• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Slips

Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
LOST IN TIME

Some time ago I was driving through a very familiar part of town when suddenly I found myself in a completly unfamiliar area, after a few twists and turns I got back on to my original route, after retracing my route I guese I had taken a wrong turn at a roundabout but I simply dont remember doing it.
Has anyone else had this kind of expierience?:madeyes:

i think the kind of experience you are talking about is sorta like when you read a book but you are thinking about something else, but you know you read every single word, but you just don't remember it.
i have that all the time, even in everyday life, my body just responds while my brain sleeps, lol like someimes i'll be out in my car in the mornings all ready to go, wheni don't even remember going there, i just sorta naturaly go there its weird. lol either that or i'm just strange.

Yeah I had the same thing happen in Manchester in the 80's. I was driving in a built up Council estate and suddenly found myself in a large countryside area, I eventually found my destination but was so fed up with "getting lost" in an area I was brought up with I tried to retrace my steps but I could not! But I must say that I would like to know who the Zombie is who drives my car to work at least once a week and may well have been driving at the beginning of the above! I find it incredibly scary arriving at the carpark at work and NOT remembering a thing since I was putting the car into 4th gear! Believe me I have tried really hard to remember but there appears to be nothing there it was not me.

I've had some time dilation effects too, but not involving ending up somewhere. Several times I've looked at my watch, noticed the time on buildings etc and thought, 'wait a minute, I'm sure i looked at the time x minutes ago and it was y o'clock.' It can be quite disconcerting, as though you've been tricked somehow. This hapens mostly in cities, where the poresence of clocks is more obvious. on some of these occasions I feel as though i've been somwhere in between, but can't remember where.

quite scary really!

Well, I can't explain how you got lost but I can explain why a lot of people experience this "time loss". It's called "state-dependant memory" and what it is is memory which is affected by the state in which you're driving in. For example, if you're in Michigan, you will lose 5 hours.

Okay, okay, i'm kidding around.

Actually state-dependant memory is memory acquired in a different state of conciousness than you're in now and so basically memories of those events will reappear when you got into the same mind state you were in when you were driving.

disimilar but plausibley relevant

Well I wasn't walking anywhere, I was working in an old house where I used to care for two people. I was upstairs in a room checking through my laundry (too much info? suppose you're right) Anyway I looked up and into a mirror and to my surprise I saw a small child lying on a bed in the room. She was blonde and very pale about four years old. She was breathing heavily.

Immediatley I turned to look to the bed where there was nothing. She'd gone. But I knew she could never have been there as no children occupied this house. anyway to cut a long long long story short after some time I had a discussion with the lady who owned the house for the past 80 or so years and she told me her older sister had died of 'consumption' (TB) on that bed some 80 odd years previous.

When I'd seen her it was as if I was transported back to the day she'd been dying and as I'd realised I was sent back. I dunno what really happened but time was lost that day.

"Through a chink too wide, there comes in no wonder". -Austin Clarke

also...

I'm not trying to say anyone hear is ill but one of the effects of an aura in an petit mal epileptic is time loss, if time loss happens to you a lot perhaps this may be a reason. A very common history from epileptic sufferers who accidendally wander in front of moving traffic is they have lost time as in the gent above with the algebraic watch. (nice watch I'd like one with x and y but mine only has numbers)

I get that as well: I'm driving to work and don't remember anything about getting in my car, starting it or anything along the way! I just find myself at work......

I was watching a BBC2 TV programme last night about how people arrange malls, supermarkets etc to make the consumer buy more products. It was interesting as one 'expert' said that we have two modes of thought alpha and beta (assumedly connected with rythmns). Alpha mode is interactive, conscious, attentive to detail. Beta is subconscious, learned and requires little attention to ones surroundings. Apparently supermarket shoppers are usually doing so in beta mode (this is apparent from behavious, eye movement etc.) I don't know why beta mode is active, but I guess because it's a repetitive task - like driving to work. This would explain some people's experiences of time loss - your mind is in a semi-trance state, and especially if you're tires/stressed etc. But it doesn't explain my particular case, as usually I was in unusual surroundings, where I was very aware of what was going on around me (at least when I noticed the time change...)

just some food for thought (aisle five, next to the soup)

I think I may have experienced something similar seven years ago when my Mum came to visit me....

Here's the story :

It was an autumn day and we decided to go for a drive in the countryside close to my home... We both have a liking for old ruined buildings, achitectural follies & derelict churches - that sort of thing, so imagine our delight when we turned a corner to find an old derelict house !

This was too much to resist, so we pulled the car over and went to have a nose around ..... It was a lovely old place, with what would have been a nice facade, five windows and a door facing the road and a very pretty roof with small terracotta tiles. It was autumn, so I couldn't tell for definate, but it appeared to be covered in some sort of Virginia Creeper that has lost all it's leaves... It was so neglected though - the windows had no glass and some of the tiles were coming off the roof..

