken it very much to a science fiction story and tried not to apply to many expectations to it in the manner of "believability" or surprise, as it seemed like more of a fable or fairy tale rather, which we have to use our imaginations to interpret. I very much appreciated and could tell the unified vision of the director, writer and producer, which made it seem more like a story from a book than a blockbuster type thriller.

I feel your pain, Fitz. Hang in there. It's only been open a few days, and the people who are going to hate it should be toddling along in time.

When you say you didn't find any subtext, are you saying that the irony of the parents escaping from one fear by trapping their children inside another fear was too overt for subtext, or do you think it's not there? Because I'm sure both that it's there and that the fact that characters carry on as if it weren't makes it subtext; and it's precisely these differences in what people see when they look at a work that interest me.

That, to me, is simply irony . . . and the movie could have improved if it had -even for a few moments, while Ivy was out of the town- had some sort of philosphical conversation between Mr. Walker and any other adult about whether what they were doing was any better for the children than the real world would be.

But, no, I didn't find any subtext. Irony isn't subtext.

-Fitz

good to see such polarized opinions :)

I really didn't like "Unbreakable" when I went to see it at the cinema. but it's quickly become one of my faves. Also "Signs" wasn't brilliant either to begin with, but now I love it. His films seems to grow on me...

like spores...

Since I am in exactly the sort of mood that leads to grossly overstating my case, responding to statements that no one made, and generally picking fights over what is, in the end, a trivial matter, I won't respond to Fitz at this time.

In the interest of nudging people to go read Haddix, however, I'm posting a link to a Philadelphia Inquirer article. I am *not* the only Haddix reader to have gone this weekend, and the result is rumor and innuendo out the wazoo.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/9321908.htm?1c

Inqlings | She thinks this 'Village' is familiar

By Michael Klein, Inquirer Columnist

Lots of buzz over M. Night Shyamalan's The Village.

Not only because the suspenser, which the Gladwyne auteur shot in Chester County last fall with a cast including Sigourney Weaver and William Hurt, grossed about .8 million in its
opening weekend.

It's the familiarity of the plot.

Author Margaret Peterson Haddix says she has been fielding calls and e-mails from readers who think elements of The Village are strikingly similar to Running Out of Time, her popular 1995 children's novel.

Similar? Without spoiling the film's big surprise, we can say Running Out of Time and The Village are both set in an insular rural town where something major happens that requires medicine. In both projects, the protagonists are tomboys and the adults are keeping a secret - the same secret, say those familiar with the works - from the young people. Haddix's book, aimed at 8-to-12-year-olds, has sold more than a half-million copies, according to Simon & Schuster.

After seeing The Village near her home in central Ohio Tuesday night, Haddix said: "I am not commenting about my opinion of the movie."

Haddix said a film producer optioned Running in 1997. As often happens, the option expired without a movie deal. She said another producer then optioned it with hopes of filming it for the children's cable network Nickelodeon; that option expired in May 2003.

At that point, Shyamalan's project, then called The Woods, was gearing up.

Web postings noting the similarities began to show up on sites including Amazon.com and LiteraryPlanet.com as soon as the film was released. The author is now referring reporters' questions to Evva Pryor, her movie agent, who did not return an e-mail for comment.

Simon & Schuster spokeswoman Tracy van Straaten had no comment, but thought it would be "terrific if it inspired more people to read Margaret's books."

Reps for Shyamalan did not return calls to his office and his publicist.

Meanwhile, Shyamalan is still embroiled in a lawsuit over his 2002 movie Signs, which Bucks County screenwriter Robert McIlhinney says is based on his script Lord of the Barrens: The Jersey Devil.

My own take on this (having just re-read the book) is that sufficient similarities exist to call Haddix an influence, but that sufficient differences exist - in themes, details, and atmosphere - that a plagiarism suit would be a waste of time. van Straaten's remark is exactly the sort of thing that publishers always say, in lieu of doing anything to actively promote an author's work.

