• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ufo over midlothian

As i said if or when there is any new footage taken then i will post it up in here you always get a lot different views on what it could be.

Quote by me

Better still the more that come out from the wood work the better it is, and the whole picture you can see very clear indeed.

Can't we reach a compromise? Maybe it was a black helicopter?

I watched the Thor movie the other day and it reminded me of the saying, 'To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail', as he shoutily bashed his way across the screen.

But I have a similar problem with johncdbg1's posts in that every light in the sky appears to be a UFO. Even if we entertain all possibilities, angels, aliens, cloudbeasts, earthlights, pan-dimensional swamp gas - whatever, their appearance near his house occurs on such a regular basis it leads me to doubt all of them in favour of a more rational explanation.
I could say there's something interesting to learn about the viewer's interpretation of the normal as paranormal but it wouldn't make as good a youtube video as a blinking light.

Totally agree, Jimv1.

This is what has been responsible for dampening my interests in the paranormal over the last few years.

YouTube is full of bloody fake videos. CGI, badly written scripts, and loyal followers who'll believe anything they're given, because it confirms what they already believe. And worse than that, and much more frequent, is the videos of nothing, with misleading titles and fantastical claims about the before and after, of the actual footage, which by bad luck, they just missed out on.

The same is true for ghosts. Lots of videos of orbs, and an absolute denial of anything that tries to put it in more realistic terms. Dust? No way, the door was closed, there couldn't possibly have been dust in the room.

I remember while growing up, most of the images and videos we got to see were at least semi-impressive. The unimpressive stuff didn't get picked up on. We got to see ghostly faces in the shadows, weird lights in the sky, that didn't look like anything we knew up there, and stories that really gripped the imagination and begged for more investigation.

Now, with everyone having a video camera of some sort, even if it's just on their phone, we get mostly footage that means absolutely nothing to anyone but the person who saw it, and attached their own agenda to it. It's all about the fifteen minutes of fame, or finding something that The Sun might pay £50 for.

It totally dilutes the product. And, for me at least, makes it a lot less interesting than it was. How infrequent and uninspiring are recent UFO events when believers have to cling to something that looks like a helicopter, or a Chinese lantern to keep the dream alive?

I guess, really, it shows that there probably isn't anything out there after all. After all these years, and with the amount of cameras out there in almost every city, we still don't have any worthwhile evidence. Instead, people are snapping shots of distant lights in the sky that could be anything, and promising that it was much, much more.

DieDieMyDarling said:
Totally agree, Jimv1.

This is what has been responsible for dampening my interests in the paranormal over the last few years.

YouTube is full of bloody fake videos. CGI, badly written scripts, and loyal followers who'll believe anything they're given, because it confirms what they already believe. And worse than that, and much more frequent, is the videos of nothing, with misleading titles and fantastical claims about the before and after, of the actual footage, which by bad luck, they just missed out on.

The same is true for ghosts. Lots of videos of orbs, and an absolute denial of anything that tries to put it in more realistic terms. Dust? No way, the door was closed, there couldn't possibly have been dust in the room.

I remember while growing up, most of the images and videos we got to see were at least semi-impressive. The unimpressive stuff didn't get picked up on. We got to see ghostly faces in the shadows, weird lights in the sky, that didn't look like anything we knew up there, and stories that really gripped the imagination and begged for more investigation.

Now, with everyone having a video camera of some sort, even if it's just on their phone, we get mostly footage that means absolutely nothing to anyone but the person who saw it, and attached their own agenda to it. It's all about the fifteen minutes of fame, or finding something that The Sun might pay £50 for.

It totally dilutes the product. And, for me at least, makes it a lot less interesting than it was. How infrequent and uninspiring are recent UFO events when believers have to cling to something that looks like a helicopter, or a Chinese lantern to keep the dream alive?

I guess, really, it shows that there probably isn't anything out there after all. After all these years, and with the amount of cameras out there in almost every city, we still don't have any worthwhile evidence. Instead, people are snapping shots of distant lights in the sky that could be anything, and promising that it was much, much more.

Never use newspapers,i do not look for any fame thats why the videos are on youtube at no cost to the viewer.

Better still some people can never see anything hunting all there lifes but blocked from seeing,funny thing is believers just know i see you are one of the later,i hope you find something in your life,but alas so far you have found and have very little to prove otherwise.
Last reply

johncbdg1 said:
Never use newspapers,i do not look for any fame thats why the videos are on youtube at no cost to the viewer.

