• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

three spirits

spowfy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
When I was about three years old I had an experience that affects me severely to this day. It happened in a house in Clerkenwell London in about 1974. I was lying in bed and as I remember I had my eyes open. In my bedroom behind me was a chest of drawers (I think it was yellow) and behind that my fairly newly born brother was asleep in his cot (He was born at home). As I lay there I saw three spirits floating above the chest of drawers behind me. My memory of this is strange in that I think I saw the scene as if from above or at leasI think I did because the spirits were behind me yet I could see them. Anyway these 3 spirits looked like cylindrical swirly gaseous objects maybe 7-8 inches high and floating just above the chest of drawers in a row next to each other. My memory is vague now but I believe they were of not to vivid (i.e pastely) colours, and each one was a slightly different colour. As they floated there they told me that they were now in control of my life and that I had to do as they wanted. That was it. I remember little else if anything about what immediately preceeded or proceeded this experience. All I know is that I still think they may exist and at times I really believe they exist and are still controlling my life (i.e. what will happen to me and others I know and love etc.) Just wondering if anyone anywhere out there has had a similar experience.

Hi spowfy, (Welcome to the boards. :) ) wow, that sounds like a really scary and upsetting experiance. My first thought as I was reading through your post was deceased relatives come to see the new born. However, reading on, I don't think any relative would say something like that?! Unless, there tone? If it was said in a kind way they might have ment being your guardian angels? If sinister though...Have you ever consulted anyone like a medium about this? And do you think these 'spirits' controll your life in a good way or bad? Do you fell they hold you to ransom in some way like if you don't do this....this will happen?
Sorry about all the questions, I just wanted to get a clearer picture, hope they're coherant!lol The hour is late...

This is totally weird! My brother had an occurance where three faces appeared in the drapes of our room and told him something about the future before fading away... who are the three?

The Greek Fates spring to mind. I had a look at 'Moirae' in Wikipedia and it makes very interesting reading Spowfy considering your experience and the fact that your newly born brother was in the room with you. I'm not sure if it will settle your mind about your experience though. It must have been a very disturbing experience for you to still feel the effects of it today.

Definately go and see a few mediums, I suggest asking them if they can tell you anything about your spirit guides and see if they come up with anything that matches. I'm sure these spirits meant no harm and just wanted to let you know you are being guided through your life.

cassandra78 said:
Definately go and see a few mediums, I suggest asking them if they can tell you anything about your spirit guides and see if they come up with anything that matches.
If you do, don't tell them anything about your experience, let it all come from them. (A good medium won't probe you verbally anyway, but is more likely to tell you what he/she sees about you.)

If you don't understand what I mean, we have threads here on Cold Reading, and no doubt Google would turn up even more info.

In brief, don't let them echo your own ideas and experiences in such a way that you (unwittingly) say, "Yeah, that's right!"

There are lots of shysters out there.

I don't think we should take anomalous entities of any sort at face value. If a humanoid lands in your garden and announces that it is from Mars, it ain't necessarily so. If a 10-ft-tall Lemurian tells you that a giant tidal wave is going to sink England beneath the Altlantic next summer, it ain't necessarily so. And if three swirly spirits appear in your bedroom and tell you that they control your life - well then, why exactly should you believe them?

graylien said:
If three swirly spirits appear in your bedroom and tell you that they control your life - well then, why exactly should you believe them?
Ebenezer Scrooge believed them, and he turned out OK in the end.

akaWiintermoon said:
If it was said in a kind way they might have ment being your guardian angels? If sinister though...Have you ever consulted anyone like a medium about this? And do you think these 'spirits' controll your life in a good way or bad? Do you fell they hold you to ransom in some way like if you don't do this....this will happen?
Sorry about all the questions, I just wanted to get a clearer picture, hope they're coherant!lol The hour is late...

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions I don't think it was said in a kind way, it was sort of matter-of-fact like I think. Also I do feel they hold me to ransom so that if I don't do a certain thing (or do do a certain thing) a bad thing will happen.

rynner said:
cassandra78 said:
Definately go and see a few mediums, I suggest asking them if they can tell you anything about your spirit guides and see if they come up with anything that matches.
If you do, don't tell them anything about your experience, let it all come from them. (A good medium won't probe you verbally anyway, but is more likely to tell you what he/she sees about you.)

If you don't understand what I mean, we have threads here on Cold Reading, and no doubt Google would turn up even more info.

In brief, don't let them echo your own ideas and experiences in such a way that you (unwittingly) say, "Yeah, that's right!"

There are lots of shysters out there.

That's true enough. I went to see a medium for a tarot reading about ten yeras ago and was resolute not to give anything away. She even managed to tell me stuff about my family, but it would have been absolutely pointless if I'd given her any clues. I got an accurate reading, most of the stuff she said was going to happen, happened.

Just wondering, since they told you to do as they wanted, have they actually told you to do anything since?

razorblimp said:
Just wondering, since they told you to do as they wanted, have they actually told you to do anything since?

