• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Translation Troubles

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Man stabbed over Eminem shirt translation

Perhaps that Jif/Cif, Marathon/Snickers things had a point??

Eminem Shirts Cause Deadly Stabbing

A trader selling Eminem branded T-shirts in Istanbul was stabbed to death on Tuesday (November 4) after a violent brawl broke out because of the merchandise, and what the rapper’s name means when translated to Turkish.

In an area just outside of the city, vendor Hayrettin Demir was approached by a young man, named as Dilaver Akkurt. who demanded he cease selling the shirts and stop yelling out the rapper’s name in his pitch to passers-by.

Akkurt returned later with friends and a fight broke out, resulting in Demir being stabbed several times. He died at the scene. Akkurt was also injured in the brawl, but is expected to recover. He remains in police custody but a friend of his is also suspected to have been involved in the murder, Turkish newspaper Hurriyet is reporting.

The shirts, which have photos and the rapper’s name on them, and in Turkish, “Eminem” translates as “My Emine.” Akkurt was said to have been offended by the shirts since his mother’s name is Emine.

This is something of a switch for the Detroit hip hop star whose lyrics have sometimes come under fire from activists accusing him of being anti-women and anti-gay in his music, but not necessarily anti-Dilaver Akkurt’s mum.

There is no word on whether the shirts were official Eminem merchandise or bootlegs.

The rapper’s camp had no immediate response to the incident.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?b=news&id=14444

Perhaps it is the equivalent of"Yo' momma......" as it just doesn't sound like something too serious.

Emps

Obviously the stabber had some other issues he has to deal with. Presumably from a jail cell.

How would you feel if there was a hit love song, or even one of those "get jiggy/sex you up/boom boom boom go back to my room" type songs, about a girl with your mother's name? Kind of put off, but not murderous in most people's instances.

But this will get reported as evidence that Muslim culture is totally repressive and violent, where it's really just one guy who seems to be hard of hearing and insane.

Utterly bizarre!

Actually I live in Istanbul, and it strikes me as being particularly rum as Eminem is almost a household name - you can buy pirate cd's on any main street, and he can be heard from tenement windows all over the city.

I shall take a look into this and report back should it not be dull ...

And the shirt was almost certainly hookey :)

Popeye said:
Too bad it wasn't Eminem himself who got stabbed.

I'm not into his tunes but that's a little harsh.

Further translation troubles

I might as well make this a general thread for translation troubles.

Anyway this sounds too good to be true and the source is the Weekly World News so............

Bogus Dictionary Lands Tourists In Trouble!

Thursday December 4, 2003

A practical joker has stirred up trouble by publishing a Japanese-to-English phrase book with incorrect definitions for every phrase!

Now thousands of Japanese tourists who've painstakingly studied the bogus dictionary in preparation for trips to America are arriving on our shores only to encounter blank stares, hysterical laughter or even brutal beatings as soon as they open their mouths.

"The man who compiled this dictionary clearly went out of his way to wreak havoc," says New York hotel concierge Jacqueline Porseman, who arranges tours for many VIP guests from Japan.

"For instance, when the Japanese think they're asking 'Can you direct me to the rest room?' the book actually has them saying, 'Excuse me, may I caress your buttocks?'

"And, the phrase for 'I am very pleased to meet you' is given as 'My friend, your breath could knock over a water buffalo.'"

At least 50,000 copies of the book have been sold in Japan in the past year and while the Japanese government has pulled the plug on further sales, copies still turn up in used bookstores and bargain-hunters snap them up.

"This is not a funny matter to us," says Hiro Suzuki of the Japanese embassy. "Our citizens who look forward to a pleasurable time in America are being laughed at, spat upon, roughed up and humiliated without knowing what they said wrong. Tourists have been found beaten to a pulp on street corners with this terrible phrase book still in their hands."

Among the nearly 2,300 incidents reported to the embassy:
A 29-year-old Tokyo man visiting San Francisco for the first time meant to ask a female store clerk, "May I please have film for my camera?" But what he actually said was, "Would you place your copious breasts in my mouth?" He was slapped in the face, then got tossed out by the manager.
Four family members from Osaka were thrilled see their favorite American singer coming out of a ritzy store in Beverly Hills. While waving frantically, they shouted out what they believed to be, "We love you so much." Unfortunately, what they really said was, "We're here to take your head." The four were arrested and detained for six hours by police.
A 45-year-old tourist from Okinawa looking for the legendary Apollo Theater in Harlem thought he was asking a group of young men, "I am lost. Which way is uptown?" In reality, he said, "I know martial arts. May I kick your ass?" He was chased five blocks before being rescued by police.

