• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO footage taken in London

mrmonday

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A Scottish chap has apparently caught a UFO on camera in central London on Friday. His video has been picked up by The Sun. What's interesting for me personally is that my wife and I saw two very similar UFOs over central London when we lived there about four years ago. We were in our kitchen preparing dinner when we both saw two glowing orbs race across the sky in a sine wave pattern. What we saw looks much like the ufos seen here. I'm keeping an open mind as to its authenticity.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... ondon.html

EDIT Here's the Youtube Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDIF-ZwJbF0

Ah, just saw this on youtube and hopped on over to FT because I knew someone would have posted it!
Having said that, I have no idea what the specks are other than to say that they seem to move in a similar fashion to birds. My initial thought was MANIPULATED! Then I thought perhaps birds (although flying very high) illuminated by the bright sunlight, but then I saw the disc/cigar shape??!

I work on the same street so will definitely be keeping an eye out on my ciggie breaks!

Just editing to say that I cannot believe one of the commenters on the sun vid states it's someone firing off clay pigeons, that must be about as far fetched as OMG ALIENSSS!!1!! ?

The people holding cameras and looking up at the sky appear to be acting, there's something about them that's very unnatural.

The actual object in the sky looks like rather bad CGI. I've seen much better done in After Effects.

Is it Soho? Home to many a post production company with easy access to facilities to manipulate it!

Yep, if it is too good to be true then it probably is...

Amazingly good quality footage, but surprisingly only caught by these few on the street corner. Something as spectacular as that was not caught by the millions of Londoners with camera phones?

Sigh, another attempt to hoodwink... :roll:

No actual name of the person who caught the footage? No evidence of the other person filming on his camera phone uploading his footage?

UFOs spotted over London?
A video of bright disc-shaped objects dashing through the blue skies over central London has been posted on YouTube.
[video]
3:41PM BST 26 Jun 2011

The footage was filmed near the BBC Radio 1 building in Great Portland Street, and shows specks of white light flying at high altitude over the capital.
A larger object then emerges from behind a cloud before vanishing moments later.

The YouTube user who posted the clip online wrote: "Right – took over a week to get it ... but finally managed to get these critters on camera on a clear day, and even get a close-up.
"It seems to be attracting quite a crowd now when they appear. Can anyone explain what on earth these lights are please?"

A separate video posted by the same user, alymc01, is believed to have been shot from inside the offices of a visual effects company called The Mill. The firm creates special effects for the film industry.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ondon.html

McAvennie_ said:
Oh ye of little faith! ;)

This is better than most UFO videos - it goes on for a couple of minutes, and also shows people on the ground looking at and filming something unusual. (Unless Derren Brown had hypnotised them all! 8) )

rynner2 said:
McAvennie_ said:
Oh ye of little faith! ;)

This is better than most UFO videos - it goes on for a couple of minutes, and also shows people on the ground looking at and filming something unusual. (Unless Derren Brown had hypnotised them all! 8) )

Yet none of them have come forward with their own footage?

And this amazing phenomenon was only seen from that one specific spot in Soho - where as has been stated there are several effects agencies? Obviously nobody else in the whole of London saw what seems to be a pretty unmissable air show? And of course the UFOs cloaking device meant that nobody noticed this encroachment into probably one of the most protected bits of air space in the UK?

I may be too cynical, but I'm just getting sick of people thinking that anyone with an interest in the paranormal is an idiot who will just buy anything.

This does not convince me in the slightest.

McAvennie_ said:
Not everyone rushes off to YouTube with their pics.

But unless you have checked out all the UFO and anomaly websites, your statement is too sweeping.

rynner2 said:
McAvennie_ said:
Not everyone rushes off to YouTube with their pics.

But unless you have checked out all the UFO and anomaly websites, your statement is too sweeping.

Well the three bits of footage I have seen of this all seem to be taken on incredibly good, almost HD, cameras. Seems a little too lucky for me.

And, if you surf YouTube you will find people post the most inane stuff and if you go to any public event you will see more than a minority watching the events through their camera phone rather than with their eyes. If this was as visible as it apparently was amateur camera-phone footage would be all over the web. People would have been Tweeting stuff like "OMG juz seen UFO ova London #LondonUFO" etc etc...

But no, it was just spotted in one specific street, by one guy who happened to have a great HD quality camera handy and was able to perfectly capture the movements of the objects. If you have ever tried taking a photo of a plane at an air show you will know how hard it is to find and focus on it - let alone apparent alien technology with its speed and turning ability.

Sorry. Unconvinced and awaiting the announcement later in the week from some smug FX whizz about how it was all a well-planned ruse.

