• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Top Hoaxing

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
NOTE TO SUBSCRIBERS - Re Narnia walks out of talks

Please disregard item 'Narnia walks out of talks..' which appeared on wire at 12.01 GMT. Story was a hoax and inadvertently transmitted to wire.

Link

:lol: :lol:

here's the original story in full...

WTO MEETING - Narnia walks out of talks; says tired of EU, US 'bullying'

HONG KONG (AFX) - The independent state of Narnia has walked out of trade negotiations here, citing pressure from the European Union and the US to enforce liberalization of its garment-related sector. Narnian spokeswoman Susan Aslan said in a statement that delegates 'were tired of bullying by EU and US delegations and would be returning immediately to their state capital at Cair Parvel.' 'If this brings the Hong Kong talks to the knees we will be delighted. Many other delegates told us they are sick of the eternal Lamy winter and are longing for a new trade spring,' Aslan said. The walkout was a first in this round of talks, and follows a similar move by some developing country delegates at the Cancun summit two years ago, the statement said. lw/rc

Link

-----------------

edit: this seems to have gone across many different sites.

[Emp edit: Fixing big links]

Here's a better one:
Betjeman love letter is horrid hoax
Richard Brooks, Arts Editor

HIS one regret, Sir John Betjeman once said, was that he had not had enough sex. So the late poet laureate’s biographer could be forgiven the thrill of discovery he felt when someone sent him a passionate love letter supposedly written by Betjeman to a mistress.
Now, however, it turns out that the poet, born 100 years ago tomorrow, never wrote the letter. Instead, AN Wilson, the biographer, admitted this weekend he had fallen victim to an elaborate hoax.

The trick was so successful that the letter has been published in Wilson’s new book Betjeman as evidence of the poet’s previously unknown “fling”.

The giveaway — and a clue that a bitter rival of Wilson’s may be behind the trick — is that the capital letters at the beginning of the sentences in the letter spell out a vivid personal insult to the biographer.

After a Sunday Times reporter pointed this out to him this weekend, Wilson reread the letter and said: “I should have smelt a rat . . . Obviously the letter is a joke, a hoax.”

The identity of the trickster is not known, but one acknowledged rival of Wilson has denied involvement. Bevis Hillier, author of a three-volume biography of Betjeman, said that, although he found Wilson “despicable”, he was “not guilty” of the hoax.

The “love letter” appeared to have been written by Betjeman in May 1944, 11 years after he had married Penelope Chetwode.

It was addressed to Honor Tracy, an Anglo-Irish writer with whom Betjeman worked at the Admiralty during the war.

The letter first came to light about two years ago as Wilson was researching the biography.

In a covering note, someone signing herself (or himself) “Eve de Harben”, with the address Résidence de la Mer, Avenue de la Plage, Roquebrune on the Côte D’Azur, wrote that she had received the letter from her father, a cousin of Tracy. Tracy herself died in 1989.

De Harben sent a typed copy of the letter. The original, according to the note, had been sold to an American collector of Betjemania.

The affair appeared all the more intriguing to Wilson because of Betjeman’s regret, expressed in a television interview in 1984, the year he died, when he said: “I haven’t had enough sex.”

The letter begins: “Darling Honor, I loved yesterday. All day I’ve thought of nothing else. No other love I’ve had means so much.”

Later on in the letter the poet waxed that “love has given me a miss for so long and now this miracle has happened. Sex is a part of it, of course.”

Betjeman then ended the letter: “Tinkerty-tonk, my Darling. I pray I’ll hear from you tomorrow. If I don’t I’ll visit your office in a fake beard. All love, JB.”

Close study of the letter, however, shows that the capital letters at the beginning of each sentence spell out a message: “AN Wilson is a shit”. :shock:

With hindsight, Wilson accepts he could have asked more questions.

He says he did think it strange that when he finally returned it to de Harben in France, the letter was returned soon after with “Addressee and address not known”.

Roquebrune exists, as does its Avenue de la Plage. There is a place called Résidence de la Mer, a block of flats near the pebbly beach. This weekend, Mario Ballestra, concierge at the block for the past 40 years, said he had never heard of de Harben or of Bevis Hillier.

“We have had just three English people living here in the last 30 years,” said Ballestra, “one called Mr Thompson who is in his 60s, and the others, a young couple who come here each summer. I have never met a Mme de Harben.”

The attention of The Sunday Times was drawn to the hoax a few days ago when a journalist also received a letter from de Harben.

It had the same French address and the same story that she had married a Frenchman. In the letter, de Harben confessed the love letter she had sent to Wilson was “spurious”.

She had made the whole thing up — including the rude message — to avenge an attack which Wilson himself had made some years ago on Humphrey Carpenter, a “dear friend of mine”. Carpenter was himself a distinguished biographer and book reviewer for The Sunday Times.

This explanation, however, appears to be yet another spoof. Carpenter’s widow Mari said this weekend she had never heard of de Harben. She also said Wilson and Carpenter had patched up their differences not long before her husband’s death.

Despite the French address, the padded envelope containing the letter was postmarked “west London” and a tiny sticker on the back indicated it had been bought at Warren & Son, a stationer in Winchester, which happens to be Hillier’s home city.

Hillier, however, was insistent. He said: “This isn’t the sort of lark I do . . . I am not guilty. But it is very Betjemanesque.”

He may deny involvement in the hoax, but Hillier does not like Wilson. “The man is despicable,” he said. “When my 2002 volume on Betjeman came out, Wilson wrote in The Spectator that Hillier is not really a writer at all. His book is a hopeless mish-mash.”

Hillier spent 25 years on his three-volume Betjeman biography, authorised by the poet before his death. He acknowledges that Tracy was close friends with Betjeman, who lived with a mistress for much of his marriage.

But Hillier is dubious about any sexual relationship with Tracy, pointing to a letter from the poet to her which reads “You forcibly illustrate my maxim that the ones we don’t sleep with are the dearest and the best.”

Wilson maintains the relationship was sexual. “I interviewed Tracy in an old people’s home not long before she died and she told me there had been an affair,” he said.