No one knows who's behind the elaborate hoax. Some suspect the editor-publisher of the book, identified only as "M.L. Tanaka," is a disgruntled former Japanese tourism official. Others insist the culprit is a U.S. autoworker who lost his job to Japan in the '80s.

Says Porseman, "If it's an American, I wonder how 'funny' he thinks it would be to visit a Sumo wrestling gym in Tokyo and think he's saying 'You guys are the best, keep it up,' when he's really saying, 'You have fat butts. Sit on my head.'

"It's not so amusing when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?"

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/wwn/20031204/107055000003.html

It's not big and it's not clever but it's very, very funny.....

Oh, i do hope it's a true story.

:rofl: :rofl:

Fantastic!!! Please God, let it be true!

Oooh, Lillith we are wicked aren't we?

It's a rip off from a Monty Pathon sketch, innit? You know, the one where Eric Idle is hauled up to Bow Street for publishing a Hungarian-English phrase book along the same lines...even down to the 'May I carress your buttocks?'' line...

It's got UL written all over it, but wouldn't it be grand if it were true? :)

While we are genralising the thread, shall we throw in unfortunate homophones? For example, the word for 'paralysis' in Turkish is...erm...'felch'...

And 'am' in Turkish is the place babies fall from...

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Apart from the "bad" dictionary, the chances of misinterpretation are quite many. Apart from really phonetically different languages, such as English-Japanese, surely there is quite a narrow number of sounds the human mouth can make in a language. So there's bound to be words shared by differing languages but with different meanings.

I've always liked "Gift". A present in English, it means "poison" in German. Great misunderstandings for Christmas!
:D

I recall a case of an unfortunate Japanese student in the US who didn't understand what "Freeze!" meant and continued approaching some guy with a rifle, and naturally got shot to death. :( The Japanese government took this case seriously enough to publish a phrase book of slang and other non-standard expressions to avoid similar pitfalls. But is it just the language barrier or the gun-culture society problem?

Gloria X said:
I recall a case of an unfortunate Japanese student in the US who didn't understand what "Freeze!" meant and continued approaching some guy with a rifle, and naturally got shot to death. :( The Japanese government took this case seriously enough to publish a phrase book of slang and other non-standard expressions to avoid similar pitfalls. But is it just the language barrier or the gun-culture society problem?

What makes it even more sad about this incident, the kid was dressed as John Travolta from 'Saturday Night Fever' and was on his way to a halloween party. I am quite sure it was very frightening for the guy to see some kid in a halloween costume approaching his house.:hmph:

Double entendres ahoy!!

Security bugs floor Google's Friendster-clone

By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
Posted: 27/01/2004 at 10:23 GMT

The name means "to cum" in Finnish slang - literally, to orgasm - but the Orkut social networking service that Google launched on Friday was utterly spent by Sunday afternoon.

Members of the Friendster-clone were greeted with a message that faded (stylishly) into view - the stylish fade-in coming from some piece of fancy script that only a web designer would think was important.

"We've taken orkut.com offline as we implement some improvements and upgrades suggested by users. Since orkut is in the very early stages of development, it's likely to be up and down quite a bit during the coming months."

Ah, just like a Microsoft program, we thought.

"None of the information you've entered will be deleted, and none of the connections you've made will be lost. And, if all goes well, you should see some significant improvements when we come back online.

"We'll send an email once everything is ready and running again. Thanks for your feedback and for bearing with us as we work our way up the learning curve."

What did the Orkut team learn? Well, it wasn't to do with scalability, as many of the wildly erroneous rumors flying around the Net at the weekend suggested. The Orkut programmers can put away that copy of "In Search of Clusters". Scalability is the art of keeping going while millions of new users arrive, and it's not trivial to fix, and it's plagued social network companies who have to draw maps of these social relationships. Friendster itself, for example, has given up drawing these complex webs in real time, and instead caches them overnight.

No, the problem was security. Sources close to Google suggest widespread XSS (cross-site scripting) hacks forced the closure of the service. It isn't clear how much personal data or communication was disclosed.

