• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Two telephone tings ... is it just me ?!?!

darrg

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My telephone goes 'ting' twice in succession once every evening between 19.30 and 20.45. The same thing has happened in every place I've lived for the past fifteen years. Is it Menwith Hill giving up on the hope of hearing anything seditious for another evening? I lived with a telecom engineer in one place and he couldn't explain it.

I was brought up within a few miles of Rudloe manor in Wiltshire UK (of secret store / secret bunker / MIB infamy) so perhaps they're following me! One of my old teachers used confidently to proclaim that all the 'phones in the Rudloe area were tapped. I wonder what happened to him ...

Any suggestions as to what this might be welcomed, if I'm not spirited away before I get a chance to read them :cry:

sounds like you have a poor quality line and old equipment at the local exchange. occasionally a short at the exchange will send a weak signal down the ring pair of your phone line. its probably some old equipment at the exchange restarting. I have come across similar all over the country. it happens less because most local exchanges have been upgraded fairly recently.

I've had this happen to me too.
I'd go with what bringerofbroom says.

We used to get this in North London, but later every evening (10-11 pm).

Someone said it was an automatic test signal sent out by the exchange ; presumably they're checking the network is still there - before the advent of mobiles it would have been difficult to phone up and say 'our village has lost all its phone lines' so there has to be some sort of automatic checking.

THen again, maybe it's MI5. Or MI6. Or whoever else you have annoyed...

Cheers for all this - I don't feel like so much of a threat to the state anymore (unless you lot are all engaged in a cover-up conspiracy :)

...Get the same thing over in Bedfordshire, it seems to be some sort of automatic line tester....... I hope.... :nonplus:

David said:
...Get the same thing over in Bedfordshire, it seems to be some sort of automatic line tester....... I hope.... :nonplus:

We are beng plagued by a ring most, but not every, evening at 6.00pm. There is never anyone on the other end and the phone hangs up after appoximately 5 seconds. I put it down to the autodiallers some companies are using to cold call you. Any other theories?

I remember reading ages ago about a household who kept getting a call in the middle of the night, there was just a sigh then the line went dead. After a few months they discovered it was some sort of thermostat signal being sent down a line that used to belong to some sort of remote-controlled central heating boiler.

Darrg said:
I remember reading ages ago about a household who kept getting a call in the middle of the night, there was just a sigh then the line went dead. After a few months they discovered it was some sort of thermostat signal being sent down a line that used to belong to some sort of remote-controlled central heating boiler.

Interesting but i don't have one of those - - unless it's the SKY digibox ringing me back LOL. :lol:

Neither did they - it was a re-used number and the previous user had failed to cancel the service ...

I used to get this two 'tings' in my old place in Croydon at around 02:15 in the morning. Not noticed if my current line does it.

I had this too and posted about it on a 'telephone weirdness' thread hereabouts.

It stopped, or I stopped noticing it, although we've had several changes of phones since then so perhaps the type we use now doesn't get 'twanged'.

yes! that happens here every night around midnight!
i thought it was just me LOL
our phone is ancient (35yrs old) wondered if that was anything to do with it?
(I live in cheshire)

cheers
tim

Back