• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

"Thing In The Attic/Cellar" Stories

OK, here is the heading, you choose: 'Flying dog', or 'The Death Card'. Votes, please. Don't worry, I have more.

BTW, I would like to swear that all stories related are from my personal experiences and are true and as accurate as possible. No BS, these things did occur. I may however add a bit of comical tone as above, so you will better get a feel for it. ;)

@Celtic Rose. HI. As described in my post, it serves the legal noobs mostly and is near the railway line. Its the Pen & Wig on the Cathays end of the City Centre. I used to work in the Firedrake and firkin, now called Gassy Jacks in the ehart of Cathays.

lvninjas said:
OK, here is the heading, you choose: 'Flying dog', or 'The Death Card'. Votes, please. Don't worry, I have more.

I'm sure you can't beat a flying dog for entertainment...

any other votes? Oh, if only we had a dog emoticon...

Just tell us.... :? ;)
You've got two votes for the darn flying mutt, now TELL!!!!!

Holy Hannah! I guess I better tell them both then, huh? LOL

OK, Dog first. Well, joke first.

What does an atheist dyslexic with insomnia think about at night? Answer coming up later...

Growing up, we had 2 dogs; a black lab and a cocker spaniel poodle mix. As often has been told about dogs on this site, they would sometimes growl at the corner, seemingly at nothing. Other times, they would growl and then we would experience some phenomenon. Well, these 2 times, our cocker-poodle had no idea what happened...

As my Dad is an avid reader, he almost always reads in bed before sleep. After a particularly active week (knocks, bumps, other ghostly miscellany), Dad was reading in bed. Our dog in mention would lay at his feet, keeping his toes warm. He seemed to feel she was a bit more restless this night and happened t o look at her...and noticed she was sleep-floating. She was about 1 foot off the bed, still sleeping. As his jaw dropped, she flew, as if thrown from a platter! Hitting the ground, still curled, she rolled and barked and snapped at the air... then looked at my Dad like HE did it! She sort of snorted and left the room.

For a few days, she ignored my Dad, avoiding him except at feeding time. Well, once she felt good enough to sleep on the bed again, it happened again! The 2nd time, however, my Dad said, as she was mid air, "Don't hurt her!". Well, apparently our spirit resident respected my Dad enough to let her down more gently; just a little more. She rarely slept on the bed after that. I guess Jack didn't like her on the bed... :?

Joke Answer: He sits up at night wondering, "Is there really a Dog?" ~Insert rim shot here~
BTW Please tell some of all of your experiences! Basement or not... I don't want to hijack this thread

What a curious episode. I'd be interested to know more about the house and the other "things" going on. Did you hear this directly from your Dad?

Yes, My dad told me directly a few years after the incident. He decided not to tell us because he was afraid that at the time of the flying dog (we were 12ish) that we would get freaked out. Little did he know, this was a small incident to us. By this time, it had been 4 years. We would see this shadow go from the hallway into the bathroom about once a month, hear it walking up the stairs behind us as well as other less mundane things. We had become fairly desensitized to it by the time we were 14.

BTW, the house was built in 1921 in Royal Oak MI, colonial style, and oddly had a fake fireplace original to construction. (as far as we could tell) It even had an outlet in the bottom for fake logs. How odd for the 1920's eh?

Now, the Death Card story...(WARNING: It's long)

Within a year of our moving into the house, we went out to some friend of the family's house. Details are unimportant to this tale. When we got back about 9PM or so, we all got out of our car and headed to the front door. (My dad didn't add a working garage until I was at least 19 and in the Army)

As my Dad opened the door, he stopped dead in his tracks, told us to NOT come in no matter what. (great way to set us at ease, eh? :( ) After a few minutes, he exited saying it was alright and he looked much more relieved. He would not ell my brother or me about this until we were about 16.

Come to find out, when he went in, he saw the picture from above the mantle on the floor, face up, looking toward the fireplace. In front of it were 2 wine carafes, a cribbage board and a deck of cards. Those were all in place. He said it was as if someone faced the picture, taken it off the mantle, turned around and set it on the floor face up. The best part; there was a card from the deck face down in the corner, as if placed there. :shock: NONE of this would have happened if it had slid off. It was just resting on the mantle, without hanging hooks.

According to lore, the ace of spades is the death card. He was expecting this, but was happily surprised to find a Jack of Hearts, the friend card. (Remember the original owner's name) None of the cards had been moved and the dust rings around the carafes were intact. (Sorry, we didn't have a maid...)

He went around the house looking for intruders, placed eveything back and :)

A few days later he and my step mom played cribbage in their room. Every peg she touched turned to dust; literal powder. He could touch one and it would be fine, then she would touch it and the peg would turn to powder. We still don't know why. The incident occured in about 1975. I honestly wonder if it still has activity.