The major problem facing social networks is that they scarf up personal information far more efficiently than a Carnivore system. People really aren't going to trust them if they view these start-ups as honeypots for future marketroids to reap everything we didn't want them to know. Let alone allow a passing hacker to scarf up this potential archive of great exploitable value.

(While all this was happening, we must record that at this moment, a beatifically happy John Battelle drifted by, as if on a cloud playing a harp - quite oblivious to the panic at the Googleplex beneath.)

And not to bore you, but you've got to love how that recursive Privacy Statement shimmers into view. How do they do that?

While the service will no doubt splutter back into life, it's left many wondering whether Google was entirely serious about the exercise. Maybe you can figure out what's wrong with this story...

Google allows staff to spend twenty per cent of their time on their own projects. Having failed to acquire Friendster last year, Google was under some media pressure to create its own offering in a space that "experts" were telling us was "hot". An area that marketing consultants would advise adds "stickiness" to the site - if it wanted to be one of those "sticky portals" we read about years ago, in the late 1990s.

But for some strange reason, Google entrusted the Friendster-buster to a junior programmer to implement on a Windows system. Why on earth the proven masters of open source scalability chose to allow this to happen, puzzles us all. Maybe Orkut will come again - as a full fledged Google offering. Or perhaps the name is a clue. Perhaps Google really doesn't take "social networking" as a business concept that deserves anything closer than arm's length circumspection, very seriously at all. And perhaps that's a very good call. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35129.html

I've just heard mention that the Greek Olympic commentators have been avoiding saying Pippa Funnell's name and instead use the full verison of her name Philippa as the translation of Pippa into Greek is filthy but I can't find any actual news reports on this. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

i just asked my father and he said it means "pipe". i don't know if there is some slang meaning that he is too old to know or if they perhaps are just scared of making some kind of drug reference, or if they just thought that calling a person that sounded a bit weird!

fluffle: Thanks for checking - I checked a Greek/French dictionary (which is the closest I had to hand) which didn't help.

I believe it is posisble a reference to a man's pink oboe (and possibly the playing of it by a second party) or something.

Emperor said:
I've just heard mention that the Greek Olympic commentators have been avoiding saying Pippa Funnell's name and instead use the full verison of her name Philippa as the translation of Pippa into Greek is filthy but I can't find any actual news reports on this. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
They have a problem with "Pippa"? How many English speaking commentators are giggling about having to pronounce "Funnell"?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1285890,00.html

Microsoft pays dear for insults through ignorance
Paul Brown, environment correspondent
Thursday August 19, 2004
The Guardian

Insensitive computer programmers with little knowledge of geography have cost the giant Microsoft company hundreds of millions of dollars in lost business and led hapless company employees to be arrested by offended governments.
The problem has damaged the company's reputation and the "trust rating," which is seen as key to keeping the company competitive, has dropped, a senior Microsoft executive revealed yesterday at the International Geographers Conference in Glasgow.

In a frank assessment of the company's problems in trying to be a global player without offending local sensibilities, Tom Edwards, its senior geopolitical strategist, said employees' lack of basic geography was to blame.

The company has now launched geography classes for its staff to avoid further bloomers which have caused embarrassment and cost money on a grand scale. He said that as a geographer himself it was depressing that Americans had a reputation for being particularly unaware of the rest of the world. The annual National Geographic Survey had thrown up the sad fact that only 23 out of 56 young Americans knew the whereabouts of the Pacific Ocean.

"It is therefore no surprise that some of our employees, however bright they may, have only a hazy idea about the rest of the world," he said. "The repercussions on us can be very serious."

As an American company with a global reach, Microsoft had to try and foster trust for reliability of its software and not cause offence.

He said in all cases the mistakes made were simply through ignorance but this was not how they were seen in the countries concerned. They were all seen as deliberate policy and so the offence taken was far greater as a result.

Perhaps the best known, and one of the most expensive, errors was a colour-coded world map showing time zones, which showed the disputed Jammu-Kashmir region as not being in India - an offence under Indian law. The mistake led to the whole of the Windows 95 operating system being banned in the country, losing large sales. For its replacement, Microsoft, Office 97, Microsoft removed the colour coding and sold 100,000 copies in India.

Mr Edwards said the decisions on what to do about disputes arising over Microsoft products was taken entirely on commercial grounds.