Better still some people can never see anything hunting all there lifes but blocked from seeing,funny thing is believers just know i see you are one of the later,i hope you find something in your life,but alas so far you have found and have very little to prove otherwise.
Last reply

That sums it up, John. YouTube is exactly where people ARE getting fame. It takes a bit of initiative and effort to get your name in the papers, or to get yourself on the local news. But anyone can get on YouTube, using sensational titles with things like UFO in it, to ensure hits, while deleting comments from anyone who says anything that disagrees with the wild claims.

Uploading a video to YouTube with an honest title like, "Unknown light in Midlothian skies" wouldn't pique people's interest. Likewise with, "Helicopter-like light in the sky, but I'm pretty sure it's not a helicopter".

jimv1 said:
I watched the Thor movie the other day and it reminded me of the saying, 'To a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a nail', as he shoutily bashed his way across the screen.

But I have a similar problem with johncdbg1's posts in that every light in the sky appears to be a UFO. Even if we entertain all possibilities, angels, aliens, cloudbeasts, earthlights, pan-dimensional swamp gas - whatever, their appearance near his house occurs on such a regular basis it leads me to doubt all of them in favour of a more rational explanation.
I could say there's something interesting to learn about the viewer's interpretation of the normal as paranormal but it wouldn't make as good a youtube video as a blinking light.

Not saying we know everything,but we have many films of known objects in the skies over midlothian,in fact i can say only the unkowns are posted,i ask you nothing i do not know why you would want to entertain all possibilities that UFOs are real,lets face it you think you know everything and can see
nothing,sorry but facts are facts you are one of lost walking around seeing nothing.
As i said this keeps your life simple i bet you dont know what this is but on second thoughts you could,and no silly replys.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqunss ... shortfilms

johncbdg1 said:
Not saying we know everything,but we have many films of known objects in the skies over midlothian,in fact i can say only the unkowns are posted,i ask you nothing i do not know why you would want to entertain all possibilities that UFOs are real,lets face it you think you know everything and can see
nothing,sorry but facts are facts you are one of lost walking around seeing nothing.
As i said this keeps your life simple i bet you dont know what this is but on second thoughts you could,and no silly replys.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqunss ... shortfilms

See, that's the thing, John. You're the one claiming to have the answers. Other people are merely stating their opinion that they think it's a helicopter. You, on the other hand, are quick to shoot them down, should they disagree with you. You're not seeking out the truth, you're seeking out people who will agree with you. Just like in the comments on your videos.

If you're going to make sensationalist posts and upload videos to YouTube with sensational titles, the onus is on you to show that it's more than a helicopter, especially when it looks like a helicopter.

The case may very well be that you videoed something that looked very abnormal, doing supernatural things, but the fact remains, in that video, nothing special happens. It just looks like a helicopter in the sky. If all you have to back up your own assumption, is, "I've seen helicopters before and this wasn't one", then that's just not good enough to make people believe that it's a UFO.

You can still believe it. You can still tell people what you think it is. And you can even still try and convince people it is what you think it is. But you can't expect everyone to just accept it for the sake of accepting, against what their senses tell them.

johncbdg1 said:
sorry but facts are facts you are one of lost walking around seeing nothing.

That's a pretty big assumption considering you know as much about me as you seem to know about rational investigation. I regard myself as quite observant and not prone to jumping to conclusions and leaping for the impossible when I see a bright light.

And unless the mods object, I'll be as silly with the replies as I fancy thankyouverymuch.

jimv1 said:
johncbdg1 said:

That's a pretty big assumption considering you know as much about me as you seem to know about rational investigation. I regard myself as quite observant and not prone to jumping to conclusions and leaping for the impossible when I see a bright light.

And unless the mods object, I'll be as silly with the replies as I fancy thankyouverymuch.

LOL jimv1,like a few others you talk utter nonosence,and its not silly but utter humiliation of your self you practise,your right why would any one object when they LOL at you,entertaining you are but in a sad why it is.

johncbdg1 said:
jimv1 said:
johncbdg1 said:

LOL jimv1,like a few others you talk utter nonosence,and its not silly but utter humiliation of your self you practise,your right why would any one object when they LOL at you,entertaining you are but in a sad why it is.

And there we have it. Again. The real John comes out.

jimv1 said:

No objections, at all, as long as things stay reasonably civil.
johncbdg1 said:

I'd consider giving you a warning, johncbdg, if it wasn't for the fact that a lot of that statement doesn't appear to to make any real sense, whatsoever.

Suffice it to say, from what I can make out, accusing others of talking utter, 'nonosence', when for the last several years, you have been posting videos of wobbly, out of focus, blobs of light in the sky, as UFOs, many of which, many, many, other board members have helpfully identified for you, as stars, planets, aeroplanes and helicopters, is a bit rich and less than generous.

