• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Three-Wheeled Cars

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Danny Baker mentioned on his podcast today, about a spate of unknown gangs (or maybe just one gang) who in South London turned three-wheeler cars onto their roofs for a brief period about fifty years ago. Apparently it was reported in newspapers. It stopped as soon as it began, and no culprits were found. Anyone know any more?

Danny Baker mentioned on his podcast today, about a spate of unknown gangs (or maybe just one gang) who in South London turned three-wheeler cars onto their roofs for a brief period about fifty years ago. Apparently it was reported in newspapers. It stopped as soon as it began, and no culprits were found. Anyone know any more?

Don't recall that, but I enjoyed watching Jeremy Clarkson demonstrate what a poorly designed car the Robin Reliant was. Why the hell didn't they do the sensible thing and have the two wheels at the front?

We have a neighbour who is an irascible old girl who looks after the waters for an angling club on a lake literally 100M from her home. She used to drive a reliant and the local kids used to tip it regularly because she used to wind them up so much.
It always made me chuckle to come out in the morning and see it on its side or upside down. She did bring it on herself!

I remember this being a 'thing' talked about back in the late 1980's - never saw it done myself - it was a common prank conversational meme. I also remember the vehicles being called "plastic pigs"!

Don't recall that, but I enjoyed watching Jeremy Clarkson demonstrate what a poorly designed car the Robin Reliant was. Why the hell didn't they do the sensible thing and have the two wheels at the front?

There were even worse things you could do with three wheels - I present the Scott Sociable:

1597526560298.png

And the Bond Minicar - only looks mildly more crazy than a Robin , you think?

1597526891135.png

What is not apparent in the picture is that it was powered - at least the one my friend had back around 1970 - by a tiny Villiers two stroke engine of I think 250cc. It was attached to the front wheel and steered with it, by means of a coupe of wires You started it by opening the bonnet, climbing in, and using the kick starter. If you wanted to go backwards you stopped the engine, flipped the kickstarter and started it the other way. Max speed 45 with wind assistance, but all three speeds also available in reverse.

Three of us used to go and watch Raleigh Rockets speedway in it (two of us were too young to drive even a moped)

And then there was the night we forgot and poured the two stroke oil in first before the petrol. Destroyers making smoke wasn't in it.

I went to Knebworth in 1979 in the back of a Reliant three wheel van. I think we had six people in it, my memory is a bit hazy as someone had brought a couple of gallon size containers of scrumpy.

There was a four-wheel version of the Reliant Robin but it never sold well. Possibly calling it the 'Kitten' didn't help. A pity though because it was quite a sensible car for the ultra-economy minded. Cheaper to run than a Mini, less barmy than the 2CV.

Last edited:
I recall as a kid a collision involving a Reliant and a motorbike. The bike hit the car and turned it on its side.

There were even worse things you could do with three wheels - I present the Scott Sociable:

View attachment 28925

There was a four-wheel version of the Reliant Robin but it never sold well. Possibly calling it the 'Kitten' didn't help. A pity though because it was quite a sensible car for the ultra-economy minded. Cheaper to run than a Mini, less barmy than the 2CV.

Oi! A won't hear a word against the 2CV!
I owned two of them in my younger days.
Loved the roll-back canvas roof and the general retro look. Cheap as chips to run - very high mpg and lowest insurance group.
Plenty of room too for my guitar, didgeridoo and cricket gear.

View attachment 28925

A) WTF why oh why is the front wheel offset?
B) The 2CV was a clever bit of design, with a proper factory making it. The kitten was not great. I’ve owned a reliant scimitar so I know something of their “quality”. Like a TVR but even more shit.

Oi! A won't hear a word against the 2CV!
I owned two of them in my younger days.
Loved the roll-back canvas roof and the general retro look. Cheap as chips to run - very high mpg and lowest insurance group.
Plenty of room too for my guitar, didgeridoo and cricket gear.
There's nothing actually wrong with being barmy, I've had two of them. And several Citroen GSA's. I only gave up on the GSA's about 10 years ago because getting the hydraulics repaired had become impossibly expensive. 40mpg at a sustained 80mph, room for five people, and reasonable luggage space - if you had the estate version you could stick a fridge or a washing machine in the back - or a wardrobe if only two of you were travelling.

2CV's certainly have the edge on all the other extreme economy cars when it comes to carrying grandfather clocks or goats :)

I am a petrolhead, but actually I think there is more skill in driving a good small car fast in this country than swanning around in 'the Jag'. But I've also had a Jag...