Dang, there's that mood creeping in. I'd better get offline altogether. TTFN.

Well, thank goodness a quick visit to the spoilers site has saved me from having to worry about what 'The Village' is all about. :)

Peni said:
Since I am in exactly the sort of mood that leads to grossly overstating my case, responding to statements that no one made, and generally picking fights over what is, in the end, a trivial matter, I won't respond to Fitz at this time.

Does Monday afternoon around 4:30 suit you?

-Fitz

VandalSavage said:
Thought "Signs" was quite eerie and suspenseful, up until the alien showed up in the living room. ...And note to next invading horde: if you're allergic to water, don't pick a planet that's 75% such.

--or if you really can't resist invading it , at least put some clothes on. Walking around in the nude is just asking for trouble!

(And further advice to the next invading horde: always download the latest security patches from Windows Update just in case Jeff Goldblum shows up on your mothership clutching a laptop and tries to compromise your network. And to be on the safe side, never open email attachments from people you don't know. Especially if they're from Jeff Goldblum)

Just when everyone was hoping I'd forgotten about it

This may be incautious of me, since I haven't had dinner yet, but I've been turning and turning this over and want to be done with it. I have a bit at the end tying criticism into Fortean experience, if anyone gets bored and wants to page ahead.

Anyway, I believe Fitz has made an error of fact when he says that the adults don't talk about whether moving to the village was a good thing for the children. Almost the first thing we hear Ivy's father say is "It's times like this that make us wonder whether we did the right thing in settling here," or words to that effect. He and the other elders* talk about whether or not to come clean almost the whole time Ivy's gone - but they talk about it obliquely, and take out their little boxes to remind themselves of why they came, and in the end declare that Noah has "made their stories real" and vote not to end the deception. They *don't* talk about it properly (which makes it subtext by definition), but it would have been out of character for them to do so. These are people who simultaneously run away from their fears and keep them in little boxes in the living room. An open, frank discussion of their folly and its consequences is beyond them. They have already paid so much for their refuge that they can't bring themselves to admit that they *were* wrong in settling there and the experiment has failed; and therefore, like all cowards, must keep on paying long after a brave person would be free and clear.

* (I wrote "adults," first, and though this is technically untrue, all their offspring, even Lucius and Ivy, remain dependent and infantalized long after they should have grown up.)

Also, knowing the truth about The Ones We Don't Talk About didn't make that scene any less scary for me. Considering what we know about them at that point, Ivy's being attacked by one is a *worse* prospect - think about it! I was also prepared for a cinematic trick, learning that the entire walk through the woods has been a rendition of Ivy's blind perception of her surroundings and she has encountered a bear - which, thanks to the ignorance her elders left her in, she has no choice but to visualize as a familiar monster.

Fitz is quite right about the depiction of Noah, though (I'm sure you're so relieved to hear it :rolleyes: ) and I wonder whether, in this character and in Elijah/Mr. Glass in Unbreakable, Shyamalin is expressing a distaste for the drastically different, possibly one that he is not aware of himself - or that he keeps in a box in the living room and never looks at.

Anyway, I don't expect to convince Fitz or anyone else who didn't like it of the movie's merits. One thing I've noticed is that, if you didn't enjoy a work, finding meaning in it is very difficult indeed; whereas, if I let myself dwell on works I enjoy (even Good Crud), meaning starts popping up like rain lilies after a thunderstorm. I am fond of saying that we make our own meaning when we encounter a work, and have been troubled for a long time about the extent to which it is possible to say anything truly relevant to the actual work. I think that, when we watched The Village, I had a good experience and Fitz had a bad one, and everything we have to say about the movie is post hoc justification of our reaction.

This would explain why so much of what people who disagree with us say about a text sounds so nonsensical. Even when people are discussing books with the text in front of them to reference, they can say things which sound as though they never looked inside it. This gets worse when you can't check your source. I believe Fitz has made an error of fact; but it's just as likely, in the greater scheme of things, that I have exagerrated or misread scenes as it is that he has forgotten them or minimized them into insignificance.

