• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tubular Bells Tune

MaxMolyneux

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I know because of the Exorcist like people might think thats why it gives a spooky sound.

But the opening theme sounds spooky anyway.

Was Oldfield into spooky sounding songs to have influenced it?

Stops sounding spooky though halfway into it.

Or was he just into orchestra type music?

His Wiki anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubular_Bells

It's my ring tone :)

There are definetely tunes that spook us for example most of us are old enough to have associations with the old Dr Who music so we associate that with spookieness. A friend of mine was listening to a cd of the Dr Who music (before alll the recent stuff started) and his nieces were around - they had never heard the music before bu they urged their unlce Dougie to turn it off as it was spooking them, perhaps I should get himt o try Tubular Bells on them!

Gordon

barfing_pumpkin said:
My girlfriend hates it with a passion. It terrifies her.

Haha you can always use that when you want revenge on her. :twisted: :p

The Obscuro French Prog-Rock band MAGMA have a very similar tune on one of their albums (MEKANIK DESTRUCTIV KOMMANDOH, which is excellent but a little scary) as the main theme. They claim they were recording in the same studio as Oldfield, and basically he nicked their melody. Then they had to change their style completely because people just thought they did horror music.

The song in the Exorcist is only the first portion of the song. The album it's from (Tubular Bells) was recorded as just two songs, a song for each side, and is very experiemntal. In fact, the "Tubular Bells" song ends with a long suit with Mike Oldfield the multi-instrumentalist playing the same riff over and over again through different instruments, with vocal breaks to tell you what instrument he's changing to. And the final bit is when he says "Tubular Bells".

Very experiemntal, in an ultimately less interesting way than the Eno/Fripp recordings from around the same time.

The theme song from TV's "Unsolved Mysteries" show seems to have been derived from it IMO.

MrRING said:
The song in the Exorcist is only the first portion of the song. The album it's from (Tubular Bells) was recorded as just two songs, a song for each side, and is very experiemntal. In fact, the "Tubular Bells" song ends with a long suit with Mike Oldfield the multi-instrumentalist playing the same riff over and over again through different instruments, with vocal breaks to tell you what instrument he's changing to. And the final bit is when he says "Tubular Bells".

Very experiemntal, in an ultimately less interesting way than the Eno/Fripp recordings from around the same time.

Ommadawn's where it's at. I love that music, it reminds me of winter pre-dawns in Blighty.

H_James said:
The Obscuro French Prog-Rock band MAGMA have a very similar tune on one of their albums (MEKANIK DESTRUCTIV KOMMANDOH, which is excellent but a little scary) as the main theme. They claim they were recording in the same studio as Oldfield, and basically he nicked their melody.

Well, he's certainly milked it for all it's worth - what with The Orchestral Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 2, Tubular Bells 3, and Tubular Bells 2003 (with John Cleese filling in for the late Viv Stanshall). Yes - it's a fine theme - but for goodness sake, enough already, Mike!

There's a rather good Oldfield tribute site here, with rather nifty Midi versions of a lot of his stuff (suitable for polyphonic ringtones.)

I know he does milk it a bit, but I'm very fond of our Michael's stuff :).

The Tubular Bells sea shanty bit on part 2 doesn't sound all that scary.

I always find Oxygene by Jean Michelle Jarre haunting. Also 'In the House in a Heartbeat' fom 28 Days later soundtrack.

Tubular Bells is playing later in the Exorcist, as a piece of incidental music. In the scene in Karris's dorm room, a section from part 2 of TB can be heard playing in an ajoining room.

In had a chat with Mr Oldfield over the phone. He talks really quickly.

That is all.

MrRING said:

Yeah he does.

Kinda goes too techno to mix with the spooky opening though.

The "Tubular Bells" album has a track on it called "Piltdown man" or something similar, where the vocals come in VERY suddenly and sound like an almost-human creature speaking something unintelligible through a mouthful of mud. The first time I heard it in the 70's, hot on the heels of a visit to "The Exorcist", I almost crapped myself :shock:

I havent seen the film but when I borrowed the Excorcist to read, someone also leant me Tubular bells at the same time. I was listening to it while reading the book. When I found out they used it on the film I decided never to watch it. I have since seen the clips which scare me just for that reason. :shock:

Back