It's strange and may make me seem a bit mad although I have been told by several professional therapists that I am not. What happens is that I get a feeling that I must do (or not do) some action etc. or else something bad will happen and I think it may be these spirits that are doing this (I don't hear voices!)

One extreme example happened a few years ago when I tried to resist a particular "instruction" but in the end had to give in and do it; the result unfortunately only re-inforced my belief in the spirits etc. What happened was this:

I was staying at my mum's house and a friend of hers phoned up very concerned because my mum had meant to meet her a while ago but hadn't turned-up. I was very concerned that she may have been in a car crash so I tried to find her new mobile number. She had just bought it and the box was lying around. I was looking through some papers that ewre in or next to the box and I picked up a piece of folded paper and opened it, it was blank so I went to put it down and carry on looking for the number but I had a thought that if I didn't look at the paper again then my mum would have died in a car crash and the only way to have stopped this having happened was to look at the paper again (this was the instruction) I was determined not ot give in and carried on looking for the number which I found. I phoned my mum's mobile but the call could not be detected. I started panicking and realised that had she been in a car crash then the police would probably be turning-up any minute to give the news. With this I went to the window to look for a police car. My mum lives in a square and as I stood looking out of the window a police car pulled up at the give way line to enter the square. I saw one of the two policemen (the passenger) look around then the car moved off into the square and pulled-up right out side the house. At this point I was so scared and sure that something had happened that I ran to the room htat had the piece of paper in it and opened it up and looked at it to try and prevent my mum having just died but didn't think it would do any good. I then went back to the window and saw the police sitiing in the car. I was so scared that I decided I would rather go and meet the police then wait fotr them to come and ring on the door-bell. I can't remember if I went out or just went back to the window one last time, but sa I looked at them in the car they just suddenly pulled off and drove to the other side of the square where there is a large modern institution where I think they got out. So in my mind I had somehow altered the outcome. I know some might say that if the police had turned-up to say she had died then how could this be undone. I don't know, perhaps my action forced me into a parrallel universe where a police car had just very oddly got lost and mistaken a terraced georgian house for a large 60s built institution, I don't know but it re-inforced my belief.

I have the same thing, so I understand what you have to go through. It's pretty much OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) where if I do or don't do something a certain way something will or won't happen.

tonyblair11 said:
I have the same thing, so I understand what you have to go through. It's pretty much OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) where if I do or don't do something a certain way something will or won't happen.

I have been told I have OCD; but do you have a belief system around your OCD (i.e. like with me thinking some super-natural force/ the three spirits are the mechanism for making bad things happen if I don't do or do do certain things) or do you just have a belief that if you do or don't do something a certain way something will or won't happen without a theory as to why?

I have spoken to people with OCD and they don't have any belief system/theory, they just do the OCD compulsions and don't seem to think about how it might work.

It's more like a quantum mechanics thing where thoughts and actions can influence or change things at a distance. I'm not sure and usually don't think that there are higher powers\entitys that act out if I do or don't somethimg a certain way. But, I can't say they arn't there because I don't have any experience with them. If you know what I mean. :)

spowfy said:
tonyblair11 said:

I have been told I have OCD; but do you have a belief system around your OCD (i.e. like with me thinking some super-natural force/ the three spirits are the mechanism for making bad things happen if I don't do or do do certain things) or do you just have a belief that if you do or don't do something a certain way something will or won't happen without a theory as to why?

I have spoken to people with OCD and they don't have any belief system/theory, they just do the OCD compulsions and don't seem to think about how it might work.

Surely there are different types of OCD sufferers, some of whom will be unique in their beliefs. A large percentage of the population accepts everything as is, so you could well be in the minority that doesn't.

spowfy said:
When I was about three years old I had an experience that affects me severely to this day. It happened in a house in Clerkenwell London in about 1974. I was lying in bed and as I remember I had my eyes open. In my bedroom behind me was a chest of drawers (I think it was yellow) and behind that my fairly newly born brother was asleep in his cot (He was born at home). As I lay there I saw three spirits floating above the chest of drawers behind me. My memory of this is strange in that I think I saw the scene as if from above or at leasI think I did because the spirits were behind me yet I could see them. Anyway these 3 spirits looked like cylindrical swirly gaseous objects maybe 7-8 inches high and floating just above the chest of drawers in a row next to each other. My memory is vague now but I believe they were of not to vivid (i.e pastely) colours, and each one was a slightly different colour. As they floated there they told me that they were now in control of my life and that I had to do as they wanted. That was it. I remember little else if anything about what immediately preceeded or proceeded this experience. All I know is that I still think they may exist and at times I really believe they exist and are still controlling my life (i.e. what will happen to me and others I know and love etc.) Just wondering if anyone anywhere out there has had a similar experience.

Very interesting.

