• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

transported stuff

myersmaryb

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
i'm not sure how to explain this so I will just dive right in. Many years ago I was laying a pattern out on the dining room table; pinning it to the fabric so I could cut it out for sewing. There was nothing in this room except the dining table, six chairs, a buffet, fireplace hearth and mantle, and a window and sill. I had a small pink plastic box of pins that i was using to pin the fabric to the pattern. At some point I set the box down to rearrange the pattern. When I reached for the box of pins they were not there. I looked all over the table, in the chair seats, on the mantle, window sill, buffett, all over the floor. I ended up practically taking the room apart but never found the box of pins. I had been using the pins prior to setting them down so I know I had them in the room with me and I had not left the room at all and no one had come into the room. I ended up going to the store and buying another box of pins. We are a military family so we moved often and I figured when we packed up to move again the pins would surface. I thought of this a year later when we did pack to move and still never saw them. it's as if they disappeared off the face of the earth. There has never been a logical explanation for this. This happened about 20 years ago and I still wonder if I will someday be sitting at the table and have a pink box of pins fall from the ceiling.

Is it me, or is it always small items that disappear / re-appear like this?

I guess one taking a psychological view could claim that it's always items so mundane that they go unnoticed day-to-day.

But you never hear good documented cases about annoyed wildebeast appearing in people's parlors.

It seems like this kind of thing is fairly common, that most people have first - or second hand experience of it. I'm sure a lot of it is mere absent-mindedness and the coping strategies we normally develop to deal with it. But I can't help but think that some actually wierd occurrances get overlooked because of that.

Also, doesn't it often seem to be metal objects?

myersmaryb said:
i'm not sure how to explain this so I will just dive right in. Many years ago I was laying a pattern out on the dining room table; pinning it to the fabric so I could cut it out for sewing. There was nothing in this room except the dining table, six chairs, a buffet, fireplace hearth and mantle, and a window and sill. I had a small pink plastic box of pins that i was using to pin the fabric to the pattern. At some point I set the box down to rearrange the pattern. When I reached for the box of pins they were not there. I looked all over the table, in the chair seats, on the mantle, window sill, buffett, all over the floor. I ended up practically taking the room apart but never found the box of pins. I had been using the pins prior to setting them down so I know I had them in the room with me and I had not left the room at all and no one had come into the room. I ended up going to the store and buying another box of pins. We are a military family so we moved often and I figured when we packed up to move again the pins would surface. I thought of this a year later when we did pack to move and still never saw them. it's as if they disappeared off the face of the earth. There has never been a logical explanation for this. This happened about 20 years ago and I still wonder if I will someday be sitting at the table and have a pink box of pins fall from the ceiling.

Maybe they'll reappear with the people in that house?

Hello and welcome myersmaryb! No idea where the pins went. hopefully no one will sit on them when they do turn up...

Usually it is small items, and usually it's selective blindness or the physics of gravity - but sometimes it's not, and this sounds like one of them.

You might still get them back if you ask the fairies for them.

Excuse me if I've told this story before. I probably have, but it is my second-best Fortean story (the bilocating kitten being the best).

I am forever losing track of my books. This is because I tend to carry them around, often walking while reading, and if in transit from the balcony to the dining room the dryer warns me it's about to stop and wrinkle all the clothes, then I'll set the book down, remove and fold the laundry, transfer the wash to the dryer, put in the next load, realize there's a hawk in the backyard and spend time watching it, make lunch, get the mail, read the magazine that came, and then want my book and look for it on the balcony where I remember reading it last, when it's on top of the toaster or something.

However, on one occasion, I KNOW the fairies ran off with it, because I was reading in the game room and, on being called away, deliberately left it OPEN on the PILLOW. This was a sizable library hardback, and it was gone when I got back. So I retraced my steps, thinking I must have done my usual thing even though I remembered distinctly where I left it this time and it hadn't been long. The route took me back to the game room, where there was no book. I was POSITIVE I remembered leaving it there, so I PICKED UP the pillow and looked behind it, felt the place I remembered leaving the book on (in case my selective blindness was unusually strong), couldn't find it. So I did a circuit of the house, came back, still no book. I asked the fairies to give it back, went out, came in again, no book.

So, time for the big guns. I went to my husband, with whom the fairies hardly ever screw around and told him the whole story with five part harmony and feeling. He went to the game room.

Where my book lay.
Open.
On the pillow.
On the couch.
Where I remembered leaving it.

Stupid fairies.

A few years ago, I went to my bedroom and unlocked a small safebox where I kept my loose cash and in which I knew that I had 2 one pound coins - nothing else, just 2 one pound coins (sadly enough). I opened the safebox and was rather surprised to find it empty. Obviously empty. A little black tray sits in the top, which is where the coins should have been, but was definitely little, black and empty. I took it out and looked underneath - nothing, just the empty cash box. I was confused because I had seen the coins there earlier in the day and I had the only key with me the whole time. Remembering what I had read in the letters page of the FT, I closed and locked the box, then rather sheepishly asked the empty room to give me my money back, please. I felt a strange doubling sensation, or a very brief dizziness and my heart started beating a bit faster and I knew the money was back in the cash box. So I unlocked it, opened it and there were the two one-pound coins sitting in the little black tray, looking very obvious.

I took my money out, realised what had just happened was supposedly impossible, then scarpered...after saying thank you!

Edited for spelling.

Dragging out this old thread… :D

I have a luggage insurance policy* for which I have conspicuous plastic baggage tags. Last year I took one off a suitcase and put it into a laptop case to keep it safe. I chose a particular pocket in the case so I'd remember where it was.

A few days later I wanted it but couldn't find it, even after emptying all the pockets and turning the bag upside down and banging it on the floor.
I spent a good quarter-hour rifling it but couldn't find the tag and I swear it wasn't there.

About a week later I slipped my hand into a pocket on the same case and found the tag, exactly where I'd put it!

So I immediately fastened the tag onto another suitcase where I could see it every day and it hasn't disappeared since. :lol:

*You get a number to text to if your luggage goes missing and the staff track it down for you. An airline once managed to lose my bag at Frankfurt on the way to China. The tag service sorted it out in time. :D

Back