• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFO?

A

Anonymous

On Christmas Day. when I was about eight or nine, which would be 1976, my dad had been working on the night shift at Dungeness Nuclear Power Station in Kent (UK).. His journey home was about twenty miles and took him through Romney Marsh. As he passed through the nearest village he noticed a bright light and, as he later recalled, thought that the local church had some kind of light nearer to our home. As he approached our home he became aware that the light was following him and as soon as he got home raced in and locked the door. This, as far as I can remember was quite early in the morning, and it was still quite dark.

We all went to the front room and saw the light appear to hover in the field opposite for several minutes and then quickly disappear. There was no noise as would be apparent from a helicopter and the light appeared to move faster than an aircraft.

The whole family was quite shaken and my dad unusually frightened as he is normally fairly down to earch.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this could of been or know of any UFO "activity" around the East Kent area at the time.

This might be a case of swamp gas, since your dad was driving through a marsh. Not being a scientist, I can't give you a proper explanation; it has something to do with combustible gasses from rotting vegetable matter igniting and behaving something like ball lightning.

Swamp gas has been trotted out to explain many things. Near where I grew up it was used to explain the Brown Mountain Lights--unfortunately, Brown Mountain is nowhere near any kind of swamp!

As a matter of interest, I postead this thread in the early days of the mb...

space man picture
Does any one remember a photo reproduced in several papers of the time, around the mid sixties, it was of a small child, I think it was a girl sitting on a grassy hill on Romney marsh, in the background is a nuclear power station.
To the right of the child is what appears to be a figure in a space suit. apparently it was checked by photographic experts who said it was not a double exposure and could not explain it, the child's farther who took the picture swore he saw nothing at the time.
Any more info would be welcome.

Marsh gas and photo

Sorry but Romney marsh despite its name is not the sort of marsh that produces gas, its nearly all sheep and well drained arable land, (but well known that locals are born with webbed feet!). As for the photo of the girl and spaceman, I think that was in Cumbria, near Sellafield/Windscale.

The late Michael Bentine lived in the Romney area I believe, and reckoned it was pretty spooky. He set one of his paranormal novels there.

I remember that photo! - it must be on the internet somewhere.

Don't Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer live near Romney Marsh? Or did I imagine it? Probably in a giant shoe or something. Unless it's Rodney Marsh they live near. And doesn't Bob look more like Kevin Spacey every day?

I will shut up now. I promise.

*Bit later...

Here's the picture.

More here and here.

As for the photo of the girl and spaceman, I think that was in Cumbria, near Sellafield/Windscale.

This was discussed in the earllier threads it was a different picture.

Romney Marsh is not much of a quagmire, although it can certainly hide wild boar and Lynx which inhabit the area. Most of the surrounding areas are remote yet flat. There hasn't been a tremendous amount of UFO activity recorded there...Alpha, did your dad estimate a size to this light ?
As for the 'spaceman', I thought it always looked a bit dodgy because it was kind of slanted in the picture and looked kind of inflatable!
The picture is available in many books, I think THE UNEXPLAINED magazine used it too.

Cursed said:

Don't Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer live near Romney Marsh? Or did I imagine it? Probably in a giant shoe or something. Unless it's Rodney Marsh they live near. And doesn't Bob look more like Kevin Spacey every day?

Vic used to live in Aldington which is quite close to the Romney Marsh area but I think has since moved to Sandgate, near Folkestone.

Bob lives in Warehorne, opposite to the farm where my sister and brother-in-law live. Unfortunately, the house looks fairly normal.

By a strange coincidence, Rodney Marsh became involved with one of the local football clubs, Ashford Town FC, when my business was involved with them, leading to all sorts of Rodney/Romney Marsh jokes. Unfortunately, he left when he apparently fell out with the other investors.

Re the "UFO", I will give my dad the third degree in the next few weeks to try and get any further information.

The pic of the Cumbrian spaceman make me think of those novelty hot air balloons.

As for Romney, certainly havn't heard of any ufo activity down there.

Ninja: Special-Shapes that sophisticated hadn't been invented at that time.

Niles "Former Aeronaut" Calder

Back