A) WTF why oh why is the front wheel offset?
B) The 2CV was a clever bit of design, with a proper factory making it. The kitten was not great. I’ve owned a reliant scimitar so I know something of their “quality”. Like a TVR but even more shit.
There is a Scimitar mouldering in a field near me. . And another one in a nearby village has only disappeared in the last few months.

Avoid the last few years of 2CV production when they were built in Portugal out of recycled tin cans - well that's what it seems like. Actually if you can find one a Dyane is substantially better and only slightly less barmy.

Last edited:
There is a Scimitar mouldering in a field near me. . And another one in a nearby village has only disappeared in the last few months.
In a way I loved mine but the bits that are terrible are the reliant bits. Chassis, axle, engine and gearbox - great but sourced from Ford etc. Bodywork, interior, seats etc are reliant and disintegrate rapidly. The glass fibre panels have interior metal stiffness which rust and expand cracking up the panels and changing the panel fit. Corvettes suffer a similar fate.

Thinking about it, there would be plenty of small cars you could turn upside down back then - a Volkswagen Beetle, for instance - if you had enough determined people. I wonder why 3-wheelers were picked on specifically? Vehicular snobbery?

In a way I loved mine but the bits that are terrible are the reliant bits. Chassis, axle, engine and gearbox - great but sourced from Ford etc. Bodywork, interior, seats etc are reliant and disintegrate rapidly. The glass fibre panels have interior metal stiffness which rust and expand cracking up the panels and changing the panel fit. Corvettes suffer a similar fate.
I knew that about Corvettes, which was why back in the day I had a Pontiac Firebird. Not very practical but looked gorgeous. And most of the external panels were some sort of bendy plastic which you couldn't damage with a shopping trolley, the exception being the rear wings which were load bearing and made of some more-than-normally-thick steel.

I'll try and dig out a picture, though probably this part of the convo should be relocated to some petrolhead thread somewhere - there is bound to be one.

Thinking about it, there would be plenty of small cars you could turn upside down back then - a Volkswagen Beetle, for instance - if you had enough determined people. I wonder why 3-wheelers were picked on specifically? Vehicular snobbery?
The three-wheelers were very light, much lighter than a Beetle. And a Beetle might be driven by someone young and fit enough to dispute the issue - unlikely with a Reliant.

I don't like Beetles - I can't really understand why people do.

I think they were just easy to tip. I recall in my teens seeing one going around a corner on two wheels grinding the front bodywork then righting itself.
The bond bug seemed more planted by comparison. It may not have been in reality but the consensus was that it could be driven in a more spirited manner.

Thanks for the explanations. It sounds like the 3-wheelers were mischief magnets.

Whenever I used to visit one of my friends their backyard was always full of 3 wheeled cars.
He was forever collecting them( amongst other things) and always seemed to be working on them but I never actually saw one that was working.

What a crappy car! No wonder they don't sell them now.
Funny that Phil Oakey should be walking past at the time.

The main advantage of 3-wheelers is that you can drive them on a motorbike licence (if you don't have a reverse gear, for some reason)

When I was kid I thought the Bond Bug was futuristic looking vehicle.
1597594699583.png

There was a company that turned a bunch of them into 4 wheel jobs.

1597594774123.png

But Reliant also made 4 wheel version of the Robin. It was called the Reliant Kitten. I saw one that had a 3 litre engine once.

Fibreglass body so they didn't rust. Except for the chassis. Probably rotten as a peach now.
1597595031803.png

I suppose it's the equivalent of motorbike and sidecar with the three wheels.

With 3 wheels you can drive it with a motorcycle licence, with 4 you need a car licence.

Absolutely - a Robin was treated as a motorbike with a side-car (hence two wheels at the back). It was warm (ish) in winter and the rain, room for shopping or fishing tackle, the fibreglass chassis didn't rust and the engine was fairly simple to maintain. Yes you could tip it, just like a bike with side-car, but it takes a Clarkson-size oaf with no driving skill to do so. Best bit is my friend bought one fourth-hand in 1981, ran it for 18 months and sold it for £20 more than she paid for it.

In the late 1960s, my mother had an old Heinkel Trojan bubble car. 2 wheels at the front, 1 driven wheel at the back. No reverse gear, and the only access was through the front, climbing in and out past the steering wheel. Aged 7, I had to push it some distance while my mum was steering after it broke down. On another occasion, my grandfather was able to lift one side to tip it to examine what he thought might be the fault. I was sitting in it at the time.

