• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Therianthropy, Otherkin, Etc.

I believe many of us go through life occasionally feeling like a stranger in a strange land, and at odds with the entire human race. My own view is that this is a perfectly normal symptom of being a thinking, intelligent human being - not a symptom that you are really a vampire or starchild or fairy or whatever.

Having had a look at a handful of Otherkin websites and forums, they strike me as a rather joyless and strangely unimaginative bunch of people.

hmm

some of the "beast people" are a bit boring/OTT but
that applies to every race of humans.
i sorta figured the post wasnt about me.

Here this dude is quite famous for seriously believing he's a tiger and he's got his face tatooed, has holes in his lips for whiskers and several facial operations to make him look more like his furry inner self... Still he holds down a good IT job as it happens:

http://www.kellyx.net/images/tiger-man.jpg

And who could forget Mr Penguin

He must be getting on a bit if he's still going. As far as I know, Mr Penguin doesn't work in IT.

tatoos ?

i dont really like tatoos, me.. besides, i dont wanna
go nutz over the wolf thing.
i mite just simply get an all-over hair implant and go
live in the mountains.[/b]

Furs, Were's & otherkin

Ha, something I know about :) And no I'm none of the below, although I know peopel who are.

Furs or furries -
people that like to externalise aspects of their personalities by identifying with certain animals and then dressing like them. Usually by the addition of a tail and/or (usually cat)ears when going out and about or sometimes full fursuits in less public areas. Big fans of anthropomorphic animals. Not to be confused with plushies who..um.. do things with stuffed animals etc, though like everything else, the two can overlap.

Were's -
People who beleive they can "shift" into another form. Depending on who you talk to it can be purely mental, i.e. accessing the feral animal part of ourselves or that they can physically change into another form. Some think they can shift but it's not their physical body that changes but that it's in the astral projection type way (or that they inhabit another body int eh real world so to speak) but they are an animal in that form.

Otherkin -
people who believe that they were not born with a "human" soul but rather have the soul of something else inside them and use descriptions such as "dragons", "demons", "unicorons", "tigers" etc to describe what they feel best describes it, or they beleive they actually are/were that creature, depends who you talk to.

Re: The woman who believed she had wings. It's not all that hard to believe that you've got some kind of extra body part...remember when you were a child, playing pretend? Next time you're walking, swing your hips a little more and imagine you've got a tail swishing behind. If you concentrate hard enough it actually feels like you've got an invisible tail behind you. I admit, I do this on occasion- it's fun to imagine you've got some long curling tail behind you. I think most of the time the 'shifters' just take that to extreme- a vivid game of pretend they actually believe is real.

One one thing I've noticed about furries (and the main thing that convinces me that most of them are crackers and making it up) is that they're only ever 'popular' animals, like dragons, wolves and foxes (I bet 80% of all furries claim to be those). If like they say you can't 'choose' what your animal part is, why aren't there any trouts, or earthworms, or naked mole rats? Methinks the only reason the majority of them are dragons/wolves/foxes is because they're so cooooooooool. (highschool girl voice there)

Yeah, main gripe.

If they aren't harming anyone I wouldn't worry or get wound up over someone's apparently bizarre (to us) life choices. If it rocks their boat and no one gets hurt or exploited, let them get on with dressing up in nylon-fur suits or pretending they have the soul of a dragon.

So what if the majority of animals that are chosen to be these people's are Tigers, Wolves or the more fantastical dragons and other assorted Tolkienesque crap? Ask any number of kids what their favourite animal is and the majority will say something along the lines of cats, lions or tigers. The few freakier ones will probably call me a liar and say I dunno... a rat snake or something but, and I'm generalising, most people do tend to prefer the more "popular" and fluffier animals over the slimy, scaly, phobia-causing ones like snakes and spiders.

Graham Norton and Eurotrash would run out of gags if it wasn't for people like this. Plus there was that CSI episode...

