• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Torchwood: Dr Who Spin-Off With Captain Jack

Pietro_Mercurios said:
liveinabin1 said:

But no he carries on like it was only half an hour.
I remember when Angel's son, Connor, came back from the Hell dimension that Angel's arch Nemesis, Holtz, had kidnapped him to in order to raise as his own.

His mind poisoned by Holtz into becoming an instrument of vengeance, Connor tricked his real father, Angel, the vampire with a soul, sealed him in an iron coffin and dumped him at sea.

Angel was only consigned to a living death in the dark and watery depths for a few months, before his former friend, Wesley, who had betrayed Angel by helping Holtz to kidnap the baby Connor, finally rescued him.

Angel really did seem to have taken it all, quite badly,at the time. Took him quite a few episodes to recover.

Best not to dwell, though, eh? ;)

Huh?

Sorry, don't get the reference

And another thing...

What did Owen die (again) from? Given that he was already dead I can't see what the problem would be with the radiation.

liveinabin1 said:
And another thing...

What did Owen die (again) from? Given that he was already dead I can't see what the problem would be with the radiation.
I got the impression that the idea was that his body would simply decompose under the onslaught of the released radiation. I may be wrong...

A bit of a so-so episode, but not terrible. I'm sure a third series will be in the offing - and the two deaths give them a chance to revive the show with a new cast. Maybe Freema will be desperate for work, and will get a regular slot. Who knows, they may have lined up James Marsters as a regular?

On the subject of Marsters, I caught a bit of him on the "Declassified" show afterwards, and was surprised to find he was American. His accent in Torchwood and Buffy was fairly unaffected, so I assumed he was British. Odd, then, that they got a British actor to play Jack's American brother, and an American to play his British sidekick. And John Barrowman was born in Scotland, don't you know...

Oh, and Tosh mentioned the hospital and the "Spacepig" to Owen, confirming what Barfing Pumpkin and Alytha alluded to on the previous page.

Oh well, on to Dr Who. Must... avoid... bitchy... Catherine... Tate... comments. At least until after tonight's episode!

Peripart said:
Oh, and Tosh mentioned the hospital and the "Spacepig" to Owen, confirming what Barfing Pumpkin and Alytha alluded to on the previous page.

Just goes to show that the powers that be in Torchwood read this board and they wanted to clear up any confusion!

Russell T Gordon

Peripart said:
And John Barrowman was born in Scotland, don't you know...

I saw an interview with him and his sister, who co-wrote his autobiography, when he was taking to her he talked in a Scottish accent.
He explained this as follows: when we was 9 his family moved to America. At school he was mercilessly picked on for his Scottish accent, so he made it his business to acquire an American one as quickly as he could. However his family still had Scottish accents so he would still talk with a Scottish at home. Not unlike how someone might speak a different language at home. As he is most well known for having an American accent that is what he uses when in public, reverting to Scottish when he is with family.

Giving the characters a hard time is always a good idea, but this season finale ended up with half an hour of crying and dying that was excessively sentimental, never mind heavy handed. It started off OK, too! Why kill those two off at all?

I read that Mr Barrowman wasn't sure he wanted to come back for a third series, so we'll see.

gordonrutter said:
Peripart said:

Just goes to show that the powers that be in Torchwood read this board and they wanted to clear up any confusion!

Russell T Gordon
I still say that they shouldn't bother. Don't try to explain it. Maybe it was her, maybe it was her cousin, maybe it was someone else entirely.

And try and wipe the idea that Jack is The Face of Bo out as well. It's bad. It works better if they're different people.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
I remember when Angel's son, Connor, came back from the Hell dimension that Angel's arch Nemesis, Holtz, had kidnapped him to in order to raise as his own.

Ah yes. Them were the days, eh? ;)

Did anyone hear the Torchwood episode on Radio 4 this afternoon? I've tried to catch it on Listen Again but it kept buffering every couple of seconds so I had to give up. Anyone have any better luck (and is it worth it)?