I thought the most amusing part was the way the large disc played peekaboo with a convenient cloud. :D

Ronson8 said:
I thought the most amusing part was the way the large disc played peekaboo with a convenient cloud. :D

The footage is too clear and neat, plus with the FX company offices being right by where this was filmed...

What are the 2012 mascots meant to be? Are they aliens? Wouldn't surprise me if it winds up being some Olympic viral advertising stunt.

Some of the posters on here are starting to really get on my wick now.

Feel free to show your detailed analysis and video breakdown of how it has been faked.

3 separate videos all filmed in diff locations supposedly and uploaded to YouTube by diff users, yet all are crystal clear near HD quality and two of them have similar zoom effects etc... But all by independant people. Yep. Course.

As for how, I am not au fait with CGI effects but Google After Effects UFO and you can see plenty of things like this. How the heck do you think they make effects in sci-fi films? Of course it is doable. The fact that one of the video posters YouTube account also has a video inside a known FX agencies office is a slight hint.

Apologies for not automatically scooping my jaw off the floor at this footage. :roll:

No footage or pictures or anything pleases you.

Why do you post on here?

McAvennie_ said:
What are the 2012 mascots meant to be? Are they aliens? Wouldn't surprise me if it winds up being some Olympic viral advertising stunt.

My mate designed the mascots, they are meant to be pieces of metal from the construction of the stadium.

These clips did not seem at all convincing to me, though I was sitting right next to the Belfast on the Thames yesterday afternoon and there was a strange point of light that was stationary really high up, seemed to glint in the sun, was watching it for about 10 mins then it just disappeared, didnt see it fly away or move at all, just winked out, tried to get a pic but phone didnt pick it up. No matter how secure airspace is to man made devices I am pretty sure an advanced machine from who knows where wouldnt be phased by our radar systems.

painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

Is that a prerequisite to posting? I thought you were allowed to question things on this forum.

Someone has already said that the observers looked like they were acting and I agree with this. If a group of random people stopped on a street corner like that, you might expect some variation in their appearence, age and ethnicity especially in central London, but to me they all look like students or arty media types who could have all just walked out of the same office.

If I'm missing the point and they did in fact know each other, then why bother leaving the office en masse and going down to street level, when in fact the workplace window provides an excellent vantage point (as shown in his previous clip)? To give a more authentic feel to it by providing views of Londoners going about their everyday business, or to distance themselves from the visual effects studio they work in?
Also, regarding the 'mothership'. When it is seen to be playing peek-a-boo from behind the cloud, it is as if it is done for the benefit and point of view of someone on that very street corner, when something that high in the sky would be visible to people in a very large radius.
Or maybe it was filming back. :p

painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

So only people who accept things at face value, even if they look faked, or at the very best, suspicious, should be allowed to post on here? I thought this board was for believers and sceptics alike? To try and work out the truth behind the matter, not just pat each other on the back for sharing a belief?

painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

Because it is a forum, which last time I checked is a place for debate and the discussion of ideas. I've put forward several reasons why I believe the veracity of this footage needs further scrutiny.

Perhaps you could put forward some of your reasoning why we should just blindly accept this footage without question?

Let's not forget the summer is downtime for effects houses, everyone's out spending the budget and shooting stuff. Picks up around August.

An effect like this in one of those post production places is peanuts to do, they've got equipment that could have done this years ago. Much faster these days.

Moooksta said:
Let's not forget the summer is downtime for effects houses, everyone's out spending the budget and shooting stuff. Picks up around August.

An effect like this in one of those post production places is peanuts to do, they've got equipment that could have done this years ago. Much faster these days.

A quick look on YouTube shows that there's people with two weeks experience on After Effects that can not only match this footage, but better it. So for someone in the business, it's probably less effort than scratching your balls.

I still maintain that the actual moving object itself is poorly done. It actually looks like CGI. And as mentioned above, it appears to move for the benefit of the camera, at the specific angle needed to best suit the viewer, rather than taking advantage of the whole sky at its disposal.

Less is more. I think these people tried too hard to make it look authentic, but when you add that many variables, there's the chance for more weak links in the chain. And for me, personally, the other people holding up cameras were the clincher. They look completely unnatural. Like student film makers, trying to blend in but thinking, "Oh my god, I can't believe we're going to fool people like this."

davidplankton said:
Also, regarding the 'mothership'. When it is seen to be playing peek-a-boo from behind the cloud, it is as if it is done for the benefit and point of view of someone on that very street corner, when something that high in the sky would be visible to people in a very large radius.
Or maybe it was filming back. :p

Exactly - all the action takes place in a small patch of sky, 'luckily' in a direct line of sight to the recorder.

