• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tiny Indian hominids

I found it interesting in the reply posted under the article that it mentioned Sri Lanka."'Pliny the Elder mentioned the Nittaewo as a small, hairy tribe of people living in the country of Ceylon(now known as Sri Lanka)."
One of my friends is Sri Lankan and came out in the 1970"s so she's been here awhile.
She told me that there were stories about little people where she had lived.
Apparently they hated dogs and one of theirs had been found with it's back broken by a big stick.

The Nittaewo have always fascinated me. Not least because the story of how they eventually wiped them out is pretty much identical to the story told by the people of Flores about how they dealt with the Ebu Gogo.

Fascinating linked item. I can’t help, however, noting from same, a couple of things, viz.: “The following has a certain cryptozoological feel to it: including the fact that the ‘samples’ disappeared into the ether.” And – re the governing authorities’ request for more pygmies, to replace the deceased pair which had been “deep-sixed” – the supplier replies apologetically “that these creatures came from a forest, about seventy leagues up the country, where the inhabitants catch them on the skirts of it but they were so exquisitely cunning and shy, that this scarcely happened once in a century.”

I’m ready to admit that two / three centuries and more ago, the globe was less densely populated and less explored than now, and that species including quite large and potentially conspicuous ones, could have existed then, but could have since gone extinct without ever being scientifically recognised. Nonetheless, reading the quoted stuff in the paragraph above, it’s hard not to feel: “hey, we’ve been here before, many times. Somehow, for oft-repeated reasons, end result on this scene always seems to be, zilch / zero / zippo.”

lordmongrove, I know that they lived on a tea plantation before they came out and she said there was a Buddhist temple very close. She also said that they could always tell where they had been because of the large groups of earthworms.
When I see her next I'll ask her if she remembers anything else..
I wonder if they were like that one I saw near Esperance and which the indiginous elder said lived underground. ( I reported it at the time).

And so, as he told me, it was with singular horror that one afternoon as he dozed and dreamed and opened his eyes now and again to watch the miracle and magic of the sea, as he listened to the myriad murmurs of the waves, his meditation was broken by a sudden burst of horrible raucous cries—and the cries of children, too, but children of the lowest type. Morgan says that the very tones made him shudder—"They were to the ear what slime is to the touch," and then the words: every foulness, every filthy abomination of speech; blasphemies that struck like blows at the sky, that sank down into the pure, shining depths, defiling them! He was amazed. He peered over the green wall of the fort, and there in the ditch he saw a swarm of noisome children, horrible little stunted creatures with old men's faces, with bloated faces, with little sunken eyes, with leering eyes. It was worse than uncovering a brood of snakes or a nest of worms.
Arthur Machen -- "Out of the Earth"

Lordmongrove we were going past an area near a small lake, just out of Esperence, late afternoon.
I saw this very black small figure standing near one of the trees looking out over the water. I thought at first it might be a some sort of tree but it was blacker than the bases of the trees.
I hadn't been thinking about them although when we went to the tree top walk earlier the guide had said that the local indiginous people wouldn't camp there overnight for fear of the little people.
When I told the guide at Monkey Mia he said that they lived underground and usually came out at night. He said when he camped out at night he saw them but he didn't bother them and they didn't bother him.

Isis177 said:
When I told the guide at Monkey Mia he said that they lived underground and usually came out at night.

These creatures sound exactly like the little monsters from Machen's stories!

"The Shining Pyramid" in particular. Tiny, evil, nocturnal, subterranean -- it's eerily similar.

I've just finished reading Australian Dreaming 40,000 years of aboriginal history.
Apparently there were little people called net-nets in the south east of Australia, especially in the caves near Lake Condah.
There's a report from 1932 made by an aboriginal who said one made off with a rabbit he had shot. He said that it was small and hairy with claws instead of nails.

I read that account. Auistralian Aborgionies have many accounts of little hairy men that go by a number of names such as junjudee, njmbin and waladherahra. In my book Orang Pendek: Sumatra's Forgotten Ape i write about them extensivly in a chapter on small, hairy, man-like beasts in other areas of the world (shamless plug)

Back