Wilson would not be drawn, however, on his suspicions over the true identity of de Harben. He said: “All I’d say is this person must know an amazing amount about Betjeman and his life. But I really don’t think I should name who I think it is.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 57,00.html

How's this for brass neck?
Conman could be stripped of MBE

A man who was awarded an MBE by the Queen after applying for it himself could now be stripped of the honour.
Former police worker Michael Eke, 38, of March, Cambridgeshire, admitted the offence at Norwich Crown Court.

The Cabinet Office said: "The Sovereign may, on the advice of ministers, cancel an award if the holder is considered unworthy to retain it."

Eke was convicted of using a false instrument with intent, in reference to the honours form used for nominations.

The court heard he wrote two fake references to the Cabinet Office, in the name of other people, recommending him for the honour.

Admitted theft

He then sent more letters using false names to local community leaders, asking them to back the application.

Eke received the MBE in 2003 for his services to the community.

He was among 140 people chosen to carry the Olympic torch on the London leg of its 78-day journey to the Athens Games in 2004.

He was a stationery stores manager for Cambridgeshire Police until he was arrested and suspended in February 2005.

Eke admitted seven counts of theft, including the theft of laptop computers and digital cameras from Cambridgeshire Police, and four counts of obtaining a money transfer by deception.

False information

At a previous hearing, he pleaded guilty to obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception by using false information on an application form to the force.

The court heard that Eke used his job to help steal four laptop computers worth more than £5,000.

He also obtained grants by deception from arts and other organisations worth about £25,000.

Judge Paul Downes adjourned sentencing until 3 October for reports.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/camb ... 297966.stm
He should have gone for a KBE!

Here's a very recent one. (I posted the original story on the 'Endurance' thread.)
Diver with miracle survival story is exposed as hoaxer
By Devika Bhat

A man who claimed he was lost at sea for nearly three days after being struck by a boat in a diving accident invented the entire story, it emerged today.

Matthew Harvey, 35, was pulled out of the water in Fermain Bay, on the east coast of Guernsey, by the crew of a passing yacht on Monday evening after apparently going for a solo dive on Saturday morning.

Mr Harvey claimed that he had been knocked unconsciousness by a boat, before being swept out to sea, floating helplessly for 58 hours. He had been given up for dead before his seemingly remarkable rescue.

His wife, Katie, reported his disappearance to police on Saturday and his reappearance two and a half days later had baffled his rescuers.

Mr Harvey, a museum worker, had described on Tuesday how he was struck by a boat upon surfacing from his dive, losing his mask and his regulator which controls the air supply. He said that he regained consciousness as the powerful current swept him out to sea, in the direction of Jersey.

He then claimed he was able to drag himself into a gulley where he took refuge overnight on Saturday and Sunday. On Monday, he decided that his best option was to get back in the water and swim ashore to dry land, but misjudged his position and was carried out to sea again before being rescued that evening by the yacht.

But Guernsey police said today that Mr Harvey had been on the mainland during his supposed ordeal and the search operation. He is currently being questioned by officers and could face criminal charges.

"...the circumstances surrounding Mr Harvey’s disappearance is [sic] not accurate. In summary, he was not missing at sea or on the coast of Guernsey as suggested," a police statement said today.

"Police can confirm that for some of the time Mr Harvey was reported as missing, he was in the UK. The matter is complex and the full facts are as of yet not established.

"Police can confirm that Mr Harvey has been interviewed with respect to the matter and his family kept fully informed as to this significant development…

"…It is noted that there has been critical speculation with respect to the search at sea for Mr Harvey being unsuccessful. The information gathered by police clearly indicates that at the time of the search Mr Harvey was not in the sea or upon the coast."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 78,00.html
There's surely more to come...

The prince of conmen who lost his crown
From Richard Lloyd Parry in Tokyo

THE wedding reception of Prince Satohito Arisugawa, kinsman of the Japanese Emperor and scion of an ancient aristocratic house, was everything an imperial marriage ought to be.
The venue was an exclusive Tokyo club known as a haunt of royalty. Prince Arisugawa was splendid in his black military uniform and glittering medals. About 350 guests, including actors, politicians and TV celebrities, presented the traditional Japanese wedding gift — envelopes of banknotes.

True, most of the assembled guests did not know the couple, there were no other members of the Imperial Family there, and in her junihitoe, a twelve-layered kimono worn by court ladies in the 10th century, the bride was perhaps a little overdressed — even for a princess.

But it was only when journalists got hold of the story a few weeks later that the guests realised the truth: Prince Arisugawa, the man to whom they had collectively given 13 million yen (£60,000), was actually Yasuyuki Kitano, the son of a greengrocer who formerly worked as a security guard and caretaker.

Yesterday Kitano, 44, and his bogus bride, a 47-year-old divorcée named Harumi Sakamoto, were imprisoned for 26 months for the 2003 swindle, which embarrassed dozens of well-known faces and exposed a snobbery — as well as a deep naivety — about the country’s closeted Imperial Family.

“It was a malicious criminal act,” Judge Takaki Oshima said at the Tokyo District Court. “[It] cleverly took advantage of reverence for the imperial court and Imperial Family.”

Kitano was formerly the head of a group of rightwing nationalists who revere the Japanese Imperial Family and appears to have passed himself off as a prince since the 1980s. Acquaintances quoted in the Japanese media remembered how he affected the special Japanese pronouns reserved for members of the Imperial Family — the equivalent of the royal “we”. In 2000 he gave a lecture to a peace organisation in Hiroshima as Prince Arisugawa and before that he persuaded a Shinto shrine to sell dubious bottles of mineral water decorated with the imperial chrysanthemum crest.

A bit of research by any of his victims would have exposed him — the aristocratic Arisugawa family, from whom he claimed descent, died out in 1913. “I didn’t know the prince directly, but a friend of mine in Tokyo told me that we could go to his wedding reception,” said Seizo Mikami, a businessman and politician. “I was very excited and planned to bring 500,000 yen to congratulate him on his marriage.

