• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Worst Song Ever?

The mention of Shatner has me thinking of the awful musical endeavours of other thespians.

Rape, anyone? :eek:

Oh, disliking a type of music is one thing, but fearing is something else. There's lots of scary music out there, but it's hard to imagine being afraid of ABBA...:p

Fearing it is understandable - I fear that every movie I watch might contain an ABBA song or something dreadful from Kylie (it's hard to figure out which is worse!)

The mention of Shatner has me thinking of the awful musical endeavours of other thespians.

Rape, anyone? :eek:

The sheer wrongness of that is at Robin Thicke levels, but his version of Neville Thumbcatch on the same album is pretty good.

Ah, Robin Thicke! Thicke by name...

Reminds me of a Guardian article by Richard Boston (the real ale bloke) about an old Swahili language primer he'd found, written for British farmers and overseers in Africa. There was a list of handy phrases, such as 'Fetch me my whip!' 'Not that whip, the other whip!' and so on.

Maybe Hammerstein and Harbach used something like that when they were researching for the libretto. I read that the character of Shep Keyes was based on The Emperor Jones, which explains why it makes me think of an African dictator.

Last edited:
'why d'you do ?'

Mari Ann Faithful.

Not the worst, but certainly the most unexpected.

Google it and hear for yourself.

INT21

Last edited:
Does anyone else have bad songs get stuck in your head?
I once genuinely woke up from a nightmare where a BROS tune (the 80's band) was looped and getting louder by the second .. true story .. it wasn't this song, it was one when they kept shouting "YOU YOU & YOU" .. this one's still cringe worthy though ..

(old joke time, you can replace this with One Direction or whoever)

What's got a thousand legs and no pubes?

The front row of a BROS concert ..

Last edited:
I once genuinely woke up from a nightmare where a BROS tune (the 80's band) was looped and getting louder by the second .. true story ..
i had a similar experience with we built this city on rock n roll by starship ... in my teens, woke up with the room spinning (sober), chorus looping, nausea inducing ... havent been able to hear the song since

This was so bad that a rumour went round that it was a satire created by the KLF:

Wow. As discussed elsewhere on FTMB, there was a rumour that Daphne and Celeste's pop career was the result of a prank by KLF - or Bill Drummond at any rate.

On a point of pedantry, most sources seem to describe Drummond as 'South African-born Scottish'. Doesn't that make him erm, just South African? Or British?

Don't think there is such a thing as a Scottish passport (yet!)

Last edited:
Putting aside St Winifred's School Choir then this is the worst song I have ever heard made even more memorable by being accompanied by the world's worst video.

Best to listen to it with the sound off and the screen blank just to be on the safe side

Christ on a bike.

If only I'd taken your viewing instructions more seriously :eek:

Are you sure that's not a comedy skit from an Eastern European take on the Fast Show?

In fairness to Reed, that was intentional drival that he tossed off to get out of a contract... long history of it.

There's a strings cover version of MMM which is strangely compelling. Can't remember who did it, so don't know if it's on YT.

In fairness to Reed, that was intentional drival that he tossed off to get out of a contract... long history of it.

Popular myth. Not actually true. Reed was a big fan of the experimental (and incredibly brilliant) composer La Monte Young. Young worked heavily with drone and noise, MMM was Reed's homage and tribute. He took it very seriously. So much so that he performed it live in 2002.

At various points Reed claimed it was a throwaway to annoy the record company. But then pretty much everything Reed said in public was a lie.

I like the album a lot.

Putting aside St Winifred's School Choir then this is the worst song I have ever heard made even more memorable by being accompanied by the world's worst video.

Best to listen to it with the sound off and the screen blank just to be on the safe side

It's so dreadful it's almost entertaining...at least I laughed at it.

There are only two kinds of music , the stuff you like and the stuff you don't (sorry):0)

I wanted to like MMM, but I actually think I exacerbated a minor hearing issue by trying to listen to the whole album in one sitting through headphones. For interesting droney experimental weirdness, I like Fripp/Eno's No Pussyfooting album.

Here's another contender, far removed from Taco's heady hits and deep within his catalog:

Might add 'Electric Ladyland' to the pile.

Hendrix at his worst.

INT21

Last month I twigged that something in Sainsbury's was more than usually annoying. I normally just feel slightly sick at the quacky-queen voice that has to deliver those simpering strap-lines on every audio clip. No - something worse was afoot.

The subliminal effect came into focus. Every aisle and display had been decked out with grotesque images of people "food dancing." The images were tricked out with stupid commands, Bop! Twonk! Puke! Such an assortment of hideous gurning faces too! Clearly from the P.C. branch of the industry. Fat, old, kids, ethnically diverse, vacant, whorish, constipated . . . everything except disabled, I think.

Imagine how excited I was to discover that there was a song to go with this campaign:

Now you can share the joy of "food dancing!"

:cry::cry::cry::eek::eek::eek::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Back