Let's not also forget that London airspace is busy, and quite a few people live there - were there any stories of that airspace being shut down and a great mass of people seeing this 'event'? No.

painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

I feel actually personally attacked by this question. I am on this board because we don't blindly believe everything, yet we are no sceptics [apart from a couple of posters]. We would all LOVE to find evidence of alien life, ghosts, anything really but too often we have been disappointed. We got our hopes up and it turned out to be a fake. So excuse us if we actually want decent 100% [or thereabouts] evidence before clapping our hands in excitement.

Sometimes there is footage of ghosts that I consider 'noteworthy' but that is as far as it gets. Meaning it could be something more but I can't prove it.
This UFO footage however doesn't make it into that category at all. It is IMO one of the worst fakes I've seen recently. The way those things fly is so darn typical of CGI movement that it makes me sick. The people are all in it. The reason is that if others look up [real people], they don't get it. In one scene the actors [instead of the sky] are even photographed by a woman. To me that is the biggest evidence of fakery because she obviously took the picture thinking this must be some sort of performance art.

There are plenty of forums full with people who'd believe anything without questioning. I'm for one am glad this one is different.

McAvennie_ said:
painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

Because it is a forum, which last time I checked is a place for debate and the discussion of ideas. I've put forward several reasons why I believe the veracity of this footage needs further scrutiny.

Perhaps you could put forward some of your reasoning why we should just blindly accept this footage without question?

But you don't debate, you just dismiss, all the time.

Where have I said you should blindly accept it? Don't go making things up now, you don't like people who make things up.

Dingo667 said:
painy2 said:

Why do you post on here?

I feel actually personally attacked by this question. I am on this board because we don't blindly believe everything, yet we are no sceptics [apart from a couple of posters]. We would all LOVE to find evidence of alien life, ghosts, anything really but too often we have been disappointed. We got our hopes up and it turned out to be a fake. So excuse us if we actually want decent 100% [or thereabouts] evidence before clapping our hands in excitement.

Sometimes there is footage of ghosts that I consider 'noteworthy' but that is as far as it gets. Meaning it could be something more but I can't prove it.
This UFO footage however doesn't make it into that category at all. It is IMO one of the worst fakes I've seen recently. The way those things fly is so darn typical of CGI movement that it makes me sick. The people are all in it. The reason is that if others look up [real people], they don't get it. In one scene the actors [instead of the sky] are even photographed by a woman. To me that is the biggest evidence of fakery because she obviously took the picture thinking this must be some sort of performance art.

There are plenty of forums full with people who'd believe anything without questioning. I'm for one am glad this one is different.

I'm sorry you are vulnerable enough to feel "personally" attacked by my comment.

Not my problem though

I'm sorry - is this a five-minute argument, or the full half-hour?

WhistlingJack said:
I'm sorry - is this a five-minute argument, or the full half-hour?

I am not arguing, just airing my views, as I keep getting told it is a forum, and I am allowed to air my views.

Well let's debate then, all you seem to have done is complain that people are dismissing this footage?

What exactly about it makes you think it is real?

Do any of the following points not raise any suspicion in you?

- Three separate clips of a UFO event ALL filmed in stunning HD? How often does even one UFO clip get caught in such good clarity?

- Two of the clips uploaded by diff people yet both featuring the same fade effect with 'Slow Motion' and 'Half Speed' slowly crawling towards the screen? Is that just coincidence that two people with stunning HD UFO footage both choose to edit their clips in the exact same way and then both upload them to YouTube relatively anonymously?

- In each clip other people are seen or heard commenting on or filming the UFOs, yet no other witnesses appear to have come forward, and no other footage of less than stunning HD quality has come forward?

- Not one actual name to accompany any of these three sightings? Amazing footage, yet all three who caught it have decided to stay anonymous? Not taking advantage and doing all the TV shows to talk about their sighting?

- Nobody else in London saw this? An amazing air show above the city on a clear day, yet only three people saw this and in the age of camera phones, and with all the tourists in London with cameras, nobody else took footage or tried to film it?

Those are just some basic questions I would ask, not even taking into account the possibility it was done of After Effects or the fact that the spot on the corner of Bolsover Street/Clipstone Street where the main footage was filmed is a 10 minute stroll from the Great Marlborough St offices of visual effects agency The Mill (who produce sci-fi effects for Dr Who among others).

Maybe proffer up some feasible answers for those questions and fight your corner rather than just moaning about people not believing in something without offering anything to the debate yourself.

Back