BTW to clarify: I am not an Otherkin/Furry or whatever else they are called. I feel the need to stress that and no I'm not protesting too much. :D

Quixote said:
BTW to clarify: I am not an Otherkin/Furry or whatever else they are called. I feel the need to stress that and no I'm not protesting too much. :D

Hmmmmmmm

actually I know a frog fur :) Most often people do identify with creatures of the feline/canine variety.... which is understandable as these are the animals we are genrally most in touch with on a day to day basis and thus more people identify with them. There are certainly a lot fo other varieties out there, snakes furs, platipi, rats, mice, etc though admitedly they are less common.

Emperor said:
Quixote said:

Hmmmmmmm

I get a "Hmmmmm" for attempting to show a little tolerance.

This dude posts up:

Many_Angled_One said:
actually I know a frog fur

and it is me that gets "Hmmmm"-d at. :(

I haven't checked any of the links posted up (go on "Hmmm" me, go on) but would the founding Otherkin and Furries etc. have got the idea and run away with it, from say, Pagan, Native American and other such Totemic beliefs?

Or is that stretching it a bit? :)

Raya said:
One one thing I've noticed about furries (and the main thing that convinces me that most of them are crackers and making it up) is that they're only ever 'popular' animals, like dragons, wolves and foxes (I bet 80% of all furries claim to be those). If like they say you can't 'choose' what your animal part is, why aren't there any trouts, or earthworms, or naked mole rats? Methinks the only reason the majority of them are dragons/wolves/foxes is because they're so cooooooooool. (highschool girl voice there)

Yeah, main gripe.

I have researched this area and know of clinical cases of were birds, gerbils and rabbits although there are a lot of these large predatory mammals (see below for an explanation).

Quixote said:
I haven't checked any of the links posted up (go on "Hmmm" me, go on) but would the founding Otherkin and Furries etc. have got the idea and run away with it, from say, Pagan, Native American and other such Totemic beliefs?

No it is certainly deeper than that (I know of a case of a Buddhist monk who was a were bird, for example) and in fact if it was influenced a lot by traditional ideas then there would probably be more of a spread of animals - we've discussed spiders as totems in another thread and the Native Americans have a wide range of potential totems and just about any animal can be a wereanimal - as you know form the details of the Brazilian weredolphins I PMed you (sorry). See:

Half Human, Half Animal: Tales of Werewolves and Related Creatures
Jamie Hall (2003)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410758095/
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410758095/

I do think people who start thinking they are animals certainly look into things like totem animals, etc. as part of an explanation but I'd imagine it is that way round and not usually the other way round.

Emperor said:
Quixote said:

No it is certainly deeper than that (I know of a case of a Buddhist monk who was a were bird, for example) and in fact if it was influenced a lot by traditional ideas then there would probably be more of a spread of animals - we've discussed spiders as totems in another thread and the Native Americans have a wide range of potential totems and just about any animal can be a wereanimal - as you know form the details of the Brazilian weredolphins I PMed you (sorry). See:

Half Human, Half Animal: Tales of Werewolves and Related Creatures
Jamie Hall (2003)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410758095/
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1410758095/

I do think people who start thinking they are animals certainly look into things like totem animals, etc. as part of an explanation but I'd imagine it is that way round and not usually the other way round.

Cheers, I just had an idea knocking around my head that they could be taking an older belief or traditions and making it more contemporary and as with human nature and seemingly some religions, just taking certain parts of it and making it into their own.

The were-dolphins of Brazil (that book looks great) reminded me of Selkies and of Sharks in Pacific and also Native American folklore/mythology.

Oh and I should say that the "Half Human, Half Animal" book got a glowing review in FT a few months back.

Quixote said:
Cheers, I just had an idea knocking around my head that they could be taking an older belief or traditions and making it more contemporary and as with human nature and seemingly some religions, just taking certain parts of it and making it into their own.

And I'm sure some people do as they get into traditional beliefs and look for a totem but a lot of the people we are discussing in this thread have approached it from the other direction - looking into traditional belief systems to help explain why they feel the way they do (if at all - few of the clinical cases have*).