“I ended up bringing 100,000 yen because my secretary told me that he wasn’t one of my voters.”

Mr Mikami looked around for Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, hoping to pose alongside them for a photograph, but they were not to be found.

“Even after the verdict I don’t feel bad towards them,” Mr Mikami told The Times. “It’s bad to cheat people, but this isn’t murder or burglary. I try to remember that he gave a country bumpkin like me the fleeting dream of attending a royal wedding.”

PAST PRETENDERS

Omar Yusuf was arrested by Australian police in Malaysia this year. He had claimed to be a Middle Eastern prince but fled Australia owing A$9m

A Buddhist monk was defrocked in 2001 after claiming to be a member of the Cambodian royal family — as well as having sex with young boys and defrauding people

In 1318 John of Powderham claimed that he and not the reigning Edward II should be king, saying a nurse had swapped him. He later retracted, saying the Devil had inspired him, disguised as a cat. He and the cat were hanged.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 26,00.html

Court expert 'was bogus scientist who bought PhD on internet'
Russell Jenkins

Jury is told that degree cost £700

Lawyers used him to challenge claims

The jury heard that Gene Morrison's qualifications could be bought in America for about £700 (Cavendish Press)

A man who said he was a forensic scientist and offered himself as an expert witness to solicitors had bought his masters’ degree and doctorate over the internet, a court was told yesterday.

Gene Morrison, 48, who lived in Hyde, Cheshire, called himself Dr Morrison and trailed the letters PhD and BSc after his name. In advertisements in the Solicitors Journal he boasted that he had been offering a first-class “objective and professional” service to the legal and insurance professions since 1977.

But a jury at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester was told that Mr Morrison had no expertise in the fields and that his qualifications from “Rochville University” in America could be bought for $1,398 (£709).

Neil Flewitt, QC, for the prosecution, said: “The services offered by the defendant were used by solicitors dealing with criminal, civil and family proceedings and also by insurance companies and private individuals. It is the prosecution case that the defendant frequently misrepresented his qualifications and his ability to deliver the services offered by his company, the Criminal & Forensic Investigations Bureau.”

Mr Morrison faces 23 counts of obtaining a money transfer by deception, obtaining property by deception, perverting the course of justice and perjury. The jury was told that he denied all but two counts.

Mr Flewitt said Mr Morrison was employed in 2002 by a firm of solicitors in Birmingham, which wanted to challenge evidence offered by a qualified expert that their client, Darren Knuckey, was an armed robber who had been picked out by CCTV at a petrol station.

Younis Khan, a solicitor for Ahmed Solicitors, asked Mr Morrison if he had the technical expertise to carry out the job. Mr Morrison wrote to the firm subsequently claiming that he was an expert in facial mapping and quoting a price of £1,850. The job was given the approval of the Legal Services Commission.

Mr Flewitt said: “Although the defendant had indicated to Ahmed Solicitors that he was able to provide the report that they required, the reality was that he did not have the expertise to produce the report himself.”

He turned instead to Walter Baynes, the proprietor of a visual presentation company called Piglet Productions, to carry out the work. In an initial and then full report, Mr Morrison allegedly passed off Mr Baynes’s work as his own.

Mr Baynes charged £443 for the work while Mr Morrison’s bill was £998. In his report Mr Morrison, it was said, claimed falsely that he had academic qualifications in television imaging analysis from Salford College of Technology dating back to 1977 and had attended Home Office seminars.

Mr Flewitt said: “In presenting Walter Baynes’s report as if it was his own, the defendant has misled Ahmed Solicitors into believing that they were in possession of an authoritative report in support of their client’s defence.

“In the event, no harm was done because the prosecution elected not to pursue the allegation of robbery against Mr Knuckey.” The Knuckey case, said the barrister, was only one of a series of cases that he would outline to show how Mr Morrison operated his bogus business.

Mr Flewitt said that Mr Morrison had produced three certificates from Rochville University, but “Rochville University has no physical existence. There are no buildings and there is no teaching. All you neeed is access to the internet, a little imagination and, of course, enough money to pay for your chosen degrees.”

The case continues.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 33,00.html

rynner said:
...“I didn’t know the prince directly, but a friend of mine in Tokyo told me that we could go to his wedding reception,” said Seizo Mikami, a businessman and politician. “I was very excited and planned to bring 500,000 yen to congratulate him on his marriage.

“I ended up bringing 100,000 yen because my secretary told me that he wasn’t one of my voters.”...
That tells you just about everything you need to know about politicians...

I want to know why Mr Knuckey hasn't yet appeared in our 'Silly Names' threads.

escargot1 said:
I want to know why Mr Knuckey hasn't yet appeared in our 'Silly Names' threads.

Could be worse, what if 'e was Mr McKnuckley?

An unusual one here:
Pianist's virtuosity is called into question
By Martin Beckford
Last Updated: 2:24am GMT 17/02/2007

The world of classical music has been thrown into turmoil after audio experts denounced a series of critically acclaimed recordings by a revered English pianist as fakes.

Joyce Hatto, who died last year aged 77, had not given a recital in decades because she was suffering from cancer and thought it "impolite to look ill" in public.

But she developed a cult following on the strength of more than 100 discs released by her husband's record label in recent years, which were said to have been recorded at a studio near their home in Royston, Herts.

The critic who claimed to have discovered her CDs said it was "like finding the Holy Grail". After she died Hatto was described as "one of the greatest pianists Britain has ever produced" who mastered the most difficult pieces ever written for the instrument with "awesome" and "astonishing" skill.

Doubts began to be expressed, however, that a woman who had enjoyed only a modest reputation as a concert pianist in London during the 1950s and 1960s could have gone on to become such a virtuoso on disc, particularly while battling illness.

Then it was alleged that the music software program iTunes, which is connected to an online database of CD track names and lengths, identified two of her discs as being exactly the same as others produced by different pianists and available on other record labels.

Experts in audio analysis went on to examine three of her discs and now claim they are simply copies of earlier recordings, disguised by speed changes or by combining tracks from different performances.