For example when employees were arrested in Turkey because Kurdistan had been shown as a separate entity on maps of the country, a decision was taken to remove Kurdistan from all maps.

"Of course we offended Kurds by doing this but we had offended the Turks more and they were a much more important market for our products. It was a hard commercial decision, not political."

One mistake that caused catastrophic offence was a game called Kakuto Chojin, a hand to hand fighting game. The fighting went on with rhythmic chanting in the background which in reviewing the game Mr Edwards noticed appeared to be Arabic.

"I checked with an Arabic speaker in the company who was also a Muslim about what the chant meant and it was from the Koran. He went ballistic. It was an incredible insult to Islam." He asked for the game to be withdrawn but it was issued against his advice in the United States in the belief that it would not be noticed.

Three months later, the Saudi Arabian government made a formal protest. Microsoft withdrew the game worldwide.

His investigations showed the Japanese, who had developed the game for Microsoft, had added the chant to the tape because they liked the sound of it without checking its origins. "They were chastised and corrected," he said.

Mr Edwards said it was better to be honest and open about these mistakes. It was all part of rebuilding that vital trust in the product.

Expensive oversights

· A game called Age of Empires 2 offended the Saudi Arabian authorities because it showed victorious Muslim armies turning churches into mosques. The game was withdrawn from sale in the kingdom

· The Korean government, objected because Microsoft software showed the national flag in reverse. The software had to be changed.

· The Spanish version of Windows used the word Hembra - meaning "woman" in Spain - for choosing gender. But in some Central American republics, notably Nicaragua, the word is an insult meaning "bitch". The programme was changed.

· Microsoft employees were questioned by police in China, where it is an offence to refer to Taiwan as country or as the Republic of China. Now Taiwan is not referred to as country and all software worldwide avoids the issue by referring to places as "regions or districts".

· Uruguay is a republic and proud if it but in Microsoft's Outlook in Uruguay, the company offended the government by describing Tuesday April 30 as the queen's birthday.

Howlers by Indian typists could put patients in danger

The use of Indian secretaries to type up British patients' medical notes is leading to cases of confusion, it was claimed yesterday.

A drug for stomach ulcers called Lansoprazole was transcribed as the much more familiar holiday destination of Lanzarote.

Information about a patient's "phlebitis [vein inflammation] left leg" was typed out as "flea bite his left leg".

A "below knee amputation" was transcribed as "baloney amputation" and "eustachian tube [in the ear] malfunction" was given as "Euston station tube malfunction".

I'm informed that "pippa" is common Greek slang used to refer to a performance of the art of fellatio.

Also known as a "BJ"

Arthur ASCII said:
I'm informed that "pippa" is common Greek slang used to refer to a performance of the art of fellatio.
How, interesting, in Dutch, it's "pijp" (or "pijpen"), pronounced, "pipe."

I'm not sure it comes from the word for a tobacco pipe, or if that's where the word for a tobacco pipe comes from. :confused:

In German it's 'jemandem einen blasen' (a blow job). I would have thought the Dutch and German would have been similar.

Which brings us back to JFK's famous 'I am a dougnut' speech. He should have said 'Ich bin Berliner', instead of 'Ich bin ein Berliner'.

Didn't Gerald Ford make a mistake in a speech to some Poles (I think) - he told them in Polish that he desired them carnally instead of being pleased to see them . . .

Carole

www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10507795^421,00.html

Poms want Aussies to talk proper
August 20, 2004

STONE the bloody crows! Wotcha mean, we can't speak English?

Australians wanting to become British citizens must prove they can speak English under new rules introduced by the British Government.

The rules will also apply to other nationalities that claim English as their first language, including Canadians, Americans, New Zealanders and South Africans.

According to one report two Australians ,including a knight who has lived in Britain for 44 years and a writer with a degree in English, have been rejected under the new rules.

Australians have needed five years' residence in Britain to go through the naturalisation process, one that has a seven-month waiting list. But the language test is a new hurdle.

What next? A dictation test in a language of the immigration officer's choice?

If they're going to be like that, they can have all their backpackers back.