[edit * which is why I think some kind of shamanistic training could be a better alternative to actually medicating people - although in all but one case medication has proved effective. Not only is this part of an issue of over medicating but that somehow unusual beliefs should be medicated keep a societal norm. If they aren't doing harm to themselves and are able to lead their lives while believing they can turn into an animal then why not? The shamanic training just gives them a way to "come back" from their experiences.]

As for Otakin, I think they're full of shyte.

However, on a different perspective- if we assume different dimensions of reality, parallel universes, then we could account for a possibility that somewhere, some time, there exists XYZ Anime character as a living, breathing, blooded creature.

I don't think it's necessarily farfetched- myself, I don't view time as linear, I believe that it loops back on itself. I also think it's possible that all times are happening all at once, in essense, past, present, and future all occuring at the same moment (hence precognition and retrocognition, perhaps people are picking up what will be our future or past as it is occuring at the same time on another plane). Did that make sense?

If there are infinite realities and infinite possibilities, then one could say it's possible that whoever created XYZ Anime character was influenced by a real person existing in some other dimension. (Some people also believe that every time we imagine a world inside our heads, we bring it into being, therefore everything ever thought up exists out there somewhere. I've often wondered this as characters I have created for fiction have often become extremely realistic, sometimes even willfull and defiant of what I wanted to write them doing. It makes me go, "hmmm," if nothing else.)

As for dragons and unicorns and vampires never existing- we don't know that. We are constantly finding new animals on this planet, constantly uncovering new species that went extinct thousands or millions of years ago. Who's to say there was never a hexapodal reptilian creature that could fly? Or an equine creature with a protrubent horn on its head? Who's to say these creatures even came from Terra, but were not instead glimpsed in another galexy, on another planet, in a visionary fugue? We just don't know. I don't believe that such ponderings are beyond reason, or that it is too complicated or farfetched. I firmly believe in other worlds with other life forms. Heck, I even believe that our spirits may have come from those other worlds.

Admitedly, I have a fairly... unique... way of looking at these things, but I'm not alone. My husband also believes such is possible, as do other like-minded people on the 'net that I have found through various message board systems.

As for me, I believe what I do. I don't care if anyone else does, I just enjoy being able to have my spirituality to myself. I don't answer to demands for proof, or admonitions that my beliefs are "escapism." I've spent years exploring my beliefs, and I've pondered whether it is some sort of mental disturbance, but I strongly disbelieve that it is. As for proof, no one can prove a spiritual belief, so I don't even try ;)

Something interesting that a like-minded friend of mine suggested. There is a condition of "gender dysphoria" (of which I think I have a mild form of, often associating my thoughts and such to more "masculine" stereotypes and just generally feeling like I should have been male). She proposes a condition of "species dysphoria" in which you see yourself as being in the wrong body. Obviously, it's not a recognised condition (I'm not sure it would even have crossed the minds of psychs to look into) but I find it compelling and very interesting. Gender dysphorics often go to lengths to change their bodies into the appropriate gender (something I myself have thought about, even researched, but am too chicken to do, and I can live with being female even if I don't feel entirely comfortable in my skin). However, if there was a way to give myself functional- fully functional- limbs that conform to how I see myself, and could count on a very high success rate, (and it was affordable, yadda yadda) I could easily see myself going for it. I've already inked my skin in an attempt to make myself more comfortable with it, pierced it as well.

Surgical alteration would only be another step.

Anyway, it's late, I really ought to be asleep now. I just felt compelled to respond to this thread, as well as the dysmorphia thread, as I find both concepts extremely interesting and fun to discuss.

Hiya All,

Im new here and have been reading this post with some interest. I am otherkin (a dragon) and to be honest im just shocked more then anything that people that post on this forum can belive in aliens, ghosts etc etc but they cant seem to get their head around the fact that perhaps we have lived before in different bodies and as something that could be called mythical.

Now i may have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, and im sorry if i have but its the way i see it.

