• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tracking COVID Lineages In Sewage

MrRING

Android Futureman
This may have been discussed, but I can't find out about it via a search. My brother talked about the fact that a novel COVID strain was being detected by sewage detection, and scientists believed it is from a single person who keeps pooping in a few specific toilets. Scientists are trying to track down the individual to figure out what is happening with that strain.

I was able to find this article which may be it:
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...-city-sewage-a-mysterious-coronavirus-signal/
In New York City sewage, a mysterious coronavirus signal
By EMILY ANTHES
The New York Times
Last January, a team of researchers searching for the coronavirus in New York City’s wastewater spotted something strange in their samples. The viral fragments they found had a unique constellation of mutations that had never been reported before in human patients — a potential sign of a new, previously undetected variant.

For the past year, these oddball sequences, or what the scientists call “cryptic lineages,” have continued to pop up in the city’s wastewater.

There is no evidence that the lineages, which have been circulating for at least a year without overtaking delta or omicron, pose an elevated health risk to humans. But the researchers, whose findings were to be published in Nature Communications on Thursday, still have no idea where they came from.

“At this point, what we can say is that we haven’t found the cryptic lineages in human databases, and we have looked all over,” said Monica Trujillo, a microbiologist at Queensborough Community College and an author of the new paper. The researchers themselves are torn about the lineages’ origins. Some lean toward the explanation that the virus is coming from people whose infections aren’t being captured by sequencing. But others suspect that the lineages may be coming from virus-infected animals, possibly the city’s enormous population of rats. Even then, the favored theory can change from day to day or hour to hour.
But it may not be it either. Has anybody heard anything about this? And the articles about this New York situation were all from February, which make me think that the serial cryptic COVID pooper story may have been updated to a single person, or it might be another story entirely.

This may have been discussed, but I can't find out about it via a search. My brother talked about the fact that a novel COVID strain was being detected by sewage detection, and scientists believed it is from a single person who keeps pooping in a few specific toilets. Scientists are trying to track down the individual to figure out what is happening with that strain.

I was able to find this article which may be it:
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...-city-sewage-a-mysterious-coronavirus-signal/

But it may not be it either. Has anybody heard anything about this? And the articles about this New York situation were all from February, which make me think that the serial cryptic COVID pooper story may have been updated to a single person, or it might be another story entirely.

More info:

Tracking cryptic SARS-CoV-2 lineages detected in NYC wastewater

maximus otter

Back