This does not make the discussion pointless - or need not, unless we let it. The process of analysis can only tell us so much about what the author thought - but it can teach us a great deal about what *we* think ourselves.

And here we come to the relationship between Fortean phenomena and literary criticism, which I hope a few of you at least don't consider completely ivory towerish. The thing is, we structure our lives on narrative models - especially in a forum like this one, with its emphasis on, first, sharing experience in story form (whether newspaper quote or IHtM) and afterward, analzying it, adding new stories to it, and analyzing the new narrative created by the addition of new experiences. The experience is what it is. It happens, without regard to narrative conventions, our previous experience, our belief systems, or our needs. Our job is to incorporate or reject the story; which is a text analysis job.

I could talk at great length, working out what I think/feel about that, but anybody here who wants to can easily prompt me to come back and do so, by picking up the conversation at that point. I'll leave y'all to think about that, if you care to, and extract any useful matter it may contain; or to blow it off as academic posturing, if that suits you better.

And I would be really, really interested in seeing what a viewer of *The Village* who hadn't previously read *Running Out of Time* thinks of the book, when reading it afterward.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, I went to see King Arthur, and it was great fun, lots of nice horses and battle scenes, Arthur is top totty, good summer movie. Kiera Knightly needn't have bothered wearing that leather strap boob-tube thing, as she has the t*ts of a ten year old boy. Oh, and she "acts" just by looking all big-eyed and letting her mouth hang open a lot.

Sorry this has not been a dead intellectual review. But it's not a dead intellectual film.

Another damning review in the garudian:

The Village

Cert 12A

Peter Bradshaw
Friday August 20, 2004
The Guardian

Wear not the bad colour - for it angers them! Do not go into the woods - for that is where they live! Reveal not the surprise ending - for it is completely rubbish!

This absurd and badly plotted thriller from director M Night Shyamalan has sent his reputation south like dotcom stock, leaving those of us who invested massively after his breakthrough movies The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable with a barrowload of worthless shares on our hands. Shyamalan had such a sensational impact with those two sinuous, elegant movies, becoming the Chubby Checker of Hollywood, the king of the twist, and cut an auteurist dash by writing, producing, directing and making a sly, Hitchcockian cameo in each. (Perhaps only Alejandro Amenábar or Robert Rodriguez do more, by actually composing the music.) Then came the disappointing Signs, his film about - ooo-er! - corn circles, probably the least scary subject in the world.

The rest is here but it contains potential spoilers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayreview/story/0,,1286329,00.html

While I have disagreed with Bradshaw;s reviews in the past (esp. about LotR) I think I'm going to give The Village a miss and pos. catch it if its on TV.

I finally got to see this movie last Friday, and I have mixed feelings about it.

As a cinematic experience I enjoyed 90% of the movie, but I did feel the ending was too abrupt, and was also left confused by the director's cameo - what was this character's part in the movie? He certainly dispensed a large volume of information - but what prompted it and what was his involvement with the group?

Simply awful

I've just got back from seeing this film. I've just made my girlfriend watch "Sixth Sense" because I love it so much, and I really, really wanted to like this film; the trailer looked great.

I was terribly disappointed. The film drags along and I checked my watch several times, waiting for something to happen. You never warm enough to the character of Lucius to really care what happens to him; he has nothing likeable in him. In fact he comes across as a boring, humourless old fart. While everyone was throwing up their hands and bewailing the fact that he might die, I was wishing he'd pop his clogs and give us all a break.

Neither did I care much about what happened to the girl. Will someone please tell the actress that blind people simply don't move like that? She can't make her mind up whether she wants to creep along with her arms outstretched, feeling blindly, or thunder along whacking the road with her stick. Abysmal.

Sigourney Weaver is completely wasted and William Hurt's character is just annoying. The twist was pretty good, but came along far too late to wake up my interest, which had already left the theatre and was sitting in bar, having a Guinness and waiting for me to be finished.

Back