The Hatto CDs analysed so far are Liszt's 12 Transcendental Studies, which is alleged to be the same as the recording by Laszlo Simon; Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 3, alleged to have been recorded first by Yefim Bronfman; and Godowsky's Complete Studies After the Chopin Etudes, alleged to have been played originally by Carlo Grante. One of Hatto's discs is even said to feature a fictional conductor.

Last night her reputation was being called into question.

James Inverne, the editor of classical music magazine Gramophone which led the investigation, said: "It's just the most amazing scandal in the polite world of classical music.

"Its ramifications are potentially huge as one would think there are a lot of recording companies involved and they are notoriously picky about copyright issues.

"There have been similar things in art and theatre but it's the first scandal of this kind in classical music."

Gramophone has decided to scrap a rave review of a new CD purportedly by Hatto intended for its next issue, but Mr Inverne insisted the magazine and its critics would not be embarrassed by the claims that they had been duped by her recordings.

"These are still great performances," he said.

But Andrew Rose, who runs the remastering firm Pristine Audio and who analysed the Hatto recordings, said: "There are a lot of critics and publications with egg on their faces.

"If you look at her biography and recording dates with a cynical eye, the whole thing starts to fall apart.

"She was almost a cult figure and people wanted to believe her story.

"The idea was that she had cancer and didn't want to be seen so her husband built a studio for her, but nobody explained how they managed to squeeze an entire orchestra in there. 8)

"It's just jaw-dropping and so outrageous and audacious it's almost impossible to believe it's been done."
http://tinyurl.com/3ascyz

After decades of buying The Gramophone every month, I gave up on it last year, soon after the terrible Inverne took over as editor. It had become a glossy and dumbed-down joke which insulted its shrinking core readership while whoring after an imaginary constituency of half-interested people.

This curious Joyce Hatto story required exactly that kind of human-interest approach to take off and it received it in the pages on The Gramophone, where the CDs were acclaimed as if the Holy Grail had been found. Old hands will have shaken their heads at the hyperbole and passed on. I had a few of Ms Hatto's original records and her transformation into a keyboard lioness seemed highly unlikely!

I did not imagine a scam. However, such misrepresentations are quite frequent in the classical world, especially where historical material is mis-labelled. To have so many diverse and well-known pianists contributing to this cache shows that the reputations of the critics concerned are now shot to pieces. I doubt if they will disappear though.

The decision to expose the scam and seek respect is as tackily journalistic as the sort of writing which now fills the magazine's pages. In the end, papers get the stories they deserve. :evil:

Here is Inverne's piece from the Gramophone website

Masterpieces Or Fakes? The Joyce Hatto Scandal
February 15 2007   

It was already one of the strangest stories the classical music world had witnessed. But the discovery of the late English pianist Joyce Hatto as the greatest instrumentalist almost nobody had heard of, appears to have taken a bizarre, even potentially sinister turn.

It was around a year ago that Gramophone’s critics began to champion this little-known lady, whose discs – miraculous performances, released by her husband William Barrington-Coupe on the tiny label Concert Artist – were notoriously difficult to get hold of. Such was the brilliance of this pianist across Liszt, Schubert, Rachmaninov, Dukas and more in a dizzying range – that it was worth making the effort to seek out Concert Artist to get these discs, and they became much sought-after. By the time she died in June 2006, Joyce Hatto was not only a sudden widespread success, she was a cause célèbre. To love Hatto recordings was to be in the know, a true piano aficionado who didn’t need the hype of a major label’s marketing spend to recognise a good, a great, thing when they heard it.

But at the same time as the cult of Hatto was burgeoning, there were persistent rumours on the internet as to the true origins of the recordings. How, wondered the doubters, could one woman – especially one who had battled cancer for many years – have mastered a range of repertoire and recorded a catalogue that arguably makes her more prolific than even the Richters and the Ashkenazys.

However, Gramophone critic Jeremy Nicholas published a letter in the magazine asking anyone who had any evidence of any wrong-doing to come forth. Nobody did, and the matter rested. Until now.

Several days ago, another Gramophone critic decided to listen to a Hatto Liszt CD, of the 12 Transcendental Studies. He put the disc into his computer to listen, and something awfully strange happened. His computer's player identified the disc as, yes, the Liszts, but not a Hatto recording. Instead, his display suggested that the disc was one on BIS Records, by the pianist Lászlo Simon. Mystified, our critic checked his Hatto disc against the actual Simon recording, and to his amazement they sounded exactly the same.

In then went a recording of Hatto playing two Rachmaninov Piano Concertos and, sure enough, his computer's CD player listed it as another – by Yefim Bronfman, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen, on Sony. Again, the critic compared, and again he could hear no difference.

Gramophone then sent the Hatto and the Simon Liszt recordings to an audio expert, Pristine Audio’s Andrew Rose, who scientifically checked the soundwaves of each recording. They matched. “Without a shadow of a doubt,” reported Rose, “10 of the tracks on the Liszt disc are identical to those on the Simon.” Of the remaining two, he now feels that he has identified a further one – which he identified as being, again “without a shadow of a doubt” from a CD entitled “Nojima Plays Liszt”, a 1993 release from Reference Recordings. Furthermore, his partner – who is based elsewhere with his own equipment – agrees.

More astonishing revelations were to come. The pair then checked a track from a Hatto disc of music by Godowsky, and found that it sounded strange, as if the sound had been tampered with. After running checks, they found that the music had indeed been manipulated – the time had been stretched by an “audacious” 15.112% (such an extreme stretch accounted for the odd sound) to alter the tone, but that if the stretch was reversed it became clear that the track was identical to that played by the pianist Carlo Grante on a CD issued by Altarus.

Rose even created special pages on his website, showing the soundwaves for both the Godowsky and the Liszt side by side with those they match. The listener can compare the tracks simultaneously. Rose later checked the Rachmaninov Concertos recording and, sure enough, it matched up with the Bronfman recording.

