• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Weirdness Of 1973

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
I'm currently writing a new book called 'The Highest Strangeness'. During my research i found the 1973 had an abnormal amount of weirdness going down in it including bigfoot / UFO flaps, often in tandem and the case of Sam the Sandown Clown, to name but a few. Ay ideas of why 1973 should be such a high point in strangeness?

Could it have anything to do with the fact that the Vietnam War was coming to an end after many years?
At least, the United States' involvement in it. Which meant many coming home and watching the skies.
I thought of that because WWII ended in 1945, and suddenly in 1947 there was a huge UFO flap.

I'm currently writing a new book called 'The Highest Strangeness'. During my research i found the 1973 had an abnormal amount of weirdness going down in it including bigfoot / UFO flaps, often in tandem and the case of Sam the Sandown Clown, to name but a few. Ay ideas of why 1973 should be such a high point in strangeness?
I don't know if you want to include pop culture references in your 1973 book but The Exorcist was released that year which as I'm sure you know, was far from just 'another horror film' at the time. I worked with an accountant called Janet in '91, she recounted a story she'd been through when her ex took her to see The Exorcist at a cinema in Birmingham (UK) on it's release. The film had shocked the hell out of her, they both left the cinema shaken and the I.R.A. had just detonated a bomb in the pub over the road so they were met with the sight of chaos, people covered in blood, police everywhere etc .. the I.R.A.'s Birmingham pub bombing campaign, 1973.

In the USA the year 1973 was pivotal in a number of disturbing ways, setting the stage for the dark side of the Seventies.

In addition to The Exorcist, the documentary film Manson (notable for its interviews with Manson's followers) was released. This gave mass market exposure to the craziness of Manson and his group. Both the fictional and the factual horrors darkened everyone's mood.

1973 was the year mandatory personal and luggage security screenings went into effect at airports, following years of hijackings occurring almost weekly (on average).

OPEC restricted oil supplies to any nation supporting Israel in the Yom Kippur War (1973). This led to major disruptions, shortages, and economic constraints. There hadn't been such widespread domestic economic and supply problems since the Great Depression and WW2.

The overall economy was already sliding into the state of "stagflation" (stagnant growth; significant inflation) it would maintain through the Seventies. Good jobs were hard to find, and the volatile economic conditions made it difficult to assume one's situation was stable. As of 1973 the last of the Baby Boomers had attained age 18 and joined their older siblings and peers in swelling the number of young adults entering the job market.

The Vietnam "peace accords" were signed and went into effect - essentially pretending there was an acceptable status quo and American forces could reasonably withdraw. On the US domestic scene, this murky finale wasn't well received by both supporters and opponents of the war. The war's cumulative tolls began to be evident and questioned from all sides.

The Watergate (scandal) hearings began. This both polarized the already-polarized population and eroded everyone's basic faith in politicians and politics.

To darken the public's view of government even further, Nixon's outspoken Vice President resigned as the result of a scandal.

This was the time when the tumultuous - but generally optimistic - Sixties era conditions settled down into mundane malaise. This is when the "groove" became a "rut" for many folks.

Don't forget to mention that it was also the same year that I was born lordmongrove. That's probably relevant somehow. I don't mind taking some of the blame.

Maybe “ bell bottom pants “ ?

I can’t believe I wore pants that had pin stripes and had side burns like Elvis.

The world population was only a little over 4 billion, and today we are pushing 9 billion.

Anxiety about oil and a three-day week.

Literally, there were more eyes out there who weren't able to work; more eyes, more witnesses (might be interesting to look for correlation here).

If you want cultural background, try Dominic Sandbrook's books.

Edit: State of Emergency: The Way We Were: Britain, 1970–1974. London: Allen Lane. 2010

I think 'pop culture' certainly was a part of it. The 'wear some flowers in your hair' brigade, while not completely gone, had definitely diminished. Dennis Wheatley's occult novels were doing a roaring trade, the 'Hammer Horror' films were too and 'darker' bands like Black Sabbath had started to pique peoples' interests in the more macabre side of life, or er, death.

'Harder' often adulterated drugs like heroin started to be more prevalent in society, certainly in the cities and amongst the musicians of the day whereas it had previously been mainly marajuana and psychedelics.