It's OK, but the degree of scientific accuracy is on a par with most of Torchwood and Doctor Who. It's also pretty continuity-heavy and more like a bit of fanfic that a stand alone story.

Finally caught up with this, and I see what you mean about fanfic and bad science, if anything it was more religious than scientific. Reminded me of those Doctor Who audio adventures you can buy. And why do all aliens in radio plays sound the same?

Torchwood: Children of Earth starts next Monday, all next week through to Friday:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/torchwood/

The trailer doesn't look too bad, they're going apocalyptic with the plotline anyway. As long as it doesn't end up with lots of crying, then fine.

If you like your radio, there are three Torchwood plays on Radio 4 starting this Wednesday afternoon and going through to Friday.

Looks a bit like Children of the Damned meets the Quatermass Conclusion!

Anyone catch the radio plays? Sort of a not quite good enough for TV style about them, although they did share that earnestness which can kill the enjoyment. Even the jokes are earnest.

I've read next week's series isn't much good either, but we'll see.

Anyone watch it then? It was better than I expected, good cliffhanger, but the domestic stuff dragged it down. I suppose the Torchwood base does have a kitchen sink, but, you know...

It's good to know that photocopying your hand works as a pregnancy test though.

Very John Wyndham cosy catastrophe and the Midwich Cuckoos, Knigel Kneale (bits of Quatermass II and the Quatermass Conclusion), with an opening sequence that's Pied Piper of Hamelin. But with added sex.

Still quite fun though I'm not sure that they've actually got five hours of plot.

Just watched tonight's episode

- what a load of hokum! It was magnificent! :D

Excitement, humour, original scenarios - a laugh a minute! Loved it!

Quite a ripping yarn!!

I eagerly await tomorrow's offering! :goof:

Permanent Secretary to the Home Office John Frobisher reminded me of a cross between Mr. Bean and Jack Straw!

And Mr Dekker is a reincarnation of Q from the Bond films!

On the whole, this is typical pulp-SF 'Aliens invade Earth' stuff, but I liked Dekker's response to the question about why they used the children:

"Because they can, and to scare us.." :shock:

It was good, wasn't it? It surpassed last night's for fun levels, and we got to see John Barrowman's willy on CCTV.

QII was the first thing I thought of as well. It's rattling along marvellously though, innit :)?
rynner2 said:
Permanent Secretary to the Home Office John Frobisher reminded me of a cross between Mr. Bean and Jack Straw!
The Beeb missed a trick there. Speaking as someone who admires Peter Capaldi as Malcolm Tucker in "the Thick Of It", and as Torchwood has always proudly proclaimed its post-watershed credentials, Frobisher could have been given a splendid line in very creative invective :).

Many, many good examples of which can be found here, but to hear them in living colour is an education. Just imagine Frobisher grabbing the phone from the helpful PA, and saying: "Don't start with the moral objections, you f*cking Blue Peter badge wearing ponce! Go and make a contribution to the f*cking Amnesty International! Go and buy a goat a whole village can f*ck, but you are doing this for me!"

managed to grab the radio 4 broadcasts that serve as a prequel to the TV stuff. you'll have to be quick though.

not had a chance to listen to them yet.

It's typical Russel T Davies ripping off other ideas, although to be fair it's never done JJ Abrhams any harm either.

Over all I've enjoyed more than that Quatermass special of a couple years back and it has actually felt a bit more grown up than the previous two series. It always came across as a kids show with added blood and swearing to me, but perhaps the shorter run time and larger story have been beneficial.

I want to complain about the nudity in Torchwood

- we demand more female nudes! :D

It's a good thing Lois didn't already wear contact lenses, isn't it?

Hope they're not going to turn Captain Jack into a baddie, that would be an error of judgement, I think.

gncxx said:
It's a good thing Lois didn't already wear contact lenses, isn't it?

Ha ha, I was thinking of that myself tonight. A bit of a plot flaw.

Back