It would take many weeks of intensive work to examine all of the Hatto recordings, but it seems clear that at least some of these great performances are identical to other performances available from other recording companies. Contacted for his comments, Barrington-Coupe – who acknowledged that he produced well-nigh all of his wife’s recordings – was at a loss to explain the similarity.

Are the Hatto’s fakes? If so, how many? This, it must be suspected, is a story that won’t go away until the full truth is known.

* Don’t miss the April issue of Gramophone for a longer version of this story

Visit Pristine Audio's Hatto web page: www.pristineclassical.com/HattoHoax.html

James Inverne

Fake drug, fake illness -- and people believe it! Fri Feb 16, 11:56 AM ET

A media exhibit featuring a campaign for a fake drug to treat a fictitious illness is causing a stir because some people think the illness is real.

Australian artist Justine Cooper created the marketing campaign for a non-existent drug called Havidol for Dysphoric Social Attention Consumption Deficit Anxiety Disorder (DSACDAD), which she also invented.

But the multi-media exhibit at the Daneyal Mahmood Gallery in New York, which includes a Web site, mock television and print advertisements and billboards is so convincing people think it is authentic.

"People have walked into the gallery and thought it was real," Mahmood said in an interview.

"They didn't get the fact that this was a parody or satire."

But Mahmood said it really took off over the Internet. In the first few days after the Web site (www.havidol.com) went up, it had 5,000 hits. The last time he checked it had reached a quarter of a million.

"The thing that amazes me is that it has been folded into real Web sites for panic and anxiety disorder. It's been folded into a Web site for depression. It's been folded into hundreds of art blogs," he added.

The parody is in response to the tactics used by the drug industry to sell their wares to the public. Consumer advertising for prescription medications, which are a staple of television advertising in the United States, was legalised in the country in 1997.

Cooper said she intended the exhibit to be subtle.

"The drug ads themselves are sometimes so comedic. I couldn't be outrageously spoofy so I really wanted it to be a more subtle kind of parody that draws you in, makes you want this thing and then makes you wonder why you want it and maybe where you can get it," she added.

Mahmood said that in addition to generating interest among the artsy crowd, doctors and medical students have been asking about the exhibit.

"I think people identify with the condition," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070216/od_ ... _drug_fake

For all my self-professed skills with anagrams I'd never before recognized the similarities between NARNIA and IRANAN.

JamesWhitehead said:
I had a few of Ms Hatto's original records and her transformation into a keyboard lioness seemed highly unlikely!

So there are legitimate Hatto recordings also? Were these commercially released?

OldTimeRadio said:
JamesWhitehead said:
I had a few of Ms Hatto's original records and her transformation into a keyboard lioness seemed highly unlikely!

So there are legitimate Hatto recordings also? Were these commercially released?

Yes, Wm. Barrington-Coupe the husband at the centre of the row was a pioneer of the bargain label market. After launching Concert Artist as a full-price label, he went on to run Delta Records, which comprised makes such as Summit and Fidelio which sold for 10 shillings or so in the early sixties.

Joyce Hatto recorded an EP disc of rare Chopin for Summit. The commonest Hatto disc is of miniature piano-concerto themes from the movies eg The Warsaw Concerto, Cornish Rhapsody etc. This appeared on Saga and associated labels. It turns up often in the slush-piles here. Delta Records featured her in Mozart's 20th & 23rd Concertos with the Pasdeloup Orchestra under Disenhaus and Saga carried the Rachmaninov 2nd Concerto with the Hamburg PO under George Hurst, issued in 1961.

The bargain labels played around with pseudonyms but these appear to be genuine attributions. From time to time in the sixties and seventies the name of Barrington-Coupe turned up in the correspondence columns of The Gramophone, lamenting the financial stupidity of casting pearls before swine. So I think the notion of revenge by hoaxing might well have been in character! :)

I guess this belongs here - then later in jail.

Bogus forensic expert faces jail
A bogus forensic psychologist who supplied evidence in hundreds of court cases over almost 30 years has been convicted on 20 charges.
Gene Morrison, 48, who left school with no qualifications, was described in court as a charlatan who had tricked judges, lawyers and police.

About 700 cases he worked on will now have to be re-assessed, Manchester's Minshull Street Crown Court was told.

Morrison, of Martin Street, Hyde, was told a jail sentence was inevitable.

The court heard he was paid at least £250,000 in taxpayers' money for giving apparently expert advice.

Morrison's firm, Criminal and Forensic Investigations Bureau (CFIB), was hired to give evidence in court.

I think he's a delusional character - the depths to which he sunk are unbelievable
Det Supt Martin Bottomley

His firm's website - bearing the motto Exposing unrighteousness for the sake of righteousness - claimed he had more than 20 years experience.

Morrison admitted to police he began working as a forensic investigator in 1977 after buying certificates by post for a BSc in Forensic Science, a Masters with excellence in Forensic Investigation and a Doctorate in Criminology.

Despite this, during his trial he insisted on being called Dr Morrison.

He also told police he learned his skills from a retired West Yorkshire detective and a mysterious Mr X, a member of the Czech Republic's defence ministry.

Morrison told police he started an Open University (OU) degree, but in court revealed he only actually phoned for a brochure and recorded OU programmes from BBC2 in the 1970s.

In the beginning, Morrison hired real forensic scientists to carry out handwriting and fingerprint analysis which he would pass of as his own and charge clients double.

But later he simply cut and pasted old reports together and changed details, the court heard.

Morrison's clients included legal firms, insurance companies, private businesses and individuals.

He gave evidence in cases involving armed robbery, rape, death by dangerous driving, unexplained death and drugs offences.

'Walter Mitty'

Greater Manchester Police is sending a report to the attorney general on Morrison's work to examine any possible miscarriages of justice.

The force is also investigating hundreds of cases.

Det Supt Martin Bottomley, speaking outside court, described Morrison as a Walter Mitty-type character.

"His professional life has been based on a web of deceit and lies and he's fleeced many victims out of hundreds of thousands of pounds," said the detective.