The Manson/LaBianca murders and trial were still very fresh in peoples memory and as has been mentioned, three day weeks/strikes/IRA bombings/power cuts etc (in England at least) meant that the country was (literally on occasion) darker than it had been.

The Yom Kippur war, highjackings, the Olympic games in Munich the year before and Vietnam all adding to the general worldwide malaise and therefore a (possible) reason for people to 'look elsewhere' for inspiration and hope.

Oh, and Swifty was hatched born.

The so-called "comet of the century" Kohoutek was first sighted on 7 March 1973. It attained perihelion on 28 December 1973.

"Comets have inspired dread, fear, and awe in many different cultures and societies around the world and throughout time. They have been branded with such titles as "the Harbinger of Doom" and "the Menace of the Universe." They have been regarded both as omens of disaster and messengers of the gods."

Watch out for the fnords!
fnord.gif

Perhaps also….

The moon landings had just ended and it must have felt we would soon be living on other planets and in space stations (eg the tv show ‘Space 1999’ and the iconic ‘2001: A Space Oddessey’). We also hadn’t yet had a decent look at the outer planets (not even the Vikings on Mars) and so I imagine there was still a belief aliens might live within our solar system. I feel there was a sense of anticipation fuelled by a then healthy and active UFO scene. One consequence of this was that perhaps a badly burnt war veteran living as best he could in a hut on the IoW was deemed to be an alien by a certain British UFO organisation despite said individual being firmly rooted to the ground and not ever mentioning outer space….

The autumn 1973 UFO wave in the US was the last great 'flap' and included some still well-known cases: Mansfield, Ohio; Pascagoula, etc. This has sometimes been linked to anxieties over the Middle East and oil prices, though I do think Kohoutek might have contributed too.

There was a wave in France the same year.

As a wave dating from the immediate pre- Close Encounters era, I seem to remember there was a very wide range of weird and wonderful occupants reported - lots of robot type things, monstrous animal-like entities, etc alongside the more usual humanoid 'spacemen'.

This is a good one: Oct 22-23 1973, Hartford City, IN. Three separate observations, over several hours, of two strange, 4-foot bright silver entities with a hose coming out of their faces and "box-like" feet, crossing the road, bouncing up and down in a field, and eventually flying off vertically like a helicopter. Madness.

Screenshot_20220712-134305_Drive.jpg

Edited to add Peter Rogerson's description of the case on INTCAT, which includes a few additional details:

October 22 `1973. 2130hrs.
HARTFORD CITY (INDIANA : USA)

At a point 14.5km east of Hartford City, Mrs Debbie Carne saw a group of creatures cross the road in front of her, then raise their arms, making a loud noise. She thought that they were children playing pranks until she heard of the following, later incidents. About 15 minutes later, Debbie Donathan was driving her husband, DeWane, and baby home, when at the same spot, just one block before their home, they saw what looked like two children dancing in the road. She stopped the car about 10m from them, and saw that they were two creatures, about 1.2m tall, dressed silvery, tight fitting suits. They were slight in build, with very straight bodies and what looked like boxes on their feet. They moved in a strange, slow motion fashion, apparently bouncing off the road with their arms flapping strangely. Debbie panicked and accelerated past them; as she did so the creatures got out of the way in a strange, slow, skipping manner, with their arms moving slowly and flopping. Debbie drove on to an old church a few blocks away. Here DeWane took over the wheel and, arguing that it was children, drove back towards their house. They could see nothing on the road, but could see a row of red lights over a cornfield. Debbie was too frightened to go home, so they returned to her mother’s house in Hartford City, where Debbie was so shaken her family thought they may have to call the doctor. They didn’t do this, but did call the local sheriff. The call was answered by Deputy Edd Townsend, a state policeman who did not wish to be identified, and Garry Flatter-a local gas station owner, and wrecker driver. These three went to the scene, where they could see nothing but heard an unnerving high pitched sound. At about 2355hrs. Flatter and the policeman returned to the area, the officer going east, and Flatter taking a road 1.5km south of the original sighting. While travelling east on this road, Flatter noted the animals were making a mass exodus from the area, and he had to slow down for several rabbits, cats, a possum and a racoon. He then heard the high frequency sound again and, looking round, saw, standing in a field 6m back off from the road and about 23m from his location, two small creatures about 1.2m tall. They wore metallic suits that were so shiny that the reflection almost blinded him when he put his spotlight on them. He was able to see that they had either egg shaped heads or helmets, from which tapered a sort of “garden hose” which went into their lower chest. He could not detect any facial features and their arms seemed to lack hands. He also noted their strange thick boots (7.5 x 5.5cm). They seemed to jump up a metre without any effort, going up and down in slow motion, hardly ever moving their arms. They did this three times then took off in feet down position, flying off into the night. He tried to trace them with his spotlight, but could only see red tracer streaks coming down. Before the creatures took off, Flatter had become very uneasy. They next day Flatter, DeWane Donathan, Townsend and the state policeman returned to the scene where the Donathans had seen the creatures. As they had driven away that night, DeWane had thought he had seen the creatures go into a cornfield, and at a spot 15m back from that place, they found seven imprints, each about 2cm deep at the deepest point, which looked like rather squarish hoofprints. They measured 7.5cm across and were in alternate rows as if something had walked in the area. The field was dry and the men, who weighed an average of 200 pounds, made no imprint themselves.
  • Donald Worley in Official UFO 1,5 p45 and APRO Bulletin 22, 2 p1 citing his own investigation
  • Webb 1976 pp 16, 29 citing Worley and Hartford City News Times 23 October 1973
  • Blum 1974b citing Hartford News Times op cit
  • Fowler 1975 p325
  • Lorenzen 1975 p 221)