According to lore, the ace of spades is the death card. He was expecting this, but was happily surprised to find a Jack of Hearts, the friend card. (Remember the original owner's name)
Er, no, I don't. Just did a quick skim back through the thread - did I miss something?

Sorry, I thought I posted it - the first owner's name was Jack. Hence, the (oddly miscued) connection... :oops:

Flying dogs and ghostly games of cribbage. Does your family still own the house? You could make a killing outta it!

Oh, I wish we still owned it. Unfortunately, my dad moved when I was in the Army. He got sick of the neighborhood and wanted more land.

We had so many small encounters, such as auditory hallucinations, (what's the right word?) knocking for response, shadows, dogs growling at the air and other odd noises. Michigan State University wanted to do a paranormal investigation in 1981, but Dad said no. I have no idea how they heard about it.

We would regularly wake in the middle of the night for privy reasons and hear all aspects of the toilet flushing, even though nothing was actually occuring. Eventually we would jokingly ask the ghost if he would flush for real next time. He never did.

One of the scariest was one night my Dad was working late (Heating repair in Michigan winter, or picture London right now and losing your heat) So, my step mom heard him drive up in the snow, park, close the van door, bump and bang in to the house (so she wouldn't shoot him as an intruder) all the way to the bedroom door. Then, nothing. Several minutes went by and she looked in the hall and no one was there or in front of the house; not even tire tracks.

1 hour later, the exact same sequence of sounds occured, except he opened the bedroom door the see the barrel of a .38 pistol in his face.:shock: To put it mildly, my step mom was a little unnerved about it the first time and was not risking it. He was also unnerved by the greeting. That situation never occured again in any form, except he would verbally announce his presence when working late from then on.;)

I am not sure if this is related to Jack, or if it was a precognitive thing. What do you think?

Ooooh, I wish I'd known about EVP work then!!!

A suitably creepy photo story to reopen this old thread with.
Don't read this alone: Imgur user posts creepy pictures of secret stairs hidden behind a bookcase... and someone is living there. Or is this just the most terrifying online hoax ever?

Picture Gallery

Pictures purport to show a set of secret stairs hidden behind a bookcase, along with photographs suggesting someone may be living in the walls

The Independent. Rob Williams. 14 November 2013

As a hoax it's terrifying enough. If it's real it will likely keep you awake at night for a very long time...

A user of the online image hosting service 'imgur' has posted pictures purporting to show a set of secret stairs hidden behind a bookcase, along with photographs suggesting someone may be living in his walls.

Click here or on the gallery above to read the story....

The story and pictures were posted on 'imgur' yesterday and were quickly picked up and posted to Reddit.

The story and the images have prompted fierce debate over their veracity with many suggesting the story is a hoax. Almost equal numbers of people, however, appear to have been completely taken in.

The post begins with a picture of a bookcase accompanied by the caption: "I'm currently staying at a friends house.. Here's why."

The poster, who calls themselves 'TwoBiteBrownie' continues: "I moved into a house about a year ago. The previous owners built the house in the early 2000's, and moved to India two years ago. This picture above shows my parents' room. Then the other day, we found this."

The next image shows the bookcase opens from the wall to reveal a staircase. "My little brother and me were messing around, and I pushed him into the shelf. When he fell, he pulled out the bookshelf with him. We always assumed it was just built into the wall," he writes.

'TwoBiteBrownie' goes on to post further pictures (see gallery above) showing the spiral staircase continuing straight into the wall. They go on to post pictures of a hidden crawl space full of sweet packets, which the user claims were from their "Halloween candy", along with dolls, a key and a strange elephant.

The pictures show the crawl space also contained a number of creepy looking dolls. As yet no update has been posted though

'TwoBiteBrownie' has promised to give an update once the police report back.

So, what do you think? The creepiest hoax ever? Or just plain creepy?

UPDATE: 'TwoBiteBrownie' has sought to address readers' concerns over the veracity of his tale.
If true, then creepy enough.

I agree totally... and that's a pretty robust bookcase door to get 'accidentally' knocked open.

The whole thing looks way too clean too for a place someone was living and often wouldn't have been able to get out due to the occupants of the house being there.

And from the comments section:

Don't let von Cameron know or he'll introduce "Creepy Staircase" tax

In the follow up the poster describes the walls as 'incredibly soundproof' but the photograph of the sleeping space shows wall studs only faced on one side (that is, the side away from us). To properly soundproof a stud wall you need to combine mass and void - the least you have to do is fill the gap between the battens with some sort of sound dampening insulation and, if possible, clad both sides. You can buy plasterboard with extra sound dampening qualities, but like most elements of soundproofing it really has to be combined with other elements to make any difference, so even if the wall board used has those qualities it probably wouldn't have much effect.

That's kind of the long way round of saying that the wall isn't soundproofed at all - close enough, you'd probably be able to hear a sleeping person breathe through it, let alone fart.

This is surely a good place to bring up the Royal Monster of Glamis Castle again...unless there's a thread for it.

In 1821, the 11th earl was at the castle with his wife, awaiting the birth of their first child. According to the legend spread in the village by the midwife who attended Lady Glamis, the child was born extremely deformed, but otherwise healthy. Local suspicion was aroused, then, when the child's death soon after was announced. There were rumors of infanticide, which developed into rumors of the child being hidden away when people realized that there was no grave or headstone for the child found in the family's graveyard.

It became a widely-whispered secret that the 11th earl had locked up his rightful heir in some oppressive secret room rather than let the world see the "monster". If everyone thinks the child to be dead, then the earl's other, non-deformed children can take its place as heir.

Many Victorian visitors decided to investigate the matter while at the castle. People snooped around and claimed to see things, like a shadow walking along the battlements, or a hidden door leading to a long series of tunnels, or even seeing the monster himself, who was "half-human, half-toad." The only evidence to favor that there was some truth to the rumor was a visiting man who reportedly saw something and was soon after pressured into emigrating to Australia, the earl footing the bill.

In 1904, the New York Sun reported: "On one occasion a young doctor, who was staying in the castle professionally, found on returning to his bedroom that the carpet had been taken up and relayed. He noted that the mark [pattern] of the carpet was different at one end of the room. By moving the furniture and raising the carpet, he laid bare a trap door, which he forced open and found himself in a passage. This passage ended in a cement wall. The cement was still soft, leaving the impress of a finger. He returned to his room—and next morning received a cheque for his services with the intimation that the carriage was ready to take him to the station for the first train."

Whether it's true or not, even members of the Bowes-Lyon family got swept up by the rumors about themselves. On his deathbed in 1865, the 12th earl told his brother that, though he had tried to laugh down the story, he felt compelled to pray away its dark influence. When he died and the 13th earl inherited, his first order was to restore the family chapel, where he stayed up praying all night, reputedly for the sins the family had committed against its hidden member. There were a few instances of close family friends who refused to ever stay the night in the castle for reasons they refused to disclose to anyone else.

It was also reputed that on each (male) family member's 21st birthday, they would be initiated into the specifics of the secret in a clandestine family ritual (the women, of course, were too delicate to know anything more than the rumors everyone else knew). However, the 14th earl, having seen the detrimental effect the secret had on his relatives, sternly refused to have anything revealed to him. He wanted to let the secret die out. The "monster", if he ever existed, had been long-dead by this point, his secret chamber reputedly bricked up with the corpse inside. The 14th earl, therefore, saw no reason to keep the knowledge of the mystery going and didn't want his existence to be clouded by family shame.

While it's unclear if the family was ever haunted by more than just rumor and speculation, what is clear is how the later generations felt about it: Queen Elizabeth II's aunt, Rose Bowes-Lyon, who was born in the castle, has stated officially, "We were never allowed to talk about it when we were children. Our parents forbade us ever to discuss the matter or ask any questions about it. My father and grandfather refused absolutely to discuss it.”

http://bizarrevictoria.livejournal.com/16221.html

There's more here.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4276

Just how this 'secret' got out I don't know but Wiki suggests there are numerous mentions of the unfortunate creature in fiction.

In the 1940s, French surrealist author Maurice Sandoz wrote "The Maze," a novel clearly based on the legend of the Glamis monster. In this story, however, the "monster" is a kindly, long-lived Scottish nobleman who had the misfortune to be born in the shape of a toad (or frog). His existence is kept secret, and he manages his affairs and property through a series of nephews. In 1953, the novel was filmed by director William Cameron Menzies as The Maze.

jimv1 said:
Fantastic! Thanks for pointing to that.

Yes, one of my favourite Fortean stories; sent a shiver up my spine when I first read about it at school, well over thirty years ago - and it still does so now.

Does anyone remember a creepy story in which a girl was terrified of a basement door and to help her get over the fear her parents tied her to a chair and left her in front of the door (!), and when they returend she was gone? I've been trying to find it via search but haven't found it, I was sure someone had read the story and shared it, possibly as a scanned page of a book. Does this ring any bells?

The only spooky thing to happen in a cellar to me was when I was about 13/14 in my mates cellar. He had a pool table set up in there and we would have a game or 2 quite often.
One day we were talking about ghosts and such, he told me he had seen the balls moving on the table by themselves several times. I scoffed at him and then saw the black pot itself.
We scarpered, as you would, then after about 100 meters stopped for a fag....we didn't speak of ghosts down there again lol!

A ghost with a sense of humour, I like it.

Back