There was a local legend of an unpopular teacher who arrived at work in one, and a gang of youths picked it up and turned it face to the wall before he could get out. With no reverse gear, and the door opening forwards, he was trapped.

A chap who lived near me had a Messerschmidt 3 wheeler: 2 wheels at the front, 1 at the back, and with room for one passenger who sat immediately behind the driver. To my mind, as a kid, it was not unlike a plane fuselage on wheels.

One of my dad's friends had a Reliant Supervan: 2 driven wheels at the back, 1 steered wheel at the front. It was a faded milk chocolate colour. I went in it a time or two. He explained that he could drive it on a motorcycle licence because it had no reverse gear. It was one of those older single men's cars, kneed deep in cigarette packets and sweet wrappers.

A group of local bikers also had a Supervan. They painted a confederate flag taking up the whole roof, in true Dukes of Hazard style. (In those days, the confederate flag was thought of in England as "the rebel flag" and was associated with rock and roll music, and had no associations with slavery. Times have moved on and I would no longer war one myself, although I used to, perfectly innocently.

My dad was walking home from the pub one night and the Dukes of Hazard Supervan came past at high speed (probably 30 or 40 mph!) took a hard left turn, flipped and rolled a couple of times. It ended up on its roof. The occupants got out, turned it the right way up by hand and continued on their journey.

We referred to them as "plastic pigs". There was a spate of torching them in the late 1970s. (I was not involved.) At the same time, there was another cheap small car, 4 wheeled, made by DAF. Someone went round the local area with a brush and some silver paint editing them to say "DAFT".

I remember Bond Bugs. They were ugly things. They were a bit of a craze at that time, along with VW-engined "beach buggies". I lived in Nottingham at the time which is a good 2 hours or more from the nearest beach!

My second car was a Citroen 2CV6, bright red. 602 cc horizontally opposed flat twin, capable of 80 mph with a good run up. It's still the car I remember most fondly. The gear change was like a walking stick coming horizontally out of the dashboard. 1st gear was where you would expect 2nd, and reverse was where you would expect 1st. My then wife made the obvious mistake when doing a hill start once and scared the guy in the car behind half to death.

You could get a tandem inside the 2CV, although with the front wheel taken off. You could take the back bench seat and the front seats out easily to sit on them for a picnic. One unsuspected benefit of the design was that, at a feeble 10 stone, I was able to lift the back end by the bumper and walk it round 45 degrees one day when I was boxed in in a car park.

Another car of the time was the original Fiat 500. Tiny, lightweight, and charismatic, it had a full length fabric roof to save weight, not as an extra! It was not at all like the retro fashion statement of the modern Fiat 500.

The world has moved on, but there was a special charm to the gloriously quirky cars of that time. They shouldn't have worked, but they did.

And yes, everyone said "Robin Reliant" and the were, and remain, wrong!

Great post, @Mikefule ! Sounds like they attracted the, shall we say, novelty minded, in body as well as spirit.

Ooer, a Messerschmidt 3 wheeler featured in the regular Granada TV item 'Where's Fred?' in which the eponymous presenter would appear in various areas of northwest England.
Sadly, the likeable Fred turned out to be a predatory paedophile former teacher who had mercilessly abused the young teenage boys in his charge.

A neighbour of ours ran what was known as a 'Bubble Car' back in the day and he did indeed become trapped in his garage when it rolled forward. The story goes that he was there a couple of hours because his wife enjoyed the peace and quiet.

One of my exes owned a Bond Bug. They could be driven on a full motorbike licence and he was a biker so when he was offered one he snapped it up.
Not a pleasant ride! You could take the top off on hot days but you'd need to wear a scarf over your face and goggles, and you got sprayed with road debris by passing trucks.

A next door neighbour of mine in the '80s copped a driving ban for being carried as a passenger in one of those blue 'invalid carriages'.
His mate was giving him a lift, illegally of course, and lost control and crashed it. Neighbour said the bodywork sort of exploded into about a million pieces, leaving him and the driver sprawled across the chassis with nowhere to hide!

The Mirror, a by-word for reliable reporting, has a story of the sale of the Reliant Regal van featured in "Only Fools and Horses" - under the headline of "Del Boy's Robin Reliant sells for double the expected amount ..."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/del-boys-robin-reliant-sells-11515569

A replica of it is sometimes seen around these parts, complete with two blokes done up as Del Boy and Rodney. You can have your photo taken with it at charity events.

Back