Anyway, we liked the place, and luckily I had my camera, so I took a picture of my Mum standing outside the house (I've still got this at home somewhere).. but the strangest thing was that however many times in subsequent months and years I have driven along that road since (I know the area very well) I have never found the house again or any evidence of it having been there at all !!

I assume from your location that this happened in Cornwall, I spend a lot of time there and would love to know the rough location...Ill be there next week as it happens.:)

A lot of these stories of lost time seem to be related to driving. This is a subject that interests me and I've watched a few TV programes about it and spoken to a few proffesional drivers.

It turns out that a lot of the job of driving is done by the sub-consious rather than the consious mind. Studies have shown that the human brain can't react fast enough to react after something happens when driving at speed. Thus the sub-consious mind deals with what is happening now and the consious mind deals with what might happen in the near future. So you start reacting to a driving emergency before it has actually happened.

When driving in ordinary traffic this emergency tactic is usually not needed so the consious mind drifts into a semi-dream state ready to come back 'on line' at a moment's notice should an emergency occur.

The best example that I can site of this comes from one of my brothers who used to be a Taxi driver. On a couple of occasions when he was working the night shift he suddenly became consious of the fact that he was driving. That is suddenly the 'work' of driving came back under consious control and he couldn't remember how to drive. It was all he could do to get the car to the side of the road in one piece.

I think that we totaly underestimate how much of our lives are lived bellow the consious level.

Cujo
(The annoying thing is that my sub-concious both spells and types better than I do.)

Cujo said:
...On a couple of occasions when he was working the night shift he suddenly became consious of the fact that he was driving. That is suddenly the 'work' of driving came back under consious control and he couldn't remember how to drive...

I once forgot how to change gear, and the more I tried to remember the worse I got. I'm surprised my gearbox survived. I thought I was going mad, but last year I was a little taken aback to read an article written by the mother of a guy who died of CJD. Apparently, the first symptom of his disease was that he couldn't remember how to change gear...

Originally posted by Cujo

The best example that I can site of this comes from one of my brothers who used to be a Taxi driver. On a couple of occasions when he was working the night shift he suddenly became consious of the fact that he was driving. That is suddenly the 'work' of driving came back under consious control and he couldn't remember how to drive. It was all he could do to get the car to the side of the road in one piece.

I've had a similar experience to this, I've been driving an automatic for many years but on this occasion I suddenly thought I was driving a manual, after a few seconds of panic everything snapped back to normal.:confused:

There was the instance recorded on that Michael Aspel prorgramme about 'the Unexplained' a while back (but I've also read about it somewhere) about two married couples on a motoring holiday through France who come across an old-fashioned inn, have a meal there, stay the night for an incredibly low cost. On the way back to England they look for the inn because the food was so good and it was so cheap, but can't find it anywhere, only a ruin which was once an inn. The people telling the tale seem quite down-to-earth types, but what puzzles me about this story is the fact that they actually stayed at this inn, ate the food, spoke to the landlord, etc, etc. Shades of the Ladies at Le Petit Trianon:confused: :confused:
Carole

These major time-slip stories cannot be put down to a
lapse of concentration.

The Olde Frenche Inne tale has been reprinted in a lot of
books - mainly the ones I read standing in the bookshop.

The details which were left vague were the currency they
paid in and who parked the car for them.

There is also a story about a writer who nipped out to buy something
in Brighton and bought something unlikely from a long lost shop.
(Sorry, that is not a very good story, but I couldn't take notes.)

The book by the ladies who experienced a timeslip at Verseilles
is online free and complete somewhere. I swear I found it the other
night. But I can't find it now. :eek:

I am intrigued by a number of stories of phantom cottages which
people cannot find later, or find as ancient ruins. This genre has
really rooted in the States, where the house is usually an ancient
mansion of decaying grandeur. Hundreds of variants on Ghost
Sites. An urban myth or happening all the time? :cool:

Oops, timeslip

James Whitehead said:
I am intrigued by a number of stories of phantom cottages which
people cannot find later, or find as ancient ruins. This genre has
really rooted in the States, where the house is usually an ancient
mansion of decaying grandeur. Hundreds of variants on Ghost
Sites. An urban myth or happening all the time?

Timeslips occurring in remote places... A bit like alien abductions, really, and Jenny Randles' time storms. BTW - "Time Storms" is a worthwhile read (although frustratingly brief) and presents a number of interesting timeslip / alternate reality case histories, including the ever-popular 'Disappearance of Peter' and my favourite, the old woman who witnessed what appeared to be an event from the future and subsequently found that the street where she'd seen it had changed impossibly. I think (although I can't be sure without checking) that it's JR who observes somewhat wryly that a disproportionate number of group-witnessed time slips in the modern age tend to occur during barbecues.