"I think he's a delusional character. The depths to which he sunk are unbelievable, really."

Morrison was found guilty of 20 offences including obtaining a money transfer by deception, obtaining property by deception, perverting the course of justice and perjury.

He admitted a further two charges.

He was cleared of one count of obtaining a money transfer by deception.

The guilty verdicts followed two days of deliberation by the jury.

Judge Jeffrey Lewis remanded Morrison in custody and told him a custodial sentence was inevitable.

Morrison will be sentenced on Thursday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 383307.stm

Published: 2007/02/21 18:59:35 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Revealed: Richard and Judy quiz scam
By Terri Judd
Published: 19 February 2007

Channel 4 has launched an investigation into claims that one of its flagship programmes has been cheating its viewers to the tune of tens of thousands of pounds.

Every day, an average of 15,000 viewers pay £1 a time to enter The Richard & Judy Show's You Say, We Pay competition. But it emerged yesterday that viewers were allegedly being encouraged to call a premium-rate number long after the day's competitors had already been selected.

According to emails leaked to The Mail on Sunday, 24 contestants are selected randomly by computer within minutes of the show going on air at 5pm. Yet long after the telephone service provider has informed the programme maker of the shortlist, the competition number appears on screen enticing the audience to call in.

A spokeswoman for Channel 4 - which shares the profits from the game equally with the programme maker Cactus TV - said "something had obviously gone awry" but they could not believe that anyone had deliberately set out to deceive the public.

"We take these claims seriously and will be investigating them fully," said the broadcaster. "Channel 4 is committed to ensuring all our on-air competitions are conducted fairly and transparently and we reject any suggestion that we would knowingly mislead our viewers in any way."

Thousands of people phone the show every day for the chance to compete in the charades-style game, in which the husband-and-wife duo try to guess the names of objects or celebrities from clues provided by the viewer.

But the competition was pulled from the show on Friday - with its makers claiming that there was a "technical problem with our telephone supplier"- after the newspaper approached the television company with the allegations. Yesterday, the broadcaster said the competition would remain off air until a full investigation had taken place.

The leak suggested that as many as 32,000 people telephoned the premium-rate competition line run by service provider Eckoh, which is contracted by Channel 4, in one week this month with no chance of winning.

According to The Mail on Sunday, winners are selected by computer within the first five to seven minutes of the telephone line details appearing when the show begins at 5pm. The newspaper said it had obtained a copy of an email sent by Eckoh to Cactus TV timed at 5.09pm last Wednesday listing the names and numbers of 24 potential winners. An email acknowledging receipt was reportedly sent by Cactus four minutes later, yet at 5.19pm, a second "solicit" was broadcast on the show inviting viewers to try their luck.

There was no evidence to suggest that the hosts of the show, Judy Finnegan and Richard Madeley, had any knowledge of the problem.

The Labour MP Rosemary McKenna, a member of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said the panel would look into the issue. The committee recently investigated dedicated quiz television channels and issued a stern report that such games must be transparent and inform viewers of the cost of taking part. What was different about the current allegations, Ms McKenna added, was that they suggested the programmers had continued to ask people call in after potential winners were chosen.

"That, of course, is extremely concerning. That could be considered fraud. I was shocked that Channel 4 could be potentially involved in this," she added.

Channel 4 said: "Our contract with the provider clearly states they must comply fully with the codes that govern competitions of this nature drawn up by the Independent Committee for the Supervision of Standards of Telephone Information Services (ICSTIS)."

A spokesman for Cactus TV said they were taking the matter very seriously and investigating it fully.

The phone line provider Eckoh said it provided a service to broadcasters "in accordance with all regulations and codes of conduct. So when it came to the attention of our staff that, in their view, the You Say, We Pay service on the Richard & Judy show was not operating in a fully compliant way, we raised this with Cactus. We also proposed changes to the way the competition operates, in writing to Cactus to ensure that it was in our view able to run in a compliant manner."

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article2283955.ece

I wonder whether "The Crown accepted my credentials for 30 years" might not have made some sort of defense in itself.

Despite this, during his trial he insisted on being called Dr Morrison.

DID they?

Hatto follow-up
Yes, I did pass off piano CDs as wife's work, says widower
By Martin Beckford
Last Updated: 1:19am GMT 27/02/2007

The record company boss accused of duping the classical music world admitted last night that he did use other pianists' work on his late wife's acclaimed CDs.

But William Barrington-Coupe insisted that he only did so to give Joyce Hatto hope as she was dying, and maintains that she knew nothing of the deception.

The 76-year-old had denied all wrong-doing when audio experts commissioned by Gramophone magazine claimed that several of the 119 Hatto discs he released were identical to recordings by other musicians. The claim caused a scandal as Hatto, who died last year aged 77, had been described as one of Britain's greatest pianists on the strength of the CDs.

At the weekend, however, Mr Barrington-Coupe sent a confessional email to the owner of one of the record companies whose work he was accused of pirating, and he confirmed last night that he had put out performances under Hatto's name using other pianists' work.

He said she had made recordings, but they were marred by grunts of pain as her ovarian cancer worsened and he began to insert excerpts of other recordings to hide the noises.

Mr Barrington-Coupe, who was jailed for tax evasion in the 1960s, said: "What I've done is completely wrong, but I didn't go in for wholehearted piracy. It wasn't a question of putting other people's performances out but covering little, involuntary noises. She had so much pain.

"In some cases it was only a matter of bars, but her playing in places just became a template. It was very complicated and difficult to do, but I just allowed myself to take longer passages than initially because it was easier to fit them in."

Asked if all the recordings had featured some of Hatto's playing, he insisted they had.

Mr Barrington-Coupe went on: "I do regret the whole situation, I wish none of it had ever arisen. I've only come forward because people are saying my wife was aware of it and it was all a conspiracy. She had no idea.

"I did it just to keep my wife going and to give her something to live for. She died feeling that it hadn't all been in vain. She was a very talented musician and piano was her life."