Last edited:
This is a good one: Oct 22-23 1973, Hartford City, IN. Three separate observations, over several hours, of two strange, 4-foot bright silver entities with a hose coming out of their faces and "box-like" feet, crossing the road, bouncing up and down in a field, and eventually flying off vertically like a helicopter. Madness.

View attachment 57008

Edited to add Peter Rogerson's description of the case on INTCAT, which includes a few additional details:
Yet a few months earlier two human astronauts had been bouncing about on the moon whilst wearing chunky moon boots, helmets etc and they then later departed vertically in their lunar module…

Last edited:
I was twelve. I wonder if some of the 'atmosphere' of the time (not to say the origin of some of the stories and sightings) was that 'robots' were starting to become more ubiquitous. I'm sure this is about the time that Tomorrow's World were showing us robot servers and at school we were always being shown TV programmes of robots being used in car construction and being told that they would be the future.

Yet a few months earlier two humanoids astronauts had been bouncing about on the moon whilst wearing chunky moon boots, helmets etc and they then later departed vertically in their lunar module…

Indeed, which leads to a couple of observations. These small figures, moving in a way that seems parodic of human astronauts in zero gravity, must surely be poking fun at us somehow. But is the answer:

- Unknown people carrying out a hoax on the witnesses?
- A collusive hoax among some, or all, witnesses?
- Witnesses imposing their own understanding of 'spacemen' onto some unidentified or misperceived stimulus?
- Some 'phenomenon' parodying our own technology?

I suppose the one big difference between human astronauts and these 'entities', height aside, is the shiny silvery appearance. However, the famous Falkville 'spaceman' case, featuring a shiny silver figure, had taken place only a few days earlier, on Oct 17th. Had the photos received wide news circulation?

My gut instinct is a hoax perpetrated on the first two witnesses but somehow involving the final witness, who gave by far the most elaborate story (including animal reactions, etc).

... Oh, and Swifty was hatched born ...

I'll tell you what I was told about that day by my parents Floyd ..

I was born 2:30 pm, May the 17th, 1973 (my Mum wrote that on the back of my birth certificate, my Dad said the pubs had closed for lunch back then so he couldn't celebrate with his mates and he told me I've been a pain in the arse ever since) .. I was born in Good Hope Hospital, Sutton Coldfield that locals had nicknamed 'No Hope Hospital' ..

My Mum had at first refused any gas and air but suddenly changed her mind through the pain and so got high as a kite then got the giggles .. when I was coming out, a nurse spotted I had my umbilical cord wrapped around my neck so told my Mum to stop pushing but she couldn't because she was wasted and I was coming out no matter what so the nurse cut the cord and: " .. and the blood went right up the front of the nurse's skirt and top, through the middle of her glasses and hit the ceiling and you were born! :) ..

Back