• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Titanic Conspiracy

This one's well worth a watch .. millions spent with a multi disciplinary team giving it the full on CSI treatment .. and the first time the full debris field has been recorded and imaged ..

*Dur dum durrr dum .. d d dum dum d d dum dum*

atitanic2.jpg

What hymn did they play as the Titanic started to go under? Daft question, I know. Everyone knows it was "Nearer, My God, to Thee." Danish composer Carl Nielsen even went so far as to compose a paraphrase on the theme, which was to be played at a benefit concert for the survivors. Performances of it on the internet are difficult to find, but if you have Spotify you can listen to it here. It's extraordinary - even though I know what's coming, it still gets me every time. I can only imagine the impact it would have had on the audience. Sadly, it seems they didn't actually get to hear it for another 3 years, since the 1912 concert was cancelled. Incidentally, I'm having a bit of a Mandela moment, because in my memory the piece ends with a straight playing of the melody, whereas none of the 3 versions I have found include that coda.

Except that Nielsen probably got the wrong melody: he based his piece on the hymn tune known as Bethany, whereas almost certainly that setting for the hymn would only have been recognised by American passengers. Passengers from Britain and other parts of the Empire would be familiar with the words as set to Horbury, and indeed that it is the setting used in the only Titanic film worthy of your attention - A Night to Remember.

Except that the band might not even have played it - it could be a garbled memory of an event that occurred during the sinking of the Valencia, in 1906, when women on a life raft were supposed to have sung it as they drifted away from the vessel. There's an engrossing discussion by David Rumsey which raises the possibility that, if the hymn was played at all, it might have been a deliberate reference to the Valencia sinking (which is, it should be noted, a nifty intertextual reference to drop when your own ship is sinking beneath you), but he also mentions another argument that, in fact, the music was most likely Archibald Joyce's Songe D'automne:

Anyway, all of this is a long-winded way of saying how moved I am that we could all be saying to each other, "We've done our duty, we can go now." And, instead, we keep playing.

Deciding to build it is just the tip of the iceberg.

"The Night Lives On" is the Word of the Lord (Walter) so Songe D'automne it is. He lived at exactly the right time to get to know old but hale and hearty survivors, and write the book that was the basis of the good
Titanic movie.

A digital recreation of a walk around inside The Titanic ..

I am supremely impressed by that. Not the technical aspects of building it - you see just as much detail and scope in current games - but the fact that a few people actually went to the trouble of recreating it in such faithful detail. The little pop-up info windows are brilliant.

I am supremely impressed by that. Not the technical aspects of building it - you see just as much detail and scope in current games - but the fact that a few people actually went to the trouble of recreating it in such faithful detail. The little pop-up info windows are brilliant.
Imagine if they did a VR helmet version of it ..

Not that I believe this conspiracy, but there
were 3 sister ships Titanic, Britannia, Olympia being built at the same time.

What some conspirators believes that the Titanic on the ocean floor is really the Olympic because the Titanic was not ready to go.

To add stupid on top of stupid, the Titanic was sabotaged because the wealthy American men on board were against the U.S. Federal Reserve System and had to be dealt with.

You can believe what you want ?

Back