(to the people who have posted on the postive side of things, im sorry) :cry:

I believe it's possible that we have lived before as, say, a bear. I just don't believe that we are currently a bear in human form.

If like they say you can't 'choose' what your animal part is, why aren't there any trouts, or earthworms, or naked mole rats?

I do not believe I am an otherkin or anything like that, but if I had to pick the animal I most likely would be if I were one, I would definitely be a fish.

Sharitioxz said:
Hiya All,

Im new here and have been reading this post with some interest. I am otherkin (a dragon) and to be honest im just shocked more then anything that people that post on this forum can belive in aliens, ghosts etc etc but they cant seem to get their head around the fact that perhaps we have lived before in different bodies and as something that could be called mythical.

I suppose that raises a number of issues:

1. A lot of people who post on the FTMB are agnostic on a whole range of issues potentially including aliens and ghosts (to varying degrees).

2. Even if someone accepted the existence of say ghosts it needn't mean they should automatically accept other things.

3. Reincarnation itself is still a very open topic but a lot of people would wonder how somoene could be the reincarantion of a mythical or even fictional creature (i.e. something that never actually existed).

Sharitioxz said:
I am otherkin (a dragon) and to be honest im just shocked more then anything that people that post on this forum can belive in aliens, ghosts etc etc but they cant seem to get their head around the fact that perhaps we have lived before in different bodies and as something that could be called mythical.
I'd be interested to know how you discovered your identity as a dragon, and why you believe that you are currently incarnated as a human. To generalise, most believers in reincarnation feel that there is a meaning and purpose to their current life, and that they are here to continue the education of their soul, whereas people who define themselves as otherkin seem to feel that the universe has made a terrible mistake in imprisoning their soul in a human body and that their human existence is nothing more than an unwanted burden. It seems a terribly bleak and despairing way of looking at life.

It just clicked to be honest,

From birth i have always felt "different" but could not understand why, then i started to get flying dreams in these dreams, i would feel something on my back and be able to fly around where ever i liked.

Then one night i was reading a book something clicked in my head and i just wrote down a random name, and started drawing an image (long since gone now), i was not sure what i was drawing but it seemed to make sense.

I wrested with the ideas for some time, though i was a freak etc etc, then i started to find websites with other people that were going though the same thing as me.

Answer to your question, i belive i have been put here for a purpose, what that is im not sure yet. I would love to be able to rid myself of this "shell" but i know that is not going to happen, i will have to live my life as a human and carry on the best i can.

I think that when i die, i will hopefully be a dragon again, if not then so be it.

Any help?

What `is` wrong with being a human?

And why should we let previous incarnations affect our current one?

Nothing wrong with being human.

As for previous incantations i think if you really let it effect the way you live your life to a certain point then you really consider getting some help, if for example you sit and just think about wanting to be something, and never make friends or live you life.

As for me i know what i was, and i just hope that one day i can be that again, but as i said on my last post, if that does not happen, then so be it.

I mean whos to say, that if i get reborn again i wont remember this life and want to be human?

I believe in reincarnation but I've never heard of otherkin before.

The belief that you can reincarnate as an animal has been around in the far east for thousands of years. There are also beliefs that there are many different worlds that you can reincarnate in that are not like the Earth such as worlds full of demons and that demons can reincarnate in human bodies etc. All this is fairly standard in certain religions and not considered mad as it is in the west.

Norwegian state tv recently showed a program called Født I Feil Art, or born into the wrong species. It was as you can imagine about otherkin, such as the girl Nano who claims that she's actually a...wait for it...cat. Why is nobody ever a naked mo!e rat or african land snail? The whole thing is available on YouTube.

Norwegian state tv recently showed a program called Født I Feil Art, or born into the wrong species. It was as you can imagine about otherkin, such as the girl Nano who claims that she's actually a...wait for it...cat. Why is nobody ever a naked mo!e rat or african land snail? The whole thing is available on YouTube.

Haha! not seen this thread in years!!

Back