• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Transmitters

A

Anonymous

Is it me or as anyone noticed a dramatic increase in those mobile phone transmitters? They just look a bit suspicious to me and i was joking with my dad that there probably mind control devices. I've seen them all over the place, such as on factory chimeys and stuff. Also I saw one and then another one less than 100 ft from it. Surely you wouldn't need two in such close proximity? What does everyone think?

jimboak47 said:
Also I saw one and then another one less than 100 ft from it. Surely you wouldn't need two in such close proximity? What does everyone think?

Sorry if this has been mentioned in 'the other thread', which I couldn't find, but each transmitter will be for a different network. It does make sense that they would be clustered together as if somebody is prepared to lease their land for one transmitter then why not make even more money by contacting further networks. Also, for decent coverage then all the networks would want to put their transmitters in the best (highest and for lease) places, which is the same place for every network.

Yeah very true I didn't think of it like that. I had a feeling it had already been covered in another thread somewhere. Its just they seem to be popping up all over the place really quickly.

Could it be connected to all the sad people who have got mobile phones, I wonder?

(What I find more intreging, is the transmitters disguised as other things.)

They are all there to monitor our movements when we are implanted with RFID chips - see the ID card and Verichip threads Ad Nauseum

*Heckler smiles imperceptably as he lifts the receiver of the archaic red phone on his gargantuan desk and whispers menacingly "MikeP has made the connection, scramble the black helicopters, eliminate him"*

No, it's much simpler than that - they're there to provide good mobile phone coverage, so they can track you by your mobile.

Expect to see a spate of new mobile services which will make it increasingly essential to carry your mobile at all times. It's all part of the plot, I tell you...

<Ducks down as black helicopter hovers nearby>

<HA shuffles though boxes of junk she has ammassed in her nesting box.>

pounces

"look, a CB."

Wembley said:
No, it's much simpler than that - they're there to provide good mobile phone coverage, so they can track you by your mobile.
There was a case recently where a home-built boat on a long passage from the East Coast developed a leak and sank. The VHF was useless because of water, and the hand-held VHF didn't work, so the crew called the Coastguard on a mobile.

But the link was lost before they could give their position, but the CG were able to get in contact with the phone company, and they were able to give an approximate fix on the transmission, off the Essex coast, leading to the rescue of the crew.

I don't know the full details of this incident but the rule is when making a distress call:

Give your boat name/callsign, followed immediately by your position.
(All other details are subsidiary to the position, even the number of Persons On Board.)

Mobile phones: your own personal tracking beacon
When your mobile phone is switched on, your cellular network provider knows exactly where you are in the world to within a hundred metres or so.

Similar technology is used to track down lost aircraft and yachts through their radio beacons. It's not identical, because most radio beacons use satellites and cell phones use land-based aerial arrays, but the principle is the same.

At any one time, your phone is usually able to communicate with more than one of the aerial arrays provided by your phone network. They're ten or twenty kilometers apart (less in cities) and it's usually within range of at least three of them. So by comparing the signal strengths and time lags for the signals at each station, your network can triangulate your position and work out where you are.

This is true whenever your phone is switched on, whether you're using it or not, because every so often it sends out a check signal to make sure everything is working as it should.

Not surprisingly, the phone network companies are shy about admitting they have this ability. But within the industry, it's seen as just one more piece of data. There is even talk of selling the data to Internet content providers so they can send information to your Internet phone based on your location, for example reviews of nearby restaurants.

The triangulation capability of cell phone network companies varies according to the age of their equipment. A few can only do it manually with a big drain on skilled manpower. But these days most companies can generate the information automatically, which makes it cheap enough to sell.

Source

Who needs a chip in your arm when your mobile does it already?

There's a website- www.followus.co.uk where you can track where your phone is if you put your name down. Soong has it on my phone, mainly because of my tendency to be off all over the country at a moments notice, and his horrific memory when I tell him that I'm off.

http://www.followus.co.uk

The accuracy they report is about 100m in a built up area. So THEY can't really tell whether you are being a happy consumer in Starbucks or plotting insurrection in the anarchist bookshop across the road.

Of course 3g phones have GPS built into them so you can now be tracked to within a few metres however the phone companies were sensitive to people's concerns and there is an option to turn the GPS off.

If you're wondering why a phone needs GPS, it's all to do with the mapping programs that come with the phones that allow you to discover where the nearest cash machine, hotel, pub, supermarket, cinema, theatre, doctors, etc, etc is.

Undetectable sites are brilliant, I visit a lot of their sites and they are real works of art, so brilliantly done that everyone is completly oblivious to them. Well, until I turn up with a dirty great big cherrypicker that is.

I do wonder though whether it is really worth going to all this effort as I met a chap this week who was very keen to find out exactly what a mobile phone mast looked like. It was a little awkward pointing out that they look just like the thing that was 200metres from his front door!

There used to be, perhaps there still is (not been down that way for a while) a truly terrible fake tree radio-mast inside the M25 between junctions 3 and 4. I assume it was a mobile phone mast, I can't think what else a fake tree that size could be.

Back