• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Trousers Smell Of Old Lady

"I wanted to strangle my mother but I'd have to touch her to do it."

...and then I might never be able to wash the smell of cat piss and old lady off my hands... followed by the stench following him everywhere, driving him insane until he admits everything in a fit of delirium
I want to come to your creative writing class.

What does geriatric flatus have to do with Euclidien geometry?

EG.jpg

Re the sense of smell and dementia, I also think the sense of taste goes too
ence the problems sometimes encountered in getting dementia sufferers to eat.

Re the sense of smell and dementia, I also think the sense of taste goes too
ence the problems sometimes encountered in getting dementia sufferers to eat.

I'm not sure that's down to the loss of sense of taste though. My mum lost her sense of taste and smell in her mid fifties, but ate like a horse right up to her death (from dementia). I think the reluctance to eat might be something to do with the sense of being 'forced'? Babies (whose sense of taste seems to be quite acute) will often refuse to be fed, but will happily feed themselves (with concommitant mess).

I'm not sure that's down to the loss of sense of taste though. My mum lost her sense of taste and smell in her mid fifties, but ate like a horse right up to her death (from dementia). I think the reluctance to eat might be something to do with the sense of being 'forced'? Babies (whose sense of taste seems to be quite acute) will often refuse to be fed, but will happily feed themselves (with concommitant mess).

Many older people just lose their appetites. They're not hungry, no matter how patiently they're fed by anxious staff or relations.

Some years ago I was working in a care home where a friend's elderly Gran was convalescing. Food was left in front of Gran but she wasn't eating. It was being taken away untouched.

I discreetly advised Friend and her mother to go in at least once a day to feed Gran or she'd starve. They did so and as far as I know Gran recovered quite well.
She later died but not of starvation!

I truly despair at how old people are sometimes treated in this country.
:(
I agree .. another problem some have is loneliness when their partner dies. I was an inpatient at the Norfolk and Norwich a few years back, another patient was the elderly woman who lives a few doors down from us's husband, he died there but I'd told him me and the Mrs would keep an eye on his wife if anything went wrong with his op which it did. She chats my arse off when I'm trying to get to work on time so we set off ten minutes earlier, she's got a best mate and is mobile so she isn't totally isolated thankfully. And her dog Daisy. We do odd jobs if she asks us to.

I agree .. another problem some have is loneliness when their partner dies. I was an inpatient at the Norfolk and Norwich a few years back, another patient was the elderly woman who lives a few doors down from us's husband, he died there but I'd told him me and the Mrs would keep an eye on his wife if anything went wrong with his op which it did. She chats my arse off when I'm trying to get to work on time so we set off ten minutes earlier, she's got a best mate and is mobile so she isn't totally isolated thankfully. And her dog Daisy. We do odd jobs if she asks us to.
You'll get stars in your crown wherever you go:atom:

Bear with me.

Today I decided to change the bedding and, as is my wont, I also change my pyjamas. My clean sets live on top of a trunk in my bedroom, as I have problems with dust mite allergies so keep them in the open air.

I picked up my pyjama set. These ones are brushed cotton, haven't been worn since spring, as are a bit warm. So, the top is fine, smells just of 'sitting on the trunk'. The trousers, however, smell of 'old lady'. The particular smell of a mix of lavender, soap, talc, I don't know what it is, but it's very reminiscent of little old ladies. Nothing else anywhere in the room has the same smell, although I do have some 'old lady' soap in a drawer, rescued from my late aunt's house.

I hung them on the line to get them aired, kept sniffing them (all right, I know that is odd, but so is unexpectedly finding that your trousers smell of octogenarian) and the smell hung on. Fetched them in to put on - smell gone.

No little old ladies have borrowed my nightwear. So why that smell, and why just those items?
If the trunk is leather it's quite likely the warm weather reactivated a scent that was in there a long time ago from old lady clothes.
I bought a small leather suite which was fine until one day I decided to polish it. The room immediately filled with a smell of pipe smoke (quite pleasant) and wet dog (not so much).

First thing that pops into my head at the mention of old-lady-smell is moth pheromones. And wee.

Fabulous article, thanks for posting the link, CN!
I especially appreciated this part : "An earlier study found that, compared with people aged 25 to 40, people over age 40 have higher levels of a fragrant organic compound known as 2-nonenal in their sweat and on their skin . . . described as having an "unpleasant grassy and greasy odor," . . . But the compound has also been linked to the scent of cucumbers and aged beer, which are not distasteful to most people; others have compared old people smell to old book smell, which most people find benign at worst and enjoyable at best."
Frankly, I think old books smell like dust and chocolate, but that's just me. :reading:

I especially appreciated this part :..

[...]

"An earlier study found that, compared with people aged 25 to 40, people over age 40 have higher levels of a fragrant organic compound known as 2-nonenal in their sweat and on their skin...

...the compound has also been linked to the scent of cucumbers and aged beer, which are not distasteful to most people; others have compared old people smell to old book smell, which most people find benign at worst and enjoyable at best."
I so concurred! The smell of cucumber? That's a new one for me! :huh:

Freshen up your flaps? With lux kabab? To stop old kipper stink?
(I would have wanted to kill the advertiser.)

Puts a new light on Jabberwocky, doesn't it.
"All mimsy were ye borogoves"

As evidently was this... although I have no idea what it means...

What it means is that you're gullible enough to be taken in by PhotoShopped / hoaxed pics.

Here's the real ad ...

LuxSoap-KimNovak.jpg

Is this what it looks like? And that was actually socially acceptable???

Considering the pic is from PhotoShop / photo mod contest site FreakingNews ... No, and no ...

If the trunk is leather it's quite likely the warm weather reactivated a scent that was in there a long time ago from old lady clothes.
I bought a small leather suite which was fine until one day I decided to polish it. The room immediately filled with a smell of pipe smoke (quite pleasant) and wet dog (not so much).

The trunk is wood and was handmade for me by a joiner friend, otherwise I would have gone for this explanation!

Back