• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ufo case with dead body on coal tip-Help

A

Anonymous

Can anyone help-I think I may be confusing two cases. I have the information myself somewhere but since married life/moving have had to store all my beloved fortean and esosteric books in boxs in cupboards-sad but true!
Anyway there was a case which I'm sure Jenny Randles wrote about involving a ufo sighting and dead body mysteriously appearing on a coal tip-I'm sure its got something to do with Scoriton Mystery and the whole Yamski/Adamski thing-which there really doesn't seem to be much about other than a brief outline-but I'm now I'm thinking I'm wrong. The Scoriton mystery seems more quirky than sinister.

A 56 year old coal miner of Polish birth called Zigmund Jan Adamski was discovered dead on the top of a heap of coal in a Todmorden coal yard five days after his disappearance from home on 6th June, 1980. This was some twenty miles distant from his home in Tingley, near Wakefield.

The connection with George Adamski was the coincidence of the name - not uncommon in Poland.

There was speculation at the time that a UFO had dropped him onto the coal heap! The body was discovered at 3:45 that afternoon and the son of the yard's owner stated it had not been there at 8:15 that morning.

Various other explanations have been suggested. He was in poor health and may have wandered in a confused state to his death. I think I have also read that Adamski was unpopular with workmates and had been a "blackleg" during some industrial action.

The details here are taken from Modern Mysteries of Britain by the Bords. I can find no connection with Scoriton, Devon, where a UFO was reported to have been seen in 1965. :confused:

It's been discussed a few times here - you may have to do a search...

The only other reference I know of - didn't one of the police officers involved in finding the body later go on to have a missing time experience a few months later?

There's a Modern Mysteries of Britain too? Oooh...

I got the Ancient ones book from Oxfam last month.

Jenny Randles actually wrote a whole book about this case and subsequent events in the same area - It was called the Pennine UFO Mystery - If you're lucky you may find a tatty copy in a charity shop somewhere, as I did, although my copy has since mysteriously dissapeared. Eithier that, or I spilt tea all over it and threw it out, which I do with my books on a regular basis.

MrHyde said:
The only other reference I know of - didn't one of the police officers involved in finding the body later go on to have a missing time experience a few months later?

Yes - PC Alan Godfrey had a UFO sighting and possible abduction experience afterwards.

Details here.

There was a small but detailed peice on the Adamski "coal tip" incident in the part-work The Unexplained ... if you can find it.

I'm sorry but I don't lend out my own volumes.;)

Those wacky aliens, eh? Don't tell me they aint got a sense of humour.

*image of classic "grey" alien with a clowns nose and big, spinning bow-tie*

The case in question was covered extensively on a T.V. programme called
"Strange but true" hosted by Michael Aspell
After the series a book was release of all the stories covered - it's in there too!

The Adamski case was very wierd and the conclusion by the coroner was interesting too!

Why did Mr. Adamski die with a look of absolute terror on his face and eyes wide open? Also there were no signs of any tampering or violence to the body. But I do seem to remember something strange was found...but I'm sorry to say I've forgotten! Maybe someone could look for the book!

Indra

There was some damage to the body actually: cuts on the hands and knees, an abrasion on the leg and a strange burn on his neck that had apparently been treated. It's worth pointing out he hadn't been in good health for a while before he died, either, which is probably why he died.

Strange stuff included him having shaved during the last five days of his disappearance, his watch missing and him having eaten recently, so wherever he had been he had been looked after, apart from the light damage to his body, and whoever he'd been with they'd nicked his watch.

Just an Idea

In referance to my post about the Villa Boas abduction etc being psi ops related-if you read the documnent that Jerry b very kindly downloaded for all to see; You will read that someone in England died as a result of to much experimentation by the CIA/Psi Op team. The guy volunteered for the testing but obviously didn't know what they had planned for him. I wonder if his name is clue to all this, maybe, just maybe the CIA were trying to reconvene the belief system they had bolstered with Adamski in the US onto someone else/the UK to see what would they could achieve. It kinda ties in with the claims made by the guy in the Scoriton mystery. And then there is the Alan Godfrey connection ( I only read about that connection on this board-is this verified). I know i'm adding 2+2 and making 500 but......

I don't think the person referred to in the article was Zigmund Adamski.
From what I recall of the case, he was just an old man who wasn't in great health - any connection with psi-ops is stretching the imagination by a huge margin in my opinion.

A few more notes on the case, from memory:

The substance that had been applied to his burn was never identified which added a touch more mystery to the story. Surely, if he had have been the subject of some covert operation by the likes of the CIA, then any ointment used would have been recognisable in lab tests.

The incident itself wasn't initially thought of in ufological terms until it was mentioned that it seemed that the only way he could have got on top of the coal tip was if "he was dropped from above". And of course there was the significance in the surname (although if I recall correctly, Adamski is a fairly common Polish name).

And yes - Alan Godfrey was one of the officers initially on the scene. This is confirmed in the excellent "Pennine UFO Mystery", now sadly out of print - but well worth picking up if you see a copy in a second hand bookshop - and subsequent Jenny Randles books that mention the case.

This strikes me as one of those bizarre happenings that will just remain an unsolved mystery. Unless something turns up in disclosed CIA files, I wouldn't ever relate the two.

The thing is, one has to wonder how much of the detail in this case is just part of UFO folklore (i.e. has been rehashed by one author copying another), and how much is actually true. Whenever the details seem rather fanstastic, I often wonder how much embellishment has gone to make up for a lack of actual research.

This is always a valid point-Whitley blooming Strieber is always getting caught out on this!

Precisely.

On face value this is not a UFO story.

The only UFO aspects appear in relation to the man's name, the fact that Alan Godfrey, who was one of the police officers on the scene, went on to have his own UFO experience and the opinion of a witness who stated that it looked as though the poor fellow had been dropped onto the coal-tip from above.

The UFO link stems from the co-incidences involved.

Back