• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Theories Of Everything

Biocentrism has only had a couple of minor mentions on this board - and none on this thread.

I find it quite appealing and had been thinking along similar lines for a while - probably the result of watching too many docos about Quantum Theory that I didn't really understand. :crazy:

Just wondering what other people here think of this.

Biocentrism was first proposed in a 2007 article by Robert Lanza that appeared in “The American Scholar,” where the goal was to show how biology could build upon quantum physics. Two years later, Lanza published a book with astronomer and author Bob Berman entitled “Biocentrism: How Life and Consciousness Are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe”, which expanded upon the ideas that Lanza wrote about in his essay for the “Scholar”.

Biocentrism argues that the primacy of consciousness features in the work of René Descartes, Immanuel Kant, Gottfried Leibniz, George Berkeley, Arthur Schopenhauer, and Henri Bergson. He sees this as supporting the central claim that what we call space and time are forms of animal sense perception, rather than external physical objects.

Robert Lanza argues that biocentrism offers insight into several major puzzles of science, including Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, the double-slit experiment, and the fine tuning of the forces, constants, and laws that shape the universe as we perceive it. According to Robert Lanza and Bob Berman, “biocentrism offers a more promising way to bring together all of physics, as scientists have been trying to do since Einstein’s unsuccessful unified field theories of eight decades ago.”

Seven principles form the core of biocentrism. The first principle of biocentrism is based on the premise that what we observe is dependent on the observer, and says that what we perceive as reality is “a process that involves our consciousness.” The second and third principles state that “our external and internal perceptions are intertwined” and that the behavior of particles “is inextricably linked to the presence of an observer,” respectively. The fourth principle suggests that consciousness must exist and that without it “matter dwells in an undetermined state of probability.” The fifth principle points to the structure of the universe itself, and that the laws, forces, and constants of the universe appear to be fine-tuned for life. Finally, the sixth and seventh principles state that space and time are not objects or things, but rather tools of our animal understanding. Lanza says that we carry space and time around with us “like turtles with shells.”

Robert Lanza claims that biological observers actually create the arrow of time. In his papers on relativity (also published in Annalen der Physik), Einstein showed that time was relative to the observer; in their paper, Podolskiy and Lanza argue that quantum gravitational decoherence is too ineffective to guarantee the emergence of the arrow of time and the “quantum-to-classical” transition to happen at scales of physical interest. They argue that the emergence of the arrow of time is directly related to the way biological observers with memory functions process and remember information. They cite Robert Lanza’s American Scholar paper on biocentrism, stating that the “brainless” observer does not experience time and/or decoherence of any degrees of freedom.

http://www.robertlanzabiocentrism.com/biocentrism-wikipedia/

Here's an extract from Lanza's book, Biocentrism.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31393080/#.Ws3gy2dwaUk

It's bullshit, but it's the sort of respectable bullshit that I can tolerate as a way of looking at the world.

It reminds me of the cult known as the Friends of Wigner in the Xeelee Sequence; not exactly wrong, but not really the basis for a system of religious belief or ethics.

It's bullshit, but it's the sort of respectable bullshit that I can tolerate as a way of looking at the world.

Ok, fair enough. But I'm kind of interested why you think it's BS. I'm kind of thinking that myself, but then I find myself thinking it isn't. Because conscience does have an effect on matter, and we have no real way of explaining that.

I'm more inclined to see this as a first step in the right direction, rather than a fully finished product.

The primary problem with Lanza's over-the-top specifications for his biocentric position is that he's apparently attempting to accord biology primacy over physics so as to patch together a 'theory of everything' from available parts.

Long story short ... He doesn't seem to get the joke he himself is making - i.e., the way to overcome the epistemological / ontological dualities that render the physical sciences incapable of explaining 'conscious experience' on their own terms lies in flipping to the opposite extreme and assuming 'biology' (very broadly and fuzzily defined) can somehow explain everything in or from a single frame of reference.

IMHO his collection of basic principles is a mash-up of themes and philosophical gambits that fall short in illuminating the nature and extent of the re-thinking required to accommodate the points from which he proceeds.

As such, it ends up as a lot of surprisingly shallow hand-waving emphasizing a quantum physics he seems to reasonably comprehend and the neuro- / psycho- / cognitive areas of the life sciences about which he seems more than a little clueless. There's no better evidence for this last point than his casual and semantically fluid allusions to 'consciousness'.