It's the old story of 'catching a ball' - an act wholy dependent on unconscious control, a learned and file-away system we depend upon but rarely reflect in wonder upon. If you think about it, the the physics of the ball in flight and the eye-hand co-ordination & movement necessary to catch it is impressively complext. And yet toss a ball to someone unsuspecting, and that ball is invariably apprehended without thought.
Same with driving - once a familiar action is 'learned' by the conscious faculties, that knowledge or processing ability is passed to and automatically tended by the unconcious - that greater font of personality, imagination, and autonomous ability that is the body of the iceberg of the mind.
It is no coincidence that many 'paranormal' states are realised, or accessed, in the unconscious state, especially the 'highway hypnosis' states of night-driving over familiar routes. Where the conscious mind is switched off or overloaded by sensory familiarity, the unconscious wells up, and the percipient's experience is likely to consist of a combination of conscious and unconscious sense data - giving rise to road ghost encounters, landed UFO encounters, etc, etc.
The same mechanism can be easily evoked in 'oridinary' ghost encounters, where the necessity for the witness to be preoccupied and unsuspecting (unconscious, 'though still 'awake') is an important feature. Many many ghost encounters involve persons looking up from the tv, or a book, etc to see a figure standing there - which vanishes as soon as it is consciously. [i.e. critically] observed.
The mechanism may even help find understanding with Time Slips, etc, or visions of past & future.
However, having said all this, I freely concede that the above is too simplistic to explain many cases, esp. prolonged or multiple witness cases, or enduring details reported of phantoms by different, unconnected witnesses.
I explored the mechanism of ghost-seeing in some detail in both manuscript and website. The URL is on these threads somewhere. If anyone is further interested, I'll re-post it on request.

Here's a reply for P.younger ...

I've sent you a private message with the (supposed) location of the derelict house I mentioned in my last post !

Hope this is ok ?

Haarp,

Ps let me know if you didn't recieve the message and I will re-post !

I've had a lot of time based shenanigans over the years, but I put these down to perceptual problems. I started a thread called "James Webb and a different kind of time" when I first started posting. Just want to get this thread up and running again, its a good read folks!

nikita said:
I get that as well: I'm driving to work and don't remember anything about getting in my car, starting it or anything along the way! I just find myself at work......

I used to have that happen too. And considering that it was a 20 mile trek, it was kind of scary.

I always wondered if I had any near miss accidents.

When I did my A levels I would sit down at the beginning of the lesson with a pen and paper and wander off into a wonderful fantasy world that was far more interesting than the lesson , at the end I would have an exact copy of everything the teacher had said during the lesson with no concious memory of it all yet I knew it all too !

Haarp,

I, for one, would be most grateful if you could recover and post the picture of the "phantom" house.

I do that in my Physics lectures now- I'm writing stuff down, and I really try my damnedest to pay attention, but I invariably get a song in my head, or just start thinking about what's on TV that night, whatever. Then when I'm writing my notes up later, I realise I can never remember having actually written any of whats there down, but there it is :confused:.

I also get that when I've been asked to fill out forms for my address and phone number- later on, I can't remember having done it, although when I check I have.

This happens to me all the time, i think it goes back to when i was a kid and had several menial, repetitive jobs. I used to go out on my paper round every sunday and would often find myself back home again having completed the round and not remembered a thing about it. Then i worked in the kitchen of a restaraunt, on a busy night I would find I had washed everything up whilst my mind was wandering off on some other tangent.
I find that I can do this with any boring task quite easily, which is handy as I am between permanent jobs at the moment and temping is not known for its ability to offer a stimulating work enviroment :)

i suppose this time slip thing is also related to the feeling that you have been somewhere or have done something before when really you havn't?
I get his quite alot i usually recognise thoughts and places i have dreamt.
Any ideas what this is?

Isn't that deja vu, RoseSnape? I think that's caused by the brain storing things you're experiencing in the wrong place.

Why yes of course, you're right.
i've just noticed you live in Plymouth is that Plymouth as in Argyle? because i live just out side that Plymouth.

I do that too.

I'll remember one morining when I woke up but I realized as I went to bed that night after a fully busy day that---I can't remember a thing I did all day long....

And no,I wasn't drinking or on some kind or wierd drug--nor was I near any kind of nuculear plant.....

bizkit_1979 said:
I do that in my Physics lectures now- I'm writing stuff down, and I really try my damnedest to pay attention, but I invariably get a song in my head, or just start thinking about what's on TV that night, whatever. Then when I'm writing my notes up later, I realise I can never remember having actually written any of whats there down, but there it is :confused:.
That's the definition of a Lecture: a means of transferring notes from lecturer to student, without passing through the brain of either.

Personally, I always thought a photocopier was quicker.

Back