• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Train weirdness

hunck

Antediluvian
This happened a couple of months ago. I was attending a course which involved travelling from Archway station to High Barnet on the Northern Line.

I entered Archway station in the morning. A High Barnet train came along. I got on it. All fine and dandy and perfectly normal. Started reading my book, looking up occasionally. Highgate, East Finchley stations pass en route. The train definitely got to Finchley Central as I checked to see where I was at this point.

Continued reading my book. The carriage started filling up which is unusual as normally it tends to empty out when heading for High Barnet which is the end of the line. This vaguely registered as unusual with me but nothing more than that and I continued reading without checking progress, expecting to reach High Barnet in another 10 -15 minutes.

Next time I look to check where I am as the train comes into a station. It's Tufnell Park. One stop in the other direction from Archway where I'd got on!

It threw me into a state of total confusion. I was completely at a loss to understand what had happened. Got off the train, switched platforms, got another High Barnet train. Got there in about 30 mins. Missed the first 45 minutes of the course that day.

It had probably taken about 40 mins since I first boarded the original High Barnet train to arrive back at Tufnell Park. So I was either beamed Star Trek stylee onto another train heading in the opposite direction somewhere around or beyond Finchley Central, or the train scheduled to go to High Barnet didn't in fact go there and came back at some point. I think there would surely have been some sort of announcement if this was the case, maybe there was but I was too engrossed in my book to notice, and I also didn't notice re-entering a tunnel, which happens between East Finchley and Highgate . After Highgate it goes overground 'til High Barnet.

As far as I know, on this branch of the Northern Line, trains either go to High Barnet or Mill Hill East, in which case the train branches off after Finchley Central. It's quite a long stretch to Mill Hill East so it didn't go that way. It certainly said High Barnet on the front of the train and the sign on the platform.

It was one of those 'wtf' occurrences.

Thanks for sharing :) Trains & stations are odd places, I've had a few WTF moments myself with them!

The most likely explanation is there was a shortage of trains going to central london and big crowds were building up on the platforms, so they decided to re-route a northbound train back the other way, as few people are going outbound at that time in the morning. I have been daydreaming and missed such announcements.

I agree, it sounds like the train turned round at some point and you missed it. That to me seems very strange as when this happens there is an awful lot of activity in getting everyone off in an 'all change' situation and a guard or someone walks through the train to make sure it is empty. Then it goes on or back to the next points where the train can get on the other lines. It would be very difficult to miss all that unless you were asleep, which we assume you were not. That book must be good............. :)

So you don't go for the alien abduction explanation..... To be fair I don't have any evidence of anal probing.

The book actually wasn't that gripping - an Arthur C Clarke short story collection. Never did get to the end of them.

One time, about ten years ago I was on a long train journey and noticed a nice looking girl across the aisle, one row ahead, whose seat across from her was empty. I decided I'd chance my luck and took the seat, explaining going backwards makes me a bit dizzy as a conversation opener. What I didn't realise was that the train was about to leave the station, (Birmingham) going back into the same direction it had arrived from, meaning if I was to avoid 'feeling dizzy' I'd have to retake my old seat.
Apart from having to spend the rest of journey feeling like an idiot, I also learned trains sometimes behave in unexpected ways!!

Back