Having said that ... He's not entirely off the mark with some of his points. To the extent he points to certain issues the currently-dominant physical sciences simply can't handle, it's not BS at all. To the extent he claims the way forward is to supplant physics with 'biology' as a single means for explaining everything, I'd have to call it BS.

I'm more inclined to see this as a first step in the right direction, rather than a fully finished product.

That's another problem with Lanza's approach ... He seems oblivious to relevant research and theories that support some of his points and pre-date his manifesto by several decades. Lanza doesn't seem to realize his first step is in a direction where a lot of others' footprints already extend to the horizon.

... But I'm kind of interested why you think it's BS. ...

OK ... Let me attempt to address this with a very cursory critical review of Lanza's seven basic principles ...

The first principle of biocentrism is based on the premise that what we observe is dependent on the observer, and says that what we perceive as reality is “a process that involves our consciousness.”

This is correct, and it's not news. Setting aside Lanza's fuzzy allusion to the even fuzzier notion of 'consciousness', this represents ground that's been covered by (e.g.) Peircean semiotics and second-order cybernetics for up to a century. Some recommended readings if you want to explore this point would include people like (e.g.):

- Charles Sanders Peirce
- Heinz von Foerster
- Gregory Bateson
- Humberto Maturana
- Francisco Varela
- Ernst von Glasersfeld

The second and third principles state that “our external and internal perceptions are intertwined” and that the behavior of particles “is inextricably linked to the presence of an observer,” respectively.

The first bit (re: intertwining) has always been a canonical principle in psychology and cognitive science, and (in the cursory form quoted) I can only take it as a tautology for which Lanza scores no points.

The second bit (re: particles' behavior contingent on the observer) is bogus and isn't even decent scholarly sleight-of-hand. Lanza himself frames observer-contingency with respect to the probabilities of a particle's behavior rather than the behavior per se. This is the point at which Lanza makes the leap from accommodating biological / 'consciousness' issues to giving them not just primacy, but even causal control.

The fourth principle suggests that consciousness must exist and that without it “matter dwells in an undetermined state of probability.”

Insofar as Lanza never specifies which of the myriad spins on 'consciousness' he's leveraging here, the first bit is vacuous. Perhaps more to the point - he (a biologist touting the biological sciences) offers no explanatory linkage between biological life or operations and whatever version of 'consciousness' he's promoting.

He side-slips from epistemology to ontology in the second bit, where he predicates physical existence on the abstract probabilistic description of the physical. IMHO this bit is somewhere between hand-waving and outright BS.

The fifth principle points to the structure of the universe itself, and that the laws, forces, and constants of the universe appear to be fine-tuned for life.

Ah, yes - the longstanding and well-worn 'Goldilocks' / 'Anthropic' principle.

It's interesting that a biologist touting biology would miss the obvious opportunity to note that the degree of 'good fit' between life and the physical universe is just as lucidly explained by life's adaptability rather than the universe's design. This, of course, would deny him a clear path to his eventual position that the physical is contingent on the conscious / cognitive.

Finally, the sixth and seventh principles state that space and time are not objects or things, but rather tools of our animal understanding. ...

This is correct, and it's not news. Spatiality and temporality are side- or meta-effects of perceptual-cognitive processes underlying psychomotor operations. The 'space' and 'time' referred to in (e.g.) physics are formal abstractions inserted to support quantification and analysis reflecting these aspects of 'conscious experience' (as Lanza puts it).

A lot of psychological research literature has dealt with spatiality and temporality issues - particularly reviews and analyses of pathological cases (e.g., brain injuries). I'd also recommend looking into biosemiotics in its original sense, starting with the work of Jakob von Uexküll.

Wow - thanks - an exhaustive reply if there ever was one!

It is that "fuzziness" of terms "Biological" and "conscious" that create problems for me here. Besides - can we be sure that non-biological objects aren't conscious on some level?

Like I said - I think it is good that there are serious academic discussions around these subjects, I don't think that Biocentrism offers all the answers.

Wow - thanks - an exhaustive reply if there ever was one!

Thanks ... :hoff:

It's really only a cursory sketch of the major problems I see on first inspection. I'm actually sympathetic to some of his points, but I can't help but see his overall exposition as flawed and potentially self-defeating in some respects.

In any case ... I see arguing which current mainstream discipline should take the lead in a quixotic quest to explain everything in conventional terms is about as useless as debating who's officially the Titanic's watch officer while the iceberg is looming ahead.