Mr Barrington-Coupe said he was not motivated by money and had made a "thumping great loss" after selling just 3,051 Hatto CDs in 2005-6 and 5,500 since then.

Although dozens of other artists and record companies have seen their worked released under Hatto's name, Mr Barrington-Coupe, of Royston, Herts, claimed that his actions had not caused any harm. "I don't consider I've hurt anybody. A lot of attention has been drawn to forgotten artists."

Asked if he thought he would be taken to court by the police or the British Phonographic Industry, which represents record labels, he replied: "Ask them. I've given up worrying about anything."

Michael Spring, sales manager of Hyperion Records, some of whose recordings were released as Hattos, said: "I feel we should do something, although it will cost a lot of money to bring him to court. We need to get to the bottom of it and get a list of all the recordings he's pirated."

Hertfordshire Police said that despite Mr Barrington-Coupe's admissions they would take no action unless the copyright owners of the original recordings made complaints.
http://tinyurl.com/2vo9qc

rather sad, really... :(

Classical CDs 'faked' by producer

Classical CDs 'faked' by producer

The husband of a British pianist has admitted passing off other classical works as those of his late wife, the label of one "sampled" artist has said.

William Barrington-Coupe sent a letter to the BIS label to admit faking parts of CDs by Joyce Hatto, the label said.

BIS said he told them he did it because his wife had cancer and could be heard groaning in pain during recordings.

"It is self-evident that I have acted stupidly, dishonestly and unlawfully," he wrote, the label told the BBC.

Hatto was hailed as an unsung classical music star when she died in June 2006.

Mr Barrington-Coupe was not answering phone calls and so was unavailable to comment on the claim by the Swedish record company.

But BIS chief executive Robert von Bahr said he had received a letter from Mr Barrington-Coupe in which he acknowledged the deception.

"It is very touching and he does go through every detail and how he did it and he makes it very credible," Mr von Bahr said.

According to Gramophone magazine, Barrington-Coupe admitted passing off other people's recordings as being by his wife, but he did it to give her the illusion of a great end to an overlooked career.

He initially patched in short passages by other performers who shared Hatto's sound and style to cover her grunts of pain, the magazine said.

But as he got better at the process, he started inserting longer sections.

Despite the confession, Mr von Bahr said he would not take legal action.

"I don't see how either myself or the industry can get any satisfaction for pure revenge," he said. "I think the whole thing is deeply tragic story."

But others in the music industry were "rather upset" and contemplating taking action, he added.

The deception emerged when a Gramophone reader put Ms Hatto's recording of Liszt's Transcendental Etudes into his computer.

An online database identified the recording as being by Laszlo Simon, released by BIS in 1987.

Then a recording of Rachmaninov piano concertos by Ms Hatto was identified as that of Yefim Bronfman on Sony, according to Gramophone.

And another piece Hatto recorded, composed by Leopold Godowsky, was found to be the same as a performance by Carlo Grante, but digitally altered and slowed down by 15%.

Gramophone editor James Inverne told the BBC News website: "We wouldn't have known even to look had it not been for the accident where iTunes came up with the 'correct' title for the discs.

"All the recordings are in doubt unless proved otherwise now.

"We're talking about over 100 works she recorded and the only person who really will know - if even he has kept records - is William Barrington-Coupe, and he declines to give lists."

When Hatto died, she was described as "one of the greatest pianists Britain has ever produced" by the Guardian and "a singular artist of superlative technique and interpretation" by the Times.

Mr Inverne added: "We haven't known anything like this, on this sort of scale before."

He said it would remain "impossible" to tell how talented Ms Hatto had been unless Mr Barrington-Coupe revealed the full scale of the deception.

"She'll go down in notoriety rather than fond memory, as it were, and that's a great shame."

But Mr Barrington-Coupe was quoted by Gramophone as saying he was not inclined to release further details.

"I'm tired, I'm not very well," he said.

"I've closed the operation down, I've had the stock completely destroyed, and I'm not producing any more. Now I just want a little bit of peace."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2007/02/27 18:03:39 GMT

© BBC MMVII

I caught the BBC account on the Today programme. Annoyingly, it credited the Gramophone magazine with busting the scam without mentioning that they had been among the worst offenders in promoting it!

Barrington-Coupe's confessions are ridiculous, like the kid who admits to having had a straw and frog but only to have blown slightly. :shock:

Here's the story reported in the Guardian, from nearly 2 weeks ago! Well done BBC! Finger on the pulse!

Link

Frobush said:
Here's the story reported in the Guardian, from nearly 2 weeks ago! Well done BBC! Finger on the pulse!
Well, if your finger had been on the pulse, you could have posted it here two weeks earlier!

20/20 hindsight's a wonderful thing! ;)

rynner said:
Frobush said:
Well, if your finger had been on the pulse, you could have posted it here two weeks earlier!

I thought I had. But I must have pressed the "DON'T SUBMIT" button instead of the "SUBMIT" one. I always get them two mixed up. Well, not always, 'cos you wouldn't be reading this now if I did that.

Carry on, there's a good chap.

Hendrix lost Welsh anthem a hoax

The hoax generated interest from around the world
An electric recording of the Welsh anthem found on a tape from the 70s was not performed by Jimi Hendrix.
The owner of the tape, Martin Davies, admitted he had propagated the myth for fun.

Mr Davies admitted he persuaded a friend who formed a 70s punk band to play a Hendrix style version of the anthem.

"I could be accused of hoaxing but it was only a bit of fun. A lot of people had a lot of fun with it," he said.

Davies' friend John Ellis - who formed the Vibrators then went on to play with the Stranglers, Peter Gabriel and many others - performed Land of My Fathers.

Three gigs

The supposed Hendrix track was played on BBC's Newsnight in January.

Mr Davies said he put the version on his website with a story about its discovery expecting a few hundred hits.

But 35 million curious Hendrix fans around the world took up the story.

Mr Davies, a former record producer who now runs the Red Dragonhood design company, initially said he inherited the tape from a fellow producer Dave Chapman after his death in 2005.