Please keep your remarks civil and at least attempt to be a bit more coherent.

P_M

DieDieMyDarling said:
johncbdg1 said:
jimv1 said:
johncbdg1 said:

And there we have it. Again. The real John comes out.

And how would you ever know who was real or not.

johncbdg1 said:
And how would you ever know who was real or not.
Ah now could this be a clue, you are actually a computer and you have succeeded in passing the Turing test. :)

I started a thread a while back on 'the diminution of Forteana' mainly as a response to the rise of youtube videos showing blurry, zoomy in-out shots of lights in the sky proclaimed to be UFOs.

As far as I'm concerned, when I see these movies I feel the whole essence of Forteana is somehow diminished. And when i see johncbdg1's replies I can't work out how someone so thin-skinned at taking criticism would consistently put himself in a position to have his footage questioned.

Johnbcbdg1 claims to have the facts but i'm still waiting to be enlightened by a single frame of his movies I'm afraid.
And by the way ....I have seen ufos. A more spectacular event than just a light in the sky so it's not as if my mind is closed or is sceptic to the concept.

However, I do appreciate his Cameronian message wishing me Lots Of Love.

jimv1 said:
I started a thread a while back on 'the diminution of Forteana' mainly as a response to the rise of youtube videos showing blurry, zoomy in-out shots of lights in the sky proclaimed to be UFOs.

As far as I'm concerned, when I see these movies I feel the whole essence of Forteana is somehow diminished. And when i see johncbdg1's replies I can't work out how someone so thin-skinned at taking criticism would consistently put himself in a position to have his footage questioned.

Johnbcbdg1 claims to have the facts but i'm still waiting to be enlightened by a single frame of his movies I'm afraid.
And by the way ....I have seen ufos. A more spectacular event than just a light in the sky so it's not as if my mind is closed or is sceptic to the concept.

However, I do appreciate his Cameronian message wishing me Lots Of Love.

Claiming nothing,as for your own ufo sighting with out pictures or video even hand held and shaky video,then a story is all that it is for all we know you may be making it up,you see where i am coming from on this spectacular event you had it could be put down to many things if true?.

I do hope you appreciate that.

johncbdg1 said:
Claiming nothing,as for your own ufo sighting with out pictures or video even hand held and shaky video,then a story is all that it is for all we know you may be making it up,you see where i am coming from on this spectacular event you had it could be put down to many things if true?.

It's true...it could have been many a number of things but a lie it isn't. The interesting thing is they were a one-off and I was standing next to someone with top-notch scientific and educational qualifications who was also equally flummoxed by this event. I am open to the idea it was satellites etc but it seemed to us that they weren't conventional aircraft.
However, it's interesting that you claim that it's all about the footage as evidence when you produce loads of footage on a regular basis that plainly isn't.

jimv1 said:
johncbdg1 said:

It's true...it could have been many a number of things but a lie it isn't. The interesting thing is they were a one-off and I was standing next to someone with top-notch scientific and educational qualifications who was also equally flummoxed by this event. I am open to the idea it was satellites etc but it seemed to us that they weren't conventional aircraft.
However, it's interesting that you claim that it's all about the footage as evidence when you produce loads of footage on a regular basis that plainly isn't.

Standing next to someone with top-notch scientific and educational qualifications,you must have felt so small, and you think there word is better than the common lads and lassies who see ufos? well now back in the real world UFO sightings are common world wide?.

You claim

By the way,in your own words,(I have seen ufos. A more spectacular event than just a light in the sky)

You change

Then in your own words(It's true...it could have been many a number of things}
I thought you said it was a ufo?

I am open to the idea,that ufos are real.

As i said i claim nothing,but i hunt for the truth.

As i said a story two replys first its ufo then its not.

sorry

Next

johncbdg1 said:

You claim

By the way,in your own words,(I have seen ufos. A more spectacular event than just a light in the sky)

You change

UFO means, Unidentified Flying Object. So, when jimv1 says that what he saw could have been any number of things, he means, that he could not identify the what he saw. The phenomenon remained, unidentified.

The difference between what he and his fellow witnesses saw and the blurry offerings that you regularly bring us, is that your UFOs only remain unidentified, to you.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
johncbdg1 said:

You claim

You change

UFO means, Unidentified Flying Object. So, when jimv1 says that what he saw could have been any number of things, he means, that he could not identify the what he saw. The phenomenon remained, unidentified.

The difference between what he and his fellow witnesses saw and the blurry offerings that you regularly bring us, is that your UFOs only remain unidentified, to you.