It is that "fuzziness" of terms "Biological" and "conscious" that create problems for me here. Besides - can we be sure that non-biological objects aren't conscious on some level?

The fuzziness factor is far worse for the 'consciousness' bit than the 'biological' bit - at least from the vantage point of my own theoretical preferences and commitments.

FWIW, within the context of my own orientations ... I'd say we can be pretty certain no non-biological entities we know so far are, or will ever be, capable of meeting any of the definitions of 'consciousness'. On the other hand, I believe it's possible for the requisite substrate / bases for 'consciousness' to be manifest in certain classes of systems even if they're not realized as biological entities.

On the other hand, I believe it's possible for the requisite substrate / bases for 'consciousness' to be manifest in certain classes of systems even if they're not realized as biological entities.

Well, yes, that's what I was trying to get at. But without a generally accepted definition of 'consciousness', you can't really argue one way or another.

I see arguing which current mainstream discipline should take the lead in a quixotic quest to explain everything in conventional terms is about as useless as debating who's officially the Titanic's watch officer while the iceberg is looming ahead.
I think any enquiry into the nature of things is worthwhile in itself. But it could well be quixotic, no doubt.

There is no empirical, scientific evidence for the Multiverse
In scientific theories, the Multiverse appears as a bug rather than as a feature. We should squash it.

Now, I admit, these are very big, very cool, and very exciting ideas. The problem is they are just that: ideas. There is not one single shred of evidence for the existence of any of these Multiverses. Not. One. Single. Shred. But that absence is really just the beginning. When you look at it, the Multiverse appears in these theories mostly as a failure to deal with the real problem that they were originally interested in.

So, put it all together and it turns out that, scientifically, the Multiverse is mostly a bust. It is a solution to problems with existing theories, not an explanation for unexplained observations or data. That means we are stuck with this one Universe we see and the one history that allowed us to be here looking at it. Given how beautiful, wonderous, and extraordinary that one Universe and one history are, however, I don’t see that as a problem at all. And I still love the Multiverse as fiction. Go Doctor Strange!

https://bigthink.com/13-8/multiverse-no-evidence/

...I too “ love” the idea of the Multiverse- ( and so do all of my very many versions, so I’m told)- aaannd whilst I’m no physicist, ( I really wish I had the math) the fact that the expansion of our Universe is speeding up, could it be that we live in a multiverse “foam”, where each and every Universe is pressing and squeezing against each other and therefore that will cause this kind of expansion/speed variation we have discovered?

And as for a “Theory of Everything” - I don’t think it will ever happen, as “everything” will, and continue to keep on moving the goal posts, ever so slightly, on and on, and will probably stay just tantalisingly out of reach...
... but that is the very reason that we should strive to compile one, it ain’t the destination, it’s the journey, isn’t it, (and the discoveries and the technological spin offs etc etc that are likely to result ) and that’s the most important element, isn’t it?

One of the popular arguments for suggesting a multiverse is the alleged manner in which our universe is "fine-tuned" to allow the emergence of life (such as ourselves; on our own terms) and even intelligent life (such as ourselves; on our own terms). A newly published report suggests this self-attribution of advantageous "fine-tuning" is unwarranted, and there's no basis for leveraging this myth to promote the idea of a multiverse.
Is the “Fine-Tuned Universe” an Illusion? Challenging Popular Arguments for a Multiverse

For decades physicists have been perplexed about why our cosmos appears to have been precisely tuned to foster intelligent life. It is widely thought that if the values of certain physical parameters, such as the masses of elementary particles, were tweaked, even slightly, it would have prevented the formation of the components necessary for life in the universe — including planets, stars, and galaxies. But recent studies, detailed in a new report by the Foundational Questions Institute, FQXi, propose that intelligent life could have evolved under drastically different physical conditions. The claim undermines a major argument in support of the existence of a multiverse of parallel universes.

“The tuning required for some of these physical parameters to give rise to life turns out to be less precise than the tuning needed to capture a station on your radio, according to new calculations,” says Miriam Frankel, who authored the FQXi report, which was produced with support from the John Templeton Foundation. “If true, the apparent fine tuning may be an illusion,” Frankel adds. ...
FULL STORY: https://scitechdaily.com/is-the-fin...allenging-popular-arguments-for-a-multiverse/

Back