• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO observed from airliner (IHTM)

markoos

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi all,

I've never posted but I've been reading FT and visiting the website for many years. I have a number of 'IHTMs' which I'd like to share eventually - even if it's just an opportunity to finally record them properly - but this recent event I'd like to share in case anyone else saw it.

Traveling back from Pisa to Birmingham International in the UK, Saturday 19th Sept 2009. We departed Pisa at sometime around 3.00pm Pisa time, and at approx 4.06pm Pisa time, somewhere over Europe mainland, I witnessed a UFO.

Conditions were bright with occasional cloud. Earlier on the starboard side I had watched another airliner some distance away, traveling alongside us but below - not so far as to be difficult to watch (my girlfriend watched it when I pointed it out). It was easily recognisable, white body, red fin and a decent vapour trail. I mention this because the aircraft was a good distance away yet very easy to identify as such.

At approx. 4.06pm I observed a UFO - a spherical white body flew towards us again on the starboard side but not as far 'below' as the airliner observed earlier. There was cloud some distance ahead and to the right, and cloud behind. I was seated perhaps three rows in front of the starboard engine - I watched the object move rapidly from it's origin in my viewpoint into a cloud which was in the mid distance and would soon be obscured by the starboard engine cowling/shroud.

The object entered the cloud but didn't seem to pass through or reappear. I had to crane my neck to continue to watch the cloud to see if the object reappeared but it didn't see this happen, and it probably took about five seconds for the cloud to become totally obscured by the engine, and then completely out of my view.

The object took about 1.5 seconds to cross the viewing field offered by the airline window before entering the cloud. Anyone else on the starboard side of this flight by any chance?

markoos said:
Anyone else on the starboard side of this flight by any chance?
That would definitely be one for the coincidence thread if there was! 8)

I'm tempted to ask if WIlliam Shatner was aboard and did he try to warn you?
:D

Can you guesstimate a size?

Have you considered a weather balloon at all?

mooks out

rynner2 said:
markoos said:
Anyone else on the starboard side of this flight by any chance?
That would definitely be one for the coincidence thread if there was! 8)

What's just as interesting is, I knew something worth photographing was going to appear as I fastened my seatbelt. We had been to a wedding and we have a fairly decent camera so 'knowing' something was going to happen, I set on to burst mode for multiple fast shooting.

But after 45mins or so I got a little bored of waiting for 'it' to happen and put the camera away. Typical.

Moooksta said:
I'm tempted to ask if WIlliam Shatner was aboard and did he try to warn you?
:D

Can you guesstimate a size?

Have you considered a weather balloon at all?

mooks out

Cannot really estimate size - but after reading your comment about weather balloon - well, taking into account the field of view offered by the cabin window...perhaps the object wasn't flying towards us at all, the closing speed of the aircraft onto a (more or less) stationary object could have given the impression that it was headed in the opposite direction.

I can't say it wasn't a balloon, that's for sure!

I have a number of 'IHTMs' which I'd like to share eventually - even if it's just an opportunity to finally record them properly

Please post when you get round to it, I know it can be hard but it will help other people who might have had similar experiences.

azuredoor said:
I have a number of 'IHTMs' which I'd like to share eventually - even if it's just an opportunity to finally record them properly

Please post when you get round to it, I know it can be hard but it will help other people who might have had similar experiences.

Will do.

Back