From the World Wide Words newsletter:
MACHINE TRANSLATION Following my little item on this subject last
week, lots of messages came in quoting examples of strange computer
translations. Julian Calvert remembers working on a project for a
major German car maker in the late 1980s using a then state-of-the-
art translation package. Howlers included turning "suction pipe"
into "pig gliding" (through reading "Saugleitung" as Sau + Gleitung
instead of Saug + Leitung). He also remembers the software turning
"Kathoden" (cathodes) into "cat testicle".

But any translation is open to error, even when a human being is
involved, as John McNeil pointed out in an e-mail from New Zealand:
"My wife and I host many Asian students, and last week one gave me
a gift of a pen and pencil set. The set (purporting to have been
manufactured in the USA), came with the following instructions:
'Usage: Dipping penpoint into ink, circumgyrating sopping up in
strument for ink and revolving penholder tight.' As Flanders and
Swann said in one of their skits: so we did that!"

Molly Wolf contributed a fond memory of her days of editing texts:
"In Canada, all published government documents are ultimately
published in both English and French editions. One Parks Canada
historian, many years ago, prepared a report (in French) on an
18th-century fortification that had fraises - stakes driven into
the ground close together and on an angle, as a quite formidable
barricade. The English translation was much gentler: there were
'strawberries on the ramparts'."

Just read in the paper this morning at the barbers: - Can't remember the precise details. I can't remember if the village is called Winthropp or Blenkinsopp, sorry.

A woman phoned up her optitian to get a new pair of glasses delivered to her house in the small hamet-village of Winthropp. When the receptionist was taking the address down she was told; 'That's Winthropp with two 'p's.'

Upon delivery the address on the label was: Winthrop Two Peas.

Much hilarity.

I am told that a music-shop assistant had jotted down an order which baffled the bods at head office:

Kodály: Buttocks Pressing Song.

They searched the works of the famous Hungarian composer for a title which suggested a bit of folksy-goosing. To no avail.

Eventually someone with phonetics skills came up with the solution. It was a request for a Russian song:

"Could I but express in song . . ."

The composer was Malashkin. for those who care about the details.

:)

caroleaswas said:
"Didn't Gerald Ford make a mistake in a speech to some Poles (I think) - he told them in Polish that he desired them carnally instead of being pleased to see them . . ."

Carole, this was Jimmy Carter, Ford's successor.

But it was the fault of Carter's American translator, rather than of the President himself.

The translator spoke perfect NINETEETH CENTURY Polish, which had descended in pristine shape generation-by-generation through his Polish- American family, sufficiently so that he easily passed all the tests for governmental language service.

Alas, living languages CHANGE over the course of a century.

Learn Japanese Quickly

According to my late Dad (who was there as a USAAF Staff Sergeant) a lot of young and immature American G. I.s fresh from the farm in immediate post-War Japan deduced that since the Japanese word for cigarette is "cigaretto" and chocolate is "chocolato," and the commonest form of greeting is "o-hi-o," that Japanese must simply be English with the letter "O" added to the end of every word.

"Pardano meo, Siro (Madamo) buto cano youo pleaso pointo outo to-o meo theo generalo directiono ofo theo Americano Airo Baso?"

Volkswagen Removes Billboards From 3 Cities After Complaints

POSTED: 12:06 am EST March 18, 2006

MIAMI -- Volkswagen said Friday it will remove billboards in New York, Los Angeles and Miami after receiving complaints that a word used in an advertisement was offensive to Hispanics.

The ad for the new GTI 2006 had a photo of the sports car accompanied by the words "Turbo-Cojones." Cojones, which means testicles in Spanish, has become a casually used term for boldness or guts in English but has never lost its more vulgar connotations in its native language.

A billboard in the Miami neighborhood of Little Havana generated complaints, and the company decided to remove it Wednesday, said Steve Keyes, a Volkswagen spokesman. Volkswagen AG has received no complaints for its billboards in New York and Los Angeles but decided to pull them anyway.

Ana Roca, a professor of Spanish and linguistics at Florida International University, said the English usage of the word "doesn't have the same power it has in Spanish."

"People who are reading it in a Spanish neighborhood, it will have a different effect for them ... because they realize the real connotation," Roca said.

Keyes said the original billboard was not intended to offend anyone. Instead, it was an attempt to convey that the GTI is a "high-performance sports car," he said.

The billboards will be replaced with two ads, with one saying "Here today, gone tamale" and the other "Kick a little gracias."

-----------
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

www.local6.com/news/8092746/detail.html

Back