Well to me it looks like he new what they looking at, and then post it up as a UFO?.

I do sky fishing many hours spent doing boring it is,and then post up UFOs as in unidentified shaky hand held but after all the routine check-ups are done they remain ufos.

johncbdg1 said:

I do sky fishing many hours spent doing boring it is,and then post up UFOs as in unidentified shaky hand held but after all the routine check-ups are done they remain ufos.
But, only to you.

johncbdg1 said:

Can you make them less shaky, please?
Better camera, full HD, tripod etc.

That might actually help us identify some of these unidentifiable objects you are filming.

Mythopoeika said:
johncbdg1 said:

Can you make them less shaky, please?
Better camera, full HD, tripod etc.

That might actually help us identify some of these unidentifiable objects you are filming.

All on its way,but will still have to do hand held when needed.

Better still you ever seen ufo footage taken with TV cams bet you never.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
johncbdg1 said:

But, only to you.

Not only me.i would post up facebook link and then you can have good talk all cards on the table,nothing to hide.

here are a few sights you can post a reply on footage.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkywatcherScotland/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayjay19822007/videos

http://thephenomenon1.blogspot.co.uk/

http://skywatcherscotland.blogspot.co.u ... ht-on.html

http://skywatcherscotland.blogspot.co.u ... -post.html

johncbdg1 said:
Standing next to someone with top-notch scientific and educational qualifications,you must have felt so small, and you think there word is better than the common lads and lassies who see ufos? well now back in the real world UFO sightings are common world wide?.

It's difficult to understand what you're getting at here. I'm the same height as the people I was with. And I would have thought that having someone with a scientific interest would be an advantage in this situation. It's not a matter of class but a matter of experience and education that rules out things like Venus, satellites, helicopters and lanterns. Seriously, you do occasionally get people reporting the Moon as a UFO.

Well to me it looks like he new what they looking at, and then post it up as a UFO?

What I said in both cases is correct. I could describe the movement and actions of the light sources but not the actual sources themselves. So to me, they remain unidentified.

I don't see why you have a problem with this distinction....or there again, perhaps I do.

Better still you ever seen ufo footage taken with TV cams bet you never.

Once again, you're making huge leaps and guesses about people's experiences that aren't true. I'm guessing most of us have seen the camera footage featured in Arthur C's programme and a simple search in google reveals a huge list of footage from South America alone. Try a search on 'TV crew film UFO'.

Finally, I can't understand your rudeness and hostility to a post that would appear to lend a bit of credence to your position. Instead of looking at it rationally, you've tried to trash the source - which is remarkably odd for someone who claims do be a SkyAngler.

That's a bit mixed up IMHO.

jimv1 You claim

You change

Its difficult to understand what you are getting at here,{Seriously was it a UFO or not your spectacular event}?.

We all would love to know yes or no.

johncbdg1 said:
..Then in your own words(It's true...it could have been many a number of things}

Its difficult to understand what you are getting at here,{Seriously was it a UFO or not your spectacular event}?.

Ronson's right - UFO means it's unidentified. Meaning precisely it could be "many a number of things". Any and all things you see in the sky that you can't readily identify are...unidentified.

It's not even remotely difficult to understand. Unlike your apparent attitude to the experience of anyone else, i.e "I see genuine UFOs, you see explicable things that you can't explain." - surely you can see the syllogism at work here?

stuneville said:
johncbdg1 said:
..Then in your own words(It's true...it could have been many a number of things}

Ronson's right - UFO means it's unidentified. Meaning precisely it could be "many a number of things". Any and all things you see in the sky that you can't readily identify are...unidentified.

It's not even remotely difficult to understand. Unlike your apparent attitude to the experience of anyone else, i.e "I see genuine UFOs, you see explicable things that you can't explain." - surely you can see the syllogism at work here?

I see many things,and my {syllogism} conclusion is they are UFOs,what i do not understand is why lead readers of this thread one way then another way,yes UFO means its unidentified i agree, just pointing this out about the spectacular event all i ask was it a UFO or not,then with times and dates we could rule out what was in that area,then we could say it was UFO or not we may even be able to say it was a secret program etc,or a trick of the light etc or a craft not of earthly origin.

johncbdg1 said:
I see many things,and my {syllogism} conclusion is they are UFOs,what i do not understand is why lead readers of this thread one way then another way,yes UFO means its unidentified i agree, just pointing this out about the spectacular event all i ask was it a UFO or not,then with times and dates we could rule out what was in that area,then we could say it was UFO or not we may even be able to say it was a secret program etc,or a trick of the light etc or a craft not of earthly origin.

Or a helicopter.

Back