He claimed the recording was made by a band whose bassist, Viv Williams, from Crickhowell in Powys, was friendly with Hendrix.

Some claimed the whole episode was a hoax and that the real guitarist would turn out to be the late Tich Gwilym who have been known to play distorted versions of Land of my Fathers.

Hendrix played a total of three gigs in Wales, and all in Cardiff: two in the Capitol in April 1967; and one in the November of that year at the city's Sophia Gardens.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/6406961.stm

Joyce Hatto's fame has spread beyond the Pond.

The current story was featured in the "International News" section of Wednesday morning's CINCINNATI ENQUIRER, with a blurb on the front page.

The Hatto scandal is no human tragedy - but it might make a melodrama
Last Updated: 12:01am BST 05/04/2007

The fallout from the greatest classical music scam ever perpetrated has been immense, writes Julian Lloyd Webber

It is unfortunate that it takes either seriously enhanced breasts or seriously advanced fraud for a classical music story to make it to the news pages of our enlightened media.

More than enough has been written about "Hattogate" already, but - along with the world and his dog - I thought I would throw in my two penn'orth before the sordid saga is relegated to the footnote of classical recording history where it belongs.

Given the right director, Hattogate has the makings of an excellent noir melodrama, so here is its synopsis: born in 1928, Joyce Hatto was a more or less unknown British pianist who "retired" from the concert platform she so seldom graced in 1976.

Many years later, recordings, allegedly by Hatto and allegedly recorded "at home" on her Steinway piano, began to emerge on her husband's Concert Artists label - although it was never convincingly explained how Hatto had managed to fit entire symphony orchestras into her lounge.

By the time of her death last year, no fewer than 104 "Hatto" discs had been released, garnering rave reviews and transforming the barely known ivory-tinkler into a cult heroine. There was just one problem: the recordings weren't hers.

Twenty years before her "retirement" Hatto had married W Barrington-Coupe, a record "mogul" who specialised in setting up labels whose distinguishing feature was to issue recordings by orchestras and conductors that didn't exist. The highlight of Hatto's pre-"retirement" career came in 1970 - a recording of Bax's Symphonic Variations for Piano and Orchestra with the Guildford Philharmonic under the distinguished conductor Vernon Handley. Paid for by Barrington-Coupe, it appeared on one of his labels, Revolution.

Handley remembers: "The Bax recording was very, very difficult indeed, one of the hardest recordings of my 179 discs- she couldn't really play rhythmically."

According to Barrington-Coupe, Hatto was already suffering from ovarian cancer and went "straight from the studios to hospital for surgery", a story contradicted by the consultant radiologist who eventually did care for Hatto: "She was first treated for ovarian cancer in 1992 and had no previous history of the disease," he recalled, before adding: "She had chips on her shoulder. She thought there were 'flavours of the month' and that some people's faces didn't fit - I used to hear 15 or 20 minutes of this every six weeks."

The radiologist also remembered that "she had incredible strength and stamina and she looked stunning". This last remark casts doubt on the couple's assertion that Hatto had withdrawn from public performance because a critic had suggested it was "impolite to look ill on stage". (No trace of this review has ever been found.)

In the end, Hatto was literally "digitally challenged" when one of "her" recordings was identified by iTunes as someone else's - because the timings of the tracks were identical to the recording they had copied.

The fallout from the greatest classical music scam ever perpetrated has been immense. Critics who reviewed her discs stand accused of being gullible. "One of the greatest pianists Britain has ever produced," swooned a Hatto obituary in the Guardian. "Hatto must be the greatest living pianist that almost no one has ever heard of," gushed Richard Dyer in the Boston Globe. Yet, apart from doing a John Prescott with the English language, I don't see why Dyer - or any critic who reviewed a Hatto disc in good faith - should be admonished.

There are those who are saying Hattogate is a human tragedy: an attempt by a loving husband to console his dying wife. Rubbish. Lots of people (my mother included) suffer terminal illness without pilfering other people's hard work.

Hatto and Barrington-Coupe were thoroughly dishonest, and Barrington-Coupe should be forced to face the music his wife lacked the talent to make.
http://tinyurl.com/ystphg

Elderly pair face art scam charges

Martin Wainwright
Friday April 27, 2007
The Guardian

A couple in their 80s and their sons were charged yesterday with conning a council into buying a fake ancient Egyptian statue that was supposed to put the Louvre's similiar piece of art in the shade.
Embarrassed town hall staff in Bolton were allegedly hoodwinked by George Greenhalgh, 83, and his wife Olive, 82, into paying nearly £440,000 for the 50cm (20in) image of the Amarna princess, said to represent Tutankhamun's sister. The statue was later found by experts to be many centuries short of its supposed age of 3,367 years. The couple appeared before Greater Manchester magistrates yesterday with their sons, George Junior, 52, and Shaun, 46, who are jointly accused of using their home in Bolton as a base for selling bogus antiques.

The parents and Shaun are accused of conspiring to defraud the arts and antique world by selling fake and forged work as genuine between 1989 and 2006. They are also charged with knowingly handling fake art and antiques and the money made from selling such items.
Mr Greenhalgh and his sons are charged with involvement in handling the cash transfer from Bolton council for the statue, whose purchase the council said at the time was a "bargain". It was really worth £1m, the council said in 2003.

The statue represented a daughter of the Pharaoh Akhenaten and Queen Nefertiti. The council paid for it by securing a grant of £360,000 from the National Heritage Memorial Fund, as well as £75,000 from the National Art Collections Fund, and £2,500 from the Friends of Bolton Museum and Art Gallery.

The allegedly bargain price had been attributed to the wish of the Bolton seller that the Amarna statue should stay in his native town. The relic occupied pride of place at Bolton Museum until a Metropolitan police inquiry in March last year. The inquiry followed suspicions raised by the appearance of a supposedly ancient Syrian sculpture sent to the British Museum some months earlier.

No pleas were entered. A further hearing will take place at the end of July.

The four defendants were given unconditional bail.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article ... 81,00.html
These old people, eh? You just can't trust 'em! ;)

Back