Could be possibly (this is just a theory, but perhaps a point of discussion also) that what you saw was light perhaps reflected off a car window and shone through your window against the wall, but to you it looked like it was just above the drawers, given your focus on the anomaly your perhaps weren't aware of this at the time (could have been any sort of light source, the sun catching a neighbours window as they opened it then reflected through your window, any amount of things). the strangeness of this vision then could have prompted over time the embelleshment (and by embelleshment I don't mean to imply that you're lying or you made it up... well in part you made it up but not maliciously as in lying but in rationalising what you saw) and attributed a voice and a message that reflected your bewilderment or fear at the time you saw it. I say this because I had a similar experience when I was a boy (but mine was somewhat different as it involved a black bear stood on a rooftop. I didn't understand this was actually one of those rooftop ventilation shafts you get, but to me as a child it looked like a black bear... frightened me and I could swear it was roaring, though I suspect now, years later, that much in the same way false memory works, the sound was an embelleshment caused by me wanting to make sense of what I saw).

So, in short, a child's mind is one full of imagination, but possibly because it's a mind subject to rationalising that which it doesn't understand.

ghostdog19 said:
spowfy said:

Very interesting.

Could be possibly (this is just a theory, but perhaps a point of discussion also) that what you saw was light perhaps reflected off a car window and shone through your window against the wall, but to you it looked like it was just above the drawers, given your focus on the anomaly your perhaps weren't aware of this at the time (could have been any sort of light source, the sun catching a neighbours window as they opened it then reflected through your window, any amount of things). the strangeness of this vision then could have prompted over time the embelleshment (and by embelleshment I don't mean to imply that you're lying or you made it up... well in part you made it up but not maliciously as in lying but in rationalising what you saw) and attributed a voice and a message that reflected your bewilderment or fear at the time you saw it. I say this because I had a similar experience when I was a boy (but mine was somewhat different as it involved a black bear stood on a rooftop. I didn't understand this was actually one of those rooftop ventilation shafts you get, but to me as a child it looked like a black bear... frightened me and I could swear it was roaring, though I suspect now, years later, that much in the same way false memory works, the sound was an embelleshment caused by me wanting to make sense of what I saw).

So, in short, a child's mind is one full of imagination, but possibly because it's a mind subject to rationalising that which it doesn't understand.

I do understand where you are coming from, but I can say that I really don't think this is what happened. Firstly the spirits' forms were very unique (each a swirling gaseous mass contained within the limits of a cylindrical shape), and they each floated above the chest of drawers; I can understand mistaking a far away shape that due to its distance has to all practial purposes lost its 3-dimensional placing in space for something else , but these very clearly had a 3D placing just above and behind my head, so a ray of light on a wall would not have had this 3D placement.

Also the memory of seeing them and the memory of them telling me they were going to control my life from then on have always been one and the same memory, not a later embelishment.

Also when I was younger I used to wake-up from bad dreams and go up to my parents room. On the way up the stairs I could see on the white stiarcase walls, almost as if they were projected there, the characters from my dreams/nightmares; however I never embelished them into any other meaning, as far as I was concerned I could just see my dreams as I walked up the stairs on the white walls (They faded when I passed a darker object such as a door!).

Firstly the spirits' forms were very unique (each a swirling gaseous mass contained within the limits of a cylindrical shape)

There are other reports of similar apparitions here on the FTMB; I'll see if I can dig them up!

Leaferne said:
Firstly the spirits' forms were very unique (each a swirling gaseous mass contained within the limits of a cylindrical shape)

There are other reports of similar apparitions here on the FTMB; I'll see if I can dig them up!

There was a "cylinder ghost" famously seen at the Tower of London one night in 1817.

spowfy said:
I do understand where you are coming from, but I can say that I really don't think this is what happened. Firstly the spirits' forms were very unique (each a swirling gaseous mass contained within the limits of a cylindrical shape), and they each floated above the chest of drawers; I can understand mistaking a far away shape that due to its distance has to all practial purposes lost its 3-dimensional placing in space for something else , but these very clearly had a 3D placing just above and behind my head, so a ray of light on a wall would not have had this 3D placement.

Also the memory of seeing them and the memory of them telling me they were going to control my life from then on have always been one and the same memory, not a later embelishment.

Also when I was younger I used to wake-up from bad dreams and go up to my parents room. On the way up the stairs I could see on the white stiarcase walls, almost as if they were projected there, the characters from my dreams/nightmares; however I never embelished them into any other meaning, as far as I was concerned I could just see my dreams as I walked up the stairs on the white walls (They faded when I passed a darker object such as a door!).
You see, it's the tremendous detail which suggests embellishment... details re-affirm the memory over the years. The memory itself is often, over such a period of time, a distortion, something not subject to clarity and yet we lend clarity to it when describing it to others, further embellishing it with realising. Sort of a 'false memory trick' as it where, but not to say it didn't happen, but that it happened and over time it's interpretation and meaning has evolved as it were. Also, as an adult, your descriptive powers are somewhat more developed. This could also mean you rationalise it now perhaps for what it really was (I wouldn't rule that out).

I think its time to stop believing that these three spirits are controlling your life.

One approach would be to find a more friendly spirit or an established religious figure who can get rid of these beings for you. (eg; God, buddha Gaia, a saint, an angel) You don't have to spend the rest of your life feeling that you are helpless against these spirits and have to do what they say.

Leaferne said:

That would be very kind of you, thanks

Back