• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Things We're Leaving That May Confuse Future Archaeologists

I saw some of those 'witch hats' in a recent exhibition at the BM. The idea that they might be hats seems absurd on the face of it - they would be heavy and easy to damage. But on the other hand, what else could they be?
220px-Cappello_d%27oro_di_berlino%2C_1000_ac_ca._01.jpg
Early male prophylactic ?

Could it be a crown? One only momentarily worn, during a crowning ceremony?

That flat part at the bottom makes it look like a hat. However that part on hats is to shield you from rain or sun, there is no reason to have it on a ceremonial hat. I bet it is just a base to make it balance better on a flat surface.

[AI] 'Apparently, the first Lion fossil was excavated in Southern Germany estimated to be between 191,000 to 57,000 years old!'
Looking at the Mammoth Ivory carving of the Lion Man figure, I see shows that 'he' is marked with 'shoulder stripes?'
Why?
Surely they must stand for recognition to something - suggest that maybe the number of Lions that were brought down by a particular leading hunter, and this may have been the person for others to look up to and follow, whom would be remembered with this hand made trophy?
(Why else would those shoulder stripes be incised up on this figure?)

It would be an indication of social standing, or recognition of progression through different levels of 'Law'...

1701641796411.jpeg

Keys, bundles of metal keys.

Now what would they make of all our lost keys at beaches.

It would be an indication of social standing, or recognition of progression through different levels of 'Law'...
I would never have thought of that. I assumed it was a representation of musculature.

I would never have thought of that. I assumed it was a representation of musculature.
No Steven, until 70 years ago, you could tell the standing of an Aboriginal Person within their community by their levels of ritual scarification.

Circumcision, or teeth evulsion, then the individual scarring of chest, stomach, back, arm, forearm, and then the last one, which was an elective (subincision).

Oh, I see, mate. :)

It's so frustrating to not know exactly what is signified by the Lion Man sculpture.

Reactions: Sid
There is an underwater statue of Jason Vorhees located at the bottom of Lake Pleasant, Arizona.
It is deep enough that you need diving equipment to see it, and he is chained up.
That is going to confuse people one day.

Re the lion-man figure, I wondered if it represented a man wea a lion skin asa trophy